Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Empire Mod Architecture Primer

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Default Re: Empire Mod Architecture Primer

Aah!

I see, no I have no idea what Thib has done, but I have seen several people with the same issue you have.

What it was for me; I actually put .txt on the end of the file when I created it, so my file came out as user.empire_script.txt.txt (I forgot that creating a new txt by right-clicking and creating it from the new menu automatically makes it a txt file by default.)

Once I edited my user.empire_script.txt.txt to actually be user.empire_script.txt, it worked like a charm.
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

Ketzerfreund's Avatar Domesticus

And it's exactly the right-click-context-menu-creation of a text file that doesn't work for me...

Wait a second... Do you use Vista? I use XP. Maybe there's a diference between what both regard as a text file...
    "Oh, to be truly happy! To be an imbecile." - Wobbly Headed Bob

I do use vista.

Have you tried opening notepad, i.e. from the start menu, then opening a new file, adding the lines you need, saving it as the proper name (-the txt in the name, just to be safe LOL?) Then dragging it and dropping it or saving it directly to the scripts folder?

Let me know.

Ketzerfreund's Avatar Domesticus

Nope, XP's notepad keeps creating truly pure text files, whichever way it's started.

By the way, the thing about the .txt extension only has to do with whether you've got the option to have file extension displayed in Windows' folder options on or off. Mine is on, so I always see the file extensions, thus something like *.txt.txt can't happen to me.
    "Oh, to be truly happy! To be an imbecile." - Wobbly Headed Bob

Should have seen me struggle with that for like two days LOL!

TO MAKE YOUR user.empire_script.txt WORK:

When you save your text file, go to SAVE AS and select UNICODE under encoding. The reason it wasn't working before is that Windows defaults text files to ANSI, which empire doesn't like.

I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men, and German to my horse. -Charles V

My Mods- PipMod, LeatherUI, Spain Retexture+flag swap
    My website

Thanks waronmars!

A nice bit of information to know.

Unicode did the trick. Thanks waronmars.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Good to see the close interaction and support from CA's Jerome
    Empire obviously sets free a lot of new modding-talents showing up publicly on TWC

And all the infos here and in the already very active mod workshop will help me to make some custom changes on my ETW, for my personal use (as i intend to retire from the active modding front soon).

On making the needed user-script txt file: ... lol, that was good
    ...normally, a txt file is a txt file is a txt file...
    People could also make a copy of the existing preferences.txt, delete the entire content of it, then add the needed mod command line, and change the file name ... just in case somebody has an issue with changing it to the right unicode format, should work as well to get noticed by the engine.
    Last edited by DaVinci; March 21, 2009 at 04:25 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
    You can use mod my_mod.pack as a command line for shortcuts etc.

How can I do that? Does anyone knows?
    I tried to add the command "-my_mod.pack" in the shortcut, but it doesn't work .

EDIT: Never mind. It works!
    Last edited by Boicote; March 21, 2009 at 08:19 AM.

wtf is this JUST NOT wanting to work for me no matter what! seriously i did everything correct this time i made txt file saved as unicode it says just like this "mod moises_mod.pack;" but that cant be problem then i made my own .pack and exported all files i want to edit and imported them i edit the fergusion riflemen accuracy no luck i made sure pack is on mod it is so i try adding the command line still NO luck please help me i have been trying to get this to work since mr thibs first released his tutorial

Miles

I've posted help for you in the other thread...

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Quote Originally Posted by moisesjns View Post
    wtf is this JUST NOT wanting to work for me no matter what! seriously i did everything correct this time i made txt file saved as unicode it says just like this "mod moises_mod.pack;" but that cant be problem then i made my own .pack and exported all files i want to edit and imported them i edit the fergusion riflemen accuracy no luck i made sure pack is on mod it is so i try adding the command line still NO luck please help me i have been trying to get this to work since mr thibs first released his tutorial
    If you have no luck with this change, then perhaps try something else, just to check if it is this particular change, or if it is just the process you are applying (obviously wrong), just a thought.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

tried manyprocess lol it's increasingly frustrating but ill eventually get it and if new patch comes out i dont care i already copid my patch.pack so im good

nvm i got it it is working perfectly tursn out i had 2 db folders lol thats 2 hrs i have been trying to ge tthis to work and now i have

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

I have a problem: I can't get localisation files to be recognised when I put them in a mod pack. I can neither overwrite the existing localisation.loc nor does adding a new file to the text directory work (the latter doesn't work in patch.pack either so it's probably not supposed to work the same way as the db files).

So, what's the supposed way of creating new string entries, and what happens if I don't want to add strings for all languages?

Thanks

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

are you sure Unicode is needed exclusively? I was playing the smoke 2.6 mod last night, and my user.empire_script.txt was ANSI encoded, and the mod seemed to be working.

I've just changed the format to unicode though.
    My named ships in Empire Total War: (that i can remember)

Fifth Rate, HMS Poseidon.

Fifth Rate, HMS Dauntless.

Fifth Rate, HMS Enterprise NCC-1701

Fifth Rate, HMS Simi.

------
    "Ya best start believing in ghost stories Miss Turner. You're IN one!"

I am pretty sure that smoke mod is set to patch file type, which means you will not have to add it to the user.empire script.

If you edit smoke mod into the FPM, and set the patch type - what type is it? The default smoke mod, downloaded from here, should be patch packed.

Let me know! Hope this help!

I changed it to Mod type, and it still worked. Even after I re-encoded script file.
    My named ships in Empire Total War: (that i can remember)

Fifth Rate, HMS Poseidon.

Fifth Rate, HMS Dauntless.

Fifth Rate, HMS Enterprise NCC-1701

Fifth Rate, HMS Simi.

------
    "Ya best start believing in ghost stories Miss Turner. You're IN one!"

♔ST0MPA♔'s Avatar Ordinarius

Do mods added into the script file have priority over the way they install in regards to the order they are listed, if for example my user.empire_script has mods listed in this order

mod mod_weaponsfx.pack;
    mod mod_music.pack;
    mod mod_nolod4.pack;
    mod mod_skins.pack;
    mod mod_smokeblood.pack;
    mod mod_tighter_formations.pack;

and I want to use a different skin (say russian) that is in mod_skins.pack. do I have to delete the russian skin from mod_skins.pack, or would I just need to put the mod_russianskin.pack to the top of the user.empire_script.

mod mod_russianskin.pack
    mod mod_weaponsfx.pack;
    mod mod_music.pack;
    mod mod_nolod4.pack;
    mod mod_skins.pack;
    mod mod_smokeblood.pack;
    mod mod_tighter_formations.pack;
    "Yeah tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death; I shall fear no evil... for I'm the meanest sonofa in the valley."

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast