Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Empire Mod Architecture Primer

Miles

Default Re: Empire Mod Architecture Primer

Thanks a lot, that's very helpfull indeed !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    .... last but not least I also tried adding a new binary piece to the trait levels effects table but none of the three worked.
    I've actually add a new binarie in a custom patch file wich add new battle personalities and it work in game (I've put it in the DB\battle_personalities_table\ but gave it an other name like My_personalities and just put in the new rows).

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    I hate to be a party pooper but Jerome, this doesn't work as you say. The mod packs are not read at all.

Ok, it looks like I will need to go into a bit more detail about declaring mod packs to the game. You currently do need to tell the game which mod packs you want to have active. You do this by passing the game a script command for each mod you want to have active.

Here's a step-by-step guide:

- find your preferences.empire_script.txt file (in Application Data on an XP machine)
    - create a new text file next to it called user.empire_script.txt
    - inside there, list your mods like this, one line per mod:
    mod my_pack.pack;

The user script gets processed on load, and will tell the game to load your mods in that order. There are a whole bunch of other commands that can be used from there, including dependency definitions and so on, but we'll leave those for now. As I said, this is a quick preview of mechanisms that will be properly documented in the mod dev package.

So, about running 'unpacked'. Yes, the game currently will run unpacked, but doing that will alter the way in which the data precedence works in some cases, which means that as we add more patches it's not guaranteed to keep working. It may be convenient to work that way while tinkering with a mod, and that's fine, it's exactly why the feature exists, but I'd strongly recommend against giving other people mods which work like that. One last note - LtChambers is actually correct when he's seperating the released packs by CA into 'boot' and 'release' categories, but it's a minor distinction which has no real practical value from your point of view - for a modder, the two might as well be identical
    Last edited by JeromeGrasdyke; March 19, 2009 at 08:30 AM.

Hi Jerome,

sorry for asking this here, but can you estimate, just ruffly, when you are planning to release this tool? Or at least a guess

Or is this confidential?

And again....
    A lot of

Jerome, thanks again for the tips and the clarification.

Just a quick question, will we receive an importer for 3ds Max (most likely an maxscript) to import the model files? And then, of course and we'd need an exporter created by CA to re-export the models back into the game. Thanks for the answer in advance.

No, that isn't a banana

Very cool way to add mods. Thanks for the info.

RodeoX's Avatar Foederatus

Thanks for the info. Glad to see that modding will be so supported. I can't say that I have heard that from another official source.

Thanks for all the info, now that I know about the mod order... time to make mods for myself... lol.

XiombargDei's Avatar Civis

though i'm not a modder i have to say i really appreciate the fact that you are delivering info

Quote Originally Posted by JeromeGrasdyke View Post
    I have to say it's great seeing you guys making headway so quickly.
    nothing can be more understandable seeing the great potential of this game
    as well as its numerous flaws, bugs and missing features.
    Last edited by XiombargDei; March 19, 2009 at 09:45 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
    Jerome, thanks again for the tips and the clarification.

Just a quick question, will we receive an importer for 3ds Max (most likely an maxscript) to import the model files? And then, of course and we'd need an exporter created by CA to re-export the models back into the game. Thanks for the answer in advance.
    What he said.

I too am a 3ds Max user (Hobby, not professional though), and I too would like to see an exporter that's compatible with versions of 3ds 7 through 9, since I have 8, and if it's not possible for us to have binary .dlu or .dle files, could we please have the maxscript equivalents in the dev kit?

Thank you in advance and for the great clarification. Rep to you sir.

Oh, and one last thing, you guys should really consider hiring LtChambers.
    My named ships in Empire Total War: (that i can remember)

Fifth Rate, HMS Poseidon.

Fifth Rate, HMS Dauntless.

Fifth Rate, HMS Enterprise NCC-1701

Fifth Rate, HMS Simi.

------
    "Ya best start believing in ghost stories Miss Turner. You're IN one!"

freekyjason's Avatar Civis

i love CA's support for the modding community with the total war series. build a game and, knowing its going to be pulled apart and reassembled by the players, help facilitate modding

thanks for the info jerome, great to have an update

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Sounds interesting, a bit like the system used for Oblivion. I'll wait for the dev package to be released before commenting, since it's clear a lot of the information needed for mods that aren't mini-mods is not yet present.

Creative Assembly is awesome talk about supporting their fans through modding. You have made a great game. Gotta love CA

Ketchup's Avatar Senator

Well for one thing, it will cut out all the "I DONT KNOW HOW TO INSTALL THIS MOD!!!!!!!" threads! It seems that it will be as simple as moving one file in and/or out. Excellent architecture CA

Roma Surrectum 2.0 Team Member
    R.I.P Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by Captian Barbossa View Post
    Oh, and one last thing, you guys should really consider hiring LtChambers.
    I was considering apply for a CA job in their Australia branch a few years ago but decided I didn't want to move. I have a cushy grant funded job now, hehe.

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Quote Originally Posted by JeromeGrasdyke View Post
    Ok, it looks like I will need to go into a bit more detail about declaring mod packs to the game. You currently do need to tell the game which mod packs you want to have active. You do this by passing the game a script command for each mod you want to have active.

Here's a step-by-step guide:

- find your preferences.empire_script.txt file (in Application Data on an XP machine)
    - create a new text file next to it called user.empire_script.txt
    - inside there, list your mods like this, one line per mod:
    mod my_pack.pack;

The user script gets processed on load, and will tell the game to load your mods in that order. There are a whole bunch of other commands that can be used from there, including dependency definitions and so on, but we'll leave those for now. As I said, this is a quick preview of mechanisms that will be properly documented in the mod dev package.
    Ok, this worked. Thanks a lot So will a launcher be included to make sure players don't have to edit these files manually?

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchup View Post
    Well for one thing, it will cut out all the "I DONT KNOW HOW TO INSTALL THIS MOD!!!!!!!" threads! It seems that it will be as simple as moving one file in and/or out. Excellent architecture CA
    I'm not quite so confident because mod enabling will apparently have to be done through those config files but it's a similar process as the mod folder architecture from M2TW or EU3

Edit: Besides, is the same "stitch together" approach that happens for the DB files also working with the localisation files?
    Last edited by alpaca; March 19, 2009 at 02:41 PM.

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

Dam, CA have now got more awesome points than God. This could cause a holy war. God's angels VS CA's Samurai, Medieval Swordsmen, Roman Infantry, Shinier Medieval Swordsmen, and Line Infantry. Sucks to be God.

Ok, this worked. Thanks a lot So will a launcher be included to make sure players don't have to edit these files manually?
    You can use mod my_mod.pack as a command line for shortcuts etc.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
    You can use mod my_mod.pack as a command line for shortcuts etc.
    So either a custom batch file or direct editing of the icon command will do this?

Will this work for loading multiple mods? If so, what seperates them in the list?

i.e.

mod mymods1.pack mymod2.pack

or

mods mymods1.pack mods mymods2.pack

or what?
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

priam11's Avatar Campidoctor
    Toronto-Home of the crack smokin Robbie Ford

He had me at Hi All...........

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast