Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: How to create a custom unit - a complete guide

Default Re: How to create a custom unit from the scratch - Complete Rookie's Guide (unfinished)

Wiz: I love you.
    Can't wait to see the first wave of custom units!

Default Re: [Tutorial] How to create a custom unit from the scratch - Complete Rookie's Guide

Thanks, but be sure to love those guys too who I credited in the OP.

Default Re: [Tutorial] How to create a custom unit - Complete Rookie's Guide

I've been making some texture changes now, but i really want to understand how to make those fancy .pack files, wich i don't!

so I thought I would follow your tutorial (wich seems excellent btw) but I did not get very far. Take a look att the picture...

Why does this happen?
    I really suck at these things : P

Quote Originally Posted by Esskil View Post
    I've been making some texture changes now, but i really want to understand how to make those fancy .pack files, wich i don't!

so I thought I would follow your tutorial (wich seems excellent btw) but I did not get very far. Take a look att the picture...

Why does this happen?
    That's a strange error message, it hasn't happened to me. Are you sure you properly followed the steps in this guide? Did you have other mods installed on your vanilla ETW? If yes, they could interfere... Probably the best thing for you to do is to reupdate ETW on Steam and follow the steps from the start.

edit: also make sure that you have the latest Pack File Manager downloaded.

Great job mate

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Esskil View Post

Why does this happen?
    This bug is because of some preblems with the online definition, I had it too.
    Just go in the option in your PFM (by the side of the add row, clone row...) and uncheck the online definitions stuff and that should work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MrThib View Post
    This bug is because of some preblems with the online definition, I had it too.
    Just go in the option in your PFM (by the side of the add row, clone row...) and uncheck the online definitions stuff and that should work fine.
    thanks m8, it's working now

I'm having trouble creating a new pack for this one. I've googled around, and I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I used this guide to create a unit, I followed it and did exactly what it told me. Then I created the user.empire_script.txt file (saved it with Unicode encoding like google told me) and put "mod testmod.pack;" in it, without the quotation marks. Yet, it doesn't load. Spelling is correct, no errors in the .pack file as far as I know, I've triple-checked the guide and there's nothing.. Is there something else I must do for the game to understand I want to load the .pack file?

I'm using my own pack cause the one linked in the sample pack thread contains alot of things that might conflict with my other mods. Either way I'd really like to know how I'm supposed to go about making my own .pack file so I don't run into this problem again.

Alright I just realized I forgot to change the pack type to mod, so I went back in the PFM and changed it to mod, saved it and started the game, but while on the loading screen I got the "Has encountered a problem" error.

Tried creating a completely new .pack and setting it to "mod" at once and then importing the old files, same error.

The problem appears to be the text file I think. I tried creating a new .pack file with the default files in it, but I got the same error when starting.
    Last edited by Sorkenlol; March 22, 2009 at 06:00 PM.

Firstly, just because you haven't received a reply in 30 mins is no reason to post the same thing in 3 places. Secondly, check you renamed the db's in your mod.pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jams79 View Post
    Firstly, just because you haven't received a reply in 30 mins is no reason to post the same thing in 3 places.
    Sorry, I'm just a bit frustrated. I hate it when these things happen and I have absolutely no idea how to go about fixing it.

Secondly, check you renamed the db's in your mod.pack.
    Ah.. I have to do this? By db's you mean the tables files? (unit_stats_land) etc?

Well the pack file works now, thank you! But I'm still not seeing the unit in custom battles. I've edited the files listed in the tutorial, there's nothing more I need to edit?

Woops, it appears my TSV files weren't imported properly and I have to re-do it manually in the new pack file, I'll see if that'll do it.
    Last edited by Sorkenlol; March 22, 2009 at 06:15 PM.

Yep, if you don't rename them they overwrite the original file. If all you've got in your db/table is one unit the game will crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorkenlol View Post
    I'm having trouble creating a new pack for this one. I've googled around, and I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I used this guide to create a unit, I followed it and did exactly what it told me. Then I created the user.empire_script.txt file (saved it with Unicode encoding like google told me) and put "mod testmod.pack;" in it, without the quotation marks. Yet, it doesn't load. Spelling is correct, no errors in the .pack file as far as I know, I've triple-checked the guide and there's nothing.. Is there something else I must do for the game to understand I want to load the .pack file?

I'm using my own pack cause the one linked in the sample pack thread contains alot of things that might conflict with my other mods. Either way I'd really like to know how I'm supposed to go about making my own .pack file so I don't run into this problem again.

Alright I just realized I forgot to change the pack type to mod, so I went back in the PFM and changed it to mod, saved it and started the game, but while on the loading screen I got the "Has encountered a problem" error.

Tried creating a completely new .pack and setting it to "mod" at once and then importing the old files, same error.

The problem appears to be the text file I think. I tried creating a new .pack file with the default files in it, but I got the same error when starting.
    You don't have to create new packs, the sample mod pack (my_pack.pack) includes every file you need to modify, except for the units_to_gov_type_permissions tab which you have to import from the main.pack. Try look into this thread what you might have done wrong, it includes pictures as well but it's based on the previous PFM:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=239419

Thanks, I got the pack part working now.

I have yet another problem, now the second row in groupings_military wont change to the one I choose (venice_group), it just turns blank when I've saved.

EDIT: Nevermind, worked after a few times of times pressing "Save"
    Last edited by Sorkenlol; March 22, 2009 at 06:26 PM.

Also double-check if your unit name is the same everywhere in the tabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
    Also double-check if your unit name is the same everywhere in the tabs.

Alright thanks, I'll do that. Got a crash when entering the faction in custom battle this time, I'm must've spelled something wrong. Going to check.

I still have some "custom_unit" left-overs in the files, is that fine?

I noticed the "units_class_to_unit_ability_junctions_tables" file, do I need to edit this one aswell?

Holy crap, it works! The unit has got no name though, it just says (Skirmishers), but it still works! Thank you guys very much!

EDIT: Fixed it by importing the same loc file to patch_en.pack Working all good now, great tutorial.
    Last edited by Sorkenlol; March 22, 2009 at 07:09 PM.

I'm glad it worked in the end.

Miles

I've posted the tutorial on how to texture custom units.
    post there any question concerning the process or the tutorial itself.

Thanks for creating a tutorial that is simpler than mine. You've just saved a lot of my time from editing my tutorial. Great work! +Rep to you, Sir.

Miles

@wiz:
    concerning texture editing, you don't have to extract the whole model.pack or to delete it.
    just extract the textures you want to edit and leave the model.pack be.
    Now, in your mod just do the add file stuff and add your modded textures
    (they should go to the good folder (unitmodels\textures) as this work like any other import/export feature of the editor).
    Save and enjoy your new textures in game saving at least 5Go of disk space.

@Thib, actually that's what I'm doing right now, I forgot to update the guide though.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will include it soon.