Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast

Thread: IB2 VANDALORVM II DISCUSSION/FEEDBACK

Default Re: INVASIO BARBRORUM 2 RELEASED BETA DISCUSSION

Quote Originally Posted by dajarvi View Post
    Alright. I have thoroughly tested the beta. I must say that I love the battle map. The detail to units and animations are really delicious. I also like the use of rivers on the campaign map. The color, the feel--it all blends together really well. Now for the constructive criticism:

Lots of folks have already posted really good ideas, so I will try to add something original. Try. =) The use of pagan temples could be used for not only as they are currently, but different temples could provide different units. It would be interesting to see a few more playable factions. I know Britannia has been overdone, but it is a good opportunity to provide a barbaric rise of Arthur, since the Roman legions have left. Maybe provide certain scripting for minor nations who are not playable who soul purpose is to raid Britannia. Like the irish. The saxons. It would also be interesting to somehow incorporate the Eastern half of the Roman Empire. Maybe they could replace the senate--occasionally offering military or financial assistance. The Romans wouldn't have exactly seen the take over of the Western half of their Empire as an invasion, but of political unrest. In fact, when the Germans took Rome, they didn't ransack the city or the temples. They just simply sent a letter to the Emperor in the East and said they were now the representatives of the Western half of the empire. Overall, a larger map is needed, but it doesn't have to include the east.

It would also be interesting to see the use of castles. Feudalism was very Germanic, and fortified homes, or castles, were coming into existence. Especially in extremely hostile environments like in Britannia and northern France. In fact, historically, city populations dispersed drastically. Most of the population dwelled in the rural areas. they idea of a "peasant" or serfdom was already in full affect. There were far more castles than cities. An idea, there, would be to have more castles, and make cities something for lords to fight over--a valuable source of extra wealth. The Dark Ages aren't dark, anymore. Historians consider it the Early Middle Ages, as so much archeology and discoveries have been made that really brighten it up.

In the case of the Vandals, they were at first strong, but did not survive very long. Rome, at the time of their usurpation, did not have a strong interior army because they could not afford it. The first defeat outside Constantinople was pretty much a clear path for the germans. Rome should be far weaker and more disorganized than the game portrays them. The germans were far more superior, militarily and in wealth. One of the big reasons the germans did not take constantinople was because it was impenatrable.

You could incorporate more german and celtic tribes as they compete against each other to become the representative of the Western half of the Empire.
    We thank you dajarvi and I personally enjoy your posts and ideas. Agree that ''Rome should be far weaker and more disorganized than the game portrays them.'' This is currently being worked on. I think the disorganization, inflation and the war and the political manuvering between Aetuis and Bonifacius would spin a downward spiral for the ruin of the WRE much faster as the go ahead by Bonifacius to the Vandals to take Africa.

Remember though in 429AD Aetius was very successful fighting all other incursions in Gaul. He defeated the Franks and held the Visigoths held in check. Not all was yet lost. As for ''The Germans were far more superior, militarily and in wealth.'' This I don't agree with..maybe in 463AD this holds water but not in my own opinion as of 429AD. The WRE in 429AD I think still held the upper hand.

I like your idea about using castles,.It certainly sets up a historical dark age-feudal feeling

I cant speak for the Ramon and the IB2 team but a larger map including Britain, of Gaul, Germania up to the Eastern Empire would be magnificent that also included other factions such as you mentioned. Another mod that we have an alliance and a great deal of respect for, EOR, already is making use of the Eastern Empire and the Sassanids so unfortunately I would think Constantinople is not in the cards
    Last edited by Riothamus; April 17, 2009 at 07:13 PM.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post

I like your idea about using castles,.It certainly sets up a historical dark age-feudal feeling

I cant speak for the Ramon and the IB2 team but a larger map including Britain, of Gaul, Germania up to the Eastern Empire would be magnificent that also included other factions such as you mentioned. Another mod that we have an alliance and a great deal of respect for, EOR, already is making use of the Eastern Empire and the Sassanids so unfortunately I would think Constantinople is not in the cards
    I support the idea... this would add a more realistic feeling and put the romans under constant pressure.
    Even though the ERE would propably not be in (as you mentioned), adding the ostrogoths would create a harder challenge to the east, since with the map ending where it does now, you can forget about the whole area east of the adriatic sea.

Cogito, ergo sum

Quote Originally Posted by dajarvi View Post
    It would also be interesting to see the use of castles. Feudalism was very Germanic, and fortified homes, or castles, were coming into existence. Especially in extremely hostile environments like in Britannia and northern France. In fact, historically, city populations dispersed drastically. Most of the population dwelled in the rural areas. they idea of a "peasant" or serfdom was already in full affect. There were far more castles than cities. An idea, there, would be to have more castles, and make cities something for lords to fight over--a valuable source of extra wealth. The Dark Ages aren't dark, anymore. Historians consider it the Early Middle Ages, as so much archeology and discoveries have been made that really brighten it up.
    Sort of from the institution of coloni, first bound to the land for life...then it carried to most other trades. The WRE administration was becoming to be seen as the oppressor when as the German noble within those lands became sought out as the protector even though he carried over the same coloni system.
    Last edited by Riothamus; April 18, 2009 at 01:10 PM.

Hello Everyone

maybe if EOR is released we can make same a mod?
    i love the frankish history maybe a mod over the rise of the Dark Age Franks?
    the rise of the christianity in France?

Bye.
    Last edited by Die_and_Walk; April 19, 2009 at 04:45 AM.

IBII will have Franks in their grand campaign i think

First impressions of the mod are great loved it but for improvements i would say that the Barbarians do need to be more powerful not rome weaker. I also think that the stock piling of money that seams to happen in all total war should be stopped eg any faction seems to be able to amass a huge fortune which means that even after loosing a huge number of men in battle they can be replaced to easily maybe giving higher army up keep + more expensive recruitment and buildings could solve this (because as far as i know part of the challlange of being emporer was trying to keep the empire out of debt not reclining on huge mountians of gold especially in 429AD)

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Marcus Ulpius Traianus View Post
    First impressions of the mod are great loved it but for improvements i would say that the Barbarians do need to be more powerful not rome weaker. I also think that the stock piling of money that seams to happen in all total war should be stopped eg any faction seems to be able to amass a huge fortune which means that even after loosing a huge number of men in battle they can be replaced to easily maybe giving higher army up keep + more expensive recruitment and buildings could solve this (because as far as i know part of the challlange of being emporer was trying to keep the empire out of debt not reclining on huge mountians of gold especially in 429AD)
    We built up cities to have more buildings farms etc..and even more so in the lands not occupied by the foederati Germanic tribes. This was done for realism. Roman army upkeep you will definitely see a major difference and you will feel the Roman pains of this era..Recommend you download the second patch that will be out shortly

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    We built up cities to have more buildings farms etc..and even more so in the lands not occupied by the foederati Germanic tribes. This was done for realism. Roman army upkeep you will definitely see a major difference and you will feel the Roman pains of this era..Recommend you download the second patch that will be out shortly
    sounds excellent

Hey just downloaded and played this mod and it really is very well put together. A few small things I would like to see changed though are:

• Bring back the unit banners and settlements names, I tried to manually incorporate them in the cfg file but they still do not appear.
    • More units for non Roman factions (I'm sure these are on the way!) and less ranged units! Just about all the units that non Romans have are ranged infantry that can melee aswell. Need some units that are just plain old melee or spearmen
    • Map still needs a bit of work, especially the river system running through the middle of Gothic territory.. it is all square and right angles.
    • Some factions descriptions are missing, completely missing from custom battles.
    • More factions in the grand campaign or more campaigns!
    Don't know if any of the above is planned to be implemented (I know this is a beta). Fantastic work so far though guys, really great to see a Roman time mod on the Medieval 2 engine! Units look fantastic too!

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ClimhazarD View Post
    Hey just downloaded and played this mod and it really is very well put together. A few small things I would like to see changed though are:

• Bring back the unit banners and settlements names, I tried to manually incorporate them in the cfg file but they still do not appear.
    • More units for non Roman factions (I'm sure these are on the way!) and less ranged units! Just about all the units that non Romans have are ranged infantry that can melee aswell. Need some units that are just plain old melee or spearmen
    • Map still needs a bit of work, especially the river system running through the middle of Gothic territory.. it is all square and right angles.
    • Some factions descriptions are missing, completely missing from custom battles.
    Don't know if any of the above is planned to be implemented (I know this is a beta). Fantastic work so far though guys, really great to see a Roman time mod on the Medieval 2 engine! Units look fantastic too!

Glad you like the mod. Adding units has been discussed in the developers forum. Patch 2 is going to make some changes to the map. The AI has been improved on the battle map level. Expanding the campaign to include more territory has also been discussed. Riothamus can give you a more detailed answer. We are all continuosly working to add features to the current beta.
    Last edited by midnite; May 05, 2009 at 12:08 AM.
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

Icon7 Re: INVASIO BARBRORUM 2 RELEASED BETA DISCUSSION

Are you working on getting the Latin and German voices in? Great work.
    • Karl Marx made a great contribution to the liberation cause of mankind, and because of his immortal exploits his name is still enshrined in the hearts of the working class and peoples of all countries.
      • [1], 1983, Let Us Advance Under the Banner of Marxism-Leninism and the Juche Idea

Quote Originally Posted by ClimhazarD View Post

Hi ClimhazarD

-Settlement names were put back in the first patch and will be there in the second patch.
    ...some of these things can be done through pressing f1 during your campaign

-There will be much more units for all factions in the second patch. The intensity will pick up quite quickly

-Nevada has done some terrific work on this, some pics I posted to show the work done on the map.

-Custom battles I know midnite has work hard to correct any issues with custom battles

-More factions will be coming..with maybe a nice surprise

one thing i have thought of is that alot of Roman troops look very similar and some troops eg legio commisates appear to be lightly armed insted of heavy chainmail

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Marcus Ulpius Traianus View Post
    one thing i have thought of is that alot of Roman troops look very similar and some troops eg legio commisates appear to be lightly armed insted of heavy chainmail

We are still in the process of creating heavily armored upgraded units. They are coming!
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

helmersen's Avatar Praepositus

Ok, sorry if this has been said before, but:

1. Please add the Eastern Roman Empire, maybe just one province far to the east, but it would've been cool to have'em
    2. More factions in Spain? It seems a little quite, perhaps

Great beta, I really like it Beautiful cities on the campaign map!
    Interested in how Attila and the new LONGBEARDS DLC plays?

Check out my Total War Attila: Jutes Let's Play: http://youtu.be/rFyxh4mj1pQ
    Check out my Total War Attila: The Langobards Let's Play: http://youtu.be/lMiHXVvVbCE
    Total War: Attila with ERE vs Sassanids GEM at max settings:
    http://youtu.be/jFYENvVpwIs
    Total War: Rome II Medieval Kingdoms Mod Gameplay: http://youtu.be/qrqGUYaLVzk

And remove heretics OR lessen their effect up to 10 times!

Quote Originally Posted by helmersen View Post
    Ok, sorry if this has been said before, but:

1. Please add the Eastern Roman Empire, maybe just one province far to the east, but it would've been cool to have'em
    2. More factions in Spain? It seems a little quite, perhaps

Great beta, I really like it Beautiful cities on the campaign map!
    If possible that would be great!

Roma Surrectum Greek/Spartan Researcher/Tester.

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by swhunter View Post
    If possible that would be great!

Nakharar and his team is working on EOR, east of rome. They are allied with us. The IB2 team is still planning on adding new content and improving the gameplay!!

yep we havent quiet started developing our Justinian armies as weve been concentrating on the Eastern factions more

♔Charles the Bold♔'s Avatar Ordinarius

I don't know whether this has already been posted but the speeches need to be changed. For example, my roman generals give speeches about 'England' which is a bit weird.