Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Curia Ivlia, Consulate of Crassus/Postumus

Default Re: Curia Ivlia, Consulate of Crassus/Postumus

Great!
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Senators, it was deemed too risky to send a full-scale mission, for which we would have almost certainly lost ships, and so the report has come in, but the news is mixed.

As you can see, the Carthaginian defence forces are insufficient to repel a serious invasion from our forces, but there is a sizeable independent army on the island. In addition, Sardinia is well-protected from any attack from Lilybaeum by the Carthaginian fleet.

Therefore, I propose I take one legion and one ala and invade Corsica, and we monitor the situation from then on. It will be easy to cross to Corsica in safety, and from there to Sardinia, but we must decide whether to conquer the whole of the punic isles or not. The Senate can decide that whilst I capture Corsica.

Therefore, I request 1 Legion and 1 Ala from the Senate to complete this task. Since the Gauls have shown little aggression, I think we could take 1 ala or either the Legio I Italica or Legio II Italica from the northern army to form half of this force. I intend to land these forces on the island, and quickly storm Aleria and it's port, which we can use to shelter our ships for the next phase of the operation.

Your thoughts, Senators?

OOC: Again, just used toggle_fow, since we wouldn't have to send our entire fleet to drop off one spy.
    Last edited by Lord Kal; March 22, 2009 at 01:42 PM.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

A sound plan, i support it.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

I cannot find anything wrong with it either, Consul. You have my support.

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

I support your plan Consul but only when the legions that are protecting the north will be refilled whit new maniples at the same moment. We can not weaken our defences on the north. Take the troops you need but train new ones at the same time.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Very well. I will take the First Legion, as I have commanded those men previously, and raise a new Legio IV Italica in their stead.

OOC do we need to make a motion about training new troops?
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Galerius Priscus's Avatar Centenarius

I support this motion as well, Consul Crassus, and it seems that I am not the only one.

May Mars guide your sword in battle, good Consul.

OOC: I need the Senate's approval for my plan, so I'll just wait to see if anybody objects.

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

"I actually mean to send out an envoy and get trade rights with other nations. A logical example of such a nation would have been Carthage, had it not been for some recent... 'troubles' in our relationship, but there are other nations on the Mediterranean.

Egypt, with its wealth of food, gold, cotton, ivory and fine jewellery and the Seleucid Empire, with its trade routes to the Eastern fringes of the world, to name but two. We would also need rights with some of the Greek Ports or the Macedonians because it is obviously too far to travel without some form of resupplying.

Therefore, I propose to get trade rights with the Egyptians, the Seleucids and the Hellenic League, so our merchants can sail East and bring those riches to Rome.

As for the mines, I have sent out some experts to look for minerals to be mined in Italia, I expect their report any day now."

ooc: I haven't checked yet, I'll do so right away.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

very good Quaestor.

As for the consuls plan, we are giving him the go ahead to invade corsica, and levvy a new legion for the northern army?

I am for it.

Bella Corsica et Sardinia 2

I: The senate approves of the Consuls plan and suggestion for troops, thus allowing him the Imperium noted in point I of the Bella Corsica et Sardinia 1

II: Furthermore, the senate orders the consul to recruit a new legion to be put under the Northern army.

Is this okay?

Since it has been discussed and there appears to be little cause for opposition, I will move it to a vote.

ooc maybe wait some more i don' t expect much opposition but still give other member a bit more time.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Aye, Crassus, your motion has my support.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    The way i see it, we institute a ProConsul in our city in sicily, and when/if we take Corsica and Sardinia we simply incorporate them as well.
    Herrenius claps.

Listen to this man, senators! Even if our constitution states that a proconsul is to be granted 2 provinces, it does not state what to do in the peculiar case of owning only one privince!

If there are no more than 1 provinces for a proconsul to take, then there is no reason to grant him the only province. It makes no sense that we cannot appoint a governor to our sole province because our constitution does not say what to do in such situation...

Once we acquire a new province, we shall grant the proconsul the other one.

Well, why can't we just name Sicilia one province and the Punic Isles another, and then later on we can integrate them into the same province?

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Enough of the arguing. I propose that the part of Sicily we own be incorporated into a province, and once we conquer territories of the Punic Isles, those shall also be incorporated into a province. Also we shall elect the Proconsul next term. Until then, I'm sure Consul Crassus will finish with Corsica, so we will have two provinces.

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

I suggested that legislation a while ago, Julius, and it was widely agreed that it was a good law by the house. However, due to the inactivity of our Consul this matter, which should have been sorted easily a long time ago, is still undecided. I again submit my legislation to be voted on:

1. A Province shall be created out of the Roman holdings in Sicily, centering around the city of Lilybaeum.

2. A new province will be created to take in the administration of Corsica and Sardinia, which the Senate recognises must fall within Roman control, to hinder the operations of Carthage.

3. A Proconsul shall be appointed, in accordance with the constitution, to manage the newly created province of Roman Sicily.

I have edited it minorly to fall into accord with the majority of opinion shared by Senators, and so Sardinia et Corsica will constitute a new and different province.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

I am completely for it, and with the ammount of debate already done on the subject ask the consul to move it to vote.

It has a problem. I do not have the Imperium or the necessary soldiers to capture Corsica and Sardinia. I can capture Corsica and half of Sardinia, but not both without further developments, and we may not end up with all of both islands at the end of the term.

Marcus pondered for a moment.

I am not sure how popular it would be, but a motion extending your Imperium could be made.
    Something to the effect of

Lex Crassus

I: Should the Consulship of Current Consul Crassus expire before the completion of the goals provided in the "Bella Corsica et Sardinia I" His Imperium will be extended and he will be allowed to retain command of the operation provided in the "Bella Corsica et Sardinia" untill such a time as those goals have been achieved.

II: His imperium will only last untill the goals have been completed, and he may after his consulship is over be recalled by the senate at any time, before those goals have been completed.

I think this would be beneficial, allowing a general to finish his operation, yet leaving the option open for the senate to recall him at any time should we want too. I do not think this would undermine the values of the republic, nor the constitution as there is no law stating a general MUST be consul.

The benefits of allowing a person to see an operation trough till the end (provided his shows his competence) is obvious. But this motion also allows us the option to very easily recall him should we, for some reason want too.

What does the senate think of this? and please, while i know some of you are uncomfortable with any extension of power, uncontrolled drooling or excessive shouting is not necesarry to proclaim your opposition to the motion.

Marcus said the last part while looking uncertanly at Ahenorbus(xav)