Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Ivlia, Consulate of Crassus/Postumus

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Default Re: Curia Ivlia, Consulate of Crassus/Postumus

Senator Geganius be calm as these words where aimed towards me. However senators i again ask you would you please give an answer to my question.

Would you prosecute any senator who is honour bound to vote for an other member of the senate?
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

I am for the creation of a pro consulate. The arguments against it seem like nothing but the scared ramblings of a man afraid to share power.

The making of a province makes a great deal of sense, from a military and governing view.

Marcus paused a little.

And if you are thinking to call me a traitor, Rutulus. I would advice against it, it might turn out to be the last words you ever utter.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Crassus thumped the bench and stood angrily.

"Enough!"

"Senators, this bickering has no place here! Macerinus! How dare you call the righteous and honourable actions of the great courts of Rome 'a murderous plot!' If I had a mind to, I could have you censured, as you imply that I, a standing Consul of Rome, VOTED FOR, no less," Crassus orated, smiling as he address the Senators, "am no better than a common murderer! Retract your words at once, and let us move on!"
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Crassus, I am sure you will be the first to stand up in support of a man right to believe. I do not retract my words, as that would insult the Senate, me lying to it, but I will however ask you to ignore them, surely the dellusions of an old man who has seen his friends cruelly taken from him. I will not censure my words when it comes to the horribles speeches of Saevus, which pollute his office.

Since this house is in favour of the creation of a proconsulship in Sicily, I submit the following legislation:

1. A Province shall be created out of the Roman holdings in Sicily, centering around the city of Lilybaeum.

2. This province will be expanded to take in the administration of Corsica and Sardinia, which the Senate recognises must fall within Roman control, to hinder the operations of Carthage.

3. A Proconsul shall be appointed, in accordance with the constitution, to manage the newly created province of Roman Sicily.
    Last edited by Junius; March 20, 2009 at 03:35 PM.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Crassus, still standing expectantly, glared at Macerinus.

"Well, Senator?"
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

I support the motion, except perhaps the part where Corsica and Sardinia should be added, for reasons I have stated before. However, the law could be kept without that point for now, and once the islands are conquered, with the aid of the gods, we could decide to add them or not.

OOC: C'mon fergus! Continue with the drama!

Would you prosecute any senator who is honour bound to vote for an other member of the senate?
    Well, Consul, a senator must vote for those he thinks are best suited to make Rome progress. If a senator decides to vote for a candidate fo any other reason, the law should certainly do something about it.
    Last edited by Ozy; March 20, 2009 at 03:46 PM.

I approve of the legislation.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Popillius rose

I think the following would be the best way to deal with our new territories:

A Proconsulate concentrating on Liliybaeumn, but consisting of all holdings on Sicily, as Senator Macerinus rephrased so nice.

I was then thinking of a Propraetor to rule over Corsica et Sardinia, but I changed my mind due to two reasons:
    Corsica and Sardinia would have no role whatsoever in war, or preperations of war, so a Praetor is of no use there.
    And secondly, another Senator proposed a ProQuaestorship, and THIS seems me good, because Corsica et Sardinia would be trade cities, to expand our oversee trade.
    One land, One king

Proud member of the SPQR TW community

I can support such a proposal. It makes sense.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Even if I disagree, slightly, with point 2, I will support this law...

I too support your law.

OOC:- Does that mean that when the Senate grows we are going to have more quastors and each one supervises the construction in each province.
    Caius Valerius Messala
    Patrician

OOC: Well if we have a governor it would be kind of repetitive to get a quaestor to handle the finances, when the proconsul/propraetor/governor can do it. As far as I know, the proconsuls get a budget and they do whatever they see fit with it.

IC:

Shall one of the consuls move the proposition so we can vote?

Galerius Priscus's Avatar Centenarius

You see, my advise on a Proquaestorate makes sense, no? said Senator Tullius Narses, smiling.

I agree with what Senator Popilius said.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Ahenobarbus sighed. Finally it was over. Men bicker and shout for months over the management of a city and its surrounding lands. What has the Senate come to? Ahenobarbus suddenly stands up and stalks out of the Curia Hall, followed by the curious gazes of many senators.

Vespasian looks at Ahenobarbus and quietly stands.

"I will support such a proposal."
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

Falco hurries into the Curia, scrolls in his arms, his toga crooked, hair standing out wildly and fairly unshaven for the past weeks.

"I wish to offer the Senate my sincerest apologies for my tardiness and for any delay which that may have caused. I have been running to and fro recently as my father died in one of the spring storms. He had been sailing to Tarentum, to finish a deal on the purchase of a piece of land when the storm struck.

There was legal ropepulling as to the ascertainment of my father's death, his will, the option he had on that land, and due to the fact that I succeeded him as Pater Familias it all came on my shoulders. That coupled with the grief have made these past weeks rather hectic.

Anyway, the state of our finances:

QUAESTORIAL REPORT FOR THE YEAR CDLX AUC

As you can see, we are rather well off, having room for at least one major project this year. However, a large part of our income is still gained from taxes. While I do not propose to lower the tax rates - we do not demand exorbitant amounts of money from our citizens as it is - I propose we increase our trade network, expanding our trade routes out at sea. We have some naval trade routes, but almost all are coastal and trade local goods. I propose we look outward to the Gates of Hercules and the Riches of the Near East. Our recent conquest of the trading post of Lilybaeum on Sicilia and the possible conquest of the Punic Isles give us the perfect opportunity to start this.

Furthermore, I propose to investigate the possibility of mining for minerals in Italia. We do not yet have mines, yet they could give us a nice amount of money, if built on a reasonably potent source."
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Celsus stood up gracefully.

"I am very sorry for your father's death, Marcus Lucretius. I'm sure he finds a worthy place beside the Gods.

Now for the report - good job: short, simple, yet contains everything that's needed. Mining! Just the thing we needed indeed; and now we have enough manpower to efficiently work the mines thanks to the slaves we captured during the war. (RP-wise)"

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

I still object senators. But as i have seen you all like our constitution just like i do. An there for are bound to follow it. There for i will Quote the constitution for you as it seems many of you have forgot about it.

The PROCONSULS shall govern two provinces of their choosing, and shall act in the place of a Consul
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

I agree. Mining should bring us lots of revenue which could be used for the war.

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

I put it to the Senate that we remove that article of the constitution, and replace with one stipulating that a proconsul shall act in place of a consul in only ONE province, and that they are appointed to that by a vote of the Senate.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus