Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Ivlia, Consulate of Crassus/Postumus

Default Re: Curia Ivlia, Consulate of Crassus/Postumus

"Umm, I believe you are mistaken, dear Censor. I have not nominated myself for the office, and if someone has done it for me, I would prefer if one of the younger senators took the office, so, I will not accept the nomination."

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

See my above suggestion, senator Narses. And yes, Pictor, someone else nominated you. But should you not want the position, then I suppose that is fine.

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

I say that if we are to go ahead with the invasion of Corsica and Sardinia, that these two islands, when conquered, should be constituted into a province, and that we maybe include Lilybaeum in that. Or else, we can rule Sicily directly from Rome, and only appointed a governor in the former case.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

It is not a question if we should attack these islands, we need to take them for several reasons.

Reasons why we need these islands :

- Carthage will try to retake lilybaeum, this means thy will focus there strength off assault on the island of Sicilia. If we don' t want to get attacked from behind we should take Corsica and Sardinia.

- Taking these islands will enlarge our power over the sea, it will protect us from rates that could be lounged from these islands.

- These islands will be good starting Naval and trading bases for military and economical undertakings.

I would say we leave one of the legions in Sicilia to protect it against invading forces. Recall the second legion ( i believe we send 2 legions to Sicilia, correct me if i am wrong) to be refitted and place it under the command of a consul to ferry it to the islands.

It is of great importance that we procede the plans of attacking carthage. Thy still aren' t recovered from the blow senator Ahenobarbus delivered them. Now is the moment to push on before thy regroup and recover.

This must be decided before doing any thing else at the moment.

My family and my self made a promisse to the Republic and the people of Rome to protect it against this enemy (see the speech in the rostra) whit the blessing of the senate and people i will fall in to ask you command of this legion. If the whise men of the senate decide not to grant me the right in regaining honour for my family and my self i will respect this and do what every you ask of me.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Citizen

I cannot condone you as leader of the army, my senses will not tolerate it. Never mind what you have or have not done, your brother's actions still stain Rome. We cannot allow a man so closely linked with him to lead an army. We do not know what power he still holds over his followers in Rome.

I do, however, agree with your other proposals, of attacking Sardinia and Corisica with a refitted legion. I suggest that the preparations are made recalling them, and getting ready to retrain their depleted units. We may also think of expanding the navy, based on the Quaestorial report, and if our finances allow it, building some warships so that we can wrest control of the seas from Carthage.
    Patron of Lysimachus

You can not hold a man responsible for the actions of an other man Senator Geganius. But i could claim the same senator, as you already stated you where a close friend of senator Marcellus, will this ensure all the other members that you where not a part of this conspiracy as well? We have no prove but if you use these sorts of insinuations thy could be used against you in the same way.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Galerius Priscus's Avatar Centenarius

I think it would be a good chance for Senator Volero to show the rest of the Senate and Rome that he has not only dissaproved the actions of his brother, and to prove his place as Consul...

Give him the Legion, I m sure that he will be able to prove us all that is to be proven.

people! put your offices in your ing signatures!!! remove the crap.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Citizen

Yes, Volero, but Marcellus is dead, taking his death like a true Roman. Your brother is still a fugitive abroad, more than likely plotting against Rome, with the vile Carthaginians. I do not think that many Senators will oppose my position, as I do not see how a brother of a traitor, still alive, can be entirely above suspicion. You have not even climbed the Cursus, but claimed the Consulship merely because no man stood against you. I do not dispute your position, but I would feel happier, safer in the knowledge that we had a true and tested man, like Crassus, at the head of the army taking the Punic Isles.
    Patron of Lysimachus

I would endorse an invasion of the Punic Isles and the establishment of a proconsulate. I would also be happy to lead the invasion, since there is a certain lack of confidence about my colleague. Hopefully he will prove himself over the course of the term, but it would be strange to give him a consular army and send him so far from Rome, particularly where he may come into contact with his brother.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Well colleague i am sure the soldiers will not tolerate a meeting. Thy will seal this with my dead.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

I do not doubt you will prove a worthy Consul over the course of the term. There is much other work to be done, Carthaginian raids may still continue, and the Gauls must be watched.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

See, now, Postumus how the sins of your brother still follow you. How the republic is seemingly against you.

I am, however, willing to give you a chance.
    I am willing to see how the gods judge you. After all, mortal men are fleeting, and our opinions matters naught when we must stand before Minos. I am willing to hand you a paltry number of troops and send you against the Carthaginian general on Sicily. Come back to us alive, and we will know that the gods have forgiven you.

Die on the battlefield, you will still be honored for your sacrifice, and you would have atoned for your brother's offense.

What say you, senators of Rome? Shall we send the boy?

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

ooc What general on Sicily? This is about the invasion of Corsica and Sardinia.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

ooc: didn't there use to be a carthaginian family member on sicily? Or did he move?

Crusades

I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

OoC: Punic field army is still present, i think.

I am appalled at your suggestion saveus! you talk of this as if it were a game! There are roman and italian lives at stake! This is not something we undertake for your cheap amusement, i will hear no more of this blatant disregard for good romans!

Consider the suggestion, and any such VETOED.

The people shall hear your words saevus, and know what you truly think of them.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

What I think of THEM or what I think of the kins of TRAITORS? I am willing to see the extent to which the gods love our young consul, not to foolishly gamble lives away. No Roman would be sent out with him, only Italics. He will need to master both human leadership as well as holy obedience.

Crusades

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

I suggest that the proven man Crassus goes to conquer the western isles. It is incomprehensibly to send an untrained unproven man to lead a naval invasion. I cannot trust Volero for his lack of experiance.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

I agree. We cannot risk victory in this war to test if the gods support this man or not. Are there no other ways to know if the gods approve this man?

Send the man as an emissary to the North to demand trade rights from the Gauls.

Crusades