Page 8 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: "Insufficient memory" & "CTD" - workaround

Barkhorn1x's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: "Insufficient memory" & "CTD" - workaround

Quote Originally Posted by Tobobu View Post
    Sadly we can't use the modified exe with the new patch anymore.
    I went and modified the new EXE and have had no issues. What I have had issues with is bink32.dll from another game I was using. Post patch the game just would not start so I had to go back to the old version.
    "Après moi le déluge"

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Tobobu View Post
    Sadly we can't use the modified exe with the new patch anymore.
    I just did it for the first time today, and it worked.

I upgraded everything on my PC except my video card on Sunday and I've been getting a lot of CTDs lately(oh the irony; no CTDs with my old, weaker set-up, yet I get plenty on my new, stronger rig). I followed the steps, and so far so good. I'm in a middle of a game right now, and have been playing for a bit over a couple of hours now.

So big thanks to MadBoris.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie291 View Post
    I just did it for the first time today, and it worked.

I upgraded everything on my PC except my video card on Sunday and I've been getting a lot of CTDs lately(oh the irony; no CTDs with my old, weaker set-up, yet I get plenty on my new, stronger rig). I followed the steps, and so far so good. I'm in a middle of a game right now, and have been playing for a bit over a couple of hours now.

So big thanks to MadBoris.

Ok, I'll give it a try.

Definately seems like this "fix" can be easily applied to the new .exe file. That´s good at least.

Now if only the sound bugs could be murdered...

Spaxspore's Avatar Campidoctor

yea <2gb patch applied easily for me with no problems with the march 25th update.

Hmm......

Before the March 25th patch. I rarely got the insufficient memory crash. Now I get it all the time. I always thought I wouldn't run into this problem since I have a 64 bit OS and 6 GB of RAM. Oh well live and learn. I'll try this workaround and see if it helps me. Wish me luck.
    'It is not the Prussian Army which for seven years defended Prussia against the three most powerful nations in Europe, but Frederick the Great.'
    - Napoleon

This method should still work, modify .exe is only way to play for me currently.
    Go for the eyes Boo! The eyes!

"Boo! Oh, you've been a naughty hamster, mister! Don't you ever scare Minsc like that again!"

AKA TheCookieMonster @ http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/directory

Parashar's Avatar Libertus

When I try to open the boot.ini, then it says "the filename, volume name or syntax label is incorrect"

Everything seems a bit smoother and faster after doing this but i still get CTDs upon selecting a fleet, not every fleet but just a couple, the ones that dont CTD have had there laggyness upon selecting reduced by 30-40% ... but i think ill start a new campaign and try my luck there, but thanks for the info MadBoris.

Skyline Pete's Avatar Senator

Have run this file again to fix the mem leaks that occured after the latest patch fixed their .exe.
    Haven't had anymore mem leak crashes since.

Now to just figure out this sound bug.

This worked for a while and I cleaned up my pc with TuneUp free program,but crashes after battles now. All I can do is save and exit to windows every couple turns and restart. Sound problems sometimes in battles. 6GB ram and 64 bit OS should run this better on ultra.

Doesn't work for me anymore after the latest patch, crashes at the end of a battle now while it used to do so while loading the battle... They actually managed to make it worse, I guess their "extended testing" sure paid off.

I applied the "Insufficient memory" & "CTD" - workaround posted earlier this week and it worked a treat. This morning there was another steam update. So I thought I'd have to reapply the workareound because the exe file had been modified by the new patch. Stupidly I just copied the modded exe I had already creaded from a few days ago and didnt modify the new patched exe file. Now Empire crashes just before the intro......

I just conquered all of india in my British campeign - and have put in some serious nights gaming - will be gutted if I have to start over. Can anyone help please?

Madboris: will you clarify whether we need to do the workaround again after the new patch. I have vista 64 so I just need to worry about step two. I checked the steam folder and both the empire.exe and the original empire.exe which i renamed original are there. Did the patch overwrite the modded exe? If I do have to do it again, should I keep the "original" .exe or just replace that with the new exe. created by the patch. In otherwords, should I have three exe files 1) the modded post patch, 2) the original post patch and 3) the original pre patch, or do I just need the first 2.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by cspimp View Post
    Madboris: will you clarify whether we need to do the workaround again after the new patch. I have vista 64 so I just need to worry about step two. I checked the steam folder and both the empire.exe and the original empire.exe which i renamed original are there. Did the patch overwrite the modded exe? If I do have to do it again, should I keep the "original" .exe or just replace that with the new exe. created by the patch. In otherwords, should I have three exe files 1) the modded post patch, 2) the original post patch and 3) the original pre patch, or do I just need the first 2.
    I think we need to re-apply after the patch. I've been getting 'out of memory' problems on my GTX280s in SLI.....

Edited: OK, I just re-applied and now I'm getting 'the application has stopped working'. I did use the original exe as well.
    Last edited by Brusilov; March 26, 2009 at 02:09 PM.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    I think we need to re-apply after the patch. I've been getting 'out of memory' problems on my GTX280s in SLI.....

Edited: OK, I just re-applied and now I'm getting 'the application has stopped working'. I did use the original exe as well.
    What do you mean here. Which original and used it for what?

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by cspimp View Post
    What do you mean here. Which original and used it for what?
    Well, I've already used it once before - it worked OK then. Part of the process means you run a file that makes some changes to the exe (all legal I think). What you do before that is copy the exe somewhere else - so that is my 'original' file.

You need to read the instructions in the first post.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    Well, I've already used it once before - it worked OK then. Part of the process means you run a file that makes some changes to the exe (all legal I think). What you do before that is copy the exe somewhere else - so that is my 'original' file.

You need to read the instructions in the first post.
    I know what has to be done, I was just wondering whether you used the empire.exe that used to be the modded file and which presumably the patch changed, or whether you redid it using the original exe file that you used to mod it the first time -- in other words, the file you renamed.

I assume if the patch messed anything up that it would have altered the empire.exe file which is in reality the modded file. In that case, that would be the file to use to re-do the workaround. If that were, true, I assume the original exe file that was renamed pre-patch would be useless and therefore should be deleted. As such, if you used the prepatch original to re-do the workaround and it crashed, I advise that you start with the current Empire.exe and re apply. Of course this is all moot if we do not need to re-apply in the first place, which was the point of my first post.

Default Help!

I have the insignificant memory problem when trying to enter a big battle. for example when i attack a large city or fight a battle with many reinforcements.
    I have vista 32-bit 4 gb of ram and high quality video card and a AMD 2.20 quad core processor.

I have followed the directions to my knowledge but i cannot get the 3gb enabler for empire to work. I coped what i think the empire.exe is (the "E" icon in the empire total war folder) into the 3gb enabler folder. When i run the enabler is tells me to press any key to continue which i do. some text appears but i cannot read it as the enabler quits immediately.

What did i do wrong? please help this noob!

I have the following boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Can you please tell where and how to make the changes?
    For the explorer changes - I dl and extracted your folder: Do I copy the folder or which file?

I am sorry for these probably obvious question - but this is my first time.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Fridericus Rex; March 26, 2009 at 06:13 PM.