Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: "Insufficient memory" & "CTD" - workaround

Spaxspore's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: "Insufficient memory" & "CTD" - workaround

cancel/del on steam.. close steam.

use auto run on the disc, run setup go from there.

Ondaderthad's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Barkhorn1x View Post
    I have an issue - I cannot find the boot.ini

- I have hidden files unchecked.
    - I know it is there as I can read it in MSCONFIG
    - but I just cannot find it when I search for it
    - All I get is a boot.ini backup

Anybody know what's up?
    I had the same problem a minute ago.
    You also need to check the advanced search options to allow "search system files"

Barkhorn1x's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Spaxspore View Post
    whats your OS
    OS is XP
    "Après moi le déluge"

Quote Originally Posted by Ondaderthad View Post
    I had the same problem a minute ago.
    You also need to check the advanced search options to allow "search system files"
    ..but I did have that checked and only the back-up appears. Where exactly does the file usually reside on XP?
    "Après moi le déluge"

I still get regular crashes ;(

HD4870
    Q6700
    4gigs of ram
    vista X64

I have 22 regions

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

Probably worth noting you can't play online with this active unless someone else does too - just swap your .exe with the default one in order to play online; unless of course you can't play the game at all without it
    morecuriousthanbold.com

OK - the plot thickens.

I am running XP Professional both at home and at work and I cannot find this file on either machine. And yes, I set search to look in system folders and to look for hidden files or folders.

Is XP Professional weird or something?
    "Après moi le déluge"

Tassen's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Barkhorn1x View Post
    OK - the plot thickens.

I am running XP Professional both at home and at work and I cannot find this file on either machine. And yes, I set search to look in system folders and to look for hidden files or folders.

Is XP Professional weird or something?
    I am running a fully patched XP Professional myself...

1) Open Windows Explorer
    2) Tools Menu -> Folder Options -> View Tab
    3) Hidden files and folders -> Show hidden files and folders - CHECK!
    4) Hide extensions for known file types - UNCHECK!
    5) Hide protected operating system files - UNCHECK
    6) Click on the C: drive icon

Now it should be right there in the files pane, boot.ini - If you want to make changes to it, remember to uncheck its read only status in its properties.

5) Hide protected operating system files - UNCHECK
    That was the one!! Thanks - + rep to you.
    "Après moi le déluge"

I don't know what is wrong with mine I have now had to reinstall empire 3 times because everytime I would try to apply this fix it would corrupt both my original and new file and say that they are unavaiable. Now I thought I might be doing it wrong but i followed the instructions to a T and it still hasnt worked. I'm only here because my game crashed on the first turn for no real reason.

I got a question for all you people experiencing this problem:

Do you sometimes get CTD's with not the "Insufficient Video Memory" error message but just a "Empire: Total War has stopped working" error message? Because I get both, but the former one only occurs when loading battles (which is ok, since I can just reload the save) and the latter occurs mid-battle, sometimes when giving a perticular order but sometimes just randomly. This is of course much worse, since it can force you to replay hours...

Just tried the workaround, didn't work.

i noticed you had a Nvdia card before, did you uninstall the drivers and use driver sweeper/cleaner before installing the atis.

Quote Originally Posted by Xstar View Post
    I got a question for all you people experiencing this problem:

Do you sometimes get CTD's with not the "Insufficient Video Memory" error message but just a "Empire: Total War has stopped working" error message? Because I get both, but the former one only occurs when loading battles (which is ok, since I can just reload the save) and the latter occurs mid-battle, sometimes when giving a perticular order but sometimes just randomly. This is of course much worse, since it can force you to replay hours...

Just tried the workaround, didn't work.
    The latter of your errors can be the result of so many variables that to presume an exact fix would be ridiculous. A safe bet is to try a different video driver, update all your chipst and SATA drivers and stress test each and every one of your components (CPU, RAM, GPU) to make sure it isn't one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Reckoner View Post
    I don't know what is wrong with mine I have now had to reinstall empire 3 times because everytime I would try to apply this fix it would corrupt both my original and new file and say that they are unavaiable. Now I thought I might be doing it wrong but i followed the instructions to a T and it still hasnt worked. I'm only here because my game crashed on the first turn for no real reason.

Let me know the exact steps you take in applying the workaround, in the shape of:
    etc.

Let's start from there and get you up and running.

Please include ALL system information, including OS, dxdiag, driver versions etc.

He said he did that on his thread (the stress test bit)

this works for me, thanks, but i cant load up battles on campaign for some reason now, the progress flickers, and when i alt tab and back again, which usually fixes it for campaign loading, the whole screen flickers white, while in the background i can actually hear that the battle has loaded, its just the screen hasnt responded, its really annoying.

I dont understand how they could of messed up so much in just one bloody patch, it ran perfect for me, then a week later, its problem after problem.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

I finally applied this 'fix' to my ETW install (Vista 64bit Ultimate Edition) and I've not had a 'run out of video memory' yet after about 6 hours of playing the game and quite a number of battles).

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

As someone who has been reading posts on this forum since 'Rome' and from someone who never ever posts on forums, I would like to thank you for this band-aid to the insufficient memory error. I applied your workaround about 3 days ago and have been going error free ever since. Now all i get is the crazy random crashes which is now forgivable as I can play the game again. That m*********in error had prevented me from actually playing since well the day that damnedable thingcame out. So once again thank you sir.

On a side note I was gonna give you +rep (whatever the hell that is) but I have no idea how to do so, so you'll just have to make do with all the awesome karma you're getting
    Last edited by Harperbry; March 20, 2009 at 12:48 AM.

Thanks MadBoris. I did the same thing using Visual C++ to enable LAA and have not had any more CTD's. I'm running Vista x64 with 6GB RAM. Your thorough step-by-step is excellent.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Harperbry View Post
    On a side note I was gonna give you +rep (whatever the hell that is) but I have no idea how to do so, so you'll just have to make do with all the awesome karma you're getting
    You can't rep people until you've hit 50 (or 60) posts. I'll do it for both of us.
    +rep

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here