Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: "Insufficient memory" & "CTD" - workaround

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Default Re: "Insufficient memory" & "CTD" - workaround

I did a CFF explorer on this issue.
    Worked great and removed this issue completely from my game however came with one problem.
    Considering you are telling the game that it's allowed to use more then 2gb(and of course windows), CFF goes for the exe-files meaning you are infact patching the exe file making it impossible to play multiplayer since the you will have a different exe.
    And naturally you have apply the fix everytime CA patches the game which is atleast once/week.
    That's something you might look into since it's really easy and takes less then a second to do if you don't play mp that is.
    Last edited by God-Emperor of Mankind; March 18, 2009 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by No_Limit View Post
    Year 2009

No Multicore Support, no optimized (SLI) Driver Support from nvidia , no address more than 2GB
    Empire Total War.exe Header http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...76#post4610276

Company of Heroes (32bit App) original --> adress more than 2GB on the exe Header

For example :
    Empire Total War Demo 26.02.2009 --> no optimized nvidia Treiber (and SLI)
    HAWX Demo 02.03. 2009 --> optimized Driver from Nvidia with SLI Support 10.3.2009
    Empire Total Full Version 04.03.2009 --> no optimized nvidia Treiber (and SLI)

Who's to blame? Buyers, Nvidia, CA?

No Communikation CA <-----> nVidia ?

AFAIK, Empire and CA aren't part of TWIMTBP (the way it's meant to be played) program. This is probably the reason why no optimized driver has so far been released for the game.

I find it rather annoying as well, and it does surprise me given the acclaim the game has already received, but given the several hundreds of hours of gaming offered by Empire, I am prepared to wait patiently for patching on both ends

I tried your memory solution but still my saved game crashes when i click on certain naval harbor, so it doesn't work

I noticed that company of heroes OF uses almost 3GB of memory, so ETW needs to be patched..

Spaxspore's Avatar Campidoctor

yea i am having the harbor issue to , not by clicking on it but when my fleet always retreats to the same port.. when it does its instant CTD. Almost a game ender... had to kill the fleet. If i click on the port im fine, but if the fleet goes to it during the game turn phase, ctd.

But this fix/workaround has nothing to do with that.

Thats a game bug and must be fixed on their end.

Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by TB666 View Post
    I did a CFF explorer on this issue.
    Worked great and removed this issue completely from my game however came with one problem.
    Considering you are telling the game that it's allowed to use more then 2gb(and of course windows), CFF goes for the exe-files meaning you are infact patching the exe file making it impossible to play multiplayer since the you will have a different exe.
    And naturally you have apply the fix everytime CA patches the game which is atleast once/week.
    That's something you might look into since it's really easy and takes less then a second to do if you don't play mp that is.
    Aw, multiplayer is like 90% for me. I'll just have to live with it.

You were the guy that offered the fix for SupCom? Thanks for that fix, and for this one for Empire,

Firstly, and most importantly, thanks very much and +rep MadBoris for your work and suggestions. It hasn't helped fix the problems I'm having with the game but I have at least (as a Unix Sys Admin and an occasional if reluctant Windows one) learned quite a bit I didn't know about memory issues in Windows.

Symptoms:

I've never had any "Insufficient Video Memory" type errors. I have had regular and repeatable CTDs. The game begins to have longer and longer pauses (freezes) over a few turns (usually but not always when selecting a new unit or town/city) and then crashes with a white screen and then a standard Windows error box: "Empire.exe has encountered a problem and cannot continue" or something like that. 5 attempts at the Grand Campaign so far, ranging from turn 46 to turn 107 when this occurred. Once the CTD happens, I can usually replicate it after restarting at the same point, or a close one if I change what I do/select. Sometimes that point is selecting a new unit/town/city, sometimes it happens on the AIs turn after I hit end of turn, once when AI has finished and my new turn is about to start.

System:

Asus P5N32-E SLI Mobo
    Intel E6400 2-Core Duo
    2 x 1Gb Corsair Classic XMS2 - 6400
    Gigabyte 8800 GTS 320Gb
    Enermax 475W PS
    2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250 GB
    Windows XP Pro x32 SP3 (reinstalled 2 months ago)

Empire Graphics settings:

Went with autodetect ones, which seemed very low for my card, plus I reduced Particle effects from 'High' to 'Medium', which left all menued Low/Medium/High/Ultra selections at either Low or Medium.

All check-boxes unchecked

Shader Model 3
    No Anti-Aliasing

Result:

No change from current save games. I went about 6 turns back in two of my games, but CTDs happened around the same turn as before. I lack the enthusiasm to start yet another game from scratch.

I've also tried various drivers (178.24, 181.22 and 182.06) and used Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode when changing. Tried various values in the script file for the video memory size (0, 256000000, 320000000) but to no avail (I realize 256000000 isn't actually 2 to the power 31 - I'm willing to try that and the other correct byte number if that could be relevant, but I doubt it is).

Never mind, it was worth trying.

Same problems, its the game.

Im waiting for the patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaxspore View Post
    Same problems, its the game.

Im waiting for the patch.
    I suspect you're right, and I'm waiting too. I did forget to mention in my post above that I've also tried running ETW with lots of unneccessary processes stopped - all anti-spyware, anti-virus and Zonealarm turned off for example, since they use a bit of resources (and Steam set to offline mode and network unplugged of course, otherwise I'd be asking for trouble!).

One thing I'm not sure is relevant but which I found noteworthy - when I run Process Explorer and look at some things while games are running, I noticed something (and note, once I'd Alt-tabbed out of ETW, I didn't include any subsequent behaviour in my tests of the game, nor ever save a game after that, since that's a good way to affect the results).

ETW was usually up to about 900 Mb of Private Bytes and 1.1Gb of Virtual size soon before the CTDs. Total Physical memory history showed an increase to about 1.4Gb as the max for that session (fairly constant for some time before the CTDs). Whereas Sins of a Solar Empire Entrenchment had figures of around 1.1 Gb, 1.3 Gb and 1.8 Gb for those three values, and kept running fine (never had any crashes or problems I can recall with SoaSE or the Entrenchment expansion).

Of course, any corruption in earlier ETW save game files that I was using as a starting point for that session could perhaps cause crashes, so this may not mean anything, just though it worth mentioning.

Great work around MadBoris everything is running great, however when i get into sea battles all is good until i click 'end deployment' then the game starts to lag so much its not funny any ideas on whats causing it? i seem to be able to run everything maxed no problem so i thought maybe turn down the settings but the lags still the same

Barkhorn1x's Avatar Biarchus

I have an issue - I cannot find the boot.ini

- I have hidden files unchecked.
    - I know it is there as I can read it in MSCONFIG
    - but I just cannot find it when I search for it
    - All I get is a boot.ini backup

Anybody know what's up?
    "Après moi le déluge"

whats your OS

I have tried to install this and now when I try to play my game it says it is unavailable even trying to use my original. I have a 64 bit system and when i went to undo it in command prompt it told me that access is denied and I am the administrator. I'm not very technically gifted so sorry for sounding like such a noob.

are logged in on a admin account? (in windows)

yes i am

Hmm i reread(sorry misread), is the .exe in active memory. Get the task manger open, check in processes and look for empire.exe. If you see it running select it and hit end task.

It sounds like its in active memory, thats why you getting the access denied.

no that wasn't the case. I don't know why it isn't working im fairly certain i followed the directions exactly.

I think Ill just reinstall the game and try it again and see what happens.

Yea, that couldnt hurt. Give it a shot

so im trying to reinstall my game from disc but it keeps on trying to download it off steam. how do I fix this. thanks for your patience