Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: --- The Great Campaign Expanded--- Faction Inclusion Mod

Default Re: --- The Great Campaign Expanded--- Faction Inclusion Mod

Just like to mention, I've triggered a Rebellion which forms the United States, but it's odd, frankly.

1. They don't give you the option to side with the Americans. I don't know why, since supposedly you get to pick your sides.

2. They show up as a constitutional monarchy, not a republic.

3. The flag looks weird, switching between the circle of stars in the field of blue, and a white crown.

Not sure if anyone else has come across this when playing the Protectorate.

Landwalker's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Darodine View Post
    Just like to mention, I've triggered a Rebellion which forms the United States, but it's odd, frankly.

1. They don't give you the option to side with the Americans. I don't know why, since supposedly you get to pick your sides.

2. They show up as a constitutional monarchy, not a republic.

3. The flag looks weird, switching between the circle of stars in the field of blue, and a white crown.

Not sure if anyone else has come across this when playing the Protectorate.
    That's what happened to me when I was trying to form the USA. You get a rebellion in Pennsylvania instead of a revolution, and the rebels want to form a monarchy (hence the "Monarchial States of America" flag). Presumably, revolutions were never scripted for minor factions / protectorates like the Thirteen Colonies, so they only get rebellions. I haven't tried causing revolutions for non-protectorate minor factions like the Cherokee or anything like that, so I don't know if it's an issue for all minor factions or just protectorate factions.

I'm still working on trying to figure out exactly how to make this work out so that the Thirteen Colonies can become the USA.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Landwalker; March 19, 2009 at 01:08 PM.

I Hate Talking To Myself - Please Can Someone Help Because I Spent £35 On This Game And I Want To Make It Better!!!

-ModHunter

Settle down, MH.

You probably extracted it into the wrong location. Make sure that all of the stuff in the extracted "campaigns" folder goes into the existing "campaigns" folder and overwrites the relevant material (after backing everything up, of course). You basically want everything to look exactly how it looks normally, except that some of the files will be different sizes.

I'd double check that, and if there's still no luck, be patient and wait for the mod's creator to swing by.

Cheers.

It Just Wasn't Working For Some Reason, But It Is Now.

Not To Worry...

-Modhunter

Ketzerfreund's Avatar Domesticus

Tried out Courland, which, as you probably all know, begins as a protectorate of Poland-Lithuania, and noticed an odd thing; I don't know if it has to do with Courland not playable originally or if it's a bug that could as well happen when having been a protectorate as a playable faction for some time.
    Even after breaking the protectorate (I don't like that the only way to break it is to declare war, but that's another topic), I can't ask for an alliance. The option is just not there. Tried out Saxony, which also begins as a protectorate - same issue.
    Tried out Württemberg, to see if small factions are just not allowed to form alliances, but that's not the case. As Württemberg - not a protectorate - you do have that option.

As a protectorate you can't form your own alliances, anyway, but even after getting out of that status you don't get the option back. Tried saving/reloading, too. No dice.
    "Oh, to be truly happy! To be an imbecile." - Wobbly Headed Bob

DeadlyBlowfish's Avatar Tiro

lordenforcer: check the original post

Darodine: Yup, indeed strange, I think it's something to do with a specific coding setting for the Thirteen Colonies in startpos.esf

Modhunter: Good to see you worked it out

Ketzerfreund: Indeed strange.... so no alliances are possible at all post-protectorate status? That sounds like a game bug to me, perhaps something worth bringing up to the devs in their patch updates. I suppose though, factions were never meant to be played as protectorates

Landwalker: Thanks for the research, I get a similar thing as you, it's a shame France love the protectorates so much (I think it's a/an historic factor though, haha).

Updates:

Scripting workaround seeming to hold little hope, uploading the "dirty" version as we speak, it's better than most alternatives though.

I'm currently modding various minor factions for completion purposes (to be included in the next update) and I'd very much like some help on getting a decent faction roster suggestion for various factions, especially Morocco, Pirates and the Crimean Khante (any other factions with barely any ground forces/navy would also be helpful).

Regards,

DB
    IMPORTANT:
    If you wish to use, modify, build on or do just about anything to or with any of my mods, feel free to do whatever you want. All I ask is to have my name in the credits somewhere :-)

BanditKS's Avatar Ordinarius

Pirates
    Take the Russian grenade launcher guys. make em proper colors and such.

genadiers[SP?] but bump them up to 120 guys so they replace line infantry maybe? I know this is kinda OP sounding but pirates do tend to be a bit more buff than the regular type people.

light infantry like the other groups have

no Cav.

Cannons would be from ships for sure so all there cannons are fixed or only pulled by 2 horses?

They need their capital to allow for the Admiralty so they can work on research.

They need upgraded ships maybe the same ships they have now but just better stats? I like how their ships look can get rid of em!

they shouldn't be able to form square

Buccaneers sound be able to throw grenades

Crimean Khante
    Lots of choice with cav. Lancers and riflemen on horse back.

take the Axe-men from the Russians and let Crimean make a version of them.

Maybe for a different type of war-fair their infantry is made up of only light inf and skirmishers meant to harass and pick guys off not stand toe to toe. that will make players act more raider like than straight up army.

use the 1h axe guys from the Mughal empire.
    Last edited by BanditKS; March 19, 2009 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Update

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyBlowfish
    Indeed strange.... so no alliances are possible at all post-protectorate status? That sounds like a game bug to me, perhaps something worth bringing up to the devs in their patch updates. I suppose though, factions were never meant to be played as protectorates
    Who knows... Who will ever let things get so bad that (s)he might have to agree to becoming a protectorate?

Also, I've noticed that no money flows to your master when playing one of those small protectorates. So, it's kinda pointless, anyway.

I wouldn't give pirates anything very powerful/substantial, really. They're pirates, not over-romanticized super men. I honestly wouldn't give them any powerful ships, either -- brigs, sloops, probably nothing more than sixth-rates, and their hordes of fluyts and galleons (which make no sense anyway) are more than powerful enough anyway.

You could probably give Portugal a couple of Spanish units, none of which I can remember at the moment but which should be more or less appropriate anyway.

I tried to poke around a bit in the packed db stuff to see if I could get protectorates able to form alliances, but I didn't make any headway with it, unfortunately.

Cheers.

Yeah i understand from a historical point that the pirates didn't have super powerful anything. they were just crafty and preyed on already weak targets.
    However this makes for a poor choice for a nation to play eventually you will have to fight a rank and file army and in REAL terms pirates would never do this but in this game you will have to and i feel they might as well have something.
    Last edited by BanditKS; March 19, 2009 at 08:59 PM.

Anyway possible to make the TC have revolutions Deadly?

Quote Originally Posted by BanditKS View Post
    Yeah i understand from a historical point that the pirates didn't have super powerful anything. they were just crafty and preyed on already weak targets.
    However this makes for a poor choice for a nation to play eventually you will have to fight a rank and file army and in REAL terms pirates would never do this but in this -game- you will have to and i feel they might as well have something.
    If you're the one playing the pirates, sure, giving them uncharacteristically powerful unit options might be nice. But if you're playing anybody else in the world?

Why not just give them appropriate unit options and then play them as wily and crafty? Avoid large enemy armies or use trickery to draw larger armies away from settlements so that you can assault those cities while they're gone. Make huge sums of money from, well, piracy, while running away from more powerful royal navies and whatnot. Play the pirates like a pirate would play them!

Cheers.

Megalos: This is just a guess on my part, but I imagine that whatever is preventing them from ever forging alliances is also preventing them from having revolutions. If somebody has the time to try to force a revolution as a European protectorate like Courland, that might help confirm (or debunk) this assumption.

I've had a revolution as Italian states, but not played any protectorates except 13c.

Is there already a known way to alter the diplomatic status a faction has at campaign start? Any way to strip a faction from it's protectorate status?

Quote Originally Posted by Landwalker View Post
    If you're the one playing the pirates, sure, giving them uncharacteristically powerful unit options might be nice. But if you're playing anybody else in the world?

Why not just give them appropriate unit options and then play them as wily and crafty? Avoid large enemy armies or use trickery to draw larger armies away from settlements so that you can assault those cities while they're gone. Make huge sums of money from, well, piracy, while running away from more powerful royal navies and whatnot. Play the pirates like a pirate would play them!

Cheers.

Megalos: This is just a guess on my part, but I imagine that whatever is preventing them from ever forging alliances is also preventing them from having revolutions. If somebody has the time to try to force a revolution as a European protectorate like Courland, that might help confirm (or debunk) this assumption.
    I am not saying give them guards or any elite units. I also said no cav at all and only fixed cannons with a maybe of one foot cannon unit. i think that pretty much limits up the pirates pretty well. its well known pirates used bombs and shotgun type weapons to clear the decks before they boarded. so it would be

Ground:
    Buccaneer melee
    militia Pirates Weak ranged
    Grenadier Pirates Throw bombs and have muskets[thats the best inf they got]
    grenade launcher Pirates 60 guys with grenade launchers like the Russians
    fixed cannons
    12 pounder
    16 pounder
    Foot Cannon
    6 pounder

Also i do agree that they don't need first rate anything or ships of the line. the galleon and flyut are pretty nice enough for them. i was just suggesting taking one and beefing up the stats alone just to a sixth rate like you suggested.

Navy:
    Sloop
    Brig
    Race-Built Galleon
    sixth rate
    Fluyt
    Galleon

and thats it for what they can have military i think thats pretty limiting.

To solve the 13 Colonies becoming the United States problem, through revolution, I think we need to look at the triggers script for the revolutions and just how its made up and then see if it can be copied, I'd try this myself but I can't seem to find the script and I'm not that good at modding such complex files

One tip that may be useful in solving the 13 colonies part. When playing the GC as Prussia and I eliminated France, Quebec automatically became its own nation. Maybe if you look at the script for that and possibly copy it for the United States?

Bandit, having two grenade units, and those units having unlimited grenades, would make pirate "armies" outrageously dangerous due to the absolute havoc that grenades wreak upon the battlefield (especially if you have them at full unit size).

There's nothing in scripting.lua that deals with revolutions -- that's apparently somewhere else, but I don't know where to look.

There's also nothing that deals with "If faction X is eliminated..." I'm tempted to try to invade Britain as the 13 Colonies and eliminate them as a faction just to see what happens, but I suspect it would be "nothing". In the case of France/Quebec, Quebec actually belongs to France -- it isn't a quasi-independent colonial faction at the start of the game (and even if it was, by that point France probably would have assimilated it anyway). I suspect that destroying Great Britain would just leave me as the Thirteen Colonies.

Edit: I sent a message to one of the CA guys asking about changing the human faction, and he said that he'd pass it along to the appropriate people to take a look at and get back to me about it. Unfortunately, at first glance, he doesn't think it's possible for the scripting to accomodate "Change Human Player".

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Landwalker View Post
    Bandit, having two grenade units, and those units having unlimited grenades, would make pirate "armies" outrageously dangerous due to the absolute havoc that grenades wreak upon the battlefield (especially if you have them at full unit size).
    Allrighty, just trying to help.