Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Company Man's Guide to ETW Economy

Default Re: Company Man's Guide to ETW Economy

Quote Originally Posted by Thamis View Post
    @JimMorrison:
    Wait for the next patch. The economics have received a rebalancing there. The patch after that will improve it more..
    Quelled the massive late game economy bloom I hope?

While 140k excess per turn is nice, I'd like to at least have some representation that I'm fielding 12 full stacks and a navy as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MyKingforahorse View Post

While 140k excess per turn is nice, I'd like to at least have some representation that I'm fielding 12 full stacks and a navy as well.
    Precisely that has gotten better. I don't know when that patch will be put out via Steam though... some time soon-ish I guess.

Precisely that has gotten better. I don't know when that patch will be put out via Steam though... some time soon-ish I guess.
    "Distance to capital" and "corruption" anyone?

No, it's using only the systems that are already in place.

No, it's using only the systems that are already in place.
    I was making a sly joke at Steam's expense about old TW series modifiers...

Distance to capital and corruption have also been used in the CIV series... quite extensively. They're not a bad idea in themselves.

We've got a similar system in the game: Administration Cost. Ever noticed it when mousing over the tax income in the region details?

Distance to capital and corruption have also been used in the CIV series... quite extensively. They're not a bad idea in themselves.

We've got a similar system in the game: Administration Cost. Ever noticed it when mousing over the tax income in the region details?

Nice to here its being balanced. Can we expect documentation and details before hand I hope?

In this regard those of us like Coman here can update their guides appropriately.

Don't use your knowledge of modern-day economics and apply it to a precapitalist society.
    I believe the way economics are handled in game are much more modern than they should be.
    The 18th century in england and united provinces might be in a "precapitalist" state, but the rest is clearly mercantilistic. Liberalism (first name of Capitalism) has been labelled heretic by the pope, and there is no such thing as "free trade" in most european countries.
    Remember the bankrupcy of the VOC ?
    It's the same thing that is happening today : private run compagny, supported by the taxes, but private owned profits. The day it falls, the nation buys the debts.
    At that time, capitalism was not seen as a good idea ...
    When you look at the whole taxation system(and it's effects), it's clearly inspired by right wing economists, not at all based on any kind of historical truth.

Woah, woah, woah - what's this hint about a soon to be forthcoming patch I see here? A rebalancing patch? .......with AI fixes maybe??

Gimme more you tease!

I can't comment on what's coming in when. All I can say is that at some point there will be a patch with economics balancing. There will also be patches with AI improvements in the future, but again, I can't say when. And when I say "soon-ish" I don't mean next week, if you get my drift... it could be far longer than that. Fact is, I don't know when.

I can't comment on what's coming in when. All I can say is that at some point there will be a patch with economics balancing. There will also be patches with AI improvements in the future, but again, I can't say when. And when I say "soon-ish" I don't mean next week, if you get my drift... it could be far longer than that. Fact is, I don't know when.
    Thanks for the heads-up - now I can catch my breath again

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Fantastic guide, although I do have one correction. You can stack more than 6 trade ships per trade node.

I just tested it as the Dutch. 6 ships on a spice node = 106 spice, 8 ships on a spice node = 139 spice.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    Fantastic guide, although I do have one correction. You can stack more than 6 trade ships per trade node.

I just tested it as the Dutch. 6 ships on a spice node = 106 spice, 8 ships on a spice node = 139 spice.
    I noticed that last night after the patch. I think 6 was the limit previously as I remember being unable to add more. Perhaps it was an early issue with trade posts and ships pre-patch that I assumed was a functional limit.

Thanks for bringing that up. Will go back and edit.

Quote Originally Posted by coman View Post
    Please, next time, do not high-jack a developer in my thread and rant.

Not appreciated.
    I was not ranting. Someone responsible for economic issues in the game appeared in a thread about economics, and I brought up some economic game issues.

I was calm, and as polite as was really possible, with the kind of criticism that the strategic layer of E:TW needs. I am sure you were having a good time praising Thamis, but praise won't fix the issues with the game.

I'm not just some kid exercising his anonymity to be a prick on the internet - my interest is only in recapturing the awe and excitement that I once had for TW titles. I know that this website is trying to keep up the good vibes, as the primary community portal for CA, where we can occasionally even get devs posting - and that's great. But I assume everyone involved is well aware that most people who purchased Empire were disappointed, and most of those people seem to be being quite rude indeed. As is often the case, I felt compelled to act as the voice of reason, and to reiterate the concerns that many players are having.

I realize you think that maybe I should have made another thread, or whatever. I could have done so, but I highly doubt it would have been noticed, as it would irrationally be deemed another rant without the content even being read and digested.

< shrug > Blah blah. Sorry for unintentionally deflating your excitement at having a conversation with a CA dev. He didn't seem very bothered, and probably just skimmed my post anyways..... I waste a lot of time typing to people who don't care how much sense you make - this wouldn't be the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by JimMorrison View Post
    I waste a lot of time typing to people who don't care how much sense you make - this wouldn't be the first time.
    And that, my brother, is why you have a place at my table. Just if you don't mind the tall stools and paper cone shaped hats. No worries.

Quote Originally Posted by coman View Post
    Jim,

Before we digress too far off the economics topic (and we're allowed to after contributing helpful stuff!) the one thing we can take for granted, if tCA doesn't fix this, you know for a fact eventually a player mod or group will.

I will be looking into it personally on the strategy and economic side, as well as naval models.
    An advanced economic mod could do wonders for E:TW.

I look foward to the day such a mod is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by MyKingforahorse View Post

That is quite realistic - toward the end of the era, nations were fielding MASSIVE armies compared to what they were fielding at the opening of the era.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee1026 View Post
    That is quite realistic - toward the end of the era, nations were fielding MASSIVE armies compared to what they were fielding at the opening of the era.
    Well I think his point was just that once you field that massive army, your cashflow should be more than slightly dented by it. I tend to assume that a full stack of troops will cost just under 5k in upkeep. So with 140k profit, you could theoretically push out another 28 stacks. In such a case, I think there should be triggers for a "world war", where everyone but your most trusting allies drop everything to come try to dismantle your empire.

So that would be a combined 40 stacks? Still quite realistic - the French army had almost 3 million men in arms in the Napoleonic wars. By comparison, the French had about 0.2 million men in arms at the beginning of the period. At the opening, you have maybe 2 stacks, and at the end 40 stacks? that is roughly in line with reality. (Particularly as he most likely expanded more then the kingdom of france did in real life)

Thank you for the extensive guide, coman. It's easy to see that you have put much time and effort into your research. I didn't realize until reading your post the depth and immersiveness of the ETW economy - it really adds a whole new layer to an already engaging game.

My question: Is it possible to see how many trade lanes individual trade ports are utilizing? I want some more detail on my ports to see whether an upgrade is necessary or if the current limist has not yet been reached. Is this possible?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast