Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Company Man's Guide to ETW Economy

Default Re: Company Man's Guide to ETW Economy

Just as a note, the game's auto-construction does a fairly decent job at managing the economy (At least gigantic ones.)

As ottomans I pretty much managed to take over most of Europe by 1770, so I kept clicking the turn button to reach 1799. Before I encountered some major CTDage, I was making around 1 million gp/turn and growing by 1780.

Thank you all for the kind words and support.

I hope this continues to help. It's a fantastic system that needs more attention from the masses.

With trade, Russia can make 30k+ within first 30 turns, no reason to skim on it. Just grab 2-3 trade nodes and land on pirate islands which can be turned into sugar plantations and strike a trade deals with everyone you can. After taking Sweden over and developing Crimea and Georgia you will have enough trade ports to do quite sizable trading. And god knows you need that income to develop that huge territory quickly.

Coman, great guide. You should really add pirate bit to it. Taking over their islands gives you place to build trade ships from, 2 sugar plantations and makes it easier to maintain control over trading lanes for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by mbchudno View Post
    Coman, great guide.
    Thanks, but the guide isn't about specific strategy, just procedural with a bit of flair. I wanted to keep it on topic about the 7 components of wealth, not about where to capture and what to take. That's a different topic.

I also hit the pirates. If I wanted to power game, I'd also hit Morroco, Sweden and any other massively rich conveniently located nation.

Great great information. Looks like the economy is quite a bit deeper then in previous games. Here is hoping future mods can really take advantage of this.

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950)

Quote Originally Posted by coman View Post
    Thanks, but the guide isn't about specific strategy, just procedural with a bit of flair. I wanted to keep it on topic about the 7 components of wealth, not about where to capture and what to take. That's a different topic.

I also hit the pirates. If I wanted to power game, I'd also hit Morroco, Sweden and any other massively rich conveniently located nation.

Of cause, you right. Hmm, i did not know that Morroco is rich I only know they are annoying as hell blocking the Gibraltar constantly with their galleys. I guess they will be next on my list of conquests.

\does "come to papa" thing with his fingers...

PS. Sweden is pretty dangerous place to conquer unless you want to have direct border with Russia or you play as Russia since they quite interested in Swedes

This was a very helpful guide to help fill in most of my "missing puzzle pieces" from economy and trade.

I do have questions that remain:

1. How is town wealth different from region wealth, in practical terms?
    2. If New York is low on food can increased food production in Carolina help?
    3. How can I tell if my trade partner will buy more furs or his market is saturated?
    4. My home region is Philadelphia but it has no port, New England however has several trade routes to foreign partners from its port. Based on your guide this is impossible?

I'm glad this helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederf View Post
    1. How is town wealth different from region wealth, in practical terms?
    Town's don't actually have their own wealth; the buildings or resource contribute wealth to the region. There is an indicator over the town that describes how it's doing. This is based on taxation, modifiers to the work being performed there. Such as multipliers or bonuses, or extra income due to roads, etc. Food will show harvest, town quality will be shown. It all adds into region wealth and thus effects your total taxable revenue.

I've been pondering this as well. It isn't represented in any way that I can decipher, which is a pity, but understandable. Food is just in this period becoming a local commodity, not yet a national or international commodity outside fishing - which is represented.

3. How can I tell if my trade partner will buy more furs or his market is saturated?
    You will see a lack of growth turn over turn. No other indicator. You can also count the DEMAND and compare to the SUPPLY. A big trade partner will take a bulk of a product. In the end, the cash amount will help you understand this. But if you have to choose between two products, mouse over and tooltip read the export type in the Trade window. Will tell you.

4. My home region is Philadelphia but it has no port, New England however has several trade routes to foreign partners from its port. Based on your guide this is impossible?
    Roadways! Remember? Look at the Trade section again in the guide. A road attached directly to a nearby region with a trade harbor can ship the goods. The last distance is carried by a connected road or sea bridge.

Hope that helps,

coman

+ rep thanks for the guide!

I guess I can't give rep, but if I could I would. This was GREAT! Thanks

Coman, a nice read. It helped to clarify my understanding on several points. For example, I had no idea I could place up to 6 ships on a trade resource (there seems to be a bug that when you add a ship, the extra resources aren't immediately reflected in your trade sheet. I have to reload the game or end turn to see the additional gains). +rep for this!

One thing that I think you missed was the benefit that research adds to your economy. Industrial and even enlightenment research results in plenty of boosts to your economy, not only making your resources more profitable, but opening better build opportunities. So in that sense, I don't see building schools as a detractor to economy, but a boon.

EDIT:

Just to add to my earlier comments a bit -- it's great to have the better understanding of several of these game mechanics that this write up provided (you're not an accountant by profession perchance are you), but I don't think I will ever quite go to the extremes suggested here in my own game.

With the AI's numerous... challenges... in managing it's own economy, doing things like monopolizing trade theatres and building basically only wealth increasing buildings sounds like a recipe for an overly easy (read: boring) campaign. I make sure that I have church schools, bawdyhouses, etc in every theatre, as I think that my (imaginary) populace needs these things in their lives, and it provides for more roleplaying (i.e. enjoyment) opportunities for me.

Not so much a criticism of your writing as merely a different perspective.
    Last edited by marceror; March 19, 2009 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marceror View Post
    Not so much a criticism of your writing as merely a different perspective.
    I will repeat. This is often perceived as a strategy guide. It is not.

I have been play testing extensively in preparation for modding extensively.

The single biggest game breaker at this point is economic growth, regional taxation and research. The battles are great, but god, if you don't play slow, tech-tree up at a relatively even level, you're too powerful.

Technologies have a strong capability to imbalance play. I thought I mentioned technologies adequately, but I wasn't explaining or offering a strategy on how to play an economic game, only trying to describe the system and it's functions.

I am not an accountant, I'm terrible with numbers.

I will repeat. This is often perceived as a strategy guide. It is not.
    I saw that you mentioned that in an earlier post, and that's fine. Strategy guide or not, though, you mention "what you do in the game" in a few places. I'm merely pointing out where I differ. Not to argue. Just to dialogue. I hope you don't mind too much about that....

Technologies have a strong capability to imbalance play. I thought I mentioned technologies adequately, but I wasn't explaining or offering a strategy on how to play an economic game, only trying to describe the system and it's functions.
    Might sound funny, but I completely glossed over the word "technology" in your write up as referring to "research." Now that I've rescanned, I see that you have plenty of references to technology/research, so you can disregard that comment. Semantics strike again!

I am not an accountant, I'm terrible with numbers.
    I misjudged then. The tone of your write up almost seemed to suggest this background, but I guess there's a first time for everyone to be wrong, right?

Originally Posted by Frederf
    I've been pondering this as well. It isn't represented in any way that I can decipher, which is a pity, but understandable. Food is just in this period becoming a local commodity, not yet a national or international commodity outside fishing - which is represented.
    I certainly don't know for certain, but I have a little circumstantial evidence to suggest that you can increase food production in settlement x to aid settlement y. In this case, my settlements in Jamaica and the Caribbean (as GB) initially started out with regular food shortages. These settlements don't have farms to assist with that problem. But as I built up my farms in other settlements, I noticed that the food shortages in Jamaica and the Caribbean went away. Perhaps coincidence, but my sense is that there is a direct correlation. Probably (and this is just pure speculation) this sort of aid would be limited to within a particular theatre, but who knows.

I believe I understand how the system works, but I'm at a loss as to how people make 35,000+ a turn by means of trade. My situation: I'm playing my first campaign as Dutch Republic H/H, currently it's 1723 AD. I have conquered most of the small German states and Berlin, as well as the Pirate islands. I'm holding 12 trade nodes with 3 merchantmen each. My plantations are fully upgraded. I'm trading with Sweden, England, the Ottomans, France, Spain, the Persians and Marathras. Nevertheless, my total trade income totals hardly 12,000 gold... Do I need more exports? is something wrong with my trade partners? did my european wars hurt me that badly?

Quote Originally Posted by DocQuixotic View Post
    I believe I understand how the system works, but I'm at a loss as to how people make 35,000+ a turn by means of trade. My situation: I'm playing my first campaign as Dutch Republic H/H, currently it's 1723 AD. I have conquered most of the small German states and Berlin, as well as the Pirate islands. I'm holding 12 trade nodes with 3 merchantmen each. My plantations are fully upgraded. I'm trading with Sweden, England, the Ottomans, France, Spain, the Persians and Marathras. Nevertheless, my total trade income totals hardly 12,000 gold... Do I need more exports? is something wrong with my trade partners? did my european wars hurt me that badly?
    I'd say add more trade ships to your nodes...I try and run with about 6 per node. Without knowing more about your particular game its hard to say what else might help you. With that many nodes and trading partners perhaps you need to diversify the types of goods available ? Seems strange you aren't making more...What about your trade minister ?

I'd suggest you seek out additional trade partners. Based on this guide, I begrudgingly paid Austria nearly 4k and gave them some technology in order to obtain a trade agreement. It seemed like a lot to spend for a mutually beneficial arrangement, but you know what, that alone added around 2k trade income immediately for me. So get as many trade partners as you can and start putting those extra resources to good use.

I'm not quite as far along as you, but I'm hovering around 12k trade income currently also. My guess is you don't get to the 35k range until a bit later in the game, when those trade relationships are really established and flourishing.

there's a first time for everyone to be wrong, right?
    No. You're wrong. I'm so often not right, there's a stool in the corner with my name on it in in every classroom, board room and VFW lodge in the country.

Perhaps coincidence, but my sense is that there is a direct correlation. Probably (and this is just pure speculation) this sort of aid would be limited to within a particular theatre, but who knows.
    Watch it over time, I'm doing the same thing. When one breadbasket region starves in winter, everyone else is starving. I am not, however, seeing a correlation in the same way you are. I would suspect if this were modeled there would a tool tip.

I however, will keep my eyes out, because it does seem logical.

1. Send MOAR trade ships
    2. Keep your trade lanes open, keep your TRADE PARTNERs ports unblockaded. Sometimes it's important to go to war with someone just to sink their ships blockading your valuable trade destination. It's also historically accurate.
    3. Post a screenshot of your Supply/Trade browser and I can give you specific information.

I posted mine so you can see.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast