Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guide: How to create a balanced army

Default Guide: How to create a balanced army

Found a good guide about how to create a balanced, effective and not-lame army in Empire: Total War from a very experienced player.

View the guide

Hope you guys enjoy!

Default Re: Guide: How to create a balanced army

Checked it out and got dissapointed immediatly after page loaded and I saw picture with army composition. IMO ppl need to learn to use cannons properly on a battlefield, rather than sticking them behind their lines which in turn gives such popularity to howitzers and mortars.
    So on 10 based scale I rank that guide as 1 (would give it 2 for pictures inside but his summary just made me sad for the author)

P.S: no flame intended
    TWC forum reader since 2005
    Author of Royal Artillery School,guide for artillery in ETW.
    RAS Chapter 1 released.
    RAS Chapter 2 released.
    RAS Chapter 3 cancelled
    "Choose your stoker!"

i did like the skirmishing light infantry infront of the main line

Was a little disappointing but thanks for the post.

Aeneas Veneratio's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I would prefer to use some troops to outflank them than a bunch of light infantry blocking the line infantry's aim.

I try using the riflemens spread out formation but they don't seem to fire as quickly as when standing in rank and file. I can't see what use it is against an opposing rank and file line, but I can see benefits against area of effect artillery. on the other hand, most artillery is really inaccurate, so spreading your men out gives a higher likelyhood someone will be hit by a stray shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Weasel View Post
    Checked it out and got dissapointed immediatly after page loaded and I saw picture with army composition. IMO ppl need to learn to use cannons properly on a battlefield, rather than sticking them behind their lines which in turn gives such popularity to howitzers and mortars.
    So on 10 based scale I rank that guide as 1 (would give it 2 for pictures inside but his summary just made me sad for the author)

I agree. I don't think generals placed troops in front of cannon. This is why cannon is alwasy getting charged.

Mortars and howitzers are 'safe' options in that you can put them behind troops, but they are woefully inaccurate IMHO.

I prefer to have either flanking or central cannons, pref. on high ground, guard with cav or ideally dragoons (go on flank charge if unopposed, dismount until you can reinforce if the enemy goes for the cannon). You need canister shot for this to work properly.

I haven't had access to light infantry that can kneel in front of line infantry, but again I would prefer to use them as a flanking force. The problem with light skirmishers in front of your line is that when they retreat they mess up your line and get shot in the face. This only works with suicide units (e.g. pilgrims in M2TW) that you throw into hand to hand ASAP to disrupt the enemy line.

And always, always keep a reserve. Dragoons if you can stand the micro management, but even line infantry is better than nothing. I usually keep my general with my reserve, that way he has a central position and you only commit when absolutely necessary - your generals' units are no longer the killing demons in M2TW

Quote Originally Posted by tmsmith View Post
    Was a little disappointing but thanks for the post.

Thanks for the comments. Could you please elaborate a bit further why you were disappointed? I think this is an interesting topic. To be honest, I am often not too sure which units to choose. Which do you prefer?

Never ever use Light Infantry at all. Even the Weakest Line Infantry can beat the best Light Infantry. It is only when Light Infantry is micromanaged that it can beat a Line Infantry Unit.

Secondly, there IS no place to put your light infantry after you've engaged the enemy. You keep them in front and your Line Infantry doesn't have the range to fire into the enemy. You place them on the flanks, they get tore up by cavalry, in which case Line Infantry + Cavalry would have done better jobs. You place them behind your Front Line Infantry, they start killing your own Line Infantry. The high scores they get for kills, yeah thats friendly fire. Light Infantry are worthless. The only exception to this is if you place them on a hill with a steep sloop high enough so they can fire over your Line Infantry into the enemies Line Infantry. It is just too rare to find such a hill in this game.

eatme's Avatar Senator

Light infantry has its uses just have learn them ! Outflanking with them works great ! They fire good run good - best for skirmish too.

Quote Originally Posted by -Sebr View Post
    Thanks for the comments. Could you please elaborate a bit further why you were disappointed? I think this is an interesting topic. To be honest, I am often not too sure which units to choose. Which do you prefer?
    In short:
    1. no cannons, he only using mortars (over which i would choose howitzers), and then only two of them
    2. too much light inf, I would switch half of them for horse artillery/foot artillery any time of day.
    3. 19 units out of 20, id rather switch those guard infrantry to standart line one and get extra 160 men with 20th unit. ( thou it can be a matter of taste)
    4. lack of grenadiers.
    RAS Chapter 1 released.
    RAS Chapter 2 released.
    RAS Chapter 3 cancelled
    "Choose your stoker!"

Just finished up a campaign with Britain, ended up using the following layout for my armies:

8 Line Infantry
    4 Grenadiers
    2 24lb Howitzers on exploding shell
    2 24lb Cannons on shrapnel shot
    2 Heavy Cavalry
    1 Dragoon
    General's bodyguard

I would set up a line of battle with 3 or 4 regiments of line Infantry, a few around the artillery and in reserves. Grenadiers would be shock troops and plug leaks in the line. My cavalry would flank any pushes against my flanks, and my general would stand amid the chaos all stoic-like.

Currently writing my own artillery guide. So far it seems to me that majority of ppl dont realised the whole new concept of artillery and firepower in ETW and sometime it even feels like they still play in medieval terms Was ready to release first chapter (out of three planned) tonight but unfortunately for some reasons Im unable to attach it to my topic, every time after 15 secs of loading it gives me a network connection problem IE error message PMed mods but no reply for 4 hours so far...
    RAS Chapter 1 released.
    RAS Chapter 2 released.
    RAS Chapter 3 cancelled
    "Choose your stoker!"

nOObKiLLa's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysseslotro View Post
    Never ever use Light Infantry at all. Even the Weakest Line Infantry can beat the best Light Infantry. It is only when Light Infantry is micromanaged that it can beat a Line Infantry Unit.
    That is not true. You are so wrong my friend. Light has many advantages over Line. With Light, they are equppied with rifles, and as such have greater accuracy and range.
    Light infantry back in the 18th Century were considered an elite force ie. Green-Jacketed 95th Regt of the Foot.
    Light Infantry were historically and always should be used at the front of your army deployed in a skirmish line. They should be sent forward with cavalry support to constantly harass the enemy lines. When the Enemy line starts to waver, thats when the Line infantry comes into their own and rips into the wavering lines. Light Infantry can ambush really well, so place them in trees on the enemy flanks or on your own flanks.

When defending, light Infantry should alway be deployed into a skirmish line and sent forward to pick at the enemies own skirmish line, so that they dont use the tactic, as described above, against you. When the enemy line Infantry comes closer, you can either keep them close in front of your own Line Infantry and let them take the brunt of the fire, protecting your volley fire ability, but because they are in skirmish mode, the enemy volley fire won't be so effective against them. Or you could use them to either a) charge their lines, bayonets attached, or b) plug gaps in your own line.

They are also very good support troops when your charging with cavalry or your line Infantry go toe to toe. you can either mix them in with the melee, or bring them round to the flanks and pepper them with accurate rifle fire.

There's my 2 cents on that.

Quote Originally Posted by nOObKiLLa View Post
    That is not true. You are so wrong my friend. Light has many advantages over Line. With Light, they are equppied with rifles, and as such have greater accuracy and range.
    Light infantry back in the 18th Century were considered an elite force ie. Green-Jacketed 95th Regt of the Foot.
    Light Infantry were historically and always should be used at the front of your army deployed in a skirmish line. They should be sent forward with cavalry support to constantly harass the enemy lines. When the Enemy line starts to waver, thats when the Line infantry comes into their own and rips into the wavering lines. Light Infantry can ambush really well, so place them in trees on the enemy flanks or on your own flanks.

When defending, light Infantry should alway be deployed into a skirmish line and sent forward to pick at the enemies own skirmish line, so that they dont use the tactic, as described above, against you. When the enemy line Infantry comes closer, you can either keep them close in front of your own Line Infantry and let them take the brunt of the fire, protecting your volley fire ability, but because they are in skirmish mode, the enemy volley fire won't be so effective against them. Or you could use them to either a) charge their lines, bayonets attached, or b) plug gaps in your own line.

They are also very good support troops when your charging with cavalry or your line Infantry go toe to toe. you can either mix them in with the melee, or bring them round to the flanks and pepper them with accurate rifle fire.

Excellent exposition... I agree fully. It's interesting how much help historical tactics can be in this game, but then you get the mortars and such...

Quote Originally Posted by JSBACH View Post
    Excellent exposition... I agree fully. It's interesting how much help historical tactics can be in this game, but then you get the mortars and such...
    Nothing wrong with mortars, played an MP land battle a few hour ago where opponent tried to somewhat spam me with mortars (had 6 or 7 of them) and lots of cavalry. After I took out his entire (!) line inf regimet with a good canister shot salvo from my unit of horse artillery (by that time mortars were already routed and running home) he left the battle

Just learn to counter them and improvise, they are immobile, they cant hit a moving unit, they cant provide close fire support in a heat of battle... all in all they have a LOT of drawbacks and weaknesses, so there is nothing so overpowered about them.
    RAS Chapter 1 released.
    RAS Chapter 2 released.
    RAS Chapter 3 cancelled
    "Choose your stoker!"

Thanks for the detailed comments, that helps a lot! Perhaps it also depends upon your playing style, no? Some might prefer more cavalry units whereas others prefer other units.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Weasel View Post
    Nothing wrong with mortars, played an MP land battle a few hour ago where opponent tried to somewhat spam me with mortars (had 6 or 7 of them) and lots of cavalry. After I took out his entire (!) line inf regimet with a good canister shot salvo from my unit of horse artillery (by that time mortars were already routed and running home) he left the battle

Just learn to counter them and improvise, they are immobile, they cant hit a moving unit, they cant provide close fire support in a heat of battle... all in all they have a LOT of drawbacks and weaknesses, so there is nothing so overpowered about them.
    Yes, I understand that, I just meant that the kind of mortar stuff you see online is hardly "historical." More like hysterical. Still, that fellow could have done much better, what I find most annoying is how mortars are accurate enough to really take out your cannon if they're paying any attention to targeting.

Quote Originally Posted by nOObKiLLa View Post

LoL only the extremely late light infantry have ranges that are over 80 which is barely longer than the 70 Line Infantry has. With only a few exceptions to different nations.

If I take a Line Infantry that I have had from turn 1 he'll be chevron 2-3 by the time he meets a Green Jacket. That green Jacket will do 10 damage to my Line Infantry. I'll then proceed to own him untill he retreats without him causing any more damage. Now that is a custom battle I just recreated for you. It is clearly easy for Line Infantry to own Light Infantry with ease. Even the strongest most late period Light Infantry does not stand a chance against the oldest outdated Line Infantry and that is a fact.

They don't run faster than Line, when they retreat and my Line Infantry run after them, it is the same speed. And Light Infantry have the worst and weakest melee abilities. So that proves your points about outflanking or using them in melee, is worse than if you just had more Line Infantry. Line Infantry can also hide in woods, so even in an Ambush they are greater than Light Infantry. You should have 4 Black Watch for charging and outflanking your opponent, 6 Coldstream for front line, and 4 Guards as reserves to go where needed. The rest of the space should be for horse and cannons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast