Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Forcing a higher LOD (level of detail, i.e. no more sprites!)

mp84's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Forcing a higher LOD (level of detail, i.e. no more sprites!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ibnarabi View Post
    In Vista it will be over here (you will need to make hidden folders viewable to see it, AppData is a hidden folder);
    C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts

goto - Tools - Folder Options - the View tab - then select under the View tab 'Show hidden files and folders'
    Awesome there you have it. I also followed the instructions from the CA Developer post and everything seems to be working on my end in terms of the new skins, and other mini-mods I have installed.

MP

so i wrote the new script under the default scripts and i still have 2d blobs close to camera

Quote Originally Posted by vrgadin View Post
    so i wrote the new script under the default scripts and i still have 2d blobs close to camera
    Yea I don't care if lowest LOD has units consist of one polygon... it's still 3D and will look a million times better. Stupid sprites are annoying as hell.
    ETW ship combat with pirate rap:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SyN0QdEZyA

I made that .txt file and I think I see a minor difference now, BUT I'm experiencing new problems now: If I zoom out my cannons (organ guns) disappear... Maybe their 2D sprites are gone and they have nothing to show now?

This Problem is one of my majorproblems with ETW so i would make me happy if i can change this

But the Mod unfortunately didnt work on my System.

First i tried only copy the unpacked File in Data -> no change
    Then i tried with the user.empire_script.txt to load the mod -> no change

All Settings on Ultra (except Particleeffect= high), tried also change the unitsize to medium -> no change

Gamelanguage is German (vista 64, ati 4870, cat. 9.3)

Any ideas?

for me at least it pushed the sprites 50 m back thank you

Any1 had this working since last patch? i seem to get Units dissapear at middle distance now.

I think this is something CA will have to implement or fix. Maybe we can start a petition?

It shouldn't be too hard for them to do. In M2TW you can enable full detail on all units at all ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by EgyptianNecrophiliac View Post
    I think this is something CA will have to implement or fix. Maybe we can start a petition?

It shouldn't be too hard for them to do. In M2TW you can enable full detail on all units at all ranges.
    You have my voice for that

Baleur's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by EgyptianNecrophiliac View Post

They cant even let the AI transport troops over water, what makes you think they'll fix this?
    Sigh, sorry for the negativity Just fed up with CA at the moment.
    Why couldnt they just upgrade the M2TW engine? It was perfect.

I added this plus Imperial splendour and smoke blood sound mod. With everything ,including units ,on ultra it definitely makes a difference and looks amazing. I found elephants the worst sprites at distance before but I'm playing Austria atm so I'll just check on my Maratha campaign now.

Baleur's Avatar Biarchus

Still doesnt work :/

has this been forgotten? I will rep anyone, that can make me a mod removing those damn sprites!

A sprite is 1 Quad/ 2 triangles. So technically it is 3d the quad is rendered always perpendicular to the camera.

That might be true, but it looks bad anyway. For all I care, they can disappeare and never come back

D|major's Avatar the key of glory

Hey LtChambers, I'd like to know whether there has been any success in removing the 2d sprites yet (LOD 3/4). It would be awesome, as I can see little improvement in this first version.
    formerly known as D|need
    m2tw cinematic editor tutorials as video and thread | my total war videos
    the picture of the week subforum with great artworks | my pics and vids gallery
    under the patronage of b. ward

I too am interested- I tried to force the LOD1 as all but it doesn't remove the sprites at all (it looks awful in first person mode).
    I'm also interested in extending the Tree and Grass LODs because they are just too short- you can see the seams really badly.

I agree. We need a slider control or something to allow so many meters of vision before the spites kick in. If you are struggling to maintain FPS then you can choose to reduce the distance that the sprites appear (though the current batch of sprites looks god awful).

Perhaps the right thing to do is actually to correct the horrible sprites? In NTW2 (an RTW full conversion) I don't remember the sprites looking anywhere near as bad as the ETW ones. You could of course see the transition seams, but the sprites were shaped and coloured to be such a close match to the models that it didn't distract your eye.

Moopere

ETW Sprites look worse than the sprites in Rome and M2. Maybe this is because the quality of the 3d models is so much better than the sprites in Empire we notice the difference more. Anyway, I agree we should be able to have a slider to control this. If my computer can run it, I want the option.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonatanl2 View Post
    Could anyone please post before & after pics?

I dont think you can see the changes in a picture.... if im correct you can actually notice the difference when you zoom in and out of a unit battalion..

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast