Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Forcing a higher LOD (level of detail, i.e. no more sprites!)

Default Re: Forcing a higher LOD (level of detail, i.e. no more sprites!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Cyberpunk View Post
    I'm pretty sure its relying on the Lod2 Sprites 50% of the time and the LOD1 models which are the ones we want the rest of the time.. The other sprites (ie. the ones that aren't lighted at all by the engine) have been removed using this mod so it DOES work- but doesn't remove the sprites entirely- I'm really considering doing it manually to force it to the highest LOD possible.
    Can you upload it if you manage to do it? I really want to get rid of all the sprites. This is stupid we are forced to see them on high end PCs.
    ETW ship combat with pirate rap:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SyN0QdEZyA

I'm going to try this myself. Those 2d units look just like the ones in Medieval 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Kenobi View Post
    I'm going to try this myself. Those 2d units look just like the ones in Medieval 1.
    And like like the Shogun TW units. :

Nice mod that fixes to most annoying graphical bug/thingy I´ve seen lately.
    Last edited by wiltzei; March 17, 2009 at 12:01 PM.

I maybe stupid, but I'm not exactly sure what this does.

Yeah if someone gets rid of the sprites totally do inform us, this mod here didn't change anything for me, atleast I didn't notice any difference... Would very much like to play ETW without it looking like STW at moments

same here no difference even on ultra, theres probably a problem with the game rendering 2d too early. all i know is that its so noticable to me even at about 100 yards from camera they blob out like bitc$$$

I discovered the warscape_animated_lod db table contains some variables that should control when various LOD levels are used. Perhaps that is a better approach. I may fiddle with it to see.

Quote Originally Posted by LtChambers View Post
    I discovered the warscape_animated_lod db table contains some variables that should control when various LOD levels are used. Perhaps that is a better approach. I may fiddle with it to see.
    Nice! Keep us posted if you can.
    ETW ship combat with pirate rap:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SyN0QdEZyA

Agreed. This mod helps a little bit but one I pull back to see the whole battle I see sprites. You'd think on ultra the game would realize the computer could handle it. Even M2TW did'nt have sprites.

of course medieval 2 had sprites.... all the total war games have had sprites.... they were better done in MDTW2 but aykis16 is wrong all total war games have sprites.... and another thing this mod is to fix the LOD 3 sprites.... this mod is NOT meant to remove the sprites completely.... beleive it or not rendering thousands of fully 3d units no matter the distance you viewed them from would be incredibly processor heavy and most people who can run the game would no longer have playable frame rates so to say that a comp that can handle it now on ultra setttings would be able to handle it if you had no sprites as aykis16 is suggesting is totally absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by apieceoftofu View Post
    of course medieval 2 had sprites....
    Aye, it did, but it was possible to turn them off in the ini by setting unit detail to highest. Mega fps killer though.

look whether mtw2 or rome had sprites or not is not the issue, in those games if they are there, they render so far away i had never noticed, in this pos game they turn into blobs 59 yards from the camera! are you kidding me CA, fix this please why would you release a game knowing full well the curse of these EVIL blobs!

Got a stupid question...maybe :p
    How does one create a "Patch" file like the one you "LtChambers" did for the LOD mod?.

I am asking because I don't want to release let's say the whole "Main.Pack" in case I modded something small. What I don't get is how you actually save only the files you need for the MOD and then how you save that as a "no-lod4-patch" (so that it just patches in the necessary files you modded in to the Main.Pack for e.g.).

Maybe it has been covered here somewhere, but I searched for a tut/explanation but could not find any. If there is one maybe someone would be so kind to point me to it please.

Cheers!

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCox View Post
    Got a stupid question...maybe :p
    How does one create a "Patch" file like the one you "LtChambers" did for the LOD mod?.

I am asking because I don't want to release let's say the whole "Main.Pack" in case I modded something small. What I don't get is how you actually save only the files you need for the MOD and then how you save that as a "no-lod4-patch" (so that it just patches in the necessary files you modded in to the Main.Pack for e.g.).

Maybe it has been covered here somewhere, but I searched for a tut/explanation but could not find any. If there is one maybe someone would be so kind to point me to it please.

Cheers!

1 - download the pack file manager - http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=234546

2 - place it in this directory - C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data

3 - place the files you have modified in - C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data

4 - in the pack file manager go to file then click new and make sure its at the directory where your etw data folder is usually - C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data

5 - click on chose a pack action and click on add directory then add the files you have modified. make sure the files you have modified are in your data directory or else you will get an error.

6 - click on chose a pack action and select patch.

7 - lastly just save the file to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data
    thats it.

maybe i should make a new tutorial thread...
    Last edited by lesterthenerd; March 19, 2009 at 10:24 AM.

Cheers man will give that a go. I think what i missed was that the files have to be in that
    dir.

OH...hang on a min. Sorry but what i mean is how to make a "patch" file. For example take the "Smoke" mod,
    if I open the "patch_mod_smoke" file using the PFM I see this

As you can see it does ONLY have the files necessary to mod the smoke, not the whole Main.Pack data.
    It basically "patches" only this data in to Main.Pack...

Or did I not understood your post :p.

EDIT: MY BAD! read your post again and figured it out cheers man!.
    Last edited by CaptainCox; March 19, 2009 at 10:54 AM.

Innos's Avatar Campidoctor

Could somebody post a before/after pic please?
    U.L.B.C. | W.B.C.

"Rowing is the only sport that originated as a form of capital punishment."

Did I miss something?

I thought the OP said to download the .pack file, and just drop it in your data folder?

Is this method not working?

Is this mod bugging out Empire with anyone playing on Vista?

Thx

mp84's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Tiberius Vorenus View Post
    Did I miss something?

I thought the OP said to download the .pack file, and just drop it in your data folder?

Is this method not working?

Is this mod bugging out Empire with anyone playing on Vista?

Thx
    You may have to do this extra step to get the mod work, quoted from the major sticky that one of the CA Developers made:

Ok, it looks like I will need to go into a bit more detail about declaring mod packs to the game. You currently do need to tell the game which mod packs you want to have active. You do this by passing the game a script command for each mod you want to have active.

Here's a step-by-step guide:

- find your preferences.empire_script.txt file (in Application Data on an XP machine)
    - create a new text file next to it called user.empire_script.txt
    - inside there, list your mods like this, one line per mod:
    mod my_pack.pack;

The user script gets processed on load, and will tell the game to load your mods in that order. There are a whole bunch of other commands that can be used from there, including dependency definitions and so on, but we'll leave those for now. As I said, this is a quick preview of mechanisms that will be properly documented in the mod dev package.

So, about running 'unpacked'. Yes, the game currently will run unpacked, but doing that will alter the way in which the data precedence works in some cases, which means that as we add more patches it's not guaranteed to keep working. It may be convenient to work that way while tinkering with a mod, and that's fine, it's exactly why the feature exists, but I'd strongly recommend against giving other people mods which work like that. One last note - LtChambers is actually correct when he's seperating the released packs by CA into 'boot' and 'release' categories, but it's a minor distinction which has no real practical value from your point of view - for a modder, the two might as well be identical
    I know Vista is a little different, so maybe one of the vista users can chime in on what directory it is for Vista users.

Awesome piece of information..

In Vista it will be over here (you will need to make hidden folders viewable to see it, AppData is a hidden folder);
    C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Empire\scripts

goto - Tools - Folder Options - the View tab - then select under the View tab 'Show hidden files and folders'
    Last edited by Ibnarabi; March 19, 2009 at 05:52 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast