Thread: Fire & Advance

Default Fire & Advance

Could anyone explain to me when it is used and how usefull it is?

SCGavin's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Fire & Advance

I second that question. Do the regiments march-fire-march and so on or do they fire while moving?

The British army doctrine was to fire at a certain distance and then to charge making the most of the confusion, from a certain distance.

The Austrians also started to do this when their army was rebuilt under? following Austerlich (excuse the spelling) but charged from a greater distance.

They do not fire while moving. It's complicated to explain as I've witnessed it messily, but basically:

Rank A Advances, fires. Begins to reload.

Rank B advances, fires. Begins to Reload.

Then I Think Rank C advances, fires, begins to reload. Each 'hopping' over the previous rank's advance in order to step a little bit further.

heres how it work.
    say you got a setup with 3 lines

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
    2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
    3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3

1 fires, 2 moves up
    2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
    1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
    3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3

2 fires, 3 moves up
    3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3
    2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
    1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

imo not that usefull but fun to fool around with.

Jayzilla's Avatar Centenarius

yeah, It works as ahiga describes. I haven't used it extensively, but i do have the tech researched if you'd like me to playtest a bit. I tried activating it once when there was no enemy around, and they dont' move or do anything in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayzilla View Post
    yeah, It works as ahiga describes. I haven't used it extensively, but i do have the tech researched if you'd like me to playtest a bit. I tried activating it once when there was no enemy around, and they dont' move or do anything in that case.
    yeah, you have to activate it and then click on an enemy unit within firing range, then they will advance ... which makes it kinda pointless.
    what would be good if you could just click a unit outside of firing range, they march up and then start fire & advance.

the problem with fire and advance is you have to manually pick their target, they will not auto fire. The first volley wins in most engagements with line infantry so if you are not paying attention they will get pelted before engaging. As such its good for offense as you give each unit a target and let em go to work. Its key advantage is not fire power its that in F n A mode your unit spreads out and takes less damage while not giving up any firepower.

It would be more useful to have Fire and Retreat

Same thing but they fall back

Which would be good against Native Americans, Indians, and turks

Okay, so I've put off researching this because I don't want to lose Rank Fire. I take it this doesn't override that?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Spaghetti Monster View Post
    Okay, so I've put off researching this because I don't want to lose Rank Fire. I take it this doesn't override that?
    No its a side button. You're also safe with platoon because that is only reserved for the elite units.

So , no one really found out it's main use?

Quote Originally Posted by Yonatanl2 View Post
    So , no one really found out it's main use?
    It works well when used against light infantry. They have the advantage at range, so moving in and using the massed fire power of the line is a good idea. Plus, it spreads your men out a little, offering less target space.

The other thing is when you've outflanked their main line with your infantry. Fire & advance lets you slowly "roll up" their line while providing a constant stream of fire.

It can also be used as a setup for a charge against weaker infantry, like militia.

lol, it looks like Bounding Overwatch!

You want to use this ability when you're main line is pinning the enemy for a flanking action. The shock of the firing advance is overwhelming to the AI, and rightly so. It's hard to take a man's attention off the threat in front of him. The advantage is your men are drilled to "fire and advance" so I suspect they aren't taking shock adjustments, which means - their fire is accurate AND closing on the enemy. The enemy is continually under shock and less accurate, plus factor in the dying...

Think in terms of the period and the context and these abilities make a lot of sense. I'm grateful for them.