Page 2 of 80 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast

Thread: Pack File Manager 1.12 (w/ integrated .loc editor)

Default Re: Pack File Manager

I'll post a fix to prompt for the data directory if the regkey isn't found in a few hours. For those of you with no SteamApp 10500 registry key, did you install a retail copy of the game?

I suppose there may be a retail/steam difference after all; I was hoping there wasn't since even the retail game was Steam activated.

Prompt for data dir is usually the best way to do it imho

JohnHamm's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by LtChambers View Post
    I'll post a fix to prompt for the data directory if the regkey isn't found in a few hours. For those of you with no SteamApp 10500 registry key, did you install a retail copy of the game?

I suppose there may be a retail/steam difference after all; I was hoping there wasn't since even the retail game was Steam activated.

Yes mine is retail
    John W. Hamm

If you like what I post +REP
    and I'll do the same for you!!

G Rider's Avatar Tiro

Special forces is SteamApp 10600

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

I've created a tool for managing ETW pack files. Like some existing tools, it allows you to unpack and repack files, but it goes beyond that. You can create new pack files, replace files within the pack with files from hard disk (which is a lot more convenient than unpacking and then repacking everything!), and change pack types (boot/release/patch/movie). You can do all this from a relatively easy to use GUI:

It has an installer/uninstaller which I've attached to the thread. Consider this tool in beta, it almost certainly has some bugs. But it's already been useful to me in easily changing things in patch.pack. It'll also make it easy to see what happens when additional patch packs are added (i.e. for mods).

The program operates abstractly on the pack files you create and open, which means it doesn't load large files into memory or modify existing pack files until you're sure you have the changes set up the way you want. Changes are color-coded, black for existing files in the pack, green for new files, red for replacement files, and gray for deleted files.

I'm happy to hear feedback on the tool and possibly feature requests as well. I plan to set up a SourceForge project so development can continue by the community if CA doesn't release a similar, official tool.
    Good job writing this. I personally like the command line/input file approach better as in my opinion it's often cleaner and you can automate it more easily but a GUI is definitely important for people who aren't altogether into this "coding" stuff everybody mentions

Little nitpick: you don't need to unpack everything with my tool, either. Did anybody try what happens with the patch packs?

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

notger's Avatar Decanus

FYI: I have a retail-version, XP 32bit and it does not find the correct path.
    Last edited by notger; March 09, 2009 at 10:30 AM.

Tell's Avatar Laetus

Doesn't work with my downloaded version.
    Vista 32 bit.

Nice tool by the way, hopefully you release a fix soon.

@LtChambers: do you have the app without the installer as well btw?

Quote Originally Posted by G Rider View Post
    Special forces is SteamApp 10600
    Oh, devious.

Can you give me the full path? I'd like to see all 8 variations:

Steam/32-bit/regular-edition

Retail/32-bit/regular-edition

Steam/64-bit/regular-edition (this is mine)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 10500

Retail/64-bit/regular-edition

Steam/32-bit/Special-Forces-edition

Retail/32-bit/Special-Forces-edition

Steam/64-bit/Special-Forces-edition

Retail/64-bit/Special-Forces-edition

Does this pack file mean that we can open like descr_strat or any file that does the same things or anything? Sorry I suck at modding haha =)

Windows Vista X86
    Retail/32-bit/Special Forces Edition
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 10500

had the same error but its simple to make it work

how?

1st Export Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 10500
    2nd open with an Editor
    3rd change entry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 10500] to
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 10500]
    4th save
    5th import key by doubleklick on it

worked fine with me I hope it helps everyone with the same error too till there isn bugfix
    Last edited by nashal; March 09, 2009 at 11:51 AM.

Default Re: Pack File Manager 1.2

Updated to 1.2, see original post for details.

G Rider's Avatar Tiro

Oh, devious.

Can you give me the full path? I'd like to see all 8 variations:

Steam/32-bit/regular-edition

Retail/32-bit/regular-edition

Steam/64-bit/regular-edition (this is mine)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 10500

Retail/64-bit/regular-edition

Steam/32-bit/Special-Forces-edition

Retail/32-bit/Special-Forces-edition

Steam/64-bit/Special-Forces-edition

Retail/64-bit/Special-Forces-edition

Mine is a steam 32bit special forces version

I found it in my reg at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Steam App 10600
    Last edited by G Rider; March 09, 2009 at 12:11 PM.

Megasalexandros's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by puckaroocinni View Post
    After installing i get this error.

I have exactly the same problem, mine started installing and the screen just frezzed no progress at all.
    I stopped it( i tried at least) then a window opened and it said the same as above, then i tried to uninstall it and then install it again but i couldnt install it after the unistallation

Why are you using the path in the uninstall branch of the reg tree? That's internal for the uninstaller and will be different across Windows versions.

Why not use "InstallPath" under:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Valve\Steam

And then append "\steamapps\common\empire total war" ? That should read the same for any Windows version. I don't think there was an option to explicitly select the path for "Empire Total War" under steam apps.

- barvaz

When I was searching my registry I didn't find that location with a key inside containing the path to the ETW folder. Having the path to the key itself be the key is not really helpful if it can change at all. And Steam can be installed on different drives (mine is on D, so I wanted to capture that as well.

For those of you having problems with the installer, try the naked binary I uploaded. This is my first time trying the .NET "publisher" mechanism. I may upgrade it to use a simple MSI, but I'll have to do that from my work computer because it's only there I have the full Visual Studio instead of Express edition. I could use something like NullSoft installer, but I'm too lazy to learn it.

NONOPUST's Avatar Primicerius

I apologize for my obtuseness, but would unpacking files for my game affect anything?

I used to like to mod things for the previous TW games and i'd like to poke around with this one to get used to it

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    Good job writing this. I personally like the command line/input file approach better as in my opinion it's often cleaner and you can automate it more easily but a GUI is definitely important for people who aren't altogether into this "coding" stuff everybody mentions

Little nitpick: you don't need to unpack everything with my tool, either. Did anybody try what happens with the patch packs?
    I have no objection to you adding command-line hooks into PackFileManager. You can already open a pack file from command-line by just passing the filepath as the argument - that capability is the easiest way to get Explorer file association working.

I agree that some automated capability to access the various features would be nice.

Replace "db/unit_stats_land_tables/unit_stats_land" in the pack file with the file at "c:\etw-mod\unit_stats_land":
    PackFileManager.exe <pack filepath> -r db/unit_stats_land_tables/unit_stats_land c:\etw-mod\unit_stats_land

Add new file at "anim/foo.txt" from file at "c:\etw-mod\anim\foo.txt":
    PackFileManager.exe <pack filepath> -a anim/foo c:\etw-mod\anim\foo.txt

etc.

Quote Originally Posted by NONOPUST View Post
    I apologize for my obtuseness, but would unpacking files for my game affect anything?

I used to like to mod things for the previous TW games and i'd like to poke around with this one to get used to it
    As long as you don't move or delete your pack files, they will still take priority over the unpacked files, even if you make changes. However, unpacking, making changes to some files, and then replacing those files inside the pack using my tool is a relatively easy way to "poke around."

When I was searching my registry I didn't find that location with a key inside containing the path to the ETW folder. Having the path to the key itself be the key is not really helpful if it can change at all. And Steam can be installed on different drives (mine is on D, so I wanted to capture that as well.

Reading "InstallPath" from "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Valve\Steam" will give you something like:

C:\Program Files\Steam
    or
    D:\program Files\Steam
    Or whatever you installed steam to

I think the ETW installation is always relative to steam so appending "\steamapps\common\empire total war" will give you the full path to the ETW install.

- barvaz