Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Hungarian Hussar – A Magyar Huszár

Default Re: The Hungarian Hussar – A Magyar Huszár

We all originated from the Scythians. Save that, there are always the Twelve Tribes of Israel!
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad IV Felix View Post
    Snipa you know Serbian language!......againe!

gusar or gusari =pirate,pirates!
    help me but pirate are not robbers?
    u wanna say me that the hugarian king named his elite military light cavalries from pirate and robbers?

i wait for your evidence that serbs used military light cavalries before 1403 and their name was hussar...

because you said: After the word "Gusar"went to the "Husar" in the XIV century! -> its not enough!

gusar (band of robbers) != hussar (military light cavalries in hungarian army)

Quote Originally Posted by Carpathian Wolf View Post
    ==================

Tried and true tactic in Snipa's mind: Don't bring any sources and keep repeating what you want others to believe and you can't fail.

Seriously though i'd like to see some sources to what you have to say. I can't really see your side when you don't provide anything.
    boring to debate with rumenians who always use their dreams without evidence!
    Last edited by Justinian; March 09, 2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: double posts
    On his deathbed, hungarian John Hunyadi told his countrymen:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    "Defend, my friends, Christendom and Hungary from all enemies... Do not quarrel among yourselves. If you should waste your energies in altercations, you will seal your own fate as well as dig the grave of our country."

Only rumenian extremists claim that John Hunyadi was rumenian! John Hunyadi's father was Vajk his brother name was Magos, John's brother name was also Vajk both name Vajk&Magos are ancient hungarian names!
    Hungarian principality of Transylvania

Quote Originally Posted by snipa View Post
    boring to debate with rumenians who always use their dreams without evidence!

Dream this:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hussars

gg
    "Mors Certa, Hora Incerta."

"We are a brave people of a warrior race, descendants of the illustrious Romans, who made the world tremor. And in this way we will make it known to the whole world that we are true Romans and their descendants, and our name will never die and we will make proud the memories of our parents." ~ Despot Voda 1561

"The emperor Trajan, after conquering this country, divided it among his soldiers and made it into a Roman colony, so that these Romanians are descendants, as it is said, of these ancient colonists, and they preserve the name of the Romans." ~ 1532, Francesco della Valle Secretary of Aloisio Gritti, a natural son to Doge

Quote Originally Posted by Hun Birodalom View Post
    Magyars are genetically related to Serbs but not Romanians. Magyars were by no means few in numbers and were most definitely not absorbed by natives. Here’s why: the initial population of Magyars was at least 250000 and upwards of 500000.
    Well, a group of geneticists which include several Italian university professors and two PhD holders from the Department of Human Genetics and Teratology, National Institute of Hygiene, Budapest, Hungary published an article in the European Journal of Human Genetics about the initial population of Magyars. Here's the conclusion:
    Magyars imposed their language on Hungarians but seem not to have affected their genetic structure.[...]
    These results suggest that the influence of Magyars on the Hungarian gene pool has been very low through both females and males and the Hungarian language could be an example of cultural dominance.
    The above mentioned genetic study indicates the following happened in the 9th century: a relatively small group of warriors took advantage of the relative power vacuum in the Carpathian Basin, defeated the small local duchies one by one and established themselves as the ruling class over the much larger local population.

Here's another genetic study, this time done by a Hungarian-only team, confirming the Magyars were so few compared to the population they conquered that almost no traces of them can be found among the modern Hungarians:
    Quote Originally Posted by Comparison of maternal lineage and biogeographic analyses of ancient and modern Hungarian populations.
    Tömöry G, Csányi B, Bogácsi-Szabó E, Kalmár T, Czibula A, Csosz A, Priskin K, Mende B, Langó P, Downes CS, Raskó I.

Institute of Genetics, Biological Research Center of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, 6726 Szeged, Hungary.

The Hungarian language belongs to the Finno-Ugric branch of the Uralic family, but Hungarian speakers have been living in Central Europe for more than 1000 years, surrounded by speakers of unrelated Indo-European languages.

In order to study the continuity in maternal lineage between ancient and modern Hungarian populations, polymorphisms in the HVSI and protein coding regions of mitochondrial DNA sequences of 27 ancient samples (10th-11th centuries), 101 modern Hungarian, and 76 modern Hungarian-speaking Sekler samples from Transylvania were analyzed. The data were compared with sequences derived from 57 European and Asian populations, including Finno-Ugric populations, and statistical analyses were performed to investigate their genetic relationships.

Only 2 of 27 ancient Hungarian samples are unambiguously Asian: the rest belong to one of the western Eurasian haplogroups, but some Asian affinities, and the genetic effect of populations who came into contact with ancient Hungarians during their migrations are seen.

Strong differences appear when the ancient Hungarian samples are analyzed according to apparent social status, as judged by grave goods. Commoners show a predominance of mtDNA haplotypes and haplogroups (H, R, T), common in west Eurasia, while high-status individuals, presumably conquering Hungarians, show a more heterogeneous haplogroup distribution, with haplogroups (N1a, X) which are present at very low frequencies in modern worldwide populations and are absent in recent Hungarian and Sekler populations.

Modern Hungarian-speaking populations seem to be specifically European. Our findings demonstrate that significant genetic differences exist between the ancient and recent Hungarian-speaking populations, and no genetic continuity is seen.
    Since the modern day Hungarians are mainly the descendants of the locals found in the Carpathian basin by the Magyar conquerors the other issue in your post is you claim the Modern Hungarians to be more related to the Serbs than to their "arch-rivals" the Romanians. Well, "an image tells more than 1000 words" (say the Chinese). How about two images, with the genetic structure of the Romanians, Hungarians and Serbs side by side?

[IMG]http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gallgaedhil
    /Haplogroups_In_Europe.jpg[/IMG]

and here's the second genetic map of Europe:

So to put the things into the right context:
    1) The Magyars who invaded the Carpathian basin in the 9th century were a handful of individuals who ended up assimilated by the much larger local populations they had conquered. The genetically closest relatives of the modern-day Hungarians are the Romanians (ah, the irony!), the Serbs and the Slovaks, in that descending order;
    2) The small number of Magyars who led the tribal federation which conquered the Carpathian basin in the 9th century were originally from Western Siberia. They are the ones who passed the Hungarian language to the nowadays Hungarians through cultural dominance, not through numbers.
    3) The Avars and the Huns were Turkic peoples (a 6th century Byzantine author states the Avars and the Huns speak the same language) while the Scythians and Sarmatians were Iranian peoples. Neither the Scythians nor the Huns were Ugric, therefore neither was related to the Magyars.
    4) The federation of tribes led by the Magyars might have had Iranian and Turkic elements but the whole federation was comprised by a handful of people. Therefore to claim the Hungarians are the descendants of the Scythians is quite a big stretch.

By the time the Hussars were created (16th century), the 9th century conquerors' genes had long since disappeared in the much larger mass of Romanians and Serbs.
    Last edited by Dromikaites; March 09, 2009 at 02:56 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MareNostrum

Sarmatism was a cultural phenomenon. I don't think any main line historians consider the Poles to be Sarmatians.
    Very true. I would also add that Sarmatism was a cultural phenomenon among the Polish nobility, partly serving as a way of setting themselves apart from (higher than) the Slavic serfs.
    Last edited by ivan_the_terrible; March 09, 2009 at 05:12 AM.

Odovacar's Avatar I am with Europe!

I can't believe we are disputing a mere name...
    The truth is that nobody can prove the exact origin of the hussar word, it can be gusari, it can be "húsz" (twenty) or something else.

No one can call into question -and I think no one does-that the fame attached to the name hussar was deserved, and this fame was rightly claimed by hungarian hussars, who carried the use of hussars into Europe.

Other nations had their own hero units too. Like the russian cossack, rightly compared to the hussar in horsemanship, but different, or the originally slavic "croat" riders or the finnish hakkapellita.

As for the hungarian heritage, yes, we are related to most peoples in the Carpathian basin, especially slavs and somewhat to germans, and so on. The scyithian origin is a myth.
    The alanian is not, as both the original magyar tribal alliance and the later hungarians had alanic/iranian elements (the jasz) In Hungary till the late 18th century the jasz language was spoken.
    Last edited by Odovacar; March 09, 2009 at 05:25 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB HORSEARCHER
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

Sorry Armenia, for the rascals who lead us.

I cannot honestly believe I am debating with people who consider Sarmatism some scientifically-backed fact. Polish nobles dress up in awkward lamellar armor and suddenly we have a new theory on origins...
    It's as Ivan_the_terrible says: a theory designed to set the nobility appart from the common Slavs.

snipa, I suggest you to calm down. I do not know why it hurts your national pride that gusars originated in Serbia, primarily as a counter to Turkish light horse tactics. After fall of central Serbian lands in 1459. they continued to operate from southern Hungary (present day north Serbia), under command of Serbian nobles who had estates in southern Hungary and even held titles of Despots of Serbia, under patronage of Hungarian kings. They were very successful in riding Ottoman territory (numerous raiding campaigns it will be too much to post here).

So, they originated as Serbian unit, but they earned world fame as Hungarian hussars. Why is that so bad for your national pride?

It is very well established fact, included in DBA board games fanatics looong before PC games were there. You are welcomed to do some research. That is why gusars are included as Serbian unit in all MTW mods with Serbia as a faction.

Well done Hun Birodalom!

On the behalf of the origin, the argument of where the word deprived is different, but if it's Serbian, than ask the question why there aren't Serbian "Gussars" today or why there isn't a well known tradition in Serbia regarding the "Gussars", unless of course I am wrong and somehow I missed something.

By the some correction, regarding the uniforms.

Matyas Corvinus Huszar uniform and equipment:

(15th century)

Heavier equipped, more of a transition between heavy cavalry to light cavalry.

Similarities in the uniform/equipment to the Conquesting Magyars:

Arpad (896AD)

16th Century:

17th Century:

18th Century:

19th Century:

20th Century:
    WWI

WWII.
    Az 1. Huszárhadosztály (1st Hussar squadron)

Hussars across the sea, Hussars in foreign lands:

English Hussar: (England 19th Century)

French Hussar (France, 18th Century)

Russian Hussar (Russia 18th Century)

American Hussar (United States of America)

Black Hussars
    (San Francisco Hussars)
    http://militarymuseum.org/BlackHussars.html

Richmond Hussars (USA)
    http://www.78thtroop.com/878thEN/history.htm

Edgefield Hussars:

Punishment for desertion

Huszar Charge:

Hussars used in the most recent times (2006 Oct 23rd, protest against the government) Indeed and might be shocking for other Hungarians to learn that this was a Hussar Regiment used by the Goverment for crowd dispersion, I know this because I have talked to one of them.

Note: I didn't cover the Polish Hussars, because they also have very extensive history.
    Last edited by HorseArcher; March 09, 2009 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by snipa View Post
    help me but pirate are not robbers?
    u wanna say me that the hugarian king named his elite military light cavalries from pirate and robbers?

i wait for your evidence that serbs used military light cavalries before 1403 and their name was hussar...

because you said: After the word "Gusar"went to the "Husar" in the XIV century! -> its not enough!

gusar (band of robbers) != hussar (military light cavalries in hungarian army)
    As far as Gusari-Husari(Hussars),Husari-Hussars us the answer to the Turkish spahi and akindi.Becouse Serbia fell they were left in Hungary and served Matthias Corvinus1458-1490.He is see ability Husars-Hussars (Gusari-the pirates) and established the Hungarian unit of tipe.Initially they fought in small bands indeed, but were reorganised into a strong, highly-trained and motivated formation.
    Husari were structured into smaller groups and banderije who served on the border with the Ottoman Empire.

in Hungarian countries were 10000-12000 Serb mercenaries soldiers. They are usually waged a war in the armed forces of the Serbian and Hungarian nobility, and served as soldiers in the rivers ( "nasadisti" or "šajkaši") as a light cavalry (Husari). In 1481st the three-month salary of light horsemen was 10 gold pieces, and twenty years later Serbian light horsemen received their 8-10 gold pieces a year. So the influx of Serbian warriors to mass migration and the entry of the Serbs in the military class cost mercenar warriors in the area of the Danube, at the place of permanent military conflict.

Fall of the Serbian despotos Hungarian kingdom lost the buffer zone to the Turks and had taken a direct contact with the Turkish border. Hungarian King Matthias Corvinus immediately is the need to move see prominent Serbian patricians, experienced in the war with the Turks, in the border areas in the south of the Kingdom. In 1464th in Hungary by the few powerful figures, who in the coming decades, influenced the history of "small war" at the border. Son Gregory slepog Brankovic, a grandson Despota Djurdja, Vuk Grgurević (in epskoj poetry dragon Ognjen Vuk) got possession of Srem (kupinovo, Irig, Berkasovo) and Banatu (Bečkerek). Jakšić brothers, Stefan and Dmitar, sons of Duke Jakše, arrived from Pomoravlje, got the possession in Pomorišju, situated in Nadlaku. Milos Belmužević, the last Duke Despota Đurađ Brankovića to reap commander and international city, has received a property in the back Potisju.

After Matthias Corvinus death Husari- Hussars were spread across Central Europe.
    The hussars predecessors appeared in Poland at around the turn of the 16th Century, they were Serbian and Hungarian mercenaries known as 'raclowice' or 'usaria' (usars).
    "raclowice" - from Hungarian Raci for the Serbs, see Raška,Rašani..

Researched and Written by Margaret Odrowaz-Sypniewska, B.F.A. SOURCES: Brzezinski, Richard. Polish Armies 1569-1600. (volume 1) #184 in the Osprey Men-at-Arms Series. London: Osprey Publishing, 6, 16. Brzezinski, Richard. Polish Winged Hussar 1576-1775. Warrior Series. Oxford: Osprey Publishing Ltd., 2006. Hollins, David. Hungarian Hussars 1756-1815. Osprey Warrior Series. Oxford: Osprey Publishing, Ltd., 2003. Klucina, Petr. (Illustrations by Pavol Pevny) Armor: From Ancient To Modern Times. Reprinted by New York: Barnes & Noble Books, 1992, (by permission of Slovart Publishing Ltd, Batislava). Ostrowski, Jan K., et al. Art in Poland: Land of the Winged Horsemen 1572-1764. Baltimore: Art Services International, 1999. Wasilkowska, Anna. The Winged Horsemen. Warsaw: Wydawnictwo Interpress, 1998. Zamoyski, Adam. The Polish Way. New York: Hippocrene Books, 1996

Serbian light cavalries period of IX to XII century represented soldiers shielded light leather or armored, and often armored by metal flake.
    During the period of XII-XV century in Serbia have started to introduce modern shields with the West.

some pic from ljubičevskih festival

Last edited by Baron Vlad Felix; March 09, 2009 at 11:58 AM.

I do not understand why people try to prove hussars are an "ancient Magyar military tradition." It's ridiculous because the military system of the Hungarian kingdom was completely reorganized in the mid-13th century. Banderia were introduced, the Anjou dynasty brought in Western feudal military traditions and suddenly there was a a huge restructuring of the entire army. By the time of Janos Hunyadi/Iancu de Hunedoara the entire army was roughly the same as those in Germany or France. Horse archery became increasingly rare and increasingly poorer in quality (by the 15th century we read from many sources that the Turks had a qualitative edge over the Hungarians in this regard). The Hungarian hussar created during Matthias's reign was not a continuation of Hungarian military tradition, it was not even a revitalization of Hungarian military tradition. The Hungarian hussar was a new military concept which was probably taken from the Serbs but refined in a true military unit in Hungary, which created a new military tradition in Western armies.

KaerMorhen's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by ivan_the_terrible View Post
    Very true. I would also add that Sarmatism was a cultural phenomenon among the Polish nobility, partly serving as a way of setting themselves apart from (higher than) the Slavic serfs.
    it was a cultural phenomenon among the whole PLC nobility not only ours.
    The Hussars/Husaria came to us from Serbia via Hungary so I'm curious why so many romanians are involved in this thread especially if Hussars have nothing to do with them:hmmm:

Quote Originally Posted by KaerMorhen View Post
    The Hussars/Husaria came to us from Serbia via Hungary so I'm curious why so many romanians are involved in this thread especially if Hussars have nothing to do with them:hmmm:
    First you say we'e too nationalistic, now we're not nationalistic enough apperantly.
    Anyway Vlad is a Serbian citizen and I'm posting because I am researching Balkan military development.
    BTW, Romania (like every other country in Europe) had hussars called hansari. What's interesting is that like gusari the hansari were paid in loot, not with a salary or land. More evidence for a Serbian origin?
    Last edited by Romano-Dacis; March 09, 2009 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Romano-Dacis View Post
    First you say we'e too nationalistic, now we're not nationalistic enough apperantly.
    Anyway Vlad is a Serbian citizen and I'm posting because I am researching Balkan military development.
    BTW, Romania (like every other country in Europe) had hussars called hansari. What's interesting is that like gusari the hansari were paid in loot, not with a salary or land. More evidence for a Serbian origin?
    don't get me wrong but I don't care about Hussars orgins, the only thing I care is their historical impact for Polish military and their development in time untill they become Winged. I have read some books and articles about them before they entered into Polish warfare but none of them mentioned Romanian(Vallahia/Moldavia) hussars but that's not important.
    I don't know who was first to have them Serbs or Magyars - I failed to believe it is important but obviously I can be wrong.

I have read some books and articles about them before they entered into Polish warfare but none of them mentioned Romanian(Vallahia/Moldavia) hussars but that's not important.
    The hansari (Wallachian/Moldavian version of the Serbian hussars) were marginal to the Romanian armies during the Middle Ages. The military doctrine of those two countries favored another type of soldier which would be later called "dragoon" in the Western armies. From 17th century onwards in the Western armies the term dragoon meant a soldier who mainly fights on foot but moves on horseback.

The Wallachians and Moldavians preferred to fight mainly on foot because the terrain was more suited for infantry operations and the military tradition favored ambushes over open battles. However unlike the dragoons, those soldiers were also competent light cavalry because they constantly had to thwart the Tatar or Akinci (light Ottoman cavalry) raids. The lack of large open spaces (the territory of Romania was covered mainly by forests until mid 19th century) made less stringent the need for a specialized light cavalry and therefore the hansari were never trained in large numbers.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MareNostrum

Odovacar's Avatar I am with Europe!

No, their origin is not important.
    I couldn't care less if they had come from Virginia or Australia

But that the bosevikh gov. used hussars against the people..that cries for blood, HorseArcher!
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB HORSEARCHER
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

Sorry Armenia, for the rascals who lead us.

Quote Originally Posted by Odovacar View Post
    No, their origin is not important.
    I couldn't care less if they had come from Virginia or Australia

What Romanians can't post in this thread in such large numbers?

We did have hansari.
    "Mors Certa, Hora Incerta."

"We are a brave people of a warrior race, descendants of the illustrious Romans, who made the world tremor. And in this way we will make it known to the whole world that we are true Romans and their descendants, and our name will never die and we will make proud the memories of our parents." ~ Despot Voda 1561

"The emperor Trajan, after conquering this country, divided it among his soldiers and made it into a Roman colony, so that these Romanians are descendants, as it is said, of these ancient colonists, and they preserve the name of the Romans." ~ 1532, Francesco della Valle Secretary of Aloisio Gritti, a natural son to Doge

We did have hansari.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dromikaites View Post
    The hansari (Wallachian/Moldavian version of the Serbian hussars) were marginal to the Romanian armies during the Middle Ages. The military doctrine of those two countries favored another type of soldier which would be later called "dragoon" in the Western armies. From 17th century onwards in the Western armies the term dragoon meant a soldier who mainly fights on foot but moves on horseback.
    ok, but as I said my concern is Polish Husaria not foreign orgin of her

Because they like to tell everyone what their "true" history is.
    I apologize for the comment about Sarmatism, I am not as familiar with the topic as I should be and I was just simply citing a source. The source could be wrong and I shouldn't have been so rude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Romano-Dacis View Post
    Well Hungarian Hussars were most certainly not paid in loot. Regular service was paid from the treasury and officers were given land as well as noble status if they weren't already. You can read in my article that they were not allowed to rob citizens in any circumstance. I guess your "gusars" actually went to Romania not Hungary.

@Dromikaites

The articles you presented are all minor studies with small numbers of specimens. They also don’t take into consideration the Y chromosome haplotypes EU18 and EU19. Please read the genetic study included in my new thread for information on EU18 and EU19.
    Last edited by Hun Birodalom; March 09, 2009 at 09:13 PM.