Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
Results 181 to 194 of 194

Thread: The Hungarian Hussar – A Magyar Huszár

  1. #181

    Default Re: The Hungarian Hussar – A Magyar Huszár

    Quote Originally Posted by tabacila View Post
    Once more, slowly this time and using small words: the guy on the right without a horse under him is supposed to be Stefan the Great, the guy on the left without a horse under him is supposed to be Matthias, the only guy with a horse under him is supposed to be a Moldavian light horseman.
    then read my post again, my question was the light cavalryman on the picture has a hungarian shield or not? or you guys want to say me that a moldavian frontier cavalryman used hungarian shield? hmm?

    i dunno what so difficult....

    Because original description of the picture clearly states that it is Stefan cel Mare?!
    who? the cavalryman? im talking about the light cavalry man who wear a shield with hungarian symbol...
    On his deathbed, hungarian John Hunyadi told his countrymen:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    "Defend, my friends, Christendom and Hungary from all enemies... Do not quarrel among yourselves. If you should waste your energies in altercations, you will seal your own fate as well as dig the grave of our country."

    Only rumenian extremists claim that John Hunyadi was rumenian! John Hunyadi's father was Vajk his brother name was Magos, John's brother name was also Vajk both name Vajk&Magos are ancient hungarian names!
    Hungarian principality of Transylvania

  2. #182

    Default Re: The Hungarian Hussar – A Magyar Huszár

    Quote Originally Posted by snipa View Post
    then read my post again, my question was the light cavalryman on the picture has a hungarian shield or not? or you guys want to say me that a moldavian frontier cavalryman used hungarian shield? hmm?
    Red and white stripes are not solely restricted to Arpad's heraldry, for your information. That type of heraldry was common in Poland, Moldavia, and Wallachia as well. There are plenty of examples of Romanian shields with striped red-white heraldry.

    For instance, this shield comes from 15th century Moldavia yet it not only has that sloped-back design but also red and white stripes.


    who? the cavalryman? im talking about the light cavalry man who wear a shield with hungarian symbol...
    But the caption quite explicitly states that the guy on the horse is a Moldavian cavalryman. Now of course it's just an image reconstruction and I can't exactly call it hard evidence, but the fact is you either misinterpreted the image or deliberately mislabelled it.

    For the record: The image shows King Matthias Corvinus, Voievod Stefan cel Mare, and a Moldavian light cavalryman.
    Last edited by Romano-Dacis; March 27, 2009 at 10:16 AM.

  3. #183

    Default Re: The Hungarian Hussar – A Magyar Huszár

    i dunno who was the author of this picture and what was his target but i dont think so that a moldavian horse archer had a shield with hungarian symbol...
    but who knows the true

    i've newer seen any old pictures about wallachian or moldavian soldiers used red & white stripes on their weapons or flags (this symbol also not included in their coat of arms)...

    just some pictures from old chronicles where hungarians use this symbol from 11th c.:
    Attachment 35035 Attachment 35036 Attachment 35037 Attachment 35038 Attachment 35039 Attachment 35040 Attachment 35041

    and here is a picture from Thuroczy chronicle from battle between Matthias and Stefan cel Mare from 15th c.:
    Attachment 35042

    so im sure im not wrong when i guess this symbol mostly was used by hungarians...
    On his deathbed, hungarian John Hunyadi told his countrymen:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    "Defend, my friends, Christendom and Hungary from all enemies... Do not quarrel among yourselves. If you should waste your energies in altercations, you will seal your own fate as well as dig the grave of our country."

    Only rumenian extremists claim that John Hunyadi was rumenian! John Hunyadi's father was Vajk his brother name was Magos, John's brother name was also Vajk both name Vajk&Magos are ancient hungarian names!
    Hungarian principality of Transylvania

  4. #184

    Default Re: The Hungarian Hussar – A Magyar Huszár

    Quote Originally Posted by snipa View Post
    i dunno who was the author of this picture and what was his target but i dont think so that a moldavian horse archer had a shield with hungarian symbol...
    but who knows the true
    The author is the late Angus McBride who did a ton of historical illustrations.
    i've newer seen any old pictures about wallachian or moldavian soldiers used red & white stripes on their weapons or flags (this symbol also not included in their coat of arms)...

    You are some piece of work. Didn't R-D just show a picture of an actual Moldavian shield with the exact pattern on it?
    Shall I take it that the lack on contemporary illustrations is a more powerful argument than the existence of the real thing?
    Play 'March of Death'. Play it, unless you know a sadder song.
    Play something to make your soul weep. If you have one still.

  5. #185

    Default Re: The Hungarian Hussar – A Magyar Huszár

    Guys, let's just get this petty squabble over with, shall we? Hungary was vessel of Wallachia, all Hussars were Moldovan and Romania is the successor of the Roman Empire.
    There, someone had to say the truth finally! End of debate.

  6. #186

    Default Re: The Hungarian Hussar – A Magyar Huszár

    The discussion about the Arpad stripes is wholly irrelevant. The only fact is that the image caption states it is an image of a Moldavian horseman. If you are going to reinterpret an image to suit your agenda at least don't do it behind our backs. If a book writes one thing and then you write another thing, hoping people are too lazy and stupid to cross-reference, then you are lying.

    So the point remains snipa: you did not give the correct caption to that image. Either admit that you are wrong, or a liar, or both. That guy's shield could say "ego sum hungarus" for all I care, the fact is in the book he is labelled as a Moldavian horseman. If you're going to re-interpret then give fair warning to readers.

    I can understand being wrong; you can find a lot of things through Google Images that don't show what you were intending to find. However, persisting in ignorance when someone shows you the actual quote from the book is just unacceptable.
    Last edited by Romano-Dacis; March 27, 2009 at 12:41 PM.

  7. #187

    Default Re: The Hungarian Hussar – A Magyar Huszár

    Quote Originally Posted by Romano-Dacis View Post
    So the point remains snipa: you did not give the correct caption to that image. Either admit that you are wrong, or a liar, or both. That guy's shield could say "ego sum hungarus" for all I care, the fact is in the book he is labelled as a Moldavian horseman. If you're going to re-interpret then give fair warning to readers.
    jesus, what is my lie? (btw its realy funny to read from you )
    1. i found this picture in a website where were many "picture about medieval soldiers", i saw there is an infantry who has hungarian symbols, and also saw a horse archer who has a shield with hungarian symbol... there was no any caption, do u think i missed a caption that one of this soldier is king Matthias? LOL
    2. the facts that i've newer seen any chronicle pictures about wallachian or moldavian soldiers used red&white stripes, i showed a chronicle picture from a battle between hungarian & moldavians and what a surprise only hungarian used this symbol if u have then pls show me... u posted a shield but i dont see red&white stripes only red... and is it realy a moldavian shield? its looks like a hungarian hussar shield...
    3. now what is your target? do you want to show me where Angus McBride said its a moldavian horse archer? then do it... do you want to show me the original picture where i can read the original caption? then do it.. just pls stop your boring whining... or what is your target?

    I can understand being wrong; you can find a lot of things through Google Images that don't show what you were intending to find. However, persisting in ignorance when someone shows you the actual quote from the book is just unacceptable.
    actualy i didnt read the book...
    and i dont see anything why i should change my statement: "im sure im not wrong when i guess this symbol mostly was used by hungarians..."

    or you want to say its false?
    Last edited by snipa; March 27, 2009 at 01:58 PM.
    On his deathbed, hungarian John Hunyadi told his countrymen:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    "Defend, my friends, Christendom and Hungary from all enemies... Do not quarrel among yourselves. If you should waste your energies in altercations, you will seal your own fate as well as dig the grave of our country."

    Only rumenian extremists claim that John Hunyadi was rumenian! John Hunyadi's father was Vajk his brother name was Magos, John's brother name was also Vajk both name Vajk&Magos are ancient hungarian names!
    Hungarian principality of Transylvania

  8. #188

    Default Re: The Hungarian Hussar – A Magyar Huszár

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerWizard View Post
    Guys, let's just get this petty squabble over with, shall we? Hungary was vessel of Wallachia, all Hussars were Moldovan and Romania is the successor of the Roman Empire.
    There, someone had to say the truth finally! End of debate.
    On his deathbed, hungarian John Hunyadi told his countrymen:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    "Defend, my friends, Christendom and Hungary from all enemies... Do not quarrel among yourselves. If you should waste your energies in altercations, you will seal your own fate as well as dig the grave of our country."

    Only rumenian extremists claim that John Hunyadi was rumenian! John Hunyadi's father was Vajk his brother name was Magos, John's brother name was also Vajk both name Vajk&Magos are ancient hungarian names!
    Hungarian principality of Transylvania

  9. #189

    Default Re: The Hungarian Hussar – A Magyar Huszár

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerWizard View Post
    Guys, let's just get this petty squabble over with, shall we? Hungary was vessel of Wallachia, all Hussars were Moldovan and Romania is the successor of the Roman Empire.
    There, someone had to say the truth finally! End of debate.

    Why do you say things like that especially when no one even claimed any of those? Do you think it's witty?
    "Mors Certa, Hora Incerta."

    "We are a brave people of a warrior race, descendants of the illustrious Romans, who made the world tremor. And in this way we will make it known to the whole world that we are true Romans and their descendants, and our name will never die and we will make proud the memories of our parents." ~ Despot Voda 1561

    "The emperor Trajan, after conquering this country, divided it among his soldiers and made it into a Roman colony, so that these Romanians are descendants, as it is said, of these ancient colonists, and they preserve the name of the Romans." ~ 1532, Francesco della Valle Secretary of Aloisio Gritti, a natural son to Doge

  10. #190
    Indefinitely Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Castle 2_5_2, Kingdom of Swissland, BlackHawkClan Empire
    Posts
    3,906

    Default Re: The Hungarian Hussar – A Magyar Huszár

    Long Live Hungary! Long Live Croatia! Long Live Swiss and Austria!

  11. #191

    Default Re: The Hungarian Hussar – A Magyar Huszár

    Quote Originally Posted by {BHC}Warman888 View Post
    Long Live Hungary! Long Live Croatia! Long Live Swiss and Austria!
    Long live necromancy?

  12. #192

    Default Re: The Hungarian Hussar – A Magyar Huszár

    I can't figure out how to start my own new thread, so I hope someone will see this message and be able to help me....its my first time on a forum. To try and keep things short and sweet, I have a solid gold medal type thing that basically looks like a coin with a loop on top so u can wear it like a necklace than I am trying to find information about. I know it is really old around 15th or 16th century and has been secretly passed down in my family for generations. All my grandmother can tell me about it is that it is solid gold, is from around the time frame I previously listed, and that the image on the front side is of a Huszar. There is latin writing on the front and back side of the pendant that I don't understand. The front has one huszar on horseback and the back has a ship of some sort with three men that look like they are knights and one of the men looks like he may be getting struck on the head by one of them. I remember the word ll Rakoczi Ferenc on one side of the pendant, but I can't remember right now if it was the front or back side. For as old as my grandmother claims this thing is, it looks like it was minted yesterday. I hope somebody can enlighten me as to what exaclty this pendant is and what it means and maybe give me advice on someone to take it to. I wish I could just take it on antiques roadshow and try to figure out information about it.

  13. #193

    Default Re: The Hungarian Hussar – A Magyar Huszár

    I should also maybe add that I keep seeing this double cross symbol pooping up and have no idea what it means. I have been told my family comes from nobility, but then that's pretty much all my grandmother will say. She has always been very secretive and won't talk much and acts like she needs to watch her back all the time for some reason. Our family name was changed for some reason, but on a picture of our family seal we have with that old name I see that double cross symbol again. My deceased grandfather was in the military and supposedly came from a long line of military family, but we really don't know much about it. Everything seems to always be a secret in my family so hopefully someone can enlighten me.

  14. #194

    Default Re: The Hungarian Hussar – A Magyar Huszár

    @kdweyandt:

    Well II. Rákoczy Ferenc (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis...3%A1k%C3%B3czi) was the leader of the "Rákoczy Uprising" a long war of independence agains the Habsburgs rule in Hungary from 1703 to 1711(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A1...r_Independence).
    Maybe the pendant you have could have something to do with it.

    By the way: about how long was the latin writing and was "Pro Patria at Libertate" on it? (it means "For Country and freedom - the Motto of the Hungarian freedom fighters).

    You mentioned a double cross - was is something like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriarchal_cross
    or the one in the Coat of arms of Hungary:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Hungary ?

    I can't tell anything for sure, however I hope this can help you in some way.
    "He will die, but you will be destroyed" - Marion. From the AAR "Sword of Albion" by Theodotos I.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •