Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Simple Trade Guide

Hardrada992's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Simple Trade Guide

The only way to do it is to look along the length of the dotted lines, and I'm almost positive that all your trade routes uncover what's under the FOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrada992 View Post
    So there's a new thread asking for help with trade, and rather than write a little post there I'll write a short guide here.

Trade is perhaps the most important aspect of your nations economy- It can easily yield a lot of gold with minimal input on your part.

When you first begin, find out how many "trade" ports you have. If you don't start with one you should change one of your ports to a trade port. To do this click on the port, then on the building icon on the UI. There is a button on the left with a torch, click that to destroy the current building. Next turn you will be able to build one of three different kinds of ports. (Pick trade).

Also in the beginning you should send whatever navies you have to the different trade theaters. If you can only pick one or two go with Madagascar or the Ivory Coast (the African ones), as they seem to be the most lucrative. Place some ships on one of the gold "nodes" to reserve it for your trade ships.

If you have trade ships, send them to these nodes right away, otherwise build them as soon as you can and send them to your reserved spots. Trade ships have a gold coin on their portrait.

These nodes provide stuff like Ivory and Tea. You can see what your bringing in on the trade tab in your government window.

This shows a ship on a trade node. Notice that you can have more than one trade ship on a node, each one will earn you a little more money/bring in more goods.
    You can also get resources from your territories, they show up on the map like in previous TW games. European regions seem a little sparse, so if you don't start with any regions in the New World or India, start looking to do so. When you locate some, build a plantation over it by clicking on it and then selecting the building to build. (Is this simple enough....?)

Once you have a plantation built you will make some money off it in that region, but to add those resources to your tradeable goods you need a trade port in that region, or an adjacent region that is connected by roads (I'm pretty sure).

Now that you have goods to trade, you need people to trade them to. You should have started off with some trade partners, and depending on how many trade ports you have you may be able to add a few more. Try to get deals with the larger nations, as they can buy more of your stuff.

The list of nations you are trading with is under the "trade" tab. This shows you what you are bringing in and from where. On the right side you can see how much you are making off of each nation. If one seems too low, you can always cancel that trade agreement and try to find someone else to trade with.

If the line showing the goods on the trade tab is red on either the incoming or outgoing displays, that means a port is being blockaded and the goods aren't moving.

Also, try to keep the better deals for as long as you can, because you start to earn more money on deals that have lasted for a while. I went from making 1000 to 7000 or so from the Ottomans this way.

This is the Trade menu.
    The top portion shows how much each good is worth per unit. This number can change through out the game.

The Middle portion shows what you are bringing in from your empire.
    Notice that America is bringing quite a lot because I have upgraded its plantations and ports.

The bottom portion shows what you are exporting.
    Notice how much is being made from the Mughals and the Ottomans, both large nations.

Also:watch out for pirates and rival nations! One blocked trade route can cut off a large portion of your tradeable goods.

Ok, there's my simple guide. I hope it helps.
    no tea nodes

Quote Originally Posted by Tacgnol View Post
    no tea nodes

You can get tea from several regions in India, but not from any of the trade nodes.

The only way to do it is to look along the length of the dotted lines, and I'm almost positive that all your trade routes uncover what's under the FOW.
    That's what I thought, must be a bug then...which is disappointing. Thanks though!

How do trading ports work? Having more is better or have one at you capital city is enough?

You need a trading port in your "home" region, and also one in your colonies that produce trade goods. So say you are Britain and you have a colony in Canada that produces furs. You need a trade port in that region and one in a home region, either England, Scotland, or Ireland, I don't think it has to be at your capital. If you have say all of the Americas you still only need one trade port, even if you have multiple regions with different resources. If you then gain a territory in India, you will need a new trade port there as well.
    So if you conquer say, Mysore, and they just have a fishing port, destroy that and rebuild a trade port.

Upgrading your ports will allow you to open more trade agreements with other factions and will also allow you to export more goods. You also need to keep up on upgrading your plantations if you want to maintain a high amount of goods for trade.

Quote Originally Posted by tuore View Post
    Nice, but some screens could be nice.
    Yeah that would be good.

and your signature is working i think you scared everyone into repping you lol

Hmm? there are screen shots, I just didn't implement them very well.

And what do you mean about my sig?

I put a merchant ship on a trade node but it seems im not getting any income from it, no dotted lines connecting the trade node to the trade route

I just concqured another nation with its trade port. But somehow theres no green dots through tradingport and no trading at plantations.

How do you conquer a nation with a trade port? I usually use cannon, men, muskets :p

ThanksALatte, odds are that the nation you captured won't have a trade line from its port. Why? Well first you have to understand the trade flow in ETW. Trade good in ETW always, ALWAYS flow through the nation's capital and are then distributed to customers. Land trading routes are used preferentially over sea trade routes when available.

There are only three ways a region other than your home region has a trade lane from its port. Either a resource originates in the region and a sea route is the only way to get it back to the home region, a resource originates in another region where the only possible connection is through the original region's port back to home, or that the home region itself can only receieve the resource if it goes into the intermediate region and then over land to the home region.

Yes, just because there is no line going out to sea does not necessarily mean you are not benefiting from the resource. Check your trade menu, and look to see if the goods are coming in on the "import" section of that window. If it still isn't make sure the port is not blockaded and that it is fully repaired.

Yes, just because there is no line going out to sea does not necessarily mean you are not benefiting from the resource. Check your trade menu, and look to see if the goods are coming in on the "import" section of that window. If it still isn't make sure the port is not blockaded and that it is fully repaired.
    i checked my trade menu and it seems no goods are coming in, and i checked my ports and none of them are blockaded and at a very good condition

Well if you do indeed have tradeable resources in that region or in an adjacent region then it seems like this is a bug of some kind. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work otherwise. Are you sure that the port in question is a trade port rather than a dockyard or fishing port?

If it is indeed a trade port I'd suggesting searching the bug threads to see if anyone else has this problem, and if they don't you should post it as a bug. Be sure to indicate what region it is, what faction you are, etc.

Thanks for writing this guide, + rep.

Question though:
    For example: I have 1 fleet of 8 indiamen (and 4 fourth rates to protect them), generates this fleet more income than 2 fleets each consisting of 4 indiamen (and 2 fourt rates to protect them)?

Do you mean would 4 Indiamen on each node make more than 8 Indiamen on one node? Yes.

Do you mean would 4 Indiamen on each node make more than 8 Indiamen on one node? Yes.
    Yes, exactly, thanks for the answer.

can somebody please explain to me how i get my indiaman ship onto a trade theater thingy.

I click my trade ship and then click the gold node trade theater thing which then takes me to another part of the map with round gold anchor icons but then i cant click on anything.

Help please.

I'm sorry, but I'm 100% this is wrong, if its the same commodity they're on, anyway.

I've think I've seen this elsewhere confirmed by devs, and I'm proved this in my own game. You can prove this by attacking an enemy trading fleet on a node with x number of indiamen. Note the amount of wealth its generating. Having beaten them, replace the fleet with your own x number of indiamen. The wealth will be exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by parts View Post
    I'm sorry, but I'm 100% this is wrong, if its the same commodity they're on, anyway.

I've think I've seen this elsewhere confirmed by devs, and I'm proved this in my own game. You can prove this by attacking an enemy trading fleet on a node with x number of indiamen. Note the amount of wealth its generating. Having beaten them, replace the fleet with your own x number of indiamen. The wealth will be exactly the same.
    I'm sorry Parts if it seems like I'm trying to refute everything you say. I'm not, and I really like your comments on the Monopoly thread. But I think there might be confusion here. Your test shows that wealth Z generated by X Indiamen on node Y with Faction J is equal to wealth Z generated by X Indiamen on node Y with Faction H. Before the attack there were four Indiamen on the node and after the attack there were four Indiamen on the node and the wealth remained the same. That makes perfect sense- if you don't change the number of ships on a node, you shouldn't change the wealth that that node produces. However, it doesn't answer the question posed: which nodes should you put your Indiamen on?

A better test would be to take those four Indiamen and put them on one node and see how much of the good it produces. Then, put one Indiamen on each of four different nodes (of the same good), and see how much of the good that produces. If the latter scenario results in more goods produced, then Hardrada992 has it right and you should spread your Indiamen across several nodes rather than putting them all on one.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast