Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Simple Trade Guide

Hardrada992's Avatar Decanus

Default Simple Trade Guide

So there's a new thread asking for help with trade, and rather than write a little post there I'll write a short guide here.

Trade is perhaps the most important aspect of your nations economy- It can easily yield a lot of gold with minimal input on your part.

When you first begin, find out how many "trade" ports you have. If you don't start with one you should change one of your ports to a trade port. To do this click on the port, then on the building icon on the UI. There is a button on the left with a torch, click that to destroy the current building. Next turn you will be able to build one of three different kinds of ports. (Pick trade).

Also in the beginning you should send whatever navies you have to the different trade theaters. If you can only pick one or two go with Madagascar or the Ivory Coast (the African ones), as they seem to be the most lucrative. Place some ships on one of the gold "nodes" to reserve it for your trade ships.

If you have trade ships, send them to these nodes right away, otherwise build them as soon as you can and send them to your reserved spots. Trade ships have a gold coin on their portrait.

These nodes provide stuff like Ivory and Tea. You can see what your bringing in on the trade tab in your government window.

This shows a ship on a trade node. Notice that you can have more than one trade ship on a node, each one will earn you a little more money/bring in more goods.
    You can also get resources from your territories, they show up on the map like in previous TW games. European regions seem a little sparse, so if you don't start with any regions in the New World or India, start looking to do so. When you locate some, build a plantation over it by clicking on it and then selecting the building to build. (Is this simple enough....?)

Once you have a plantation built you will make some money off it in that region, but to add those resources to your tradeable goods you need a trade port in that region, or an adjacent region that is connected by roads (I'm pretty sure).

Now that you have goods to trade, you need people to trade them to. You should have started off with some trade partners, and depending on how many trade ports you have you may be able to add a few more. Try to get deals with the larger nations, as they can buy more of your stuff.

The list of nations you are trading with is under the "trade" tab. This shows you what you are bringing in and from where. On the right side you can see how much you are making off of each nation. If one seems too low, you can always cancel that trade agreement and try to find someone else to trade with.

If the line showing the goods on the trade tab is red on either the incoming or outgoing displays, that means a port is being blockaded and the goods aren't moving.

Also, try to keep the better deals for as long as you can, because you start to earn more money on deals that have lasted for a while. I went from making 1000 to 7000 or so from the Ottomans this way.

This is the Trade menu.
    The top portion shows how much each good is worth per unit. This number can change through out the game.

The Middle portion shows what you are bringing in from your empire.
    Notice that America is bringing quite a lot because I have upgraded its plantations and ports.

The bottom portion shows what you are exporting.
    Notice how much is being made from the Mughals and the Ottomans, both large nations.

Also:watch out for pirates and rival nations! One blocked trade route can cut off a large portion of your tradeable goods.

Ok, there's my simple guide. I hope it helps.
    Last edited by Hardrada992; March 07, 2009 at 01:47 AM.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Simple Trade Guide

A nice guide, moved it to its appropriate forum.

tuore's Avatar Senator

Nice, but some screens could be nice.

I'm on it.

Nice work Hardrada. Top of my head ideas:

-- playing Britain, who really has trade in a big way (starts with 6 possible trade routes I think and more come soon). Along with the money from its Thirteen Colonies protectorate, it really drives the British economy and allows quick expansion in India or whereever, but I'm aware that a big war, where I might lose a lot of my trading partners, would be a disaster. Trade so important for Britain that I'd rather pass up wars and lose alliances than lose trade partners. Related to this are diplomacy issues - how hard is it to get a trade deal (Unfriendly and Hostile countries don't seem to accept them) and how hard if a previous one has been broken?

-- CA have mentioned they are working on fixing a trade zone bug - I'm not sure exactly what it is (or maybe more than one - trade ships stopping providing resources silently, or thinking they are on land & not sea are two I've seen mentioned).

-- Best way to deal with Pirates and guarding trade zone spots in general - I'm not sure what this is yet - Britain having potential bases in America (at game start) and India (soon in a 'standard' British game) will no doubt help. Repairing ships can only happen in ports of course, not, as with armies, 'in the field'.

-- I wonder how trade partners decide what to buy off you (assuming it isn't unlimited - I must check that)?

So much to learn. In point of fact though, and despite me moaning about the crap manual in another thread, I love this time in a game: learning how it works. If the answers were in the manual, I'd lose a lot of the fun.

So, even if there is another nation's ship sitting on my trade route, with their flag doing that little flash back and forth between the nation's flag and the skull and crossbones, they aren't actually decreasing my income?

That's a relief. As Prussia I rely a lot on sea trade in the Baltic for money, but have no navy to speak of. Luckily most of my enemies are in the same boat.

No, unless you are at war with them. They will only attack enemy ships. But again, one enemy ship on say a route from America to Europe can deprive you of all the resources coming from there.

Watercress's Avatar Praeses
    Her Majesty's Extraterrestrial Possessions

thanks. this will defeiantly convince me to drive everyone else off the sea

Bacon!'s Avatar Decanus

I really didnt understand trade so this is a huge help to me, +rep
    Soylent Green is people!!!

Definitely a big thank you from me. I am doing a Sweden campaign and I kind of ignored all of the trade routes, but now that I am 50 turns in and am barely making 5k over the cost of my armies I definitely think i need to join in on this lucrative business.

Thanks again for the tips! Big relief to know that brittain isnt stealing tons of my trade income by sitting on my trade lane.

Default Trouble making trade agreements...

Hi, any tips on making trade agreements? I have open slots, but no one else with open slots wants a trade agreement.

This is true even with friendly nations.

And I have plenty of exotic good to sell.

How do I get trade agreements with some of the minor nations? Most of them im unable to trade with. Why is this and what can I do?

when i started i thought "lets get all of those before anyone else gets them muhuhehe" but i doesent seem to get any trade routes from my ships. is this pherhaps becase i have run out of port slots? or is it something else?

Quote Originally Posted by ebaek View Post
    Hi, any tips on making trade agreements? I have open slots, but no one else with open slots wants a trade agreement.

This is true even with friendly nations.

And I have plenty of exotic good to sell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammin420 View Post
    How do I get trade agreements with some of the minor nations? Most of them im unable to trade with. Why is this and what can I do?
    Yes, it is often quite difficult to get other nations to sign trade agreements. I believe this is a problem with the generally stingy and stubborn AI that has been around since at least MTW2. The AI seems to be totally resistant to any diplomatic agreement that benefits you. Try to offer money and/or technology along with the trade agreement. Don't bother with any nation that is hostile with you, they simply won't do it.

Also, you can tell on the diplomacy screen if a certain nation is able to trade with you. If they have a greyed out ship icon to the (far) right of their name, that means they have an open trade lane that could possibly be used to trade with you. If they have a ship icon with an X on it, that means that all of their trade lanes are filled, and that you can't trade with them.

Quote Originally Posted by psykopatsak View Post
    when i started i thought "lets get all of those before anyone else gets them muhuhehe" but i doesent seem to get any trade routes from my ships. is this pherhaps becase i have run out of port slots? or is it something else?
    Yes, I believe the amount of trade "nodes" you can benefit from is limited by the amount of trade lanes you have, which is determined by the amount of trade ports you have. There is apparently also a bug which screws something up with the trade nodes, so I'm not exactly sure. Try moving your fleet off the node and then back on, you'll know if it's working when a dashed line comes off the node and into the trade routes.

I can't wait to play against a Brit player in multiplayer and hear the crying when the trade lanes to the UK are severed. If you're playing as Britain you live or die by those two little dotted lines, one going past the port of Brest, so that's easily had by the French, and one goes up north of Scotland. Cut those, Britain bleeds gold.

Where do i find the trade nodes ?

Sail a ship to one of the outlined boxes on the edge of the map. When you right click on the box a screen will pop up asking you where you want your ship to go. The trade theaters show up on that map as bronze circles. There is one in Brazil, The Ivory Coast (Africa), Madagascar, and the Indies.
    Once your ship is there look for a vacant node, they are shown on the campaign map as gold circles with anchors in them.
    Last edited by Hardrada992; April 08, 2009 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeboim View Post
    So, even if there is another nation's ship sitting on my trade route, with their flag doing that little flash back and forth between the nation's flag and the skull and crossbones, they aren't actually decreasing my income?

That's a relief. As Prussia I rely a lot on sea trade in the Baltic for money, but have no navy to speak of. Luckily most of my enemies are in the same boat.
    I just wanted to point out that another faction (even if not an enemy) can indirectly raid your supplies. Or so it would seem.

In my Brit campaign I'm losing a good 10k-15k every turn because the factions at war with my trade partners are raiding THEIR supply lines but these supply lines happen to be trade going to me. So in cutting off my trade partners lines, not only do they lose their trade from myself/other nations, but it would seem that the trade that should be coming over to me is not.

This is the case with my trade from Prussia, Austria, Russia AND the Ottoman Empire at the moment. Combined raiding from Sweden, France, Spain and other enemies of these trade partners of mine are denying me goods, even if I'm at peace with the raiding factions. Only way to deal with it is to go to war with these factions, but the AI insists on having 5-10 small fleets on each supply line continuously.
    92% of people rip off this statistic signature. If you are one of the 8% who doesn't, put this in your signature.

MPMFV's Avatar Foederatus

Great bit of info here, thanks.

But I'm still confused about trade ports. I have 3 of them, but only one shows trade lanes. My other ports have multiple resources and roads in their region also.

For example, Albany New York port is trading, but Boston, the region adjacent, and Florida aren't doing a thing.

I understand how to get nations to trade with me, but most are unable to trade even after I've established a friendly relationship with them.

I get this note when I place my cursor over the "x" out trade icon;

CANNOT TRADE
    THE PORTS IN YOUR HOME REGION
    ARE AT FULL CAPACITY
    A SEA ROUTE FROM YOUR CAPITAL
    CANNOT BE ESTABLISHED

I am going to copy this from Gamefaqs, credit to TC because I am experience this EXACT Same issue

Hey guys,
    I'm playing as Sweden and I've attempted to gain access to some valuable trade goods by sending some fleets to the Ivory Coast and South American trade theatres. Both fleets have three brigs for protection and three merchantment, and both are sitting in a trade post with the flashing coin flag. However, neither are exporting goods back home. When I played as the Netherlands, it worked fine... I'm not sure if I'm missing anything here that is different about Sweden. Is my home province too far from these trade theatres, am I not doing something correctly?
    Appreciate any help.
    I have trade ports and I have been making 3K off my trade but looking to expand beyond my holding in Antigua

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast