Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Simple Trade Guide

Default Re: Simple Trade Guide

If 1 Indiamen on a ivory node generates 10 tusks then:

4 Indiamen on a single ivory node generates: 40
    2 Indiamen on a single ivory node generates: 20
    2 Indiamen each on two ivory nodes generate: 20+20=40

I've tested this and the supply-units-per-trade-ship is a constant figure. The distribution only matters if you want to deny other trade points from other nations.

my main problem is foregin nations blockading ports im trading to or unwilling to trade with me, how can i remove them from allies ports which they have occupied? also is there a quick way to find out which part of your trade route is being blockaded? if you share a trade route with an enemy of your ally and that ally attacks that trade route does it affect your trade also?

Reviving an old thread but im still a bit confused about trade and would like some questions answered:

For simplicity lets assume im playing the British and I own all of north america.

Lets say I have a trade port in america and one in england. I build an indiaman in each port.

I sail the indiamen to a trade node (to keep it simple lets say each ship on its own node, both in the same trade theatre).

Now, the trading lanes created by those ships... do both ship's trade lanes go directly to my home region (england) or the the lanes head back to the port the ship originates from?

Does all trade flow only TO England (aka all trade nodes flow to england, none to americas).

How do the trading ports work when it comes to trade?

I keep reading that the trade ports open trade slots for you to set trade agreements with other nations...well if i have more trade slots than there are other nations then the extra ports get wasted right? If this is so, then the best thing to do would be to build a few, well located trade ports to maximize the flow of goods.

Aka, just 1 trade port in england (goods from ireland and scotland are sent overland to england right?), 1 in boston, 1 in georgia, one in texas,1 in moose factory, 1 in each caribbean island (or else their trade goods are wasted since the goods arent ferried overland to the adjacent region port). That alone should cap out the trade slots and allow me to have a well controlled flow of goods.

Quote Originally Posted by Ginaz View Post
    Reviving an old thread but im still a bit confused about trade and would like some questions answered:

For simplicity lets assume im playing the British and I own all of north america.

Lets say I have a trade port in america and one in england. I build an indiaman in each port.

I sail the indiamen to a trade node (to keep it simple lets say each ship on its own node, both in the same trade theatre).

Now, the trading lanes created by those ships... do both ship's trade lanes go directly to my home region (england) or the the lanes head back to the port the ship originates from?

Does all trade flow only TO England (aka all trade nodes flow to england, none to americas).

How do the trading ports work when it comes to trade?

I keep reading that the trade ports open trade slots for you to set trade agreements with other nations...well if i have more trade slots than there are other nations then the extra ports get wasted right? If this is so, then the best thing to do would be to build a few, well located trade ports to maximize the flow of goods.

Aka, just 1 trade port in england (goods from ireland and scotland are sent overland to england right?), 1 in boston, 1 in georgia, one in texas,1 in moose factory, 1 in each caribbean island (or else their trade goods are wasted since the goods arent ferried overland to the adjacent region port). That alone should cap out the trade slots and allow me to have a well controlled flow of goods.
    Ill try to answer this as best I can.
    1- All goods go back to your capital, and they are then distributed to your trading partners, so the port you build the indiamen in doesn't matter.

2- Same thing, all of your good go to your home region, and then, after reaching your capital, are distributed to your trading partners based on their total region wealth.

3- I think that you should build as many trade ports as possible anyway, with only 1-2 shipyards and no fishing ports, because they are by far the best. Also, you should trade with every single nation possible, as when you trade with nations you gain a certain amount of 'other goods' which, although a small amount, is generated from nothing, and it is just extra income. Trading with many people also help you if you one of your trading partners is blockaded, as you won't loose as much income and you won't need to stop that trade agreement, destroying the benefits of a longstanding one. If you don't use a slot on the trading port, then I suppose it is 'wasted', but you should still build as many as possible of them because there is nothing better to put there.

Quote Originally Posted by Talosh View Post
    3- I think that you should build as many trade ports as possible anyway, with only 1-2 shipyards and no fishing ports, because they are by far the best. Also, you should trade with every single nation possible, as when you trade with nations you gain a certain amount of 'other goods' which, although a small amount, is generated from nothing, and it is just extra income. Trading with many people also help you if you one of your trading partners is blockaded, as you won't loose as much income and you won't need to stop that trade agreement, destroying the benefits of a longstanding one. If you don't use a slot on the trading port, then I suppose it is 'wasted', but you should still build as many as possible of them because there is nothing better to put there.
    This counts for your home area and all lands directly connected (Like scotland and Ireland).
    In an oversees area, you only need 1 trade port if you have tradeable goods to bring to london from there. These do not count for your max trade partners.

When you upgrade tradeports in England, you get an extra possible tradepartner.
    Tradeports elsewhere do not need to be upgraded, unless it says in your region page some goods are not exported. This only happens in an places like Cuba and Ruperts, with multiple trade goods.

Sometimes you explicitly want fishing ports, as they help your region grow. I think especially of the ones already in place in Sweden and Norway. Sweden has so many tradeports after just a couple years in game (Umea already pops up in turn 3(4?)), its a waste to take the fishing ports down (altho not everyone will agree with me on this).

Laetus

Something I didn't see in the guide or any of the posts (though I might have read past it) is the idea that you can play TRADE in TW Empire as suits your taste through a combination of means. Depending on who your are playing, correct implementation of any of these can work.
    -- Export/Import of generic trade goods from between your ports and those of your trading partners. Keys: Diplomacy and lots of ports, developed as well as possible. Defend your ports with land troops. Defend your trade routes with fleets (you can't prevent raids, but you can sink anyone who pesters you).
    -- Export/Import of special goods produced in your plantations and industrial facilities. Keys: Same as above, but you are emphasizing developing your internal resources. Following this strategy can emphasize keeping an eye on commodity prices. You want to have a diverse income stream if possible, but also monopolize specific markets. This strategy may also dictate your conquests in order to acquire resource-rich territory.
    -- Land trade using either of the above approaches. Less lucrative, but also less expensive. Only option if you are landlocked. More likely, if you have few ports, this has to be a component of your strategy.
    -- Raiding trade routes. During wartime you station a fleet on top of a trade route that includes your enemies. You get a chunk of their money. This is Empire's version of "privateering." It's not a great stand-alone strategy, but during war time it can be effective in hurting your opponents while bringing in some money.
    -- Exotic ports of call. This is the trade ship policy discussed so much on this thread. It can make you a lot of money. But it also involves an investment in trade ships and fleets. Depending on your situation, it can be a great strategy. Or it can be a waste of time and resources if your timing isn't right for this.

I can't imagine playing the game without some trade partners on land and probably some on the seas before you are done. But the rest of it is all optional and I think most campaigns are winnable without devoting too much attention to them. If you love economic strategy, then go for it.

Thanks for the guide, +Rep for you.

Some more info that might be usefull:

- No need to use just Indiaman ships to generate income on trade nodes. I noticed that when I saw the pirates with 4 "Fluyts" on a node generating income. So if you capture some you can use them as trade ships;

- Don't forget to raid enemy trading lines with your ships, I'm currently generating 7000+ from one raid alone! On the other hand watch out for your own trade lines or your economy will suffer.
    Last edited by Lachdanan; October 28, 2010 at 04:53 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345