Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Workaround Retail Installation

Default Re: Workaround Retail Installation

what does workaround the retail installation mean? does it mean install the game from the disk like it should?? please answer quick.

I think I have the same problem as westop14, except my screen goes white.

After I have installed off the disc, it downloads an update off steam automatically. Then when I try to start the game the screen goes white and crashes. I think it may be something to do with the update, how do I stop it?

How can you tell how much you've downloaded?

And my download just went from 10% to 0%.

Oh good lord...

Is there any way to skip this patch and just play the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Democratiya View Post
    Is there any way to skip this patch and just play the game?

Please God that would solve all my problems..

Even better if someone could up with a .exe file from megaupload or somewhere with a 100mb patch. I thought buying the retail version would mean I could skip these issues...

Hunter Makoy's Avatar We got 2 words for ya..

disable auto updates for the game, and it wont download it.

I'm still waiting to just get to the installation area. It took me forever and a day just for it to read through the goddamn C++ redistributable and now its barely crawling along to just PREPARE the files for installation.
    Under the patronage of Lord Condormanius (12.29.08)
    "Yes, I know why the leaf is turning yellow. Its a lack of chloroform."

I will try that and report back...

argh didnt work :|

sharky4u's Avatar Civis

Icon14 Re: Workaround Retail Installation

Quote Originally Posted by Strategos Brutus View Post
    A lot of people got the problem that steam wont install the huge game with the 2dvds. Steam tries to download the game anyway.

Workaround:

1. Go to your Steam
    2. Go to you Games and rightclick on Empire Total War
    3. Delete local game date

4. Go to your Steam-Folder
    5. Look for the "ClientRegistry.Blob" and delete it

6. Try to reinstall your game

7. The little "prepatch" is about 80-100mb so it shouldnt take to long

It works fine me, i got the same problem. Moreover it works for other people too, so give it a try.
    Thanks to you I am actually playing....Nice one! +rep
    There are two kinds of officers, sir: killin' officers and murderin' officers. Killin' officers are poor old buggers that get you killed by mistake.

Murderin' officers are mad, bad, old buggers that get you killed on purpose - for a country, for a religion, maybe even for a flag!

Strategos Brutus - you sir, are a life saver!
    +Rep!
    General Valantine of Bossumton
    Lord Lieutenant of the Cinque Ports
    Vestigia Nulla Retrorsum

Ok just a silly thing I noticed. If you have the retail boxed version of Special Forces, make sure you use the cd-key located on the back of your manual! Not the SF units key or any exclusive download unit keys you have! I spent about 20 mins putting in the wrong keys. If you put in the correct key (again located on the back of your manual) then you should be able to install the game from the disks through Steam.

Hope this helps!

This method was partialy successful with me, it just won't download the update. Got it to 3% once then went back down to 0.

i have been having these issues for like a whole day now. my install stops at 100% on loading cache files (and stayed like that for at least two hours so far) i want to follow these instructions but with point number four i dont have a choice to delete Local Data on that tab. everythign in that window is completely greyed out.

i have uninstalled steam various times etc and tried a different combo of things like install straight from autoplay on disk to right clicking install in steam. but nothing at all

what is the sequence of things that happens next?
    does it go from Cache step to, normal install scene, then option to patch after?

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blake01 View Post
    i have been having these issues for like a whole day now. my install stops at 100% on loading cache files (and stayed like that for at least two hours so far) i want to follow these instructions but with point number four i dont have a choice to delete Local Data on that tab. everythign in that window is completely greyed out.

i have uninstalled steam various times etc and tried a different combo of things like install straight from autoplay on disk to right clicking install in steam. but nothing at all

does it go from Cache step to, normal install scene, then option to patch after?

I'm having the same problem as you, the install won't go past the "creating local game cache files"

delete the ClientRegistry.blob in your Steam folder and try again. Also try changing servers when updating.

Quote Originally Posted by Democratiya View Post
    This method was partialy successful with me, it just won't download the update. Got it to 3% once then went back down to 0.

@ all: if the update loads very slow, just change your download region, it might help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spiderman101 View Post
    I'm having the same problem as you, the install won't go past the "creating local game cache files"
    do occur the message "you steam ticket is expired"

normal install, with bars and stuff like that

Default Re: STICKY THIS PLS Workaround Retail Installation

Quote Originally Posted by Strategos Brutus View Post
    little update. you have download it.
    Is there anyway you can go without the prepatch? My internet quota is down to 1GB and it wont renew till the 14th. My flatmates will KILL me if I finish that off...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast