Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The World Map Community Project

Ketzerfreund's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: The World Map Community Project

I'm afraid we're at a stall here for now. We know there's a mesh outlining the landmasses, with gaps for coastline and river meshes, and as long as we can't convert and therefore manipulate those meshes, we can't do anything further. Also, there is one piece of info missing here that one of the members does know but doesn't want to share (...while being quite ready to suck up everything posted here ): how to get rid of the campaign map camera restrictions. If anyone else here knows, please tell us how to free the cam, it's a piece of info that definitely will be needed!
    "Oh, to be truly happy! To be an imbecile." - Wobbly Headed Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Ketzerfreund View Post
    I'm afraid we're at a stall here for now. We know there's a mesh outlining the landmasses, with gaps for coastline and river meshes, and as long as we can't convert and therefore manipulate those meshes, we can't do anything further. Also, there is one piece of info missing here that one of the members does know but doesn't want to share (...while being quite ready to suck up everything posted here ): how to get rid of the campaign map camera restrictions. If anyone else here knows, please tell us how to free the cam, it's a piece of info that definitely will be needed!
    We all benefit by sharing information--trying to keep info away from others betrays weakness and immaturity. It's even more pitiful if the knowledge has already been made public elsewhere.

Anyway, I hope this is what you're looking for. It was posted a week ago:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    1) How to "delete" the camera borders of the campaignmap.

Go into the "region.esf" to "global_map\regions.esf\root\theatres\theatres\theatre" (one of the theatres). Value 1= America, Value 2=Europe, Value 3=India, the last 4 are the trading-areas.
    The campaignmap goes from the coordinate -1280;-640 to 1280;640. So you can edit the coordinates of a theatre, for example europe with ID 2 and the coordinates -180;140 and 440;520, to -1280;-640 and 1280;640.
    VERY IMPORTANT: The coordinate in the second row is the point in the bottom-left vertex and the coordinate in the third row is the top-right vertex. You have to observe this.
    Save the region.esf and start your game. Now you can scroll vom Europe to America and so on. This would be a important feature if we can edit the campaignmap total.
    Also you can create a new Theatre, but this isn't so necessary for you yet.

Seperate question: there's a boolean for regions in regions.esf that is set to "false" for all the ones that are outside the camera bounds. Do you know what, if anything, happens when that's set to "True"?
    Last edited by erasmus777; May 17, 2009 at 04:38 PM.

Ketzerfreund's Avatar Domesticus

Thanks a lot for digging this out for us!
    As to the boolean: No, I don't know - yet.
    Is it only set to false for the ones outside the camera bounds or for all regions that are inaccessible? I mean, there must be some part in that file that also tells the game where to cover areas with the terra incognita parchment texture, for example.
    "Oh, to be truly happy! To be an imbecile." - Wobbly Headed Bob

Did you guys test the boolean yet?

demis14's Avatar Miles

take a look at this tutorial guys http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=260304, and you will realise that its possible to edit quite a lot of the map, without a model converter...

ok so we need some software to edit the map mesh file in order to extend the map?

Quote Originally Posted by krycek View Post
    ok so we need some software to edit the map mesh file in order to extend the map?
    That and it would need to update various esf files with trade routes, shorelines, obtacles, new towns, etc. It's a lot of work.

will you make new reigns in arabie like najed kuwait alehsaa alhejaz oman yaman

Jynx's Avatar Decanus

They should have kept the old game engine, this is harder to mod and, as far as I have experienced, has more crashes.
    80 years is simply not enough to enjoy all of the fun in the world, and out of it...

Indeed. This new system is complete . I remember when I was doing maps for Rome and M2 that hardly took an hour and I had a whole new world created. Now we might as well be staring into an abyss.
    /* Under the Patronage of the Honorable Garbarsardar */
    Graphic Designer, Husband, & Dad

As already said a few times this is to extend the map to the wole world, so actualy we only need the map and coast lines. (not forgetting snow, threes hills etc)

I've been looking through the files but it isn't easy

I'm worried Im gonna get a migraine trying to stop bugs appearing but I will give it a go at making a world map !

Jynx's Avatar Decanus

How has it gone so far?
    80 years is simply not enough to enjoy all of the fun in the world, and out of it...

My guess is DOA.....

Was bored and did some looking around. Looks like Empire still uses the RGB... now to beable to change the RGB in the campign map... that's another story!

Attachment 53512

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

What a bout creating non-earth maps? I mean FF...

Robertclive's Avatar Primicerius

hows the progress

Jynx's Avatar Decanus

I asked that a week ago, apparently very little...

Everyone already knows that campaign_detail_mask.dds (note that it's .dds) is the water depth (color on campaign map)? Green=shallow

And campaign_snow_mask_winter is the area that gets a thick blanket of snow.

campaign_snow_mask_summer is blank of course.
    Last edited by A1_Unit; September 02, 2009 at 02:51 PM.

Jynx's Avatar Decanus

if it becomes world map, summer could be for southern hemisphere