Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Official TWC Bugs, Issues & Errata List for RTW

Silver Shield legionaries can be built prior to the marius event
    Actually Silver shield legionaries were recruited hsitorically before the marius reform. However, the game represents them badly, as they were copies of Roman pre-marius legionaries and not after marius, so the Locira segmenta they have and shield is wrong.

Borsook's Avatar Artifex

Originally posted by Time Commander Bob@Apr 24 2005, 08:28 AM
    Actually Silver shield legionaries were recruited hsitorically before the marius reform. However, the game represents them badly, as they were copies of Roman pre-marius legionaries and not after marius, so the Locira segmenta they have and shield is wrong.
    Yes we consider it an inconsintency within the game, where they're a copy of late legionaries. We do not take historical accuracy into account while making this list, otherwise it'll have to be 100 pages long :sad
    Under Patronage of Necrobrit

Grouped formations:

About 12 times in Vannilla 1.0 and 3 or 4 times 1.2 patch

After selecting and ordering a group to move, other independant/ungrouped units acted as though they were part of the group and moved as well. Resiprocally, with one unit selected, a group moves. It may be that units formerly part of a group, after being reassigned to another group or removed from a previous group, do not register the ungroup command and still act as part of the whole, even though the status bar showes otherwise.

On 1 or 2 rare ocassions with a single unit selected, another ungrouped unit would begin moving without either unit ever being in the same group togather. This may just be an anomaly.

If this was mentioned before I missed it.

This is an account of problems experienced while I was still using RTW 1.0 - 1.2 unmodded.

No screens. This problem is impossible to prove with a still screenshot. The unit or group would show as being selected and moving, but another unit would move unordered. The screen would look perfectly normal.
    Forumites Multiplayer Campaign
    Empire building, role playing, online battles, real diplomacy. New campaign starts soon, join today!
    Campaign Introduction: http://z10.invisionfree.com/FORUMITE...showtopic=1459

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

i think this occurs if you create a group after you end deployment...QUITE annoying when more than your selected units follow your commands.

Borsook's Avatar Artifex

UPDATE:
    ADDED:
    ?If a faction uses a mercenary unit that uses the same descr_model_battle.txt entry as one of this faction units the game will use sprites of that faction's specific unit not the mercenary. This can be fixed by duplicating entries in descr_model_battle.txt and descr_mount.txt creating mercenary only ones.
    ^If you're at a loss how to fix that and need an example have a look at my Enhancement Pack (look at the signature)
    REMOVED:
    � Silver Shield Legionaries can be trained prior to Marius event.
    � Praetorian Cohorts are available prior to Marius reforms.
    Too arguable, in 1.2 CA made Marius reforms happen later than in 1.1 if you have Praetorians as after reforms only the player when reforms occur will be already able to recruit Urban Cohort rendering Praetorians useless. And since Praetorians are before reforms, testudo formation appears as well and Seleucid can copy it (using game-world logic)

player1's Avatar Bug Hunter

Well the thing is that pre-marian reforms completly screw up balance of pre-marius armies.
    You get one uber unit compared to other you can recruit, and you don't need barracks, just huge city.

On the other hand, if they were just post-marius, they would still be veru useful for big cities without developed barracks.

And before 1.2 you couldn't really have pretorians before reforms, since they were tied to getting you first imperial palace.
    BUG-FIXER, an unofficial patch for both Rome: Total War and its expansion pack
    Romano British provincial campaign

Borsook's Avatar Artifex

Originally posted by player1@Apr 27 2005, 01:08 PM
    Well the thing is that pre-marian reforms completly screw up balance of pre-marius armies.
    You get one uber unit compared to other you can recruit, and you don't need barracks, just huge city.

On the other hand, if they were just post-marius, they would still be veru useful for big cities without developed barracks.

And before 1.2 you couldn't really have pretorians before reforms, since they were tied to getting you first imperial palace.
    As I said it has been left out because it is arguable. Personally I never liked the idea of them being pre-marian, nevertheless for many people it looks like a concious design deceision, I'd like to keep this list as clear as possible (that's my role here), this list generally does not touch balance/historical accuracy issues and thus these points are left out.

Well IMHO, to me it looks more like post-1.2 weirdness...
    (for reasons mentioned above)

Even in units file it is sorted together with other post-marius units (not that's any proof).

Still, I undertand it to be more of an issue, instaed of a bug.

the phalanx is ment to be bad on terrain! thats how to romans beat it, because of the phalanx's unflexibility. otherwise the phalanx would be pretty unstoppable (not saying that it cant be killed but . . .)

Well, i hope CA at least read this bug list and correct it in the future patch......

Anyway, there are a few ones that PorT Clan detected:

Citys with Stone Walls are almost impossible to lose
    - AI buit few siege engines
    - AI don&#39;t use sappers :><
    - When attacking a besieged army try to lift siege, AI army approach the walls (without siege engines) and is killed by Tower fire.

Other Bugs
    - When defending in battle map AI always advance in situations where it should stand still.
    - Moral has to much influence: AI retreat to early in battle and lose battles without kill a single soldier, even with same size armys that the human player :angry.
    - Cavalry is to strong in RTW.
    - Now AI never have great fleets (a very bad way to resolve the prepatch bug).
    - Almirants cannot join in the same fleet like generals do in land.
    - Roman Factions still see other Roman Factions after civil war starts.
    - In Huge Army option, soldiers have problems finding paths inside citys and Barbarian Towns don&#39;t develop well because lack of population (they do a lot of warbands and deplete all population and never develop to citys).

Help, does anyone here ever experienced the same problem i had lately, while playing rome total war, when i tried to merge some of my men, and to place my men to one of my city the rome total war game automatically exit to windows? feedback will be highly appreciated, thanks.

Zuwxiv's Avatar Bear Claus

Was that on the campaign map or in the battle?

And have you updated the game?

Welcome to the forums&#33;

Currently worshipping Necrobrit *********** Thought is Quick
    I'm back for the TWCrack

Borsook's Avatar Artifex

Originally posted by PorT_Lobo@Apr 28 2005, 08:13 PM
    Well, i hope CA at least read this bug list and correct it in the future patch......

Anyway, there are a few ones that PorT Clan detected:

Citys with Stone Walls are almost impossible to lose
    - AI buit few siege engines
    - AI don&#39;t use sappers :><
    - When attacking a besieged army try to lift siege, AI army approach the walls (without siege engines) and is killed by Tower fire.

Other Bugs
    - When defending in battle map AI always advance in situations where it should stand still.
    - Moral has to much influence: AI retreat to early in battle and lose battles without kill a single soldier, even with same size armys that the human player :angry.
    - Cavalry is to strong in RTW.
    - Now AI never have great fleets (a very bad way to resolve the prepatch bug).
    - Almirants cannot join in the same fleet like generals do in land.
    - Roman Factions still see other Roman Factions after civil war starts.
    - In Huge Army option, soldiers have problems finding paths inside citys and Barbarian Towns don&#39;t develop well because lack of population (they do a lot of warbands and deplete all population and never develop to citys).
    Most of these are balance issues actually, btw expect an update soon.

Borsook's Avatar Artifex

In an attempt to keep everyone happy I&#39;ve added:
    ? Praetorians are available before Marian Reforms - while this may be concious design deceison many players consider this to break balance of pre-marian armies.

the biggest problem is the ai, it&#39;s diplomacy is totally wrecked up, i don&#39;t even do diplomacy any more, because i&#39;m always at war with everybody. the battlemap ai is unstable/weak/stupid (unable to keep a simple phalanx line), all the battles are mostly the same, the ai has no strategy, it doesn&#39;t flank effectively (doesn&#39;t use cavalry well, prefers charging it directly into a phalanx line) and usually forms one long line formation that breaks up eventually with two units attacking alone and the rest folowing one by one instead of a more solid or sensible attack strategy.
    the ai also doesn&#39;t build proper armies, and has no building priorities exept for unit costs, once i faced a half stack army all made up of skirmishers (numidia) and directly after that a full stack desert infantry, it could have at least mixed these units. it should form a mixed army with some kind of builing priorities that trains what it needs or lacks.
    the ai should treat the player like any other faction, and not attacking as soon as it can, and the "attack faction" request is almost imposible to do, even if it&#39;s a ally and you actually have to offer money for this, and sometimes the alliance is broken because of these types of requests, wars should also be reduced alot and should at least begin with a attack with some importance instead of getting blockaded. I think the wars issue is actually worse since the last patch.

these are not bugs but more like stupid problems, but more a gameplay problem than any other bugs

this happens without any mods installed, and 1.2 patch installed

I would raise some issues about console commands.
    Many of such commands are not accessable from the game, but only true scripting.

Why I have no idea.

Also, it would be nice if there was some support to restarting scripts after reload.
    Or saving variables in the scripts after reload.

There is a very interesting script language in RTW code, and it&#39;s bad to have it wasted just on Prologue.

Borsook's Avatar Artifex

Originally posted by player1@May 5 2005, 01:30 AM
    I would raise some issues about console commands.
    Many of such commands are not accessable from the game, but only true scripting.

Why I have no idea.

Also, it would be nice if there was some support to restarting scripts after reload.
    Or saving variables in the scripts after reload.

There is a very interesting script language in RTW code, and it&#39;s bad to have it wasted just on Prologue.
    You should probably post it in the questions to CA thread. BTW - As for console commands many that were usuable from the game are not so after 1.2.

I find it rather annoying in RTW that the maximum height that the camera can move to is set to a lower ceiling than the height of many of the buildings. Not only does it make it impossible to see the tops of some of the pretty buildings, it restricts your field of view when dealing with the epic walls.
    The only way I can find to get the camera up high enough to deal with epic walls is to move the camera over a huge building, which is ridiculously inefficient.
    Unless I&#39;m doing something wrong with the camera controls (setting to other camera styles doesn&#39;t seem to work), there doesn&#39;t seem to be a way to work around this. Has anyone found some method, perhaps a mod, to fix it? If I could mod up the camera ceiling by a good bit, it would make city battles much happier for me.

Carousel's Avatar Need help? Ask me! Hit PM

No sorry, but you reminded me of a bug that happens. Say you&#39;re on a battlefield, and theres a ruined temple on the battle field. When you move the camera over the ruined temple the camera goes wierd and gives you a REALLY high point of view. Anyone else experience this?
    Extremely grateful and indebted to my friend and patron: Spartan
    Patron of Ardeur

Originally posted by qvcatullus@May 5 2005, 07:18 PM
    I find it rather annoying in RTW that the maximum height that the camera can move to is set to a lower ceiling than the height of many of the buildings. Not only does it make it impossible to see the tops of some of the pretty buildings, it restricts your field of view when dealing with the epic walls.
    The only way I can find to get the camera up high enough to deal with epic walls is to move the camera over a huge building, which is ridiculously inefficient.
    Unless I&#39;m doing something wrong with the camera controls (setting to other camera styles doesn&#39;t seem to work), there doesn&#39;t seem to be a way to work around this. Has anyone found some method, perhaps a mod, to fix it? If I could mod up the camera ceiling by a good bit, it would make city battles much happier for me.
    What&#39;s even worse are forest battles.

Don&#39;t tell me about relism, since all battales are controlled from "helicoter view anyway".