Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Ivlia, Consulate of Scipio/Postumus

Galerius Priscus's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Curia Ivlia, Consulate of Scipio/Postumus

Did you bring in to a thorough motion here, in the Senate, for they are surely some under the Senators who would oppose...

No, you and your friends cowardly brought it into a vote and voted through and closed it, before others could do anything to defend themselves.

Also, you treated us, not in a separate trial, but all together at once.

There is nothing illegal about putting up one motion to recall all of you, you will not all be tried as one if it comes to a court of law. Nor were any of the other rules breached - there was plenty of time for more senators to object or vote 'no' - indeed, none have come forward to protest since the vote was closed.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

We have already established nothing was illegal. Gallus, save us all from your drivel. You cannot resign as you have already been stripped of rank, but your sentiment is honorable.

I do not believe Celsus is a wise choice. He is not as impartial as Sidonius, indeed, I think we have on trial some of his friends. Not that I am in any way accusing him. Just as I would not preside over a trial against Crassus, whom I count as a friend.

Senator, no longer Praetor, Marcus Manlius walked in

Senators!
    I find it pity that this bill has passed and I fear great problems for the Republic and the Senate... Four Senators altogether stripped from their rank, by coincidence or not by coincidence they had offices of great importance, which now leaves only a few men with high offices...

I will probably spent more time in the Basilica than in this Curia the coming days I expect, but justice must be followed.

Falco, you speak as a man of honour!
    I do not fear the trail, because I know I, and my friends, are innocent in every way, and we are just the victim of some Senators who want their plans to be done.
    I find it a pity that for that, half the men occupying important offices had to be removed under the false saying that we have conspiracies.
    It saddens me to see Rome and the Senate suffer from such a filthy move, but will laugh and rejoice in the Basilica when we prove that we are innocent!

I hope Rome, the Republic, will not suffer from this merely filthy political move!
    I wish Rome the best, and also the good hearted Senators here, who will help Rome in these days!

OOC: Hesus, don't ask to be killed quickly, I want loooong debating and proof, we are innocent goddamnit!! (kill yourself if you don't have patience ^^)
    OOC2: what happened to the Praetor vote? it was 6 to 4, Celsus winning, and all of a sudden crassus wins with 8 :S
    could the votes be made public plz? just to know for sure
    cause if Celsus indeed won (and you bastards cheated ) , it would be most logical that he would trail us, since he's the (only) praetor then
    But if you guys make votes public and crassus indeed won fair (no way! ) I think indeed snowball would be the best person since crassus is involved and all.
    And one more thing (maaaan I've been wanting to say this for so long!! )

Scipio, I'll see you in court!
    One land, One king

Proud member of the SPQR TW community

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

A new man enters the Curia and takes place in the chair of Quintus.

Afther the debade he raises and addresses the senators.

Senators my name is Sextius Volero Postumus, i am the twin brother of Quintus. I am here to inform you Quintus has decided to go in to exile because of these falls accusation. He went to Carthage and left me all his belongings and funds here in Rome.
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; March 02, 2009 at 01:05 PM.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

ooc i changed it to Carthage to late he is already half cross the ocean.

IC

He told me of his innocence and i believe him, how ever senator scipio is n' t it? It looks like you have been busy in putting magistrates out of office. Where n' t you present at the meeting to cast off Lepidus of is tribune office?
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; March 02, 2009 at 01:18 PM.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

ooc: ugh, fine, Carthage then. I'm going to edit some things. Maybe if he left some sort of letter behind, some sort of incriminating letter?

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

OoC: A lot of well known Senators were able to flee Rome and escape prosecution. Look at Cicero. Also, Roman citizens were not allowed to be tried in absentia, a fact made clear by Cicero again, who extended the privelege to allied citizens, citizens of towns and cities taken in by Rome, but not actual citizens of Rome.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

So the little rat has fled to Carthage. Is this not incriminating enough? This further adds to the evidence already stacked against the accused! The difference is at least the other three have the honor to face trial!

I call for a motion that will identify Volero as an enemy of the state! He has defected to our enemy and is guilty of not only fraud, but high treason! It should be the duty of every Roman to do him harm if they can! I also recommend that the senate confiscates his belongings and funds, so that he may not have access to them.

OoC: I have a better idea

IC:

I propose the following edict.

For running from trial Quintus Volere Postumus shall hereby be considered an outlaw, and unwelcome in all lands controlled by the Senate and People of Rome.

He is hereby exiled under penalty of death and it shall be the right and duty of all citizens to do him harm and kill him if possible.

Even if i know not whether he is guilty or not, we simply can not tolerate this! There can be NO excuse from running from the law! It is without honor and it should not be tolerated.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I support this motion. It saddens me to see an ex consul behaving like a weasel. Surely this man would not have been elected without the help of his sleazy companions!

occ if you had focused on the trail he might had stayed but realy this more looks like is going to last the entire year. I have to sit here for the next weeks until this had moved on. It even takes us a week to decide if we would vote on recruiting a fleet or not lol. I am just bored very fast.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Please senators, let us not speculate into that matter. There will be a trial, where the truth will come forth, when the trial has been concluded we shall see what is what. The only reason i suggest such hars measures against Quintus is that, as has been said. He defected to our enemy, and enemy who just invaded our lands no less! And just to escape the law. He has brought dishonor and shame, not only upon his family, but This senate, the people of Rome and all her allies!

It is high treason, and that is the grounds upon which i suggested the motion above. In regards to the accusations of conspiracy and so forth we can not speculate, as there will be a trial there is no need for it either.

OoC: Again dude, its always taken this long a time You cant honestly say you were surprised?
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

My brother already was being accuse of high treason so i don' t think this would matter to him.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

OOC: It hasn't even been a day!
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

occ For me it has and a long one it was.
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

I must agree with Senator Sidonius and the Consul. I might have said Volero to be a true Roman, but such an act is utter cowardice.

As for being judge - I do not deny that I did have some thoughts in common with this gang of four, as you call it, as I also had with everyone else. If I'd be called upon as judge in this serious case, I would swear to the Gods, of course, that I would judge the case rightfully, impartially, and wisely. I shall let you decide, Senators.

Citizen

May I suggest that three judges, those proposed, by appointed for the task. This seems a pretty major trial, and impartiallity would be best confirmed by having three judges. Recoginising that neither Praetor can preside over this case, I see this as a suitible alternative.

I also suggest that the Senate moves quickly on this, so that it can resume proper business, and not have to indulge the mad delusions of a spurned Senator. In fact, I demand it, as my right as a Roman to have a trial within an acceptable period of time, and to have a fair one. Habeas Corpus.
    Last edited by Junius; March 02, 2009 at 01:37 PM.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

OOC: Who would be third?

Citizen

OoC: Elendil, Xavier and Stromer.
    Patron of Lysimachus