Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Fall of the Cross & Rise of the Crescent (FCRC) - General Discussion (until release FCRC 1.0)

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default Fall of the Cross & Rise of the Crescent (FCRC) - General Discussion (until release FCRC 1.0)

A ChivTW submod campaign project, taken over by Bull3pr00f.
    Find out more current things from on ca. post # 64, page 4.

Edit:
    This here is the public development/discussion thread.
    In the meantime it got its hidden dev forum.

Initial Former Summary (some things have changed in the meantime)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    # ... or short: ChivTW - FCRC
    # ... is a ChivTW (official) submod, worked out by fans and under the initiation and (active) support by DaVinci
    # The base for the modding-work is the Crusader Epoche campaign
    # Startdate 1191 ; Enddate 1311 (120 years, 240 turns)

Development-Goal: As bonus campaign content with an official ChivTW Gold version release (due somewhere after the official planned ChivTW Patch 1.1 release).

Team-Members
    DaVinci (DV) - Initial Manager, Basic Campaign Structure (preliminary camp folder + other: descr_strat/descr_regions/regions_and_settlements, campaign_descriptions, family tree coding + names files, events, campaign script)
    necroproject ("Necro") - Mapping/Coding (all map changes)
    Bull3pr00f ("Bull") - Balancing/Testing
    USC Trojans ("Trojans") - Researchment: Family Tree's, Region Ownerships

Factions (copy of the list in the official mod info with slight changes)
    The 20 Playable Factions
    Christian (Catholic):
    Comune di Pisa (Italians, Italian City States)
    Regnum Castiliĉ (Leon-Castile)
    Ducatus Bohemiĉ (Bohemia)
    Regnum Ungariĉ (Hungaria)
    Regnum Franciĉ (Franks) with Crusader State: Tripoli
    Sacrum Imperium Romanum (East-Franks, Germans)
    Regnum Angliĉ (Norman-England) with Crusader States: Cypros + Acre
    Regnum Siciliĉ (Siculo-Normans) with Crusader State: Antiochia
    Magnus Ducatus Poloniĉ (Poland)
    Regnum Daniĉ (Denmark)
    Corona Aragonĉ (Aragon, Barcelona)
    Christian (Orthodox/other):
    Basileia ton Rhomaion (Roman Empire)
    Kievskaya Velikiy kniazhestvo (Rus)
    Principatus Armeniĉ de Cilicia (Armenians)
    Muslim (Shiits+Sunnits):
    al-Murabitun (Andalusia, Granada, Morocco)
    al-Fatimiyyun (Fatimids, Reststate of Egypt)
    al-Salajiqa (ex-Grand Seljuk Empire, Turks) -> United Caliphates: Syria, Iraq, Egypt
    al-Salājiqa al-Rûm (Rum Seljuks, Turks)
    al-Ziri (Berbers, Tunesia)
    Pagan:
    Desht-i Qipchaq (Cumans, Kipchaqs)

plus tons of historical independent factions (non-playable).

Pre-story (the origin announcement)
    ... a possible additional campaign.

Long version: "The Fall of the Cross, the Rise of the Crescent"
    - or short: ChivTW - FCRC

would be the timeframe from Anno Domini 1187 - 1310 (122 years).

The main title event is of course the undergoing Kingdom of Jerusalem in 1187. Salah Ad Din (Saladin), after uniting the Muslims, takes Jerusalem. The victorious army puts down the cross and rises the crescent. Never again Jerusalem became a christian city (after holding the Kingdom of Jerusalem for 90 years).

The other main event is naturally the 3rd crusade, where 3 princes of the mightiest european realms go eastwards to free the holy land:
    * Friedrich I. 'Barbarossa', Emperor of the HRE, and King of the Germans/East-Franks
    * Philipp II. August, King of the Franks (France)
    * Richard I. Plantagenet, King of Norman-England and the Angevine Empire on the continent

It is a very interesting timeframe for the whole map, just with significant changes on the strategy map. Of course the most settlements would be much more developed, as the main powers at this time were in a quite good shape. It is the time of the height of the High Middleage, as the economy was really prosporous, not at least due to the former 1st crusade, and its new commercial relations between the east and west.
    Big changes on the map: For example Norman-Sicily was a very rich and modern state and fought on with the Romans: Roger II. King of Apulia, Calabria and Sicily, expanded to the borders of the Papal States, and even dreamed to take the Roman Empire under his realms. Henry II. of Anjou-Plantagenet, the Norman-English King held the Angevine Empire and conquered Ireland. The Reconquista expanded its realms, lot's of trouble in and around the HRE and Italy. Nur Ad Din has driven out the Fatmids from Egypt, preparing the unification of the Muslims in the relevant East, what leads to the fall of the crusader states by Saladin. ... far later, the Mongols arrived at the european borders at AD 1223.

Now, you ask, what shall all this here? Yes, this is a reasonable question. A few days ago i told Athenogoras from this campaign idea, and he said this would be awesome. But the point is:

Well, i personally have no time to provide this campaign.

And, i just wanted to make a suggestion for a quasi independent submod campaign.

My role would be just the initiator and a consultant to keep the historical-realism design, because this would be the sole requirement that i hand over this mod idea to somebody who is willing and capable to mod this campaign design. This concerns in principle only the campaign folder files, and a few text folder files for some re-naming/descriptive actions (ie. some faction name changes and faction descriptions plus new file regions_and_settlements) - as add-on mod for the main ChivTW installation. Even if this modding concerns not that much files, it makes a lot work (researchment and creating the codes for descr_strat and probably a bit in descr_regions, descr_merc, hist_events ... perhaps also a few more ancs and traits to reflect some faction leaders with correct titles).

Some might say, hey there is the mod calling 'The Crusades' done by Caius. I'm very much aware of this, unfortunately this excellent masterpiece doesn't have a stable campaign mode, and is anyway something completely different as a ChivTW - FCRC would be.
    Last edited by DaVinci; August 02, 2011 at 05:53 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

Default Re: Fall of the Cross & Rise of the Crescent

well, i'm busy with many things right now....but if i ever get time to look into some tutorials about those text files (descr_unit, descr_building, the campaign files)

...well, i think i've got the taste now, so i might want to help on this...WHEN i can do those things, and WHEN somebody else signs up...yes, then i might just help in this....

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

Sounds like a great idea wish i could help but i know nothing ,i hope you pull it off tho good luck !

well, i have no experience aswell, but i did some mapping yesterday and i am proud of my first piece of art: Acre, i also looked up some tuts...it's really not that difficult, since we only need other starting positions, other Family Members, other starting years, other victory conditions and a few extra settlement....piece of cake!

Patrician Artifex

You would just make a copy of the camp folder crusader_epoche and edit the needed files in there, which are primarily descr_strat and the camp script file as minimum.
    Nonetheless to make the research for the circumstances in the starting year and for the family tree (which could be abstracted though from the existing one) will take the most time consume. Ie. i would only - to make the coding work shorter - change the main characters, just the royal family, and remove some, which are complete out of time.

If somebody would give me a reliable list of family members per faction, then in principle i could provide this campaign in quite short time as first rough version to go with, but honestly i wanted to see others active for this campaign project - maybe making it really a detailled change of the existing chivalry world (by keeping the chiv-like conventions though).
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

SURPRISE, next to the intro vid i'm working on this....pretty fun

i only ran into one problem on mapping; i am trying to place Acre, followed 2 different tutorials;

one problem: i'm editing a copy of the crusader_epoche right now, since everything is in place and it only needs other starting positions and years etc. etc.

the tutorials say something about a settlement_and_region_lookup file, yet i can't find this for the crusader epoche! So i skip that step, but when i try to play the crusader_epoche it gives me the error:

"script error in crusader_epoche/descr_strat.txt
    at line 9673, column 1.

You have choesen an invalid tile(0, 0) for the settlement of"

and that's it...i don't know if you have knowledge of this, but what kind of error is this? have i placed it at a mountain or anything?

Patrician Artifex

Of course i have knowledge (if you meant me with this comment), but i do not intend to make tutorials on how to provide the campaign files etc.
    And yes, you have placed obviously something on a wrong/invalid place.

As a modding starter, you should not create already new regions, as this requires not only to editing descr_strat. My recommendation is that you go with the existing files, for now.
    The mentioned _regions_and_settlement.txt file lives in the text folder, but you only need to touch this file if you indeed intend to create new regions or if you wanna change their names ... oh, wait you mean the lookup file: the _lookup.txt file is a redundant file, ignore this in those tutorials.

In the whole i suggest that you stick with one project at a time, just for now the video project using the other by you thread ... good to hear you make progress on this ... i'm tensed to see your results, uploaded there to get a view. But no need to rush Bull, however, if this will be a fitting content for Chiv's intro, then of course that will find its way into the patch 1.1
    Last edited by DaVinci; March 21, 2009 at 06:11 AM.

hey, i'm doing this for fun...just let me go my way :....i WILL find my mistake, and the best way to learn is to do everything by yourself, not just look for tutorials (and no, i was not asking for a tutorial....i did everything right, but i'm going to look up the regions.tga, if i remember correctly there may be a watchtower in that place (it's always there at the start of the camp)

Patrician Artifex

if i remember correctly there may be a watchtower in that place (it's always there at the start of the camp)
    Nope, i haven't positioned a watchtower anywhere for the startmap.

and the best way to learn is to do everything by yourself, not just look for tutorials
    Correct, but time consuming of course.
    Last edited by DaVinci; March 21, 2009 at 09:10 AM.

i've got no life, so it doesn't matter

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

Well if i can help some manner be glad to ,bearing in min as i said no nothing about modding ,be glad to help .If its moral support you have it .

Default Re: Fall of the Cross & Rise of the Crescent (possible new campaign)

I'm OK to help a little. A little necessary

yup....you did some things about mapping, right?

maybe you can at least do that....
    Then we'll only have to change the starting positions, add some scripts....set the relationships, change the starting date and then we are done!

Patrician Artifex

I'm not sure what you mean with "adding some scripts" ... Chiv has not a show_me script anymore. You should try to design this mod without to require a show_me script activation. Remember the player installs your submod as add-on.

and then we are done!
    That sounds "hopeful" ... lol.
    You'll have also to change the family tree's and change/add faction descriptions. As for region ownerships etc.: The start situation has to reflect the history (the start date) as far as it is possible.
    And, if you have a quasi beta campaign setup, you'll have to playtest it, verifying the AI is working along the goals, and have to balance the whole thing, making sure, the AI won't play out complete ahistorical. While, one thought could be to make a lot factions unplayable, focusing on the crusader factions and the muslim factions, as playable factions - but this is a matter of playtesting, ie. if the focused factions play out properly as AI steered factions, then in principle all factions could be playable as usually.
    Oh, and you should think about to change the current Cumans/Kipchaqs to a stronger faction, eventually could reflect the Hordes (under Mongol rule), which also shall be a threat for the Muslims, and as reminder iirc the Mongols appeared 1223 AD at the borders of Europe. However it would be a big challenge to reflect Mongols in this campaign, thus makes it a big question if you should consider them overall or let them out.
    Last edited by DaVinci; April 06, 2009 at 12:13 PM.

with "done" I mean "done" in the sense of at the start of the beta-beta-beta test period

but we are a long way from what you are talking about...first we should focus on the initial design

Patrician Artifex

Good. That makes sense now

Hi

I've add the region of Acre and when I launch the campaign I get this message :
    "could not find region in stringtable"

I would like to know what does it mean, because I had not this problem with adding Melitene...

What I've done :

This (it will be certainly modified in the final version) in the rescr_region :

Acre ; ok
    Acre
    gauls
    Hebrews
    36 104 114 [these are the right RGB]
    slaves, fatamid, turk, main, elite, order, genoa, crus_state, jeru, byz
    christianity 95 pagan 5

This in the descr_strat file :

settlement
    {
    level large_town
    region Acre

year_founded 0
    population 2000
    plan_set default_set
    faction_creator gauls
    building
    {
    type core_building governors_villa
    }
    building
    {
    type rights market_rights
    }
    building
    {
    type shrines shrine
    }
    building
    {
    type defenses stone_wall
    }
    building
    {
    type hinterland_roads roads
    }
    }

Could you help me, if I have anything forgotten...

Patrician Artifex

Did you add the entry for the text folder file regions_and_settlements ?

Edit:
    Also you need to count the regions. The max number, iirc, of regions is 199 incl. the ocean, although i doubt that we have touched this number already.
    Last edited by DaVinci; April 07, 2009 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    Did you add the entry for the text folder file regions_and_settlements ?

Edit:
    Also you need to count the regions. The max number, iirc, of regions is 199 incl. the ocean, although i doubt that we have touched this number already.
    Ok, thank's, but I don't find any regions_and_settlements file. Then, where can I find the iirc file ?

Sorry...

Patrician Artifex

Ok, some explanations: (read accurate)

abreviation iirc = if i remember correctly

Location of the concerning file:

...\chivalry\data\text

real file name: crusader_epoche_regions_and_settlement_names.txt

make a backup of this file before you change it.

I wonder how you got Melitene to work without the change in this file?

However, add the following at the end of the file:

{Acre} Acre
    {Acre} Acre

---

A) So this is the first step. But then you only changed the existing Crusader Epoche campaign. What you need to have is that you backup'd the whole crusader_epoche campaign folder in its original design (hope you did this, before you changed anything!), ie. have named this camp folder crusader_epoche_backup - eventually transport this backup folder to another location, just not in the world folder.
    Do not touch this backup, as you need to rename it back to the original file name, because you don't wanna overwrite really this campaign, you wanna create a new "provincial campaign"!

B) Now, as i said above in different posts, you need to have a new campaign folder, ie. call it fcrc (short for: fall cross rise crescent). This camp folder shall be the copy of the crusader_epoche folder! Here you make your changes in the map files.

C) Create a new regions_and_settlements file: Go to the text folder, copy the crusader_epoche_regions_and_settlement_names.txt and rename it fcrc_regions_and_settlement_names.txt. Here you make your region/settlement name changes along your map file changes!

D) Now open in the text folder the file campaign_descriptions.txt
    Original looks like that ...
    Ĵ Localised file for campaign descriptions
    {BARBARIAN_INVASION}The Early Era Campaign
    {BARBARIAN_INVASION_TITLE}The Rise of the Knighthood

{BARBARIAN_INVASION_ROMANS_JULII_TITLE}Pisa
    {BARBARIAN_INVASION_ROMANS_JULII_DESCR}
    Campaign difficulty should be expected as:\n- Medium -\n\nThe main power of Northern Italy is represented by Pisa, a Catholic city-state. The early era scenario is witness to the emergence of this strong yet small merchant republic on the coast of the Tyrrhenian Sea. The balance of power in Northern Italy is represented by portraying the noble Pisan families in nominal power of the faction. However, under wise and aggressive guidance, Pisa has the ability to expand into a 'greater' Italian faction, encompassing all of Northern Italy by ruling the Italian City States including the Papal States, and possibly beyond.\n\nHaving been a fiercely contested part of the known world, with various tribes and empires over time, laying claim to the soil. Pisa itself has over many years, had been forced to fight for mere survival against a host of enemies: Goths, Lombards, Greeks, Frankish and Imperial forces. All these peoples have at one time or another, vied for outright control of Northern Italy in a host of bloody and vain battles, yet no-one has not been strong enough to fully gain undisputed control. These various wars have made the Pisans themselves handy fighters and effective warriors, available to the Pisan throne is a host of effective Italian knights, archers, crossbowmen and professional men-at-arms.\n\nHistorically at the time after the battle of Manzikert the Viscomte of Pisa and his domains of the Marche di Tuscia acts as the protector of the Pope. His men and knights are the actual warriors of the seat of St. Peter in it's struggle against the imperial Germany. Later the Commune di Pisa took a pro imperial stance (the Ghibellines) against the papist communes of Genoa and Cremona (the Guelphs).\n\nThe Po Valley agriculturally rich, the mountains of the lower Alps and the Apennines contain a wealth of resources, all within reach of a powerful Pisan ruler. This has brought much attention to the prying eyes of jealous neighbours, which is one of Pisa's most perilous weaknesses, in that it is surrounded by strong independent forces and even more powerful factions. Pisa's main strength is its naval trade, being a naval safe haven, it is favoured as a trading hub and many merchants and traders from far and wide call the city home.

{BARBARIAN_INVASION_ROMANS_SCIPII_TITLE}Leon-Castile
    {BARBARIAN_INVASION_ROMANS_SCIPII_DESCR}
    Campaign difficulty should be expected as:\n- Medium -\n\nOriginally an eastern county of the Kingdom of Leon, Castile became independent in the 11th century. Its primary occupation for the next 400 years was the ‘Reconquista’, the retaking of Spain from the Muslims. Castile is devoutly Catholic and it has been said that Castile was a society organised for war.\n\nCastile is surrounded by allied Spanish states which you will need to gain control of, your territories take up most of north western Spain. Portugal under muslim control and the Moors are to the south, to the north France. The Moors are your main enemy but France may become one if you are not careful.\n\nCastile’s army was one that rewarded in the forms of tax exemptions and a division of the spoils. Many of her lords also fought out of a sense of duty.\n\nKnights are a feature of Castile’s military and so are good light scout cavalry on very swift horses. Town Militia are one of the keys to the Christian success at holding the ground it takes and will most likely form the bulk of your army, besides European mercenaries.\n\nSpanish Military Orders are available in the late stages of this Era providing a good source of determined well trained Knights.\n\nYou may also be lucky enough to have adventuring Crusaders hire their services to you at moderate cost.\n\nIronically Castile often hired Muslims serving as Mercenaries or Muslim Auxiliaries. These include units such as Berber Light Cavalry which gave their name to the Spanish version called 'Jinetes'.\n\nCastile historically was the Spanish State that arguably played the largest part in the reconquest of Spain from the various Muslim factions. Convert the whole of Spain to Christianity and you will have achieved Castile’s ultimate goal.

{BARBARIAN_INVASION_ROMANS_SENATE_TITLE}Bohemia
    {BARBARIAN_INVASION_ROMANS_SENATE_DESCR}
    Campaign difficulty should be expected as:\n- Very Hard -\n\nBohemia got its name from the Celtic Boii tribe, who inhabited the region from around the 4th Century BC. They were later displaced by Germanic tribes, and then again in the 6th Century AD when the Slavs arrived.\n\nBy 1041 Bohemia had fully emerged from its tribal Slavic origins and formed a state that was recognised as a duchy. Although Bohemia is mostly independent of the Holy Roman Empire, sovereignty is still fought over as the german emperors viewed it as a vassal state of their Empire.\n\nPlaying Bohemia, in the beginning one of the smallest and weakest factions of the game, is quite hard. Prague is one of the biggest and wealthiest cities all around but you hold only two provinces – aside from Cechy, only Moravia is on your side.In addition, the duchy is surrounded by the mighty states of Poland, Hungary and last but not least, the Holy Roman Empire. Your first step may be the capturing of Luzica (historically, the dukes of Bohemia ruled it by the end of the 11th century) and after this keep your eyes peeled! \n\nCarefully watch the situation in the German provinces, and when they get weaker (or better - turn into anarchy) attack! However, you will start as an ally of the Empire and it might not be profitable to further expand into their territories, unless of course you want to fight off this superpower as well as dealing with possible agressions from the hostile Hungary and Poland. If it is possible to ally with one of the other Central European powers the situation may change...\n\nBut to hell with ideals, if you want to be succesfull, you have to revalue relations with the surrounding factions every second year. Exaggerated polictics, nethertheless, could also be the way to your downfall, so choose your steps carefully and wisely. Historical rulers of Bohemia did so, and they soon became famous kings. What about you?

{BARBARIAN_INVASION_CARTHAGE_TITLE}Hungary
    {BARBARIAN_INVASION_CARTHAGE_DESCR}
    Campaign difficulty should be expected as:\n- Medium -\n\nIn 896 the Magyar leader Árpád led his people to the Carpathian Basin from the steppes of Asia. The Magyars (Hungarians, a name first coined by German monks) were a people who lived a life almost entirely equestrian in nature, of Finno-Ugric origins. For a time the Magyars were the scourge of Europe: looting, raiding, raping and pillaging the kingdoms that surrounded them. Enslaving the Slavs of the Balkans and expanding into the Ostmark and Poland. From Iberia to Denmark the name Magyar was one both feared and hated.\n\nFinally the Magyars were defeated at the Battle of Lechfeld by Otto of Germany. Now the year is 1072 and it is 71 years since Szent István was crowned and the Hungarian Kingdom consolidated following Papal approval. The Poles, Germans and Slavs have not forgotten the ills of the past and a wise Hungarian leader would do well to maintain cordial diplomatic relations with his neighbours until he can once again journey his army across Europe unchecked.\n\nA new culture of learning is flourishing, but the Hungarians have not lost their unique roots and they maintain a degree of cultural autonomy from the rest of Europe. The Hungarians have the potential to build a great Empire and set once more foot upon those lands they pillaged in the past, this time as Christian rulers and not in the guise of a pagan Horde. The Byzantines to the south have come to rely on the Hungarians for the protection of their Northern borders, and there are rich pickings to the east where Kiev and its provinces might be brought under Hungarian control.

{BARBARIAN_INVASION_EGYPT_TITLE}Kipchaqs
    {BARBARIAN_INVASION_EGYPT_DESCR}
    Campaign difficulty should be expected as:\n- Hard -\n\nThe Horde faction doesn't represent the Mongols in the Early Era, as they appear in Europe earliest around 1223 AD, but the powerful local steppe tribes, such as mainly the Cumans, Pecheneggs, Khazars and other.\n\nAre you ready to unite them to found a great power in the steppe regions. Although the main enemies are the different independant steppe tribes as well as the Kiev and Novgorod Rus, no wise leader will ignore the possible danger coming off the Seljuks, the Byzantine Empire, Hungary and Poland.

{BARBARIAN_INVASION_GAULS_TITLE}France
    {BARBARIAN_INVASION_GAULS_DESCR}
    Campaign difficulty should be expected as:\n- Medium -\n\nThe first ruling dynasty in France, the Merovingians, ruled the land from the 5th century to 751 AD. Afterwards the Karolinger house, descendants of Pippin the Short and Charlemagne (Karlmann) took over. They obtained the crown in their dynasty for 231 years, until Hugues Capet came to power.\n\nBut while the Karolinger house had ruled over all of France (here eventually better: 'West-Francia'), the Capetingians rule was limited to the King's domain, which was a very small area compared to the Dukedoms of Normandy, Bretagne, Burgundy, Aquitaine and the counties of Flandria, Anjou, Champagne, Poitou and Toulouse. However in truth the dukes could do whatever they wanted in their domains, so many of the kings held war against powerful land-lords.\n\nThe Duchy of Normandy, is under control of the english King and his obediance to the King of France is probably rather a matter of benefit than of honour, while the Bretagne was and is a dangerous area as the Dukes are eager to claim new lands under their control.\n\nWe must now set our hope on Oriflamme rising over the European castles, and trumpets singing would be French ... one of the main goals for the West-Franks is to install crusader states in the Levante and as well in Greece.

{BARBARIAN_INVASION_GERMANS_TITLE}Holy Roman Empire
    {BARBARIAN_INVASION_GERMANS_DESCR}
    Campaign difficulty should be expected as:\n- Medium -\n\nThe "Holy Roman Empire" is something of a unique faction with many interesting pecularities. The Regnum Teutonicorum - the German Kingdom - at the beginning of the period is in truth more of a loose confederation of petty states, in principle of German high nobles and an overall Emperor - the German king who travelled to Rome in order that the Pope crowns him "Augustus Imperii Romani" - Roman Emperor - in return for the protection of the Catholic Church. Without the support of the autonomous nobles, the kingdom did not have an army, as mainly military support to the kings or emperors was provided on a goodwill basis and it is due to this fact that a good portion of troops raised were provided by the various Churches who were answerable to the Emperor and typically Bishops therefore became soldiers first and churchmen second.\n\nThe German Kingdom, or also still known as Regnum Francorum Orientalium or East-Francia - the East-Frankish Kingdom as derived from the Frankish Karolinger house - is surrounded by powerful factions on all sides, you have Poland and Hungary to the East, France and England to the west. The main weaknesses of this faction are its inherent instability within itself the possible cause of many rebellions and "civil" wars, coupled with its central position within the large European powers.\n\nHistorically the kingdom did not embrace feudalism in any true sense for the first part of this period and thus did not have instantly the ability to raise Feudal Knights. German mercenaries mostly formed the core of the "East-Frankish" armies. The most interesting aspect of the kingdoms’s military at this time was the fact that all Bishop Princes were expected to provide troops and personal service.\n\nHistorically the kingdom was changed to a feudal system at the middle of this period when the kings finally stopped having to bribe the nobility for military service and instead got six weeks a year in the field from each of them as a matter of course.

{BARBARIAN_INVASION_MACEDON_TITLE}Almoravid Caliphate
    {BARBARIAN_INVASION_MACEDON_DESCR}
    Campaign difficulty should be expected as:\n- Medium -\n\nThe Moors were a people that came from North Africa and were chiefly Muslims of Berber or Arab origins. They conquered most of southern Spain and expanded their African territories in the campaigns period but were also conquered themselves by other similar North African factions such as the Almoravids and Almohades which for the purposes of Chivalry Total War will be considered the same faction.\n\nTheir religion is the Islam which the Moors are fanatical about and is central to the Moorish Empires policies.\n\nThe factions surrounding the Moors include Christian Spain to the north and Egypt to the far east. The Moors strengths includes its relative isolation from immediate threats in North Africa providing a strong platform for invasions of Europe. Christian Spain will of course not be satisfied until all the Moorish peoples are expelled from the Iberian peninsula.\n\nThe Moorish armies have a huge variety of troop types at their disposal.\n\nDrums and flags were used to communicate and scare enemy armies. Another tradition among the Berbers of the Moorish army was to shave their heads before battle. As in Christian Iberia local militia form your defensive backbone combined with religious volunteers and Muslim monk soldiers dedicating a part of their life to defending strategic positions before going home to their families. Cavalry includes very strong light Berbers providing the offensive backbone of any Moorish army, Camel Riders, and Horse Archers of Turkish origin are available in some regions. If you are lucky you may find Andalusian ‘Christian Style Knights' using Christian captured armour to add a heavy cavalry punch to your army.\n\nMissile troops are available in the form of Javeliners, some Archers and the famed light and elite Andalusian Crossbowmen\n\nBlack African Guardsmen are another troop type used in numbers and sometimes whole units were chained together to form a solid line of elite troops that neither gave nor expected mercy to be given.\n\nHistorically this era saw the loss of significant ground for your faction on the Iberian peninsula and even the invasion of your territories in North Aftrica. Fighting was very brutal in Spain and both sides took up the practice of head hunting. It’s a dirty war full of treachery and strife even in your own ranks. Hold your provinces to exceed your factions historical fate.

{BARBARIAN_INVASION_PONTUS_TITLE}Seljuks of Rum
    {BARBARIAN_INVASION_PONTUS_DESCR}
    Campaign difficulty should be expected as:\n- Hard -\n\nIn the 1070s, the Seljuk commander Suleyman bin Kutalmish, a distant cousin of Malik Shah, the ruler of the Grand-Seljuks, and a former contender for the throne of the Grand Seljuk Empire, came to power in western Anatolia. At 1075 AD, he captured the Byzantine cities of Nicaea and Nicomedia. Two years later he declared himself sultan of an independent Seljuk state and established his capital at Nicaea.\n\nThe Seljuk Sultanate of Rum was the Seljuk realm that ruled in Anatolia in direct lineage from 1077 to 1307, with capitals first at Nicaea and then at Iconium. Since the sultans of Rum were highly mobile, cities like Kaisareia and Sebasteia also functioned at times as capitals. At its height, the sultanate stretched across central Asia Minor from the Antalya-Alanya shoreline on the Mediterranean coast to the territory of Sinope at the Black Sea. In the east, the sultanate absorbed other Turkish states and reached to Lake Van. Its westernmost limit was near Denizli and the gates of the Aegean basin.\n\nThe term "Rûm" comes from the Arabic word for Rome. The Seljuks called the lands of their sultanate "Rum" because it had been established on territory long considered Roman by Muslim armies.\n\nThe sultanate prospered, particularly during the late 12th and early 13th centuries when it won from the Byzantines key ports on Anatolia's Mediterranean and Black Sea coasts. Within Anatolia the Seljuks fostered trade through a program of caravanserai-building, which facilitated the flow of goods from Iran and Central Asia to the ports. Especially strong trade ties with the Genoese formed during this period. The increased wealth allowed the sultanate to absorb other Turkish states that had been established in eastern Anatolia after the Battle of Manzikert: the Danishmends, the Mengücek, the Saltuklu, and the Artuklu. Seljuk sultans successfully bore the brunt of the Crusades, but in 1243 succumbed to the advancing Mongols.

{BARBARIAN_INVASION_ARMENIA_TITLE}Kiev Rus
    {BARBARIAN_INVASION_ARMENIA_DESCR}
    Campaign difficulty should be expected as:\n- Hard -\n\nThe city of Kiev was conquered by Variags commanded by Oleg, the brother of Novgorods founder Rjurik (of Swedish Viking origin), in 882 and soon formed the Grand-Dukedom of Kiev. The city was quite strong as it's greatest leaders drove off numerous enemies and their lives were ended usually in dying on the battlefield. One of the greatest rulers - Jaroslav the Wise, attacked Estonia in 1036, and conquered a city there, the city was created into an castle-like building and it withstood some dangerous moments.\n\nThe economy of the city was based on feudal land-owners and the trade with lumber and slaves. Craftsmanship was well developed and the state held many famous monasteries. In 988 the Kievan Rus were christianized under the rule of Grand-Duke Vladimir.\n\nThe state was ruled by a Grand-Duke, who was followed by the Bojars, which all-together formed up the Druzhina. The highest civilian power in peacetime is the Veche.\n\nThe great bells of the cathedral of Saint Sophia were rang in times of war '... now they are sounding their terrible sound over the city ... people are gathering on the city plaza. We all hope that Arch-Angel Michael will protect us ...'

{BARBARIAN_INVASION_SELEUCID_TITLE}Armenian Cilicia
    {BARBARIAN_INVASION_SELEUCID_DESCR}
    Campaign difficulty should be expected as:\n- Very Hard -\n\nArmenia used to be a great kingdom which often became a battlefield where armies of great empires clashed. Armenians take pride of being the very first nation to officially accept Christianity as state religion. Driven by faith and patriotism, they fought bravely against both Byzantines and Seljuk Turks alike to defend their homeland. But alas, the Byzantine Empire took control of Armenia in 1045 AD and the Seljuk Turks in 1064 AD.\n\nSick of all the horrors at home, Armenian princes, led by Prince Reuben, set their sights on a promising new land: Cilicia. Located on the north-eastern shores of the Mediterranean, Cilicia was to become a new Armenia, a stronghold for the Armenian people, culture, and Apostolic Christianity.\n\nThe Armenians have high hopes for a brighter future under your wise rule. Will you take advantage of your people’s worldwide expertise in commerce? Stuck between two warring empires, will you prevail and take back what is rightfully yours or will you lead your people to oblivion?

{BARBARIAN_INVASION_ROMANS_BRUTII_TITLE}Berber Emirate
    {BARBARIAN_INVASION_ROMANS_BRUTII_DESCR}
    Campaign difficulty should be expected as:\n- Medium -\n\nThe Zirid Berbers, originally, they were a Berber tribe from Sanhaja in modern Algeria. Their first ruler was Ziri ibn Manad, who defeated a rebellion for his overlords, the Fatimids. He became the governor of the central Maghreb (Morocco) with the support of the Fatimids. It didn’t take a long time for the Zirid Berbers to declare independence from the Fatimids.\n\nHistorically, the Fatimids tried to regain control of these regions under the Zirids government. However, the Berber-Zirids recognised the Abbassids of Baghdad as the rightful Kaliphat instead of the Fatimids' one.\n\nYou will face the Fatimids to the east but you will have time to prepare for their attack, as they have first other sorrows, and as some independent settlements lay between both of you. The biggest danger will come from your cousins, the Moors. Although they are Muslims, brothers in belief, you might be under great pressure, if they've overrun the Christians of the Iberian Peninsula, and turn their swords towards you. A Khaliphat of the whole medieval Morroco including all coastal northern African regions is a dream to every Moorish leader. To the north you will face the Normans controlling Sicily and on Sardinia the Pisan Italians. A strike on the rather isolated isles, will give you a strategic base to control the western Mediterranean Sea. However, you will face some ambitious independent leaders with good support of their people, who want your lands. And the independent Muslim tribes are strong and fierce, representing the small Emirates of the Arabs and Berbers in North-Africa.

{BARBARIAN_INVASION_PARTHIA_TITLE}Roman Empire
    {BARBARIAN_INVASION_PARTHIA_DESCR}
    Campaign difficulty should be expected as:\n- Medium -\n\nFor over 700 years Constantinople, or the East Roman Empire, has stood not only as a bastion of Roman power but also as the seat of Orthodox Christendom. Straddling to both southeast Europe and large parts of Asia Minor the Roman Empire stands at a crossroad of the world. Constantinople is a natural center of commerce and therefore a fabulously rich city.\n\nTo the East the Seljuk Turks are dwelling who rule large swaths of land. In the northwest the powerful Kingdom of Hungary is located. In the north, across the Black Sea, is the domain of the Grand-Duke of Kiev and plenty of tribes from the Eurasian steppe, like ie. the Cumans. In order to survive the Roman Empire is in need of finding allies, perhaps the Egyptians might be played off against the Seljuk Turks.\n\nFurthermore the Kingdom of Armenian Cilicia is close by and is equally threatened by the Turks. A final, but dangerous option remains. Fostering good relations with the great Princes and Kings of Europe could resolute in a Crusade coming to the aid of the Rhomaioi - the Romans, but the same Crusaders might decide to seize the Holy Land for themselves. With a strong leadership and just a little bit of luck the power and glory of Caesar and Augustus might be reclaimed.\n\nThe Roman army of the 11th century has a wide range of units ranging from simple spearmen to the mighty Klibanophoroi and Kataphraktoi. Although the Rhomaioi possesses some of the most powerful units of the Early Era these units are very expensive. Thus a choice must be made for the Roman armies: a few elite, nearly unstoppable, units that run the risk of be overwhelmed or many lower quality units that cannot be totally relied upon to hold the battle line.\n\nMercenaries were a predominant feature of Roman armies of the period mainly recruited from the west and North. Examples include Venetians, Saxons, Franks, Cumans, Alans and Serbians. An elite unit worthy to mention is the Varangian Guard, basically Viking and Saxon axemen re-organised and trained in Constantinople, they rode to battle but fought on foot.\n\nHistorically the Rhomaioi did not fare very well during the Early Era. They made little gain in retaking Anatolia. The Empire's relations with the Crusaders that came to help were also uncomfortable and near the end of the period the Roman capital Constantinople was sacked by Crusaders after a pay dispute and a Latin Empire was formed, for some time competing the Roman Empire. Surpassing the historical achievement of the Roman Empire is simple in goal, but difficult in execution. Anatolia should be re-conquered and of course the capital of Constantinople must be protected at all costs.

{BARBARIAN_INVASION_GREEK_CITIES_TITLE}Fatimid Egypt
    {BARBARIAN_INVASION_GREEK_CITIES_DESCR}
    Campaign difficulty should be expected as:\n- Medium -\n\nThe ruling islamic Fatimid dynasty in Egypt has been blessed in many ways. The heartland of its domains remains as rich and fertile as in its great ancient times, thanks to the yearly flooding by the renewing Nile. The great cities along the riverbanks are some of the most sophisticated, wealthy and vibrant in the known world. This is partly due to the Egyptian, Greek and Roman culture that the Fatimids inherited, but it has been transformed by their Arabic influence into something richer: a truly enlightened and erudite culture.\n\nThe Islamic rulers of Egypt are also tolerant to a degree not seen elsewhere: Jews, Orthodox Christians, Coptic Christians and many other sects are allowed to worship as they will, although they are excluded from certain government posts. This gives the dynasty an underlying strength and popularity that stands it in good stead to meet the future.\n\nFatimid Egypt does face external threats, but should be well placed to meet them. There is an expansionist tendency in the western catholic Christianity that could lead to trouble. Future Islamic control of the eastern Mediterranean might be challenged and this has long been encouraged by the Byzantine Empire to the north. There is always the chance that the Byzantine Empire will seek to re-establish direct control over its former possessions in the Middle East and Africa. In addition, the Almohads to the west do not demonstrate the friendliness of fellow Muslims and the the Turks in the northeast are looking jealousy on the wealth of Egypt. Providing that each of these challenges can be met, there is plenty to look forward to as a ruler of Egypt - the wealth of the Mediterranean and Islamic worlds is there for the bold to take!

{BARBARIAN_INVASION_THRACE_TITLE}Grand Seljuk Empire
    {BARBARIAN_INVASION_THRACE_DESCR}
    Campaign difficulty should be expected as:\n- Medium -\n\nThe nomadic Turkic peoples have always been a people of war who constantly sought expansion. During the Dark Ages many Turkic tribes, such as the Pechenegs, Avars, Kipchaqs, Khazars and Volga Bulgars, following the footsteps of the Huns and having used the Russian steppes as a bridge between their home in Central Asia and Eastern Europe.\n\nIt has been the Seljuk Turks who first discovered a new path into Western lands. The Seljuks fought their way through Persia, ending up in the heartlands of Islam and soon found themselves commanding large swaths of the Middle East, what led to the foundation of the Grand Seljuk Empire, ruled by Malik Shah and its dynasty in the 1070s with the seat of power in Baghdad, the former center of the once mighty Ayyubids.\n\nThe Turks are surrounded by dangerous foes: to the North, beyond the Caucasian mountain ranges lies the Russian steppe ruled by a Turkic brother people: the Kipchaqs, also known as the Cumans. While the Seljuk Turks are well on their way to being a settled people, the Cumans still cling to their nomadic ferocity. Therefore, trying to unite their Turkic brethren under their banner, could prove a dangerous task indeed.\n\nTo the South are the lands claimed by the Arabs, the zealous people who brought the Turks the religion of Islam. Once these people ruled an empire stretching from the Iberian Peninsula towards Persia. An assault upon Arab lands must me swift, for these people can quickly overrun any foe.\n\nAnd of course there are also the people towards the west. Those who live in the wealthy lands of the Roman Empire, the land where the biggest prize is located, the Grand City of Constantinople. Byzantium has grown weak, but before the last blow can be dealt, the Turks must fight their way through the lands controlled by the disciplined Armenians and other independant nations or rebels in Asia Minor.\n\nAnd without a doubt: none of these people must be underestimated, and none of them will be an easy prey. But a Turkish Sultan must also not underestimate his own forces. Turkish cavalrymen have fought upon the steppes of Turkestan, on Persian mountain ranges and in Arabian deserts, and should not be taken lightly. Turkish Armies of the early period featured skilled horse archers predominantly with small pockets of Heavy Cavalry, infantry were also used in the form of javelin men or archers. Your tactics are therefore for the most part stand off and kill your enemies from afar before sending in the heavy units for the killing blow.\n\nHistorically during this period the Turks were strong but their Northern reaches were being ravaged by the incoming Mongol Hordes, this caused the Empire to break into individual but still large sultanates. A strong Turkish Sultan could easily have his people carve him an empire.

{BARBARIAN_INVASION_BRITONS_TITLE}Norman England
    {BARBARIAN_INVASION_BRITONS_DESCR}
    Campaign difficulty should be expected as:\n- Medium -\n\nOnly a few years ago, in 1066, Duke William II "The Conquerer" of Normandy defeated the Saxon King Harold in the bloody 'Battle of Hastings'. After supressing various rebellions to the North, all the lands collectively known as England are now under the unquestioned rule of William I of England and his Norman nobility. It is now up to his dynasty to bring stability and unity to a country that has been constantly invaded and divided for the past centuries. After the Celts, the Romans, the Saxons, the Vikings and finally the Viking-descended Normans have invaded these lands, is it finally time for England to become a united kingdom?\n\nBut England must be strong, if it is to survive for long. Scots to the North, Welsh and Irish to the East and the powerful King of France to the South, whom William actually owes obedience as the Duke of the Normandy. The Norman-English kings must prove their ability to fight and win. War will be inevitable, as France and England fight for supremacy in the West of Europe and England has the potential to be a world power if it can survive this bloody war. The nation has a safe position on an island, so an invasion should be fairly easily averted... as long as the king doesn't rely too much on geography. But if England can handle the trade and recruit a powerful army, a strong empire on the continent (historically the Angevinian Empire) might certainly be possible.

{BARBARIAN_INVASION_SPAIN_TITLE}Aragon
    {BARBARIAN_INVASION_SPAIN_DESCR}
    Campaign difficulty should be expected as:\n- Hard -\n\nAragon was originally a Frankish county in Spain before declaring itself independent at the end of the 10th century. Aragon is surrounded by other Spanish Kingdoms which you will need to gain control of. Your territories take up most of north eastern Spain. Portugal and the Moors are to the south, to the north the mighty and rich French lands are located. The Moors are your mortal enemy but France may become one if you are not careful.\n\nKnights are a feature of Aragon’s military and so are good light scout cavalry on very swift horses. Militia are one of the keys to Christian Spain’s success at holding the ground it takes and will most likely form the bulk of your army.\n\nYou may also be lucky enough to have adventuring Crusaders hire their services to you at little cost.\n\nAragon hired Muslims serving as Mercenaries or Muslim Auxiliaries. These include units such as Berber Light Cavalry which gave their name to the Spanish version called ‘Jinetes’.\n\nAragon expanded south into Muslim held spain during this era, gaining other territories through marriage. Expand south and east to match the historical gains of Aragon.

{BARBARIAN_INVASION_SCYTHIA_TITLE}Denmark
    {BARBARIAN_INVASION_SCYTHIA_DESCR}
    Campaign difficulty should be expected as:\n- Medium -\n\nThe oars hit the shallow surface and the longboats slide through the dark water. With a dull bumb the keels of the first vessels hits the white banks and soon thereafter mailed bodies wade ashore. The fleet of Knud, son of King Svend Estridsen of Denmark, makes a last attempt to reconquer England. The Danish army raids several small villages and manages to sack York, but is eventually bought of by William I of England.\n\n The time of the Vikings is finally over and the wind of change blows over the Kingdom of Denmark.\n\nAfter the death of his rival Harald Harderaade at Stamford Bridge King Svend has begun an enormous task. To unite Denmark, who is still much in the hands of the local nobility under his wise and just rule. Another test is also waiting. The Danish church is still under the control of The Holy Roman Empire. Svend has plans to make Denmark an independent diocese and that ought to make problems with the Holy Roman Emperor.\n\nBut even still Denmark is standing strong especially in Scandinavia.\n\nThe Norwegians, who previously ruled the land, are weak and open for an invasion. The petty kingdom of the Swedes, looking hungry at Skaane, is also a great conquering possibility. Indeed, uniting all of Scandinavia would be a great feat worthy of any king of old and furthermore the baltic lands seem ripe to be taken...

{BARBARIAN_INVASION_NUMIDIA_TITLE}Poland
    {BARBARIAN_INVASION_NUMIDIA_DESCR}
    Campaign difficulty should be expected as:\n- Medium -\n\nThe Polish were born out of the unification of the Slavic tribes stretching from the Oder to the Bug, and from the Baltic Sea to the Carpathian Mountains. Poland evolved from a tribal Slavic state build around the Drużyna system, in which the king paid for his retinues equipment, into a feudal state formed around the noble's manor and his dependancy upon the king.\n\nThe founder of the Piast dynasty, Mieszko I, was the driving force behind forging the new country. His son Bolesław I was the first to gain the crown in 1025, but Mieszko II led the country into less successful wars with its powerful neighbors; the Kievan Rus' and the Holy Roman Empire. While his successor Kasimir I restructured the economy and military system, a Czech invasion pillaged the capital of the weakend country, annexed Śląsk and left Poland in a state of devestation.\n\nPoland's recent turmoils have not yet been completely forgotten, but the new king, Bolesław II, has put down the pagan rebellions with Christianity firmly asserted. Only a strong king, on his throne in the new capital of Kraków, can ensure that the horrid times of his father and grandfather will never recur. Maybe Poland will enter a new golden age, strengthening its position in central Europe, perhaps even to challange that of the Holy Roman Empire. Expansion to the west may be costly, as the Saxons and Franks are foes not to be taken lightly and German eyes have always looked hungrily upon the Polish lands. To the south lies Hungary, which, if not serving as a potential ally against the Holy Roman Empire, can be a much easier doorway for expansion. To the east are the Rus lands of Galich and Kiev located, which, with their rich trade centers would be the smartest region for an expansion. To the north lies Pomerania, a pagan and tribal Slavic region on the Baltic coast which may provide Polands chance for using the sea. It may bring Poland glory in the Christian world to convert the heathen lands, and the coast has always been the priority in Polish politics. Eastwards of the coast lies Prussia and Lithuania, where fierce pagan Baltic tribes reside. Controlling these areas would bring the northern Baltic coast under Polish control, and ruin Danish plans for expansion in these areas.\n\nTo say there is nowhere for Poland to seek glory would be simply a lie. What the future holds for this young country is a mystery and only a powerful ruler can set it onto the path of glory.

{BARBARIAN_INVASION_DACIA_TITLE}Norman Sicily
    {BARBARIAN_INVASION_DACIA_DESCR}
    Campaign difficulty should be expected as:\n- Medium -\n\nThis time period sees Sicily a ravaged and war torn place prone not only to petty squabbling but Invasion and civil war. At the beginning of this era Sicily was under Muslim control but a long campaign has started in 1041, leaving most of Sicily in Roger I of Normandy’s control. The official religion is Catholic but many of the population still follows the Islam.\n\nSicily is located directly below the Italian boot. You do not yet control all of it as the southern part is still under Muslim control. However at this time the Normans also had holdings in Southern Italy and thus you control provinces on the Italian boot. Sicilian lands are dry but fertile, with volcanic mountains and a focus on the sea for trade as a source of income.\n\nTheir have been decades of fighting and Norman Sicily is still divided and prone to rebellion so watch your generals and your back. To the south are the Muslims, from the west, Aragon or the Moors might have plans with your regions, to the north the Holy Roman Empire will have attempts for ruling whole Italy, in-between are the Italians ruled by Pisa. The East contains the still mighty Byzantine Empire. One goal will be to go on a crusade led by Boemundo d'Altavilla, or also known as Bohemund of Tarent, and to conquer Antioch in the tradition of a real Norman adventurer.\n\nYour greatest weakness lies in the fact that your lands are small, split and isolated. You will likely need good neighbouring allies. Piracy is also a very real danger during this period. Many smaller invasions made by Muslim pirates carried off or killed entire populations.\n\nThe great strength of Sicily is the variety of troops that may be raised due to the mixing of Eastern and Western cultures, not only do you have Norman Knights, Crossbowmen and Christian style infantry but also units such as Muslim Horse Archers and Saracen infantry.\n\nHistorically the Normans took the rest of the island from Muslim control and even encroached into Tunisia to the south. Historically, near the end of the period however the Germans wrest Sicily and Southern Italy from the Normans ...

{CRUSADER_EPOCHE}Additional Campaign
    {CRUSADER_EPOCHE_TITLE}The Crusader Epoche

{CRUSADER_EPOCHE_ROMANS_JULII_TITLE}Italian City States
    {CRUSADER_EPOCHE_ROMANS_JULII_DESCR}
    Campaign difficulty should be expected as:\n- Medium -\n\nThe main power of Northern Italy is represented by the 'Comune di Pisa', a Catholic city-state - whereas the goverened realms are extended by now over Spoleto, Sardinia, Corsica, and even Genoa is under the ruling influence of the Pisan republic, thus the faction represents rather the Italian City States. However the balance of power in Northern Italy is represented now by portraying the wealthy Pisan and now also Genoese families in nominal power of the faction. Under wise and aggressive guidance, these starting city-states have the ability to expand into a real mighty Italian faction, encompassing all of Northern Italy by ruling the Italian City States including the Papal States and possibly beyond.\n\nHaving been a fiercely contested part of the known world, with various tribes and empires over time, laying claim to the soil. Pisa itself has over many years, had been forced to fight for mere survival against a host of enemies: Goths, Lombards, Greeks, Frankish and Imperial forces. All these peoples have at one time or another, vied for outright control of Northern Italy in a host of bloody and vain battles, yet no-one has not been strong enough to fully gain undisputed control. These various wars have made the Pisans and Genoese themselves handy fighters and effective warriors. Available to the city-states is a host of effective Italian knights, archers, crossbowmen and professional men-at-arms.\n\nHistorically at the time after the battle of Manzikert the Viscomte of Pisa and his domains of the Marche di Tuscia acts as the protector of the Pope. His men and knights are the actual warriors of the seat of St. Peter in its struggle against the imperial Germany. Later the Commune di Pisa took a pro imperial stance (the Ghibellines) against the papist communes of Genoa and Cremona (the Guelphs) - however the ladder competition between the Pisans and Genoese can't be reflected in this campaign.\n\nThe Po Valley agriculturally rich, the mountains of the lower Alps and the Apennines contain a wealth of resources, all within reach of a powerful Pisan ruler. This has brought much attention to the prying eyes of jealous neighbours, which is one of these city-states most perilous weaknesses, in that it is surrounded by strong independent city-states and even more powerful factions. The main strength is its naval trade, being a naval safe haven, it is favoured as a trading hub and many merchants and traders from far and wide call the city home.

{CRUSADER_EPOCHE_ROMANS_SCIPII_TITLE}Leon-Castile
    {CRUSADER_EPOCHE_ROMANS_SCIPII_DESCR}
    Campaign difficulty should be expected as:\n- Medium -\n\nOriginally an eastern county of the Kingdom of Leon, Castile became independent in the 11th century. Its primary occupation for the next 400 years was the ‘Reconquista’, the retaking of Spain from the Muslims. Castile is devoutly Catholic and it has been said that Castile was a society organised for war.\n\nCastile is surrounded by allied Spanish states which you will need to gain control of, your territories take up most of north western Spain. Portugal under muslim control and the Moors are to the south, to the north France. The Moors are your main enemy but France may become one if you are not careful.\n\nCastile’s army was one that rewarded in the forms of tax exemptions and a division of the spoils. Many of her lords also fought out of a sense of duty.\n\nKnights are a feature of Castile’s military and so are good light scout cavalry on very swift horses. Town Militia are one of the keys to the Christian success at holding the ground it takes and will most likely form the bulk of your army, besides European mercenaries.\n\nSpanish Military Orders are available in the late stages of this Era providing a good source of determined well trained Knights.\n\nYou may also be lucky enough to have adventuring Crusaders hire their services to you at moderate cost.\n\nIronically Castile often hired Muslims serving as Mercenaries or Muslim Auxiliaries. These include units such as Berber Light Cavalry which gave their name to the Spanish version called 'Jinetes'.\n\nCastile historically was the Spanish State that arguably played the largest part in the reconquest of Spain from the various Muslim factions. Convert the whole of Spain to Christianity and you will have achieved Castile’s ultimate goal.

{CRUSADER_EPOCHE_ROMANS_SENATE_TITLE}Bohemia
    {CRUSADER_EPOCHE_ROMANS_SENATE_DESCR}
    Campaign difficulty should be expected as:\n- Very Hard -\n\nBohemia got its name from the Celtic Boii tribe, who inhabited the region from around the 4th Century BC. They were later displaced by Germanic tribes, and then again in the 6th Century AD when the Slavs arrived.\n\nBy 1041 Bohemia had fully emerged from its tribal Slavic origins and formed a state that was recognised as a duchy. Although Bohemia is mostly independent of the Holy Roman Empire, sovereignty is still fought over as the german emperors viewed it as a vassal state of their Empire.\n\nPlaying Bohemia, in the beginning one of the smallest and weakest factions of the game, is quite hard. Prague is one of the biggest and wealthiest cities all around but you hold only two provinces – aside from Cechy, only Moravia is on your side.In addition, the duchy is surrounded by the mighty states of Poland, Hungary and last but not least, the Holy Roman Empire. Your first step may be the capturing of Luzica (historically, the dukes of Bohemia ruled it by the end of the 11th century) and after this keep your eyes peeled! \n\nCarefully watch the situation in the German provinces, and when they get weaker (or better - turn into anarchy) attack! However, you will start as an ally of the Empire and it might not be profitable to further expand into their territories, unless of course you want to fight off this superpower as well as dealing with possible agressions from the hostile Hungary and Poland. If it is possible to ally with one of the other Central European powers the situation may change...\n\nBut to hell with ideals, if you want to be succesfull, you have to revalue relations with the surrounding factions every second year. Exaggerated polictics, nethertheless, could also be the way to your downfall, so choose your steps carefully and wisely. Historical rulers of Bohemia did so, and they soon became famous kings. What about you?

...shortened...

{CRUSADER_EPOCHE_DACIA_TITLE}Norman Sicily
    {CRUSADER_EPOCHE_DACIA_DESCR}
    Campaign difficulty should be expected as:\n- Medium -\n\nThis time period sees Sicily a ravaged and war torn place prone not only to petty squabbling but Invasion and civil war. At the beginning of this era Sicily was under Muslim control but a long campaign has started in 1041, leaving most of Sicily in Roger I of Normandy’s control. The official religion is Catholic but many of the population still follows the Islam.\n\nSicily is located directly below the Italian boot. You do not yet control all of it as the southern part is still under Muslim control. However at this time the Normans also had holdings in Southern Italy and thus you control provinces on the Italian boot. Sicilian lands are dry but fertile, with volcanic mountains and a focus on the sea for trade as a source of income.\n\nTheir have been decades of fighting and Norman Sicily is still divided and prone to rebellion so watch your generals and your back. To the south are the Muslims, from the west, Aragon or the Moors might have plans with your regions, to the north the Holy Roman Empire will have attempts for ruling whole Italy, in-between are the Italians ruled by Pisa. The East contains the still mighty Byzantine Empire. One goal will be to go on a crusade led by Boemundo d'Altavilla, or also known as Bohemund of Tarent, and to conquer Antioch in the tradition of a real Norman adventurer.\n\nYour greatest weakness lies in the fact that your lands are small, split and isolated. You will likely need good neighbouring allies. Piracy is also a very real danger during this period. Many smaller invasions made by Muslim pirates carried off or killed entire populations.\n\nThe great strength of Sicily is the variety of troops that may be raised due to the mixing of Eastern and Western cultures, not only do you have Norman Knights, Crossbowmen and Christian style infantry but also units such as Muslim Horse Archers and Saracen infantry.\n\nHistorically the Normans took the rest of the island from Muslim control and even encroached into Tunisia to the south. Historically, near the end of the period however the Germans wrest Sicily and Southern Italy from the Normans ...

Copy the complete part where CRUSADER_EPOCHE is in the clamps.
    Add this copy at the end of the file.
    Now change all the parts where is now CRUSADER_EPOCHE to FCRC, example:

{CRUSADER_EPOCHE}Additional Campaign
    {CRUSADER_EPOCHE_TITLE}The Crusader Epoche

{CRUSADER_EPOCHE_ROMANS_JULII_TITLE}Italian City States
    {CRUSADER_EPOCHE_ROMANS_JULII_DESCR}
    to

{FCRC}Additional Campaign Two
    {FCRC_TITLE}The Fall of the Cross the Rise of the Crescent

{FCRC_ROMANS_JULII_TITLE}Italian City States
    {FCRC_ROMANS_JULII_DESCR}
    and so on

Later you can change the faction names and the descriptive text.

Anyway, now it should work that you have a new provincial campaign added, and should appear in the menu after dropping Additional Campaign.

Alternative, if this all sounds too confus, then you can do the following:
    Add here the map files (as attachment) you changed in the camp folder (with a short description what you did that i know your changes) and i provide the rest tasks to get the new provincial campaign running.
    Last edited by DaVinci; April 07, 2009 at 11:13 AM.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast