Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The Greek Wars

Default Re: The Greek Wars

is it just me or there wasn't any fixed tgw script in the patch? it remained the same, and also the of characters aging one turn per year is still there...

Reload the patch. Sel forgot to change it

He forgot to change it twice actually

One of the TGW team...
    I just do whatever needs doing! Sel does most of the work

got it, trying it now..

Garrigan's Avatar Domesticus

Borrowing units from Hegemonia is a fair idea (with their permission obviously).

I believe they brainstormed an idea of cities with Acropolis', but Im not sure if it ever came to fruition. If it did/does, that might be a good inclusion.

We'll see.

Once known as Kasey| Hoplite for The Greek Wars Mod

Quote Originally Posted by KingLarsofMars View Post
    Reload the patch. Sel forgot to change it

He forgot to change it twice actually
    Yeah, sorry about that...
    I checked filefront and it wrote that the patch had only been downloaded once (and I was pretty sure it was Lars) so I re-uploaded the patch, including the corrected file, and didn't change the version number.

The problem with using Hegemonia units (aside from the fact that it's not a released mod, so they may be saving them for their grand release) is that they are designed for circa 500BC, while TGW takes place in the 350s-340s BC. Believe it or not, a lot of changes in the ways Greeks fought and armed themselves took place during the intervening 150 years, so in most cases the Hegemonia units wouldn't be more realistic than the ones currently in use (although they would be more pleasing to the eye, at least for most people).

if it helps, i can make UI cards when you want'em
    Click on my sig and check out my modelling works! Your opinion is welcome!

now it works...excellent work! keep on!!

Quote Originally Posted by Seleucos of Olympia View Post
    The problem with using Hegemonia units (aside from the fact that it's not a released mod, so they may be saving them for their grand release) is that they are designed for circa 500BC, while TGW takes place in the 350s-340s BC. Believe it or not, a lot of changes in the ways Greeks fought and armed themselves took place during the intervening 150 years, so in most cases the Hegemonia units wouldn't be more realistic than the ones currently in use (although they would be more pleasing to the eye, at least for most people).
    Check out our previews and if you find several units that suits to TGW period don't hesitate to ask

Have you also checked the TWC download section for greek units?

Garrigan's Avatar Domesticus

hmm..not sure we should follow the advice of someone who's only working on 16 mods!

EDIT: Just took a look at your Sparta preview. Those units are beautiful.
    Last edited by Garrigan; March 10, 2009 at 01:26 PM.

Once known as Kasey| Hoplite for The Greek Wars Mod

anychance of more varied unit rosters? btw great mod, the campaign as sparta was too easy, might try as achae or a smaller kingdom

Finch's Avatar is Deadpool
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    hmm..not sure we should follow the advice of someone who's only working on 16 mods!

EDIT: Just took a look at your Sparta preview. Those units are beautiful.
    that's 17 plus mods

Quote Originally Posted by Seleucos of Olympia View Post
    Yeah, sorry about that...
    I checked filefront and it wrote that the patch had only been downloaded once (and I was pretty sure it was Lars) so I re-uploaded the patch, including the corrected file, and didn't change the version number. .

Yeah I think that was me

One of the TGW team...

Templar Hospitaller's Avatar Miles

This is amazing. I love you guys so much. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
    Patton Jr. - "Rommel... you magnificent bastard, *I read your book*!"
    Patton Jr. - "Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Indefinitely Banned

you should borrow units from xgmd they are cool you know but ask permission first

Quote Originally Posted by Mithril View Post
    you should borrow units from xgmd they are cool you know but ask permission first
    Thats what we're doing when we get a chance. Hoplites are based off some of those skins if I'm correct...

One of the TGW team...

Quote Originally Posted by Conqistador View Post
    if it helps, i can make UI cards when you want'em
    That would be cool. Can we see some of your work?

Viva la Defenestrate!

I came up with this idea: instead of having a spartan family tree where no one has a surname and where all the family members are descendants of a single man, why not having a family tree split into two main rows (Agiads and Europontids) like it was in reality?

So I took the liberty to create this mini mod, in which there is one 90-years old character, Athainaikos, with two daughters. One daughter is married with the Europontid, the other with the Agiad, and each of them has sons with his surname, creating two dynastic rows.

Athainaikos has been positioned near Naupactos and Sparta has been set at war with non-aligned poleis, so that the Naupactian army automatically attacks him at the end of the first turn. To assure his death, all command traits have been removed from him. It’s a trick, I know...but at least he dies in battle!!

From the second turn one can have two separate family rows, the only bad point being that one of the two “kings” will always be considered as faction leader and the other as heir…

This mini mod is meant that you always have the leader belonging to one family row, and the heir belonging to the other row. It should also be the oldest of that row, even if his sons have more battle stars or management skills. If other characters are adopted, they should be considered as simple generals, and never being set as heirs.

If anyone wants to try this, here’s a small .rar file that must be extracted into the tgw\data folder. Make a backup of all the modified files first!!

-tgw\data\descr_names.txt
    -tgw\data\descr_names_lookup.txt
    -tgw\data\text\names.txt
    -tgw\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign \descr_strat.txt
    Last edited by Spartan 666; March 14, 2009 at 11:15 AM.

Can you upload the install again? Keeps hangin at 50% then get an error and dl stops. Happend 5 times at 18.2/36.4

I uploaded the full 0.95 version here:
    http://files.filefront.com/TGW+0+95Z.../fileinfo.html
    I'll update the first page.

It's nice to see a more historical minimod, Spartan 666! Have you used the historical names for the two kings (Archidamos and Kleomenes)?

I'll look into the Hegemonia units when I get the time to do it properly. I have seen all the previews (I've been following Hegemonia's progress ever since December 2005), but I'll have to refresh my memory. An issue is that although there may be some excellent models/skins for some factions, I would like all factions to have aesthetically compatible units (not really good ones for some factions and poorly done ones, i.e. mine, for others), so it would take a considerable amount of time and work to implement it properly.
    I've already based most of my units on XGM's models/skins, and the Athenian/Achaean/Eleian hoplites and elite hoplites are variations on XGM's Athenian hoplites. Most of the other units are meant to be historically correct for the Hellenistic Age, when XGM is set, so using them for TGW wouldn't be very prudent.

I think the skins and unit rosters are just fine. One thing - are the Sicyonian hoplites supposed to carry an M on their shields, instead of their faction symbol?

And Megara and maybe the Achaeans could use an additional settlement, they tend to get slaughtered very early on.
    A big THANKS to all Total War modders

Visitor13 came to TWC for the wafers