Thread: [SS AAR] Basileia ton Romaion, The rebirth or the final struggle of an empire

Flavius.Aetius's Avatar Foederatus

Default [SS AAR] Basileia ton Romaion, The rebirth or the final struggle of an empire

Hello everybody! I new to the TW forums, registered at leas but i have been monitoring the great mods made for the latest CA creation.

I intend to start and finish an my very own first AAR using Stainless Steel great mod, with latest addons RR/RR/BFTB/BGRIV. (Great job guys! Keep up the good work as you have made a lots of TW fans happy.)

The chosen faction is Basileia ton Romaion, mainly because it presents great oportunities and also great dangers, being in between the two worlds, the christians and the muslims.

Wish me good luck and I hope you will enjoy this.

Default Re: [SS AAR] Basileia ton Romaion, The rebirth or the final struggle of an empire

sounds good, you might want to change the thread name, as there is already a (very successful) AAR with the same name, it may be confusing. i for one thought they had started a new chapter when i saw this!

love to see how you get on though.

Rich

Default Re: [SS AAR] Basileia ton Romaion, The rebirth or the final struggle of an empire

Prologue

The Byzantine Empire faced once more with the dangers of extinction after the fall of Constatinopole in 1204 to the Latin crusaders.
    The Latin aggression of the fouth crusade brought the empire to several regions Nicaea, Trebizond and Epirus who fought back for independence.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The new Basileus Ioannis Vatatzis, the husband of Ireni Laskaris, daughter of the former Basileus Theodoros Laskaris managed to unite the Despotate of Epirus through the Doukas family and the Empire of Trebizond through the Komnenos family.

Ioannis Vatatzis, with roots from a noble military family, a successfull commander and administrator, bachelor of arts, cultured and intelligent, a true Basileus in this time of need.

The Doukas, a noble and influential family, descended from a cousin of the roman emperor Constantine I, that supplied several rulers to the Byzantine Empire.

The Komnenos, another noble family and an important ruling of Dinasty of the Byzantine Empire.

At his right side and the heir to the throne was his young son Theodoros Laskaris.

Theodoros , the only son of the Basileus Ioannis, showed military inclinations, talent for command and although inexperienced he might be a great addition for his fathers plans and for Byzantium as a succesor Basileus.

News came to the Basileus about an invasion from Mongolia, led by a fierce warlord name Ghenghis Khan ahead of an unstoppable horde. Although Basileus Ioannis was too worried about the news, he saw this as an opportunity to begin a campaign to recapture the byzantine lands from the west, meanwhile the Sejluk Turks dealing with this new threat.

The Basileus's dream now was to restore the Empire to its former glory and to recapture the Constantinopole from the treacherous Latin invaders, but the diplomatic stances of the empire was in a dire need for negotiations for peace, as the Basileus found himself in war on multiple fronts.

Will he live to see his dream come true or die on the field of battle, in a final struggle of an once glorious empire, passing the legacy to his sons and/or grandsons?

To be continued...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard of Crewe View Post
    sounds good, you might want to change the thread name, as there is already a (very successful) AAR with the same name, it may be confusing. i for one thought they had started a new chapter when i saw this!

love to see how you get on though.
    Rich
    Although I'm glad I got a reply even before I could post anything consistent on my AAR, I couldn't find the thread with the same name, probably your are referring to "Basileia ton Romaion" wich is translated from latin "Empire of Romans".

Soon I will post the first chapter of my AAR. Hope you will enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flavius.Aetius View Post
    Although I'm glad I got a reply even before I could post anything consistent on my AAR, I couldn't find the thread with the same name, probably your are referring to "Basileia ton Romaion" wich is translated from latin "Empire of Romans".

Soon I will post the first chapter of my AAR. Hope you will enjoy it.
    Not Latin, Greek.

Chapter I

1220 - 1225

1220 - 1222

Between 1220 and 1222 the Basileus issued military recruitment and urban development policies that sent the treasury into the red zone (debt), and Ioannis saw himself in a position to tax his nobles.

The starting positions in diplomacy looked grim, lots of enemies and no alliances.

Year 1222 had seen a lot of dangers ahead, including the fall of Khiva, capital of the Khwarezmian Empire to the mongol invasion and the death of Khwarezmian Shah. Also in the same year an army of the Sejluk Sultanate has been spoted near Nicaea forcing the Basileus to commit his troops to the capital.

Mongols Invade!

The fall of the Khwarezmian capital and the death of the Shah.

Nicaea threatened by an incursion of the Sejluk Sultanate.

Basileus Ioannis sent his son to assist Ioannis Dukas in capture of Iraklion from the venetian scum. Ill defended city of Iraklion fell easily at the arrival of Diadohos Theodoros and his small contingent of professional troops. The battle was fought outside the city while the garrison had beed besieged by Ioannis Doukas, preventing reinforcements from the city but also allowing the venetian general to retreat to the ships.
    Diadohos Theodoros proved himself in battle as a good commander and joined the ranks of veteran warriors.

Home, from the walls of the capital of the new Byzantine Empire, Basileus Ioannis prepared his soldiers for the battle ahead. As soon as the Seljuk army was setting the camp outside the capital, the Basileus ordered his men on an nocturnal onslaught of the barbarian turks. This was a major victory for the empire, much needed since the treasury could not support any recruitment of any sort.

The battle marked a dark day for the Seljuk Sultanat and resulted in the death of their great commander Cem Aydinoglu. Basileus Ioannis saw himself in the position to request a ransom for the prisoners taken, due to the grim situation in the treasury. The sultan accepted the ransom and now Basileus could hope to replace the brave men lost on the battlefield.

The same year, after the battle near Nicaea, another army arrived at Sinop and began preparations for besiegeing the city. In his help, Aleksios Komnenos sailed in a hurry with only a company of scoutati proffessionals.

Aleksios Komnenos arived at Sinop, to the aid of David Komnenos, and drove away the besiegers in a clear victory, resuming the commerce of the honest romans.

Meanwhile, Diadohos Theodoros assaulted Iraklion and scored another victory into his military carrer. Iraklion was now a Byzantine territory and an important city of trade.

Bad news arrived from Durrazo. The sicillian vespes declared themselves enemies of the empire. Another one to the grand list of aggressors. A scouting party began preparations for the siege of Durrazo where commander of the garrison was another member of the Doukas family, Theodoros Doukas.

More dangers to come, another army of the Seljuk Sultanate was spotted near Nicaea, after only a year since the onslaught. This army, smaller in numbers and of lower quality, probably had been sent to assist Cem Aydinoglu in his transgression, but Basileus Ioannis wasn't going to stand and see his lands plundered. No more. Soon Basileus prepared his troops and met the turks at night in their encampment. Another onslaught for the turkish army began, this time even more aggressive.

The year hadn't passed and Theodoros Doukas saw himself in a full assault of the city of Durrazo by the sicillians. He prepared his men for a battle in the streets, splitting his troops and allowing himself to maneuver more easily and rout the invaders.
    A heroic victory for this natural commander, a proud member of the Doukas family.

The year 1225 started with news from the west, the Papal Inquisition, the development of the mounted crossbow, and the request from the clergy for sponsoring the construction of the Theologians Guild.

There were bad news, from the east, the turks began siege on Trebizond castle and another on Sinop, the latter not being in a major danger since the besieging army was small in numbers, but also good news like fluorishing economy and a massive increase in treasury.

Last edited by Flavius.Aetius; February 27, 2009 at 04:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly Rabbit View Post
    Not Latin, Greek.
    True true. My mistake.
    Now that I have posted the first part of the AAR a would appreciate any suggestions on how to improve it. I realize there are a lot of information in a short period of time from my campaign, but i wanted to show the dangers from the start of the game and first battles. After this, the small, easy battles would be dissmissed since it requires a lot of attentions and work.

Feel free to comment.

Foederatus

I think it was a good start.

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Nice start! Your writing is nice, conscise and descriptive. Personally i'd remove the spoilers because it sometimes makes it a bit annoying to read, but some people prefer them.

As for the thread title, there is indeed another AAR on the frontpage that uses "Basilieia ton Romaion" at the start of the title. However, since the titles only have the first three words the same, I don't see any problem.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

nice update + rep
    (soldier) King Richard, King Philp we have news from king Frederick Barbarossa..
    (Richard) Did he say how long until he meets us?
    (soldier) No sir he died crossing the Saleph River
    (Philp) Isnt that like only 3 feet deep?:hmmm:
    (Soldier) Yes sire
    (Richard) Where Doomed he has 100.000 men Half are armie

Epic Pwnage
    And failure of the third crusade?
    +REP ANY ONE (leave your name and ill rep you back)

Kallum's Avatar I win, you lose!
    Somewhere behind a desk, following the world from behind the save glowing screen that is my desktop

indeed nice start! looking forward to the next update don't mind the spoilers though
    Carl von Dobeln's son
    How it all began
    Author of the Basileia ton Romaion Series book 1, 2, 3
    The work has been done, the trilogy is completed or has it?

Yep, very well written. Lots of screenshots, which is awesome. Would love to see plenty of updates of the strat-map, and developments diplomatically.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

A small advice...Build "Merceants Guild" in the majority of your cities...
    If this mod follows BtR way of reqruitment Gasmuli will be available to you!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Chapter I

episode II

1225 - 1232

Good news arrived from the east. The general of the eastern forces, Aleksios Komnenos, arrived at Trebizond and engaged the turks in an open battle outside the castle. The odds were good and the battle resulted in a clear victory, but Sinop was still under siege.

At home, Basileus Ioannis received a diplomat from The Grand Principality of Kiev. The meeting was a success. From now not only religion, but also peace and trade would unite the people of the two empires.

In the east, the mercenaries sent broke off the siege of Sinop assisted by David Komnenos and its garrison.

News from west announced an alliance between The crown of Aragon and Kingdom of Portugal, with little importance to Basileus and his people.

News from Judeea arrived. The diplomat sent there, for a small fee secured a trading agreement with the Kingdom of Jerusalem, improving this way relations with the christians.

Crete. Near the city of Iraklion a force of the great Egiptian Caliphate landed on the beaches, equiped with catapults and ballistas. Diadohos Theodoros fearing and iminent siege of the city and enemy reinforcements arriving soon gathered his forces and scattered the egiptians back to their boats. Soon after a fleet of Fireships sunk the egiptian dhows along with their invasion force.

1227-1230

These years were marked by a serious diplomatic news, some good, others bad or of little importance.

In 1227, The Holy Roman Empire was now at war with The Kingdom of Norway. It was a short lived war and truce came two years later and was replaced with another short lived war with The Kingdom of England, as it lasted only one year.

In the east, the news about a truce between The Kingdom of Jerusalem and The Seljuk Sultanate troubled the Basileus. This would mean a concentration of turk forces upon his people.

In 1228, another encounter between the Byzantine Fireships and Egiptians Dhows, with devastating effects for the Caliphate as another invasion force was drowned offcoast Crete, forced the hand of the Caliph to sign a humiliating truce and trade agreement.

Between 1227-1228, other cease hostilities and trade agreements were signed with The Republic of Genoa, The Kingdom of Sicily and even The Papal States. The situation looked good in the west and allowed the Basileus to prepare its forces for a military campaign in the east, against the turks.

A letter was sent by Basileus to his son in Crete, prior to leaving the capital Nicaea ahead of his army, on the campaign against the turks.

Dear son and heir to throne,

The news of truce in the west allowed me to raise an army for a military campaign against the Sultanate. Far too long the turks have pillaged and besieged our territories in the east. Only the genius of the Komnenos generals with the god's blessing saved us from a disaster.

By the time you will read this letter I will be on my way into the heart of Anatolia. I will not stop until either I'm dead or into Iconium, the capital of turks.

I urge leave for Nicaea as soon as possible, as if I would to perish on this dreadful quest, you are to take on my legacy and defend the proud and noble people of our empire from any dangers that lie ahead.

May god bless us all and save from damnation,
    Your father and Basileus, Ioannis Vatatzis

1231 - 1232

Diplomatic news arrived of new wars broken out. In the east The Egiptian Caliphate declared war on The Kingdom of Jerusalem in 1231 and in the west The Holy Roman Empire were at war with The Kingdom of Denmark in 1232.

In spring on the eastern province of Trebizond an army began the siege of the castle. Aleksios Komnenos seeing himself vastly outnumbered from both sides, decided to wait and prepare his troops for the assault.

Mid-summer 1232. Scouts of the army lead by Basileus Ioannis spotted turkish forces approaching their camp from three sides, surrounding it against the rivers Sayanara.

The sultan sent his two sons and great generals, Ali al Din and Rukn al Din. They were leading an army of feared turkish cavalry archers and ottoman infantry, known as remarkable archers and an opponent not to be thrilled with.

Ali al Din, the older son of the sultan ahead of feared Turkoman Cavalry and Ottoman infantry.

Rukn al-Din, the youngest son, accompanied also by the venerable Sipahi Lancers.

And other turkish forces.

Calm and confident out beloved general gathered his army on the battlefield before the arrival of his enemies.

On the left flank positioned the byzantine cavalry, Stratiotae, armed with heavy spears, swords and good quality armor.

The right flank was covered by mercenary cavalry recruited for his campaign. The Armenian Cavalry a heavy cavalry equipped with lance and heavy mail and Alan Light Cavalry hardy horsemen from the steppes of Eastern Europe and the Black Sea, equipped with spears and light mail.

The center comprised of Mourtatoi archers, sons of the turkish settlers within empire skilled in the art of archery, the famous Varangian Guards, superbly skilled warriors with two-handed axes and a insatious thrist for blood, the Scoutatoi, standard line infantry of the Byzantines equipped with large shields and swords or spears, and other militia type javelineers, archers and spearmen.

In front of his army, Basileus Ioannis started his speech before the battle ahead.

I, Basileus Ioannis,
    Emperor of our late Byzantine Empire,

Address you, proud and noble citizens and warriors before we meet our destiny in these fields and may god bless us and make them our fields of glory.
    Far too long our enemies pillaged and besieged our cities and towns. From now on, we will show no fear in front of our enemies and by the end of this day, either we will be victorious or dead on this dreadful day.
    We have a divine duty to fulfill, and that is to defend our homes and families, and once more to make our empire great.
    To arms my proud and noble warriors.

Will Basileus be glorious? or die before would see his dream of recapture the Constantinople come true?
    Last edited by Flavius.Aetius; March 02, 2009 at 05:20 PM.

Thank you all for the comments. The next update will be in a few days. There are a lot of screenshots that need to be sorted and story to be told. I hope you will enjoy this as I do.

A small advice...Build "Merceants Guild" in the majority of your cities...
    If this mod follows BtR way of reqruitment Gasmuli will be available to you!
    I don't know about this, there are mercenary buildings but are too expensive in this stage of the campaign. A mercenary unit of Armenian Cavalry, Latinikon or Skytikon has an upkeep between 500 and 750 per turn, plus other additional cost due to BGR IV (warcouncil members and non warcouncil members).

Nice start! Your writing is nice, conscise and descriptive. Personally i'd remove the spoilers because it sometimes makes it a bit annoying to read, but some people prefer them.
    I am in doubt about spoilers but we will see on next update.

Jwb187's Avatar Semisalis

this looks great

Quote Originally Posted by Flavius.Aetius View Post
    Thank you all for the comments. The next update will be in a few days. There are a lot of screenshots that need to be sorted and story to be told. I hope you will enjoy this as I do.

I don't know about this, there are mercenary buildings but are too expensive in this stage of the campaign. A mercenary unit of Armenian Cavalry, Latinikon or Skytikon has an upkeep between 500 and 750 per turn, plus other additional cost due to BGR IV (warcouncil members and non warcouncil members).

I am in doubt about spoilers but we will see on next update.

I think Anthonius meant Merchants guild, it allows you to build Gasmuli, who are very handy Crossbowman. I hear what your saying about the Hetarioi recruitment posts, but despite their High upkeep, Scythicon are the "ne plus ultra" of horse archers.

I like the spoilers personally, your format is good.

You're doing a very good job. Nice campaign game. Hope you win!

Really?