Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discipline troops?

Default Discipline troops?

What are the effects when your troops are disciplined?

Senator
    Clinging tenaciously to my guns and bibles.

Default Re: Discipline troops?

They respond to your Generals orders easier and faster. They also have higher morale thus are harder to make rout. I hate how the undisciplined longbowmen of the early English campaign uncontrollably run when anything comes near them. Its impossible to make them stay in formation.

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Noir View Post
    They respond to your Generals orders easier and faster. They also have higher morale thus are harder to make rout. I hate how the undisciplined longbowmen of the early English campaign uncontrollably run when anything comes near them. Its impossible to make them stay in formation.
    Turn off the sword thing at your low right. It tells them to avoid people so they run whenever an enemy is close to them.

Turn off the sword thing at your low right.
    Its called Skirmish. And its much better to leave it on in most situations. They dont actually run away. They just reposition and start firing again which is what u want. Turning skirmish off makes them enter melee with anything that engages them which means dead archers.

Just place them behind your infantry once the enemy engage turn off fire at will and stop there orders and reposition them on the flanks and start firing again. Advantage of the longbow is they dont have to be infront of your infantry and still outrange the other archers.

And like i said above they dont nessecerily run away just getting out of the danger zone so they can refire. The only time u dont want them to run away is if they are your only remaining units or they are charged by other archers.

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Wizav85 View Post
    Its called Skirmish. And its much better to leave it on in most situations. They dont actually run away. They just reposition and start firing again which is what u want. Turning skirmish off makes them enter melee with anything that engages them which means dead archers.

Just place them behind your infantry once the enemy engage turn off fire at will and stop there orders and reposition them on the flanks and start firing again. Advantage of the longbow is they dont have to be infront of your infantry and still outrange the other archers.

And like i said above they dont nessecerily run away just getting out of the danger zone so they can refire. The only time u dont want them to run away is if they are your only remaining units or they are charged by other archers.
    I just answered why they ran away. I'm not dumb enough to actually take skirmish off. Thank you for reminding me what the name was.

I just answered why they ran away. I'm not dumb enough to actually take skirmish off
    I didnt mean it like that dude was just explaining its better in general for the OP sorry if you misunderstood

Civis

I didnt mean it like that dude was just explaining its better in general for the OP sorry if you misunderstood
    No worries, i'm just stating that i'm not dumb enough to take it off.

Well... I have to say that it is far from dumb to remove it.
    I rather be able to control my archers than having them run around in directions and in formations I don't want!

i tend to place my archers in front of my infantry line and when trouble comes i just make my infantry advance through the archers as they pull back and to the flanks while the infantry takes the bulk of the assault and keeps the enemies pinned. i rarely use skirmish
    Its not the one with youre name on it, its the one addressed to whom this may concern you have to worry about

The Most Serene Republic - Genoa AAR (SS)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=183877

La Couronne de Charlemagne - French AAR (SS)
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=199284

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

I very, very rarely keep skirmish on. I always screen my archers behind infantry so I don't want them running away when they're quite safe where they are. I want them right where they are firing arrows at the enemy, not running away from them

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Civis

It depends on the situation i am in. I tend to keep it on when they are infront of my infantry and off when they are behind. I usually make the archers run behind the infantry instead of the infantry advancing. Better to let them stay bracing themselves for an attack then just rush in. (All depends on the situation)

I very, very rarely keep skirmish on. I always screen my archers behind infantry so I don't want them running away when they're quite safe where they are. I want them right where they are firing arrows at the enemy, not running away from them
    Dosent that give you alot of Friendly fire casulties? I do agree that skirmish isnt that usefull in that situation though. I always replace my Archers at the flanks once my infantry engages and skirmish imo rocks in that situation.

Put your archers on the flank with skirmish on and see what happens. General almost always charges for one of the archer units and they run back but the general follows which allows all of your other archers to fire into his back at close range and he dies in seconds.

this works great against pike heavy factions such as scotland. They ussualy always send there pike's in last so what i do is target them with my archers on the flanks and the pikes will begin to just chase a unit of archers but never actually reaches them. While all the others continue shooting then will charge directly and another archer unit will start running.

During deployment i always start my archers in the position i plan to move them later and create stakes. Then when the battle starts ill move the, back behind my infantry. When its time to move them to the flanks i already have a nice row a stakes there waiting for me. Put skirmish on and i dont have to worry about that flank for the rest of the battle

To be honest a lot of what could be great about the battles is lost due to the ability to constantly pause, organise, pause, shuffle, etc etc, hence why skirimish isnt much use single player because you can do it yourself a lot better.
    Multi-player on the other hand with no pause means that it's pretty much essential unless you're lightning fast.

Speaking of which, does anyone fancy a Hanachi game of Stainless Steel?

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by DeusVolt View Post
    To be honest a lot of what could be great about the battles is lost due to the ability to constantly pause, organise, pause, shuffle, etc etc, hence why skirimish isnt much use single player because you can do it yourself a lot better.
    Multi-player on the other hand with no pause means that it's pretty much essential unless you're lightning fast.

Speaking of which, does anyone fancy a Hanachi game of Stainless Steel?
    Me and my buddies play over hamachi, but on single player i never use the pause button. I find it unrealistic. Like: Oh, hey! I can pause a battle.

Its not fair against the AI. I never have any need to use pause either.

Mind if I get in on some games then? I'm not exactly a pro at M2TW but I can give a bloody nsoe or two
    Yet to sink my teeth into SS though

You could argue that pause is the fact that most amies had a battle plan.

As in : Archers fire, then fall back behind the lines IN A ORDERLY FASHION whenever the ennemy is comming close. Skirmish on = disorderly.

Also that order to many groups could be given and be expected to be followed. Like : a line moving straight ahead and not just attacking one unit. Having to click to attack each and every single groups is painfull to do in the heat of battle.

So no, I don't find pause to be unrealistic

Icon3 Re: Discipline troops?

I would find the game a lot more 'realistic' if you couldn't give your troops such precise orders, as back in the day people were using pre-determined tacitcs, as you said, but also flags, banners, trumpets to co-ordinate their plans.
    It was impossible to accurately give orders, the best being by word of mouth sent by runners on horseback. Of course these could be intercepted.
    Also in the midst of the clang of steel on steel, the screams of the dying, the blood spraying in your eyes it was probably pretty hard to look over your shoulder and say oh it's that flag for this tactic, or hear a trumpet call.

I think we can all agree though, those warriors of old were absolutely amazing, and God it must've been one of the most horrific but inspiring sights ever to grace the face of the Earth - thousands of men clashing, rivers runnign red with blood, whole landscapes pillaged bare.

Deus Volt.

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by nostradamouse View Post
    You could argue that pause is the fact that most amies had a battle plan.

As in : Archers fire, then fall back behind the lines IN A ORDERLY FASHION whenever the ennemy is comming close. Skirmish on = disorderly.

Also that order to many groups could be given and be expected to be followed. Like : a line moving straight ahead and not just attacking one unit. Having to click to attack each and every single groups is painfull to do in the heat of battle.

So no, I don't find pause to be unrealistic
    I do that every battle and i do fairly well everytime. Heroic victory after the other. The pause button should not exist. No offense to anyone, but thats my opinion.

In a battle you need good reaction to command your troops effectively. Which seems more realistic than pausing the game to give every troop the "perfect" command.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Dosent that give you alot of Friendly fire casulties?
    No because I micro-manage their targets and what they're firing at. I also turn off fire-at-will so they dont fire at stuff I don't want them to.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Caesar Clivus View Post
    No because I micro-manage their targets and what they're firing at. I also turn off fire-at-will so they dont fire at stuff I don't want them to.
    I immediatly turn fire at will off the moment the enemy is to close which would end up in friendly fire if i let them continue. How do you usually move them around after that? Flank them if they are safe enough or maybe step back and wait for a opening?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast