Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Bug reports for v3.4

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

Default Bug reports for v3.4

If you find any errors, please post them here. ADVthanksANCE.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

Default Re: Bug reports for v3.4

I get a CTD when the Sarmatians (human and cpu both) try to move units out of Campus Sauromatae, Campus Alani and one other that I didn't write down. Splitting standing armies in-field is no problem.

Also, when starting campaign and choosing a faction, the mini-map does not represent correctly the starting regions of all factions.
    It would be nice if there was a changelog file in the release.
    Until 3.5, why not make Pergamon rebel?
    When we introduce superfactions we'll have to decide which nomads to keep as playable - Sarmatians, Scythians or Sakae.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana...

Quote Originally Posted by Iskandar View Post
    I get a CTD when the Sarmatians (human and cpu both) try to move units out of Campus Sauromatae, Campus Alani and one other that I didn't write down. Splitting standing armies in-field is no problem.

Also, when starting campaign and choosing a faction, the mini-map does not represent correctly the starting regions of all factions.
    When we introduce superfactions we'll have to decide which nomads to keep as playable - Sarmatians, Scythians or Sakae.
    I didn't have that problem at Campus Alanni, but I did at Campus Sauromatae, and only when I tried to remove both units. Good catch. WTF? I need to go to work, but I'll put a note about that on the download section.

The minimaps aren't right? Which ones? I tried to update them with the changes I made. Oh, wait, I think Sarmatia might be wrong because I couldn't figure out how to color the new area in without erasing other stuff.

There is a changelog file, in the Docs folder.

Making Pergamon rebel is a good idea. I'll do that for the next hotfix.

Good point. I'm leaning toward the Sarmatians, but what do you think?
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

Tried again at Campus Alani, horsemen moves out just fine, but when I put it back in and tried to move the archer out I got the CTD. I have the impression that the archers make the problem.

I missed the changelog, my mistake.

I mean the mini map that shows the span of each faction you select when in the start campaign window. The places that I noticed are:
    Bactria - missing NE provinces, Seleucid - the most eastern satrapies from 3.3.4 that are rebel in 3.4, Iberia - Turdetania and Celtiberia are now rebel, but shown as iberian, Gaul has a province in the NE that is now rebel, Pontus has a tiny speck around Sinope, but the region is now with different borders.

I also lean toward the sarmatians, since they vanquished the scythians; the sakae were just relevant to Bactria and Parthia from the current faction roster. So Sakae and Scythians -> superfaction, Sarmatians - north of Caucasus, tending to go west and playable.

Also, I'm looking forward to testing the new landbridges, but it might be better to try out the one pixel thingy in 3.5. instead. I've seen some good naval invasions in RS and if that's the cause we might be able to remove all landbridges, even the Rhegium-Sicily (well, perhaps keep the one at Byzantium).

Tried again at Campus Alani, horsemen moves out just fine, but when I put it back in and tried to move the archer out I got the CTD. I have the impression that the archers make the problem.
    This is really weird. I get that too, except for one time it worked normally. I can't figure out what could be causing the problem. I tried replacing the older descr_model_strat (all I'd changed was the ship size), but that didn't work. What else could affect this, though?

I mean the mini map that shows the span of each faction you select when in the start campaign window. The places that I noticed are:
    Bactria - missing NE provinces, Seleucid - the most eastern satrapies from 3.3.4 that are rebel in 3.4, Iberia - Turdetania and Celtiberia are now rebel, but shown as iberian, Gaul has a province in the NE that is now rebel, Pontus has a tiny speck around Sinope, but the region is now with different borders.
    Darn it, I forgot about those. I'll have to fix that.

I also lean toward the sarmatians, since they vanquished the scythians; the sakae were just relevant to Bactria and Parthia from the current faction roster. So Sakae and Scythians -> superfaction, Sarmatians - north of Caucasus, tending to go west and playable.
    That might be neat. I'll have to do some shuffling of provinces to make room for a Scythia Minor, but I think it would be fun. Where would the Sakae go, though?

Also, I'm looking forward to testing the new landbridges, but it might be better to try out the one pixel thingy in 3.5. instead. I've seen some good naval invasions in RS and if that's the cause we might be able to remove all landbridges, even the Rhegium-Sicily (well, perhaps keep the one at Byzantium).
    The pixel stuff is in the 3.4 map, actually, courtesy of PatricianS. I'm curious to see how it goes, too. I'm hesitant to get rid of some of the landbridges, though. The AI really seems to think there's a landbridge across the Straits of Kerch and Gibralter even when there's not, and that really causes problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn Inuit View Post
    The pixel stuff is in the 3.4 map, actually, courtesy of PatricianS. I'm curious to see how it goes, too. I'm hesitant to get rid of some of the landbridges, though.
    The pixel stuff is just experimental... So if it doesn't appear to work, then you can remove it without problems...

If the pixel thing DOES work on the other hand, then you wont need any landbridges anymore at all!

The AI really seems to think there's a landbridge across the Straits of Kerch and Gibralter even when there's not, and that really causes problems.
    Are all maps correct when you compare them to each other? For example if the map_height.tga file says that a pixel is above see-level, then I think map_ground_types.tga should say that too... Otherwise maybe the AI would think it can walk somewhere because it loks at the heights map while in fact it can't because the ground_types map says that it is water...
    (thinking out loud here...)

I'll check that out if we do away with the landbridges. I'm pretty sure that wasn't the problem, though. The AI has had problems with land units and the Straits of Kerch at least since RTRPE came out.

For the record, I feel very strongly about keeping the Sicily, Bosphorus+Dardanelles, Straits of Gibralter, and Straits of Kerch landbridges. The others I'm less attached to.

How about the France-England and the Ireland-Scotland landbridges?

Those don't exist in the ExRM, do they?

I'm pretty sure I made them... I even posted some screens about them somewhere...

Yikes, I totally missed those. I used your maps (except Iberia, Dacia, and Asia Minor), though, so they must be in there.

It seems that the sarmatian bug happens with any unit in any city, no matter whether it is there from the beginning, it is recruited there or I have put the starting standing army in a city and tried to march out a unit from it on the next turn. It has a degree of randomness, since sometimes it happens for one unit, sometimes it doesn't.

Also, while I was playing around with that I got a single ctd during AI turn, but I wasn't paying attention which faction's turn it was. It was one of the latter factions or perhaps the rebels. The funny thing is I tried to make this happen again, so I started with Sarmatia, put my standing army into a settlement and waited a couple of turns. Nothing happened, so I tried to bring out again some units out of my settlements. I was able to do that without ctd, no matter whether I marched them out one by one or the whole stack, in every settlement. This is quite baffling...:hmmm:

A couple more:
    Remove 2 or 3 hoplite units form the Agrigento garrison. It will jump-start the war for Sicily, trust me.
    Shouldn't the slingers have AP attribute? They didn't puncture the armour per se, but the shock from the hit was quite damaging nonetheless.
    Last edited by Iskandar; February 22, 2009 at 04:48 AM.

two bugs found:

1/. occassionally (3 out of 5 starts) all scripted events happen in turn 2, including, of course, the Marius reform.

2/. When I capture Croton (as Roma) and the occupy/slave/plunder prompt comes up no matter what choice is made i get a CTD.

Anyone else having these?

Eat Meat Whale Meat
    Technical Staff Citizen took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

I've just tried it, and it CTDed when I moved a unit out of Campus Massegetae AND Campus Scythii (or whatever it's now called). I'm wondering if it's an issue with the names file, with the game CTDing when it's looking for a name for the new Sarmatian captain.

Quote Originally Posted by DJOSD View Post
    two bugs found:

1/. occassionally (3 out of 5 starts) all scripted events happen in turn 2, including, of course, the Marius reform.

2/. When I capture Croton (as Roma) and the occupy/slave/plunder prompt comes up no matter what choice is made i get a CTD.

Anyone else having these?
    #1 I've never heard of happening before. When you start a game, make sure you don't click on anything till the opening script finishes up, ok? It'll flash some text at the upper left corner, then settle on one thing. That's almost certainly a script issue, although the Marian Reform is hardcoded and can't happen then.

#2 is a standard bug. It just happens sometimes with the game. The only way to minimize it is to make sure you leave "view enemy movements" on, as this seems to help for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    I've just tried it, and it CTDed when I moved a unit out of Campus Massegetae AND Campus Scythii (or whatever it's now called). I'm wondering if it's an issue with the names file, with the game CTDing when it's looking for a name for the new Sarmatian captain.
    You deserve a medal. That was exactly the problem. For a complicated reason, I forgot to include the new /text/names.txt file that Jamey did, although I did include his other two names files. I uploaded it as a hotfix, which should do the trick. I couldn't get the CTD to happen again once I updated with the correct file.

A couple more:
    Remove 2 or 3 hoplite units form the Agrigento garrison. It will jump-start the war for Sicily, trust me.
    Ok, I added that to my to-do list.

Shouldn't the slingers have AP attribute? They didn't puncture the armour per se, but the shock from the hit was quite damaging nonetheless.
    I think we had a long discussion about that awhile back and decided against it. I don't remember why, though. I just searched for it, too, and I can't find it. I guess it might've been in the RTRPE forum. I'll keep looking around for it.

That's what the RTR team did with TIC, and as a balancing mechanism they reduced the attack on slingers. One of the resultant problems is that it's much harder to distinguish between high-quality slingers and lower-quality ones. What they did was give the Balearic slingers 3 attack instead of 2, but they weren't really 50% more accurate. I prefer the current setup, with the slingers differentiated by attack value and no AP.

As the Parthians, I cannot view my cities in city view mode. I I keep getting some kind of parthian_sword_archer missing error or something like that. I can be more specific if need be. I just enjoy looking at my cities sometimes.

Eh, too each his own.

I just checked and the only parthian_sword_archer file (a sprite) is right where the game thinks it is. Can you post a screenshot of the error? Also, can you use your infantry archers in a custom battle and tell me what happens? You may get a CTD.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn Inuit View Post
    #1 I've never heard of happening before. When you start a game, make sure you don't click on anything till the opening script finishes up, ok? It'll flash some text at the upper left corner, then settle on one thing. That's almost certainly a script issue, although the Marian Reform is hardcoded and can't happen then.

#2 is a standard bug. It just happens sometimes with the game. The only way to minimize it is to make sure you leave "view enemy movements" on, as this seems to help for some reason.
    Nice 1 bro and thinking about it 1/. i did press the advisor occassionally so thats probably it, and fyi the Marian reform definitely happened - I got all excited about it!

2/. sorry to be a pain - where is that checkbox? I don't think ive unchecked it.

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast