Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Agelastus/Pictor

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Agelastus/Pictor

I agree with Crassus, we must strive to be seen as saviors to the people, not oppressive tyrants.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Junius's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Better tyrants abroad than tyrants at home.
    Proud to be under the patronage of Calvin.
    Patron of Lysimachus

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

Perhaps so, but best not to be tyrants at all, no?
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

Very true senator! very true indeed.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

A man peeked in through the doors.

"Senator Celsus has not come to the House yet because he's preparing his report. He messages that he'll come soon."OOC: sorry, but time zones...

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I must agree with the plan presented. Corfinium, after fighting the Epriotes themselves, have broken our uneasy truce and must pay reparations. This is the way of the world. Let the Corfinians pay for the material they have wasted and the lives they have ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

"And what do we pay for all the Tarentine, Corfinian, Rhegian and all those other lives? Vae Victis, no?"
    PLEBEIAN

Winter's Avatar Civitate

If I recall correctly, these wars were all started by aggressors. It is not our business to pay for conflicts we did not start, and not our concern to worry over the actions of tyrannical nations.

And I assume that your rhetoric of letting the soldiers return to Rome was all wind, then, considering we will need to maintain a garrison to subdue the inevitable discomfort the people of the city feel as a result of these oppressive taxes?

May I remind those Senators unfamiliar with the ways of war that when a town is captured it is always looted, and this case was certainly no exception. We gathered a considerable amount of booty, from king to pauper alike, and that is payment enough. If we treat our assosciate cities like this, it is no wonder we had problems - they have risen against us before, and if we continue these ways, shall do again.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Did the Tarentines start this war? Or were we in clear violation of a treaty we had signed with them when they attacked us, Lepidus?
    PLEBEIAN

Winter's Avatar Civitate

The Tarentines aided our foe, this is undeniable.

Who started the war is a question for the historians who deal with the past, not we senators who must deal with the present.

And let us deal with the present with a view to the future - these people cannot make war again unless they have the will. Heavy taxes will give them the will to rebel and invite some other foreign army to our shores. Nay, let's consider them a city on a par with all out other allies. We have looted and pillaged their lands. That was their punishment. Now let the protective hand of Rome and moderate taxation be their reward for continued loyalty and obedience.

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

You all spoke of Pax Italia not so long ago, when my uncle died, he died granting ALL OF ITALIA that gift. Now you wish to besmirch his sacrifice by trying to destroy Pax Italia. Do you want war or are you just cruel men?

If you allow this injustice, you undo my uncle and Crassus' work!
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

I agree that keeping high taxes could be a reason for posible rebellions in the South, but being to soft on them might have very bad consequences too. Just because you have managed to subdue a violent horse does not mean that you can let it go free and expect it to behave.

We must show them that Rome is their master, the big brother that will protect them. They must submit.

We are not speaking of war, Balbus, we are speaking of what course of action is to be taken in regard to the newly conquered City of Corfinium. The last city your uncle gave us while selflessly conquering its tyrant.
    PLEBEIAN

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by yaelthecruel View Post
    I agree that keeping high taxes could be a reason for posible rebellions in the South, but being to soft on them might have very bad consequences too. Just because you have managed to subdue a violent horse does not mean that you can let it go free and expect it to behave.

We must show them that Rome is their master, the big brother that will protect them. They must submit.
    Then your big brother must have been foul to you then Herrenius if you can believe as you do, that we should tax them so harshly.

And in a swift motion turning to Falco

Oh but you do seek war Falco. You seek to salt their wounds and chastise them; but you will only enrage them further and incite them to war again.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

We have already shown them that Rome is their master, Herrenius, by looting their homes and slaughtering their armies. The time for war is at an end, let us consider them enemies no longer. To suggest they will be potential enemies and to treat them as such would be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The nephew of our former Consul speaks the truth. The Pax Italia is what we strive for, in Balbus case he died for it, let us not spit upon his good name!

I AM the big brother in my family .

This people will not simply submit to Rome, not even if their city and land is ocuppied. I, however, was not trying to say that we must set excruciating taxes, burn their fields and kill their cattle. What I was saying was that simply giving them equal treatment to the rest of us, by giving them lower taxes, would not be good. Keeping higher taxes on their lands would be a reminder to them of who is their leader.

We have not done this in any other city. Why Corfinium, of all places, that has, of all the states of Italy, perhaps shown us the least aggression of all?

Galerius Priscus's Avatar Centenarius

Senator Varius Gallus enters the Curia, and sees that everyone is already present.

I apologize for my lateness, my friends.

He walks up to an empty spot, and sits down.