Thread: The Great Conflicts main discussion thread. Please post here!

Default Re: The Great Conflicts main discussion thread. Please post here!

"Medieval II: Total War has been updated to 64-bit, using Feral’s latest libraries and Apple’s Metal graphics API for a robust performance boost across all supported Macs."

I might take as a yes? Its quite stable, however mods like Divide and Conquer sometime crashed out when I select campaign after playing custom battles

Antiokhos Euergetes's Avatar Protector Domesticus

A fresh standalone now I really am getting excited for my TGC fix. It hasn't been easy in TGC rehab but it sounds worthwhile.

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

after porting/renaming two cultures: the eastern_european = slavic and greek = romaic
    this opens up new battlemap settlements and forttypes.

i´m ready with testing the new settlements for all 7 cultures + severall new forts.
    there´s also a process started to limit the tudor like buildings and make the settlements look more historical correct (more grass roofs, no tudor like architecture, less glass windows, different doors a.s.o.)
    the reshaping just started - but it started.
    some ingame pictures:
    new walls and wooden textures added. if you look closer the builöding in the middle, you will notice a grass roof and much more stone parts instead of the tudor architecture

Cool, very cool. How do you do that? Do you have to remake every brick and wall all over- redecorating after CA moved out. Somehow I imagined things differently

it´s basicly a retexturing of vanilla me2tw settlements for now. i´m starting as a noob in this area.
    once i figure out how to change buildings and techtree´s, this settlements will change more.
    gladly de bello mundi supplied the community with a big amount of converted barbarian buildings from rtw and they had a settlement line which is used in the SE settlementline. sadly those line is wrong scaled (to small in size) and had issues with pathfinding and gates - so i removed them in the current build.

when i figure out how to change this, the settlements will improve more.
    the ultimate goal is a individuall battlemap for settlement such as constantinople, rome, damascus, psilka and antiocheia.

here´s a copy from the update thread:

Romaic = full vanilla SE city model line (texture changes pending, updated with progress) - village - town - large_town - city - large_city and huge_city
    Romaic forts - city

Southern_european = full vanilla SE city model line (texture changes pending) - village - town - large_town - city - large_city and huge_city
    SE forts - city

Rus = Barbarian Village (Mountain EBII) - Barbarian town (Mountain hall EBII) - Barbarian hilltown (not the vanilla one DAC) - vanilla NE city - vanilla NE large_city
    Rus Forts = Barbarian Town (EBII Hilltop Hall),

Barbarian Hilltown

Steppe = dbm steppe village - town = dbm barbarian steppe village (same model) - NE largetown (dbm barbarian) - NE vanilla city
    forts = dbm steppe village (not used atm)

Northern_european = dbm barbarian village - dbm barbarian town - dbm barbarian large_town - vanilla NE city (new textures partly pending) - vanilla NE (new textures partly pending) - vanilla NE huge_city (new textures partly pending)
    NE Forts = dbm barbarian large_town

- vanilla NE city

Barbarian town (dbm barbarian town)

- vanilla motte

Slavic = dbm barbarian village - dbm barbarian town - dbm barbarian large_town - vanilla NE city (new textures pending) - vanilla NE (new textures pending) - vanilla NE huge_city (new textures pending)
    Slavic forts = dbm barbarian large_town - vanilla NE city

Middle_eastern = full vanilla ME city model line (texture changes pending, updated with progress) - village - town - large_town - city - large_city and huge_city
    ME forts - vanilla city
    Last edited by _Tartaros_; March 08, 2021 at 01:15 AM.

Hello! Big Longtime Fan since 2014 who’s in love with the mod and Appreciates the decade long dedication to its completion from the team.

I had a very flowery and long appreciating introduction essay.....but it got wiped by page refresh while writing it so my sprit is crushed rip.

But to sum it up High praise to the Team for creating the most beautiful map in medieval 2 and historically accurate mod I’ve ever seen. Also respect for being the only video game medium that recognizes Venice as officially part of the Byzantine Empire, The Autonomy script is sweet.

But why not the same recognition for Sardinia?

The De Ceremoniis by Emperor Constantine Vii(Reign 913-959) has a section on proper greetings to rulers that mentions an Archon of Sardinia. “Greetings from the Christ-loving ruler to the Archon of Sardinia” Sardinia being the first in a list to receive this greeting that included the Doge of Venice, Prince of Capua, Prince of Salerno, Duke of Naples, Archon of Amalfi and Archon of Gaeta.

There’s also one more section related to Sardinia “The cheers chanted by the Sardinians for the emperors” that quotes an entire chant sung by Sardinian soldiers to the Emperor.

I also present a excellent paper by a Native Sardinian on Sardinias relationship to the Empire.
    https://www.scribd.com/document/3679...ntine-Sardinia

Where he notably brings up Greek inscriptions found on Sardinian churches dated to the 10-11th centuries. One of these mentions an Archon bearing high ranking Byzantine titles(Protospatharios) with a native Sardinian name and another his successor. Very fascinating stuff I recommend a read as it’s all strong evidence for Sardinias being a part of the Empire into the 1000s.

Gameplaywise I think it would Help stretch out the Byzantines more and give them more fronts while bringing activity to a quiet part of the map.

Hi,
    thank you for your nice firstpost and your suggestion.
    I´ve indeed tried to look out for sardinia, but didn´t found much in our timeline. i´ve only found loose evidence for corse beeing contended by the franks and later HRE with the pope in Rome and muslim raiders.

i will include the island into second the ERE-Island quest, which is actually sicily, crete and cyprus.
    an independance message may follow, if the player as ERE conquer the island.

Quote Originally Posted by _Tartaros_ View Post
    Hi,
    thank you for your nice firstpost and your suggestion.
    I´ve indeed tried to look out for sardinia, but didn´t found much in our timeline. i´ve only found loose evidence for corse beeing contended by the franks and later HRE with the pope in Rome and muslim raiders.

i will include the island into second the ERE-Island quest, which is actually sicily, crete and cyprus.
    an independance message may follow, if the player as ERE conquer the island.
    Thanks for the response but that’s the thing it makes no sense for the Empire to Attack Sardinia when it was already part of the Empire. https://dl1.cuni.cz/pluginfile.php/6...compressed.pdf Here’s a link to the De Ceremoniis in English that contains all the chapters.

the Chants by the Sardinians to the Emperors can be found in chapter 43: Acclamations of the Army, page 650. The proper greeting to the Archon of Sardinia in chapter 48, page 690. I would say Constantine VII is quite the qualified firsthand source.

After Sicily fell to the Arabs local population emigrated to Sardinia, don't know if M2TW mechanics allow it but it could be nice to
    make Sardinia province of the Empire in case Arabs conquer all Sicily.
    But even without that possible script Sardinia was indeed part of the Empire far into Middle Ages. It was used as a stratagem
    for Justinian to lure Vandals into attack so North African coast was free for invasion. When everything else was falling apart after Heraclius died
    Sardinia was still part of the Empire for centuries ahead.
    Thanks, Heir to Arnor and Gondor for reminding us.
    BTW, when writing long post I always have a tab with TWCF open and refreshing it twice in a minute.

i´ve changed ownership of sardinia to the ERE.
    should be interesting to see, if aghlabids invade the island, as they are starting at war.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

It will be interesting...Can you script the first main invasion (not first raid) of Normans to go to sardinia? AI has that island "isolated" and always kept rebel like the Genoa region for unknown reasons. Genoa region must be included to EF buffer zone misions inorder some faction to use it.
    I have started the new "saracens" models but you will have my first results after Monday.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

should be no problem.
    genoa is part of the iron crown script.

i think the issue is connected to the hardcoded CAI.
    A heat-map would be interesting to find out clusters and isolated settlements in the map. the CAI don´t care about historical accuracy. it will look for clusters (settlements that can support each other within one turn). this settlement are priority. isolated islands and sideway settlements aren´t priority for any faction.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

My friends i huble request to give me a week off from TGC development as a result of health issues.
    I will be back soon with the fisrt Islamic units remake..for the next build.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

sure + RL is always first
    health is the most important, next to family

there´re many open issues to do left, which take time to develope and flesh out in the mean time.

the four Judicates giudicati, or Principes Sardiniae were to all intents and purposes self-sufficient if dominated by Genoa and Pisa. They fought off many Saracen raids, including Al-ʿĀmirī’s army from the Balearics who apparently overran the Island in 1015- but was thrown out. I must admit, I have not read about Norman attacks though

maybe this attacks are a good source for a small raiding script.
    could be a rebel saracen army which raid the island, if not hold by rebels.

in the first small patch sardinia is starting domain of the ERE.

Apparently giudicati even provided troops to defend Rome against a Saracen raid. But it's the ongoing issues with Taifa of Dénia raiding from 1015 that causes the island problems.
    Sardinia would be interesting to play. But they are not unified, but separate principalities, they don't really contribute internationally they are everyone else's target. Little of what is available to read makes their warfare interesting
    Last edited by Antiokhos Euergetes; March 20, 2021 at 05:31 AM.

little bit offtopic, but feral will release a remastered rome tw https://www.feralinteractive.com/en/news/1109/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raeatXbtyN8
    fully modable + uptodate mechanics!

maybe a me2tw remastered will follow.

May I ask why the knight of Regnum Francorum has no "Excellent morale". I remembered the older version they have excellent morale but in newer version they dont have that.

mhh, good find.
    to be frank - i don´t know why they have lower moral. we will check this.