Thread: The Great Conflicts main discussion thread. Please post here!

Default Re: The Great Conflicts main discussion thread. Please post here!

Have you hit any snags in your test campaign as the Romans?

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by perris0707 View Post
    Have you hit any snags in your test campaign as the Romans?
    Yes we have ancountered few issues that both _tartaros_ and Miquel_80 are working to solve. Unforthunatly such an issue forced me to stop my campaign in 288 turns.
    Gigantus and Makayane gave us few advices how to proceed to next build.
    1st: Less mountains (we merge mountains to less mass and smoother surface for more suitable battlefields. Also less trees and 20 less minor cities (former permanent stone forts) to make the "load" of the strat_map less.
    2nd: Fixed errors of rebelions in certain provinces.
    3rd: Staring creation of fammily trees to have less crashes when a king dies and his succesor takes over.
    4th: Less normal map taxtures for the islamic faction units having similar textures but only recolored for common units. That will give us less MBs in the data.
    5th: Completing the recruitment system for all factions step by step.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Some news.
    1st : Serbian and Great Moravian rosters are in a halt for the momment givving priority to Islamic rosters instead.
    Why? Because 97% of their unit were ready and needed some re-coloring in their textures plus more shield patterns to complete them.
    Completing those 5 rosters at once we will make a huge step torwards to our release because of their huge rosters and complex unit recruitment system.
    Also in our early days each unit used its own texture and normal map one. Now common units will use similar textures with ONE common normal map texture under the expirience we got creating the Roman Usurpers Roster.
    Tulunid Amir Ghulams

Units created by Sumskilz, Matthaeus and Koultouras and use shield material -for now- by Leif Erikson, Pacco and Sumskilz.
    Later we will add more shields from Paleologos to finall complete our Islamic rosters.
    We chose shield paterns that are close to each faction doninate color as we do with their turbans on heads to help players distinquish better the faction each unit belongs to.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Yes we have ancountered few issues that both _tartaros_ and Miquel_80 are working to solve. Unforthunatly such an issue forced me to stop my campaign in 288 turns.
    Gigantus and Makayane gave us few advices how to proceed to next build.
    1st: Less mountains (we merge mountains to less mass and smoother surface for more suitable battlefields. Also less trees and 20 less minor cities (former permanent stone forts) to make the "load" of the strat_map less.
    2nd: Fixed errors of rebelions in certain provinces.
    3rd: Staring creation of fammily trees to have less crashes when a king dies and his succesor takes over.
    4th: Less normal map taxtures for the islamic faction units having similar textures but only recolored for common units. That will give us less MBs in the data.
    5th: Completing the recruitment system for all factions step by step.
    Have you tried control_faction in hotseat campaign? You can watch ai's behavior in hotseat campaign and find some bugs.
    In addition, have you check the size of saved game? If saved files become too big,the campaign will crash after some turns.

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

yes, we use control_faction command quite often. Anthonius also used a now heavily outdated version of the build with known bugs commulating.

My data now is used for re-grouping the Islamic faction units and test them only in custom battles.
    Its a huge task because 5 islamic factions have 7 common units, 2-7 unique ones each, used 2-5 AOR units and up to 2-5 mercenary units each.
    Even recoloring of existing textures takes time for the common units.
    We work in diferent DATAs because the new islamic units will be NOT exactly same as the old ones and could make more troubles.
    So while _tartaros_ is solving some existing bugs i remake those rosters and sent him separatly to allow him put them in game easier replacing the old ones.
    I estimate that this fusion of Islamic factions will save us up to 10 MB in textures alone.

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

My data now is used for re-grouping the Islamic faction units and test them only in custom battles.
    Its a huge task because 5 islamic factions have 7 common units, 2-7 unique ones each, used 2-5 AOR units and up to 2-5 mercenary units each.
    Even recoloring of existing textures takes time for the common units.
    We work in diferent DATAs because the new islamic units will be NOT exactly same as the old ones and could make more troubles.
    So while _tartaros_ is solving some existing bugs i remake those rosters and sent him separatly to allow him put them in game easier replacing the old ones.
    I estimate that this fusion of Islamic factions will save us up to 10 MB in textures alone.
    I did just send Rampante-Cid the two units that he requested over PM, from EoR Main Campaign - that he wanted for the islamic factions of this mod.

He will probably change them slightly but it's one cav unit and one infantry unit.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; June 14, 2018 at 08:14 PM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Rammpante-Cid was looking for a Tibeto-chorasmain cataphract unit and maybe a model to fit the Abna Guardmen , both unique for Abasids.

Nikiforos XMike's Avatar Tiro

Suggestion: one of the "officers" in the lines of the Roman troops to be an orthodox priest holding the Holy Gospel and the Cross

Quote Originally Posted by Nikiforos XMike View Post
    Suggestion: one of the "officers" in the lines of the Roman troops to be an orthodox priest holding the Holy Gospel and the Cross
    Not going to happen. Roman Army remained proffesional untill 1204!

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Rammpante-Cid was looking for a Tibeto-chorasmain cataphract unit and maybe a model to fit the Abna Guardmen , both unique for Abasids.
    Yeah, i sent him two Sassanian units that look very armored. There are the ones that appear in the minutes 01:11 and 08:05:

Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Antonius's Avatar Decanus
    Europe - Britain, Austria, Italy, Belgium....

My God, I CAN'T WAIT for this mod...
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them.
    ~Alfred Adler

The good news is that both _tartaros_ and Miquel80 found fixes and now the test goes -so far- smoothly with random (like vanilla game has) CTDs that allow players to continue their campaigns reloading the game.

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

gigantus also helped with fixes

Good news indeed! Game on.

Anthonius - who was your favorite Byzantine Emperor?

Quote Originally Posted by perris0707 View Post
    Anthonius - who was your favorite Byzantine Emperor?
    None I have favorite Roman Emperors!

None I have favorite Roman Emperors!
    Right! Anyway, apart from the most glorious among them and focusing on them who "could have been IF...", I bet on John II Komnenos for several matters. Furthermore i have a strong belief: if he had lived long enough, then i think maybe the IV crusade and what followed to wouldn't have been as we know it so far ( for example Alexios would have ALREADY inherited an empire restored till the former eastern borders, aaaaand so on, and so on... ).
    Last edited by sftonix; June 23, 2018 at 06:17 AM.

John II
    Komnenos is my favorite too. Alexious I and Jonh I Tzimisces are right up there for me also. Some of the later emperors could have been great IF they would have had the resources of a Basil II or a John I though. Favorite general for me … pretty close between Belisarius and John Kurkuras.

Antonius's Avatar Decanus
    Europe - Britain, Austria, Italy, Belgium....

Basil II was pretty capable and would obviously be high on my list...
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them.
    ~Alfred Adler