Thread: The Great Conflicts main discussion thread. Please post here!

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default Re: The Great Conflicts main discussion thread. Please post here!

Quote Originally Posted by Wareg View Post
    Any evidence to support this?
    Padded armors and leather ones were known since antiquity. Ificratis warrior is an example.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Quote Originally Posted by Wareg View Post
    Any evidence to support this?
    Before the gambeson there was the Linothorax :

Then the roman subarmalis :

I'm shure there were other types of quilted armour, but these were the most popular types of quilted armour before the gambeson.
    Last edited by NapoleonMaster; February 13, 2019 at 03:33 PM.

Ok, I've misunderstood you, I mean that there is no evidence of qulited armours in TGC timeframe in West/Central/North Europa (although Arabs and Bizantines used It). I refer to screenshots of Frankish/German crossbowmen beacouse this model have quilted armours (which became common in this region in 13th century) and crossbows with stirrups (also late 12th century innovation)

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

I believe it is on the safe side to assume that padded/quilted protection remained in continuous use after it's introduction in the Roman army, as the technology for it did not vanish with the destruction of Rome and neither did the need for it.

Hrobatos's Avatar Praeses

Technology did not vanish but cotton became certainly scarce with Arab expansion into Mediteranenan. They essentialy broke old conections and brought the end to "Roman world " and broke it into Arab, Byzantine and Latin parts.
    Especialy in northern Europe would cotton be scarce, and it was vital for gambesons.

Thus gambesons are used again atleast in 10th and 11th century in the West but became widespread in 13th. There are several factora here. There was major population growth in 13th century likely due to climate becoming warmer again and manny new towns were found in this time frame, urbanization started again which in turn resulted in greater number of urban organised and trained militias. Those used gambesons as good and afordable form of body protection. Also Crusades opened trade paths to the East and Italian republics of Genoa. Venice and Pisa have taken controll of the sea routes from Arabs. All of these were in my oppinion inporta t factors to major increase of usage of gambesons in 13th century as oposed to earlier period.

Infact I would argue that whole Dark ages as major decline of civilization in Europe was caused by Arabs trough their domination of the sea routes. Slavic and Bulgarian migration to the Balkans hasnt helped either.
    Last edited by Hrobatos; February 18, 2019 at 04:26 PM.

Most European gambesons were made from wool. Vikings in particular wore padded wool armor quite often.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

I was under the impression that linen was the material of preference for gambesons and it was used in at least 17 layers quilted together in order to achieve stopping power of some adequacy.

Also, the Dark Ages got their name from the scarcity of script remnants from that time.
    The "scarcity" begun with the collapse of Roman rule in the west of Europe at the hands of illiterate (at the time) Germanic tribes.
    The time gap between the sack of Rome by the Visigoths (410 CE) and the first Islamic expansions (620 CE) does not justify the claim that Islam caused the European Dark Ages.

Furthermore, it is noted among modern Greek scholars that a great deal of ancient Greek literature (philosophy, mathematics, astronomy, tragedy and comedy) had been rejected for centuries by the Christian scholars of the Eastern Roman Empire as "pagan" and was only preserved thanks to the diligence of scholars residing in the Caliphate.

I wouldn't consider the attitudes of ISIS and the Wahhabis in our time as representatives of Arab/Muslim attitudes on culture and literacy in medieval times.

Antonius's Avatar Decanus
    Europe - Britain, Austria, Italy, Belgium....

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    I was under the impression that linen was the material of preference for gambesons and it was used in at least 17 layers quilted together in order to achieve stopping power of some adequacy.

Also, the Dark Ages got their name from the scarcity of script remnants from that time.
    The "scarcity" begun with the collapse of Roman rule in the west of Europe at the hands of illiterate (at the time) Germanic tribes.
    The time gap between the sack of Rome by the Visigoths (410 CE) and the first Islamic expansions (620 CE) does not justify the claim that Islam caused the European Dark Ages.

Furthermore, it is noted among modern Greek scholars that a great deal of ancient Greek literature (philosophy, mathematics, astronomy, tragedy and comedy) had been rejected for centuries by the Christian scholars of the Eastern Roman Empire as "pagan" and was only preserved thanks to the diligence of scholars residing in the Caliphate.

I wouldn't consider the attitudes of ISIS and the Wahhabis in our time as representatives of Arab/Muslim attitudes on culture and literacy in medieval times.
    This
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them.
    ~Alfred Adler

btw, I heard from Paleologos that there will be some goodies in store for us at the end of this month.

Is this still planned or the release will be delayed?

Delayed. Depresion is a sickness you can not see it comming when it strikes again and again. IT also creates physical (body) sicknesses too that strike like lightning.
    Please for the delay blame me and no one else.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Wallachian's Avatar Citizen

Bro please dont be sorry! Take time for yourself, remember health comes first!

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

AnthoniusII,The health and well-being of our extraordinary community members is of the utmost importance. I'm sure that I speak for all of us when I say that with support you and are with you in spirit. I hope your situation improves!

My daugher battles depression. It is a terrible disease. You can win this battle Anthonius!

Quote Originally Posted by perris0707 View Post
    My daugher battles depression. It is a terrible disease. You can win this battle Anthonius!
    Despite these post maybe off topic, we are first people here in TWC. My friend the strugle against Depresion is long and painfull espesialy for those that SHARE the burden.
    I almost drive m mother crazy thanks to my condition , so please TAKE CARE your daughter 1st , when she will fill better you will be able to enjoy life too. I hope this mod will offer some time off from our every day strugles and keep our minds away from that fear. I hope WE ALL BE WELL inorder to enjoy not this mod...but our lives God so generusly gave us to live. Thank YOU ALL for your suport and please forgive me that I bother you with my own problems. But since day one in TWC i considered all its members FRIENDS of mine and that is why i dared to share this info. For your petience I will try my best not to let you down. That is a promise.
    YOUR FRIEND
    Anthony.

Thanks man. My prayers are with you as you fight your battle. The mod is only a game after all and your health is what is most important. Don't feel any pressure (or guilt) to forsake your health! Fight the good fight my friend!

Servus Veneticus

You can see the Roman tunics with Lombard legs and head cover.
    Unforthunatly the wonderfull heads made by Razor have an issue with their UV maps when the model converted to .mesh.
    Its a pity because those heads are highly detailed.
    The unit is the basic civilian militia of Venice. Acting more as law enforcement rather than a battle line unit.

I think the head looks really good! The lion of Venice looks good too.

Quote Originally Posted by perris0707 View Post
    I think the head looks really good! The lion of Venice looks good too.
    Yea the head is highly detailed but when the milkshape model converted to .mesh inorder to have it in game the UV maps of the side of the head and it rear change position . I sent a message to Razor that is the creator of these wonderfull heads to find a solution because those models with diferent textures will be used for Arabs, Berbers etc that wont have anything to hide their heads exept the faces like the italian militias. Hoods cover that issue but not every model will have such ones.
    Look what i face as problem:
    Look how wonderfull the head looks in milkshape:

No observe what happens in game:

Maybe Razor that has made Roman heads with the same technic in the past without that bug will be able to give a solution.

btw, that white line on the grass doesn't look right tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by NapoleonMaster View Post
    btw, that white line on the grass doesn't look right tbh.
    That white line is the limit of units deployment in custom battles before the battle begins.