Thread: The Great Conflicts main discussion thread. Please post here!

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default Re: The Great Conflicts main discussion thread. Please post here!

The starting date was chosen for numerus reasons. 1st In that date East Frankia faced a number of chalenges. 2nd Venice was just gained its autonomy from the Roman Empire. 3rd The Macedonian Dynasty was already in place. 4th The Emirate of Crete was in its highest power. 5th The Bulgarian Empire was in its highest power as well but at that time there was a time of peace between them and the Roman Empire. That is crusial for players to monitor their huge empires, chose to avoid early conflict with the other supepower and last there was still in act the Pact between Romans and Abbasids for Cyprus. All these create numerus "grey" zones aka rebel region to allow players to expand without fight a faction and start learning how the mod works. Remember that TGC was the shrink of the mod Golden Ages with only 4 factions playable but while starting creating them we could not avoid to create the factions that interact with the main factions in many ways.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

I see. It was based on many factors and not just the beginning of Basil I reign. What will happen in 1071? Will play be able to continue on after that date?

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by perris0707 View Post
    I see. It was based on many factors and not just the beginning of Basil I reign. What will happen in 1071? Will play be able to continue on after that date?
    No...you will have to reach 1071 in order to win the game. No victory condition doesn't include this date as victory factor. 1071 was chosen simply because most other mods start at 1080. 800 turns are not few.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Is there a good book about Roman-Bizantine military equipment?.

Also, the Varangians have two variations? (axe and sword)

I love their models, it's a combination between Roman and Norse equipment.

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

varangians use both weapons in the same unit.
    sword + shield = primary and doublehanded axe = secondary weapon. after some time of fighting they switch weapons and you can see both types in action in the same unit

Quote Originally Posted by NapoleonMaster View Post
    Is there a good book about Roman-Bizantine military equipment?.

Also, the Varangians have two variations? (axe and sword)

I love their models, it's a combination between Roman and Norse equipment.
    It depends on what you are looking for, and the subject is complex. If you want a general idea of what arms and armor were used at various times, a good starting point is a book by Taxiarchis Kollias on Byzantine Arms, originally published in German and by now translated in many languages. Kollias simply compiles all the arms and armor mentioned in the original sources, such as strategikons, historic accounts, etc. but it is not exactly a book that will give you a clear idea of how those arms and armor looked like.

If you want a book that helps you visualize how Eastern Roman soldiers and armies looked like, the Osprey Men At Arms books are probably the best for that, and also the best from a general point of view.

Finally, if you want an in depth research on arms and armor, then you would need to dig on Academia.edu and search for more specialized publications - it really depends on the specific topic you are interested in.

Timothy Dawson is considered to be one of the leading experts on the topic today. Check out his books.

improvements since the last time:
    corrected recruitment for moravia: armored units from blacksmithlayer, regular swordman from barracks and both former mercenary slavic units now act as placeholder palace units with very slow recruitment
    redone cost for recruitment and recruitmenttime for moravian units to favoir more realistic recruitment (armored units had cost same as lowtier trash before)
    added two additional characters in forts in descr_strat for magyars to prevent succession ctd
    implanted fix for the dead captain ctd (missing units in bmdb+edu for slave captains: magyars, pechenegs, turcomans and normans)
    altered the support from the moneyscript down - was to high for small factions
    added missing pechenegs king and heir battlemodel into the scripts and coding
    deleted pecheneg king as officer unit in edu
    set armourlevel of Pechenegs Bodyguard units to 0 instead of nonexisting 1 + fixed several other units like norman bodyguards and exploratores (which don´t have any) in campaign_script
    added the missing EMT_VICTORY_PECHENEGS line in expanded.txt - fixing the scroll map ctd
    made magyars a "re_emergend" faction in case they are defeated at some point
    changed magyars invasionscript - condition is just the turnnumber - not the living faction magyars anymore (leading to problems, if defeated)
    strenghend scripted armies for the magyars invasionscript, as they where to weak to conquer any settlement and resulting in a defeated faction, when pechenegs take over the eastern holdings
    added more + better units to other scripted sieges too (revolt of the dukes and franks transform into hre)
    added more traits to scripted generals to improve battleperformence
    Jale82 added more than 150 historical names to our minorcities aka forts with gigantus tutorial

i´ve also played a campaign as Eastern Frankish Empire for more than 110 turns now without any real ctd.
    Last edited by _Tartaros_; July 28, 2019 at 02:21 PM.

Yay! Great news and, once again, thank you for all your work!

Antonius's Avatar Decanus
    Europe - Britain, Austria, Italy, Belgium....

Still can't wait for this mod.

Btw, I just finished reading Chris Wickham - The Inheritance of Rome: A History of Europe from 400-1000, which goes into quite some detail about the timeframe of this mod and the factions involved. I just wanted to ask if anyone else read it and what your thoughts were...
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them.
    ~Alfred Adler

I am reading John Julius Norwich's three part history of the Eastern Roman Empire. It is very well done. Also books by Treadgold, Haldon, and The Road to Manzikert by Carey and Cairns. I have not read Wickham's book but will add it to my list.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Antonius View Post
    Btw, I just finished reading Chris Wickham - The Inheritance of Rome: A History of Europe from 400-1000, which goes into quite some detail about the timeframe of this mod and the factions involved. I just wanted to ask if anyone else read it and what your thoughts were...
    I've also read it recently. I think it's an excellent book. It's very dense - each sentence counts, you need to think and link various messages Wickham conveys. I find it very advanced as far as methodology is concerned. In many aspects is an eye-opener, even though on Byzantium it cannot be as modern as on the west-european "Dark Ages".
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

While not related to Wickham's book, I am finding that Michael III was not the "drunken wastrel" that Roman historians made him out to be. In fact a pretty good case could be made that Michael III laid the foundations for the Eastern Roman Revival of the 10th century. The other Michael who intrigues me is Michael IV. One wonders what he could have accomplished had he lived longer.

Antonius's Avatar Decanus
    Europe - Britain, Austria, Italy, Belgium....

Quote Originally Posted by perris0707 View Post
    I am reading John Julius Norwich's three part history of the Eastern Roman Empire. It is very well done. Also books by Treadgold, Haldon, and The Road to Manzikert by Carey and Cairns. I have not read Wickham's book but will add it to my list.
    Norwich sounds very interesting, going to order one of his. Thank you for the recommendation!
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them.
    ~Alfred Adler

His second volume of the Trilogy is "The Apogee" and covers the period encompassed by this mod. From 800 AD to the rise of the Komneni. So many "what ifs..." in Eastern Roman history. |I listened to a university lecture online about the factors leading to the catastrophe of 1204. The professor claimed that the very successes of John II and Manuel I led to the Venetians and Normans attack on Constantinople - basically to summarize - out of fear of Eastern Roman military successes. I am not sure I agree, but it was an interesting hypothesis by someone MUCH more learned on the subject than I am. I suspect Venetian trade interests had "a bit" to do with it, and the fact that the Normans never passed up a chance for loot. I do agree with his claim that the Eastern Roman Empire really fell in 1204 though. The empire was never fully unified again, but became a loose confederation of regional powers with regional interests driving their policies.

added missing vc and vcs cards
    made wood lighter because blocking rivercrossing in sicily
    added jales82 work: named minorcities + tested
    added 4 armenian placeholder units for slave faction
    coded random armenian rebelspawn in typical armenian regions
    added armenian units to the paulican script
    positioned some armenian rebels in two minorcities (one for ERE + one for Abasids) + some in the 3 initial paulican held minorcities
    added placeholder UI for Armenian Units
    added last 8 missing resources on the map (in total about 78)
    things done behind the scenes

atm a big new build 0.9.5 is in progress

Thanks for the work. Are you guys already testing that alpha release Anthonius II talked about?

kind of. the new build 0.9.5. will be the internal alpha, because this build is atm pretty stable and able to play more than 150 turns without major issues.
    but many thing must/will be added and edited before the public beta and the 1.0 release.

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Great news, I can´t wait for this mod. Fortunately my copy Streams of Gold, Rivers of Blood: The Rise and Fall of Byzantium, 955 A.D. to the First Crusade arrived to the local bookshop, so I will be ready for The Great Conflicts

Any notable progress?