View Poll Results: Do you want to buy and play it, if there's any?

Voters
417. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

384 92.09%
  • No

33 7.91%
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Play as a German-Axis FPS Game

Default Re: Play as a German-Axis FPS Game

I thought he would be good character because he seems like he didn't really care about the government and just wanted to "blow up" and he did some pretty hardcore missions like ruining General Eisenhower's Christmas .

Quote Originally Posted by Battletoads View Post
    I thought he would be good character because he seems like he didn't really care about the government...
    You sure you read that right? The man was a convinced Nazi and continued following extreme right wing views even after the war. Not the kind of "hero" you wanna idolize in a game.
    I say have the player be a "nameless" paratrooper. You get some cool missions, you can stay away from war crimes and there's plenty of chance to depict the war going from glory to senseless slaughter.

Pious Agnost's Avatar Praefectus

When I think of playing as the Axis in a game, I think of playing a 'Smash TV' kind of game as John Rabe.

But I could go for the whole 'Namless paratrooper' thing Rapax suggested

Graphic's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Rapax View Post
    You sure you read that right? The man was a convinced Nazi and continued following extreme right wing views even after the war. Not the kind of "hero" you wanna idolize in a game.
    I say have the player be a "nameless" paratrooper. You get some cool missions, you can stay away from war crimes and there's plenty of chance to depict the war going from glory to senseless slaughter.
    Hate to up this (I clicked it randomly in IndoPruss' sig...again).

But I agree this is actually how I invisioned the hypothetical Axis FPS. You'd be a paratrooper so all questions of mass genocide and the like are mostly tossed aside - you're just a soldier. And the way I saw it was early on your character is bright eyed, pretty naieve, brainwashed, idealistic, etc. Then as the game progresses he becomes more and more disillusioned by the horrors of war and the idiotic decisions of high command (strategic and criminal alike), and betime it's the Battle of Normandy he just wants to survive the war to go home. The best way to do it would be to make it a very dark game, it would be the opposite of Medal of Honor or something. No sentimental trumpets, no inspiring quotes: just the blood, mud, death, destruction, horror, and anguish of war.

AFAIK that's actually pretty historically accurate, that betime the war was drawing to an end, the average veteran grunt was very pessimistic while all the young kids being thrown in as replacements would be fanatical instead.

CoD5 let you shoot surrendering German soldiers and advance through the burning ruins of Berlin. Why can't you do the same as a German? A realistic portrayal of war incl. scorched earth and warcrimes would be a pretty effective message against war, if anything. Of all the iconic war films, the most horrific and brutal are usually the ones with the strongest anti-war message.

I think it's pretty disrespectful to all the German men and boys who died in the war to have their deeds omitted from history because of something they likely knew nothing about, whilst the Russians who were arguably just as bad still get trumpeted as heroes.

Also, what about the Hungarians, Finns etc?

wilpuri's Avatar It Gets Worse.

Quote Originally Posted by IndoPruss View Post
    Where do you get the picture anyway?

It's quite rare to see the type of grenade like above.
    They are Estonian Waffen-SS troops, somewhere in south-western Russia.

Yeah, would be awesome to have games where you could play as axis nations.
    The common culture of a tribe is a sign of its inner cohesion. But tribes are vanishing from the modern world, as are all forms of traditional society. Customs, practices, festivals, rituals and beliefs have acquired a flut and half-hearted quality which reflects our nomadic and rootless existence, predicated as we are on the global air-waves.

ROGER SCRUTON, Modern Culture

The only problem is many game publishers are tapping this teenage market in America. THeres the possibility that the guy who give the go card will not be pleased with you shooting the supposed "goodies".

If the game is damn good i be getting it. I hope they won't shy away in putting down the brutality of some of the warcrimes. Not to show that they are all monster but to put the player in a normal german's shoes espacially the one that know its foul but totally helpless to prevent it (or possibly granted side missions to correct some wrong who knows).

Graphic's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by frontier-auxilia View Post
    I hope they won't shy away in putting down the brutality of some of the warcrimes.
    So you guys really want the game to show Jews being executed in the street?

CoD 4's intro sequence showed people getting executed in the streets. The "Shock and Awe" level put you directly into the blast of a nuclear warhead. And as far as I've read (I've not played it yet) there are various not-so-friendly-behavior-scenes in CoD 5 that also involve [player's faction] as an active entity.
    But scenes like these are not inherently "bad/evil" in nature - on the contrary, there's hardly any better way of telling you how bad something is other than directly showing it to you. That's the main method anti-war media work with, by the way. So, to sum that up: It's not necessarily important what you show, it's important how you show it.
    If you now also consider the Holocaust as a possible (Jews were not the only victims, mind you) broader background to the executions, the power of this image is multiplied by a lot and there are many possibilities to introduce moral conflicts both to the main and AI characters and thus, indirectly, to the player him/herself.
    Last edited by Tankfriend; May 18, 2009 at 05:11 PM.

The only least solution for now is too include like Finland as playable Axis country or Italy maybe (you may face a mission where you have to run as fast as possible though )

CA you have done a great job so far, keep up the good work!!

Why there is no German-Axis FPS game?
    Thank You for the rep+ given!:wink:

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

While looking at your sig, IndoPruss I think you might be interested in this:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=257572

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

Vanquisher's Avatar Campidoctor

A sniper game as a Finn would be nice. Turkey shoot, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus the Virus View Post
    While looking at your sig, IndoPruss I think you might be interested in this:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=257572
    Great!

So happy that're so many peoples think same as me.
    Many FPS games are just so "American-superman", I'm sick when I play as an individual GI or with a rubbish M4 which impossibly wiped out an entire tiger division without even a casualty.......
    Well I know it's just a game but for the sake of POSSIBILITY it would make more sense if you wipe out a whole division of M4 with tiger.

BTW, for more creative side in Allies, Why nobody ever mention China? It was one of the major allied power against Japanese in WW2. The only reason that US got those Pacific islands so easily was the IJA exhausted so much resourse in mainland China. Chinese casualties in WW2 were almost as heavy as the Russian, but sadly it was entirely forgot in FPS.

That're quiet something in the Chinese front that can make a good setting:
    -Sides: The mutual-hated coalitional factions which nominally united only in the face of Japanese invasion: the Nationalist government which more perferred to destroy the Communist, the Communist which was building their own power under the "United Front", and the various self-concerned local warloards who colaborate only in face of both the powerful Japanese and the government......(Charactor development: what will you choose?)
    -The foes akin: The IJA was not the only enemy you would fight, but also the Chinese puppet states that fight for them. Would you shoot your own compatriots?
    -Axis vs Axis: the battle of Shanghai where German-style equiped Nationalist troops battled against the naval supported, well-equipped Japanese Army.

-Melee warfare: For the ill-equipped forces apart from the Central Army, firearms were always a lavish. And so their resistances were as ugly as what it had been for centuries.

-Chemical warfare: An major tactical advantage for the IJA was their extansive use of gas weaponry. Grenade-loaded mustard gases were deployed as decisive weapon against the generally non-gas-protection Chinese forces (the soldier above who got a gas mask was lucky enouge to be in one of the rare German-equiped divisions). The IJA had real-tested chemical weaponry......as they ran live human experiments for it.

-The reality of war: In Manchuria, the Japanese were known to run live-human experiments on Chinese citizens or POWs. The cruelity of those conducts were far rival than what their Nazi counterpart done to the Jews. If you want a FPS with shocking historial reality then its a good location to be included.

Considering huge fan base if such game is made and not forgetting that the developers who decided to include the Chinese as the good guys will get quite significant endorsement from the Chinese government. But I still think that the Chinese present government would prefer the player playing as the communist China against Chiang Kai Sek regime, which at that time control most of China.

Quote Originally Posted by IndoPruss View Post
    Considering huge fan base if such game is made and not forgetting that the developers who decided to include the Chinese as the good guys will get quite significant endorsement from the Chinese government. But I still think that the Chinese present government would prefer the player playing as the communist China against Chiang Kai Sek regime, which at that time control most of China.
    I think that's ok, because both the Communist & Nationalist would perfer anti-Japanese theme (Oddly enough, that's exactly the reason why that's no German-protagonist FPS game). Otherwise they can just ignore the Mainland Chinese market......

Hell yea, the game with germans as hero's would be a good refreshment, if you can forget the fact that at the period they did commit the worst atrocities and crimes.

If you are looking for German action, you can play Company of Heroes, at least the multiplayer, the Panzers are just frickin' awesome.

Personally, I wouldn't mind popping a collar or two off the allied troopers with a good ol' MP44 or ripping 'em a new one through the turret of a Tiger Mark 2, or what was it called

I would also love to see a WW I FPS game, with Serbian army battles on the Cer, Kolubara, Drina and Solun front. But I'm a dreamer I guess

il padrino's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbird Alkibijad View Post
    I would also love to see a WW I FPS game, with Serbian army battles on the Cer, Kolubara, Drina and Solun front. But I'm a dreamer I guess
    you're not the only one who's dreaming

-=Justinian=-'s Avatar Civis

I know the game is now aged quite a bit now...but a mod called "War of Infamy" for the original Ghost Recon, has single player campaigns where you can play as the the German SS, the Wehrmacht, and another I can't remember...

although not many people will play it because it is so old now. You can find the files at ghostrecon.net

there isn't much of a story line either...so probably won't like it much...idk
    Last edited by -=Justinian=-; June 22, 2009 at 06:15 PM.
    "It's good to be king"

Jingles's Avatar Praefectus

Bought and played CoH opposing Fronts the other day. The German campaign was a heartbreaker for me really. I was torn between sympathising for the underdog Krauts and the doomed Tommies in Arnhem. Brilliant in the way it captured the futile nature of the Market Garden campaign, at least I thought so.

I'd love not only to see a game set from a German perspective, but one that features the battle for France in 1940. It'd never sell well, (no Americans) but I'd love it. Dunkirk would be just epic...