Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Creating a World – Adding a new Faction

Default Re: Creating a World – Adding a new Faction

First of all thanks for your help .Then i used tha mod folder new-faction that appears from one of your installers,anyway i download what you told me and if i have any problems i will tell you.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Take your time, help is always close at hand.

I install bare kingdoms but where are the decr factions and the rest files..Should i install also new faction and then copy paste the files form bare kingdoms into it or start coding everything from beggining(something that i am going to do when i get the knolwledge).I hope i am not a pimple in ....

Bare kingdoms is a vanilla game which launches itself via kingdoms.exe file and utilizes all of the new kingdoms features and nothing more.
    All those files that u have mentioned like descr_sm_factions.txt are files required when we add a new factions.
    So copy a default vanilla file from the extracted copy of M2 in to bare kingdoms and make changes to your mod according to ur desire.
    Last edited by Ishan; July 02, 2010 at 01:22 PM.

Thank you for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Methismenos View Post
    Thank you for the help.
    Glad to help u bro.

King Yngvar's Avatar Senator

Thanks for the tutorial, allthough some of these things are meaningless to do if you just want to take a faction from one mod to another... Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems the only place the faction name actually needs to be changed is in the expanded.txt file, saves a lot of time.
    It's redundant to write your username at the end of your post,
    if I wanted to see your name I'd look to the left of my screen.

Expanded.txt file is in the text folder and all the files in it are for Visual info in the game. But some are important for modding like the imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt file.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by King Yngvar View Post
    Thanks for the tutorial, allthough some of these things are meaningless to do if you just want to take a faction from one mod to another... Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems the only place the faction name actually needs to be changed is in the expanded.txt file, saves a lot of time.
    The important word here is: NEW. Meaning adding a faction to the descr_sm_factions, not just simply renaming an existing or not used one (like the saxons for example).

Quote Originally Posted by gigantus View Post
    The important word here is: NEW. Meaning adding a faction to the descr_sm_factions, not just simply renaming an existing or not used one (like the saxons for example).
    Yes i wanted to say the same. but couldn't phrase it in words.

Civis

My thanks for the tuto, that was really easy ( espiecally the descr_model_strat.txt ) this way.

But I've a very strange error, I succesfully added 7 factions to reach the 31 factions limit, to avoid error, i called then faction1, faction2, ....faction7. After some testing, the campaigne work fine after a 500 turns campaign ( I let my computer run during 2 nights ), no crash at all.

The problem is that's impossible to enter the custom battle panel, when I click on "custom battle" bam, CTD. After some investigations, I find out that custom battlemaps ( mymod\data\world\maps\Custom ) were the origin of the problem. When i remove them, no prob, custom battle is available and playable ... I double checked every thing i modified, but idon't see anything wrong.

Do you have any idea of what've done wrong ?
    If not, i guess i'll have to do it again

Quote Originally Posted by Dwaine View Post
    The problem is that's impossible to enter the custom battle panel, when I click on "custom battle" bam, CTD. After some investigations, I find out that custom battlemaps ( mymod\data\world\maps\Custom ) were the origin of the problem. When i remove them, no prob, custom battle is available and playable ... I double checked every thing i modified, but idon't see anything wrong.

Do you have any idea of what've done wrong ?
    If not, i guess i'll have to do it again
    U should try to add a single edited custom scenario one by one and check it constantly. If it crashes then u know which one is it.

Blog Entries

I am not sure if I am mixing this up, but if you have a new campaign map, then the coordinates of the previous battle maps can cause a problem if they are out of range of the new map.

Civis

U should try to add a single edited custom scenario one by one and check it constantly. If it crashes then u know which one is it.
    hum, 20+ custom maps, too lazy for that ...

I am not sure if I am mixing this up, but if you have a new campaign map, then the coordinates of the previous battle maps can cause a problem if they are out of range of the new map.
    I tought so, but that's nonsense, the first thing I did was to do a new map, and no problem with the custom battle until I add the 7 new factions.

Thank you both of you, but I think I'm going to restart the mod anyway, the map is too big (1021x1021) and there is too many bug ( quick battles also crash, but I think this one is affected by new strat map ).
    And thanks again gigantus it's thanks to peoples like you and your tutorials that i love modding

prekabreki's Avatar Libertus

Hi there, very long time lurker, first time poster.

To make quite a long story short I'm trying to add a faction to TATW (You may have heard of it, it's quite popular )
    So I follow you guide, and pretty much just replace 'Turks' with 'Eonim', the faction im trying to create.

The game loads up, but the faction doesn't show up with the others on the the campaign menu, and when I try to start a campaign with another faction e.g. Rohan the game chrases.

So I try a custom battle and the faction shows up there. But lo and behold I can only choose one unit, Beornings. Which does make sense because I skipped the 'Battle_models.modeldb' step of the guide, because I couldn't wrap my head around it. So I start up a battle with them and a lot of things look wrong.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

So that's question one, how the hell did I mess up the UI like this?

Question two is, I'm pretty sure I followed your guide to the letter, I went over everything I did twice but still no luck. I would mean a great deal to me if you could check out the files I modified and just give it a quick glance. See if anything major jumps out at you.

I put all the files I modified with help from your guide into a zip file and attached it.
    Of course if you would happen to know the reason for all this right off the top of your head, then do tell!

As incentive I'll show you my kick-ass faction symbol!

Looking forward to your reply Gigantus! (Or anyone who can help me with this for that matter!)

Blog Entries

I think your problem lies in the SD files (ui folder). Somehow it appears their conversion from XML format to SD format went wrong.

Did you use notepad to edit the XML files? Most other editors leave behind formatting that messes up the conversion. If that is the case, simply open the XML files with Notepad and save them again. That should fix it.

Nice symbol by the way.

Edit: I just had a closer look

1. no symbols (data\menu\symbols)
    2. no faction entry on top of descr_strat (probably the crash reason)
    3. the spelling (capitalization) in descr_sm_factions does not agree with the sd.xml files (probably not fatal):
    logo_index FACTION_LOGO_eONIM
    small_logo_index SMALL_FACTION_LOGO_eONIM
    Last edited by Gigantus; July 31, 2010 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    I think your problem lies in the SD files (ui folder). Somehow it appears their conversion from XML format to SD format went wrong.

Did you use notepad to edit the XML files? Most other editors leave behind formatting that messes up the conversion. If that is the case, simply open the XML files with Notepad and save them again. That should fix it.

Nice symbol by the way.

Edit: I just had a closer look

1. no symbols (data\menu\symbols)
    2. no faction entry on top of descr_strat (probably the crash reason)
    3. the spelling (capitalization) in descr_sm_factions does not agree with the sd.xml files (probably not fatal):
    logo_index FACTION_LOGO_eONIM
    small_logo_index SMALL_FACTION_LOGO_eONIM
    Wow, thanks. Feel a bit dumb for making such beginner mistakes, but hey that's what comes with being a beginner at this.

The UI is fixed now.

So the faction now shows up at the faction selection screen, but if I try to start a campaign with any faction at all the game crashes. Any idea at all what could be wrong?

edit: I checked the log, but I have no idea how to fix that...
    Last edited by prekabreki; July 31, 2010 at 03:45 AM.

Blog Entries

It's not a full log, but it is all about the same type of error.

You appear to have made units recruitable for your new faction in the EDB, but you didn't assign ownership to these units in the EDU.
    And if you haven't made entries for them in the modeldb than you will still have crashes when you want to do a battle.

Edit: in cases of a big log, simply compress it with WinZip or WinRar, 7z (whatever is allowed to be attached). Makes life easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    It's not a full log, but it is all about the same type of error.

You appear to have made units recruitable for your new faction in the EDB, but you didn't assign ownership to these units in the EDU.
    And if you haven't made entries for them in the modeldb than you will still have crashes when you want to do a battle.

Edit: in cases of a big log, simply compress it with WinZip or WinRar, 7z (whatever is allowed to be attached). Makes life easier.
    Thanks for your help so far, and I fiddled around a bit. Made some units recruitable and such

Still crashes though, but now I think I have a full log.

How did I mess up the character traits? I don't think I touched those...

Blog Entries

You can disregard the messages about the traits, that is normal and most of the time applies to custom traits that do not have the full set of conditions (and don't need them).
    It appears the first two factions got processed (descr_strat) and then the crash happened. Guess which faction is the third one in the descr_strat?

You said you didn't do anything with traits, but then I see this:
    character Thengel, named character, male, leader, ....
    traits Thengel 1 , Factionleader 1 , GoodCommander 3 ......

Your family tree is a bit messed up: characters listed in the family tree that are alive and of age have to appear somewhere. Adult males have to appear as generals. Adult females have to be either married or be listed as princesses.

relative Thengel, Morwen, Theoden, Theodwyn, Gleowyn, Dernwyn, end
    relative Theoden, Elfhild, Theodred, end
    relative Eomund, Theodwyn, Eomer, Eowyn, end

Have you removed the original garrison from the city you have now allocated to your new faction?
    Last edited by Gigantus; July 31, 2010 at 04:43 AM.