Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Creating a World – Adding a new Faction

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Creating a World – Adding a new Faction

Nothing obvious I can find, sorry. Did you happen to work already with the name files (data\descr_names and text\names)? Seeing that this is the first character entry there is a possibility that something is wrong there.

Give me the following files as well (put in one folder then compress):
    descr_sm_factions
    descr_names
    text\names.txt
    text\names.string.bin
    the crash log

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Nothing obvious I can find, sorry. Did you happen to work already with the name files (data\descr_names and text\names)? Seeing that this is the first character entry there is a possibility that something is wrong there.

Give me the following files as well (put in one folder then compress):
    descr_sm_factions
    descr_names
    text\names.txt
    text\names.string.bin
    the crash log
    I checked those files a couple of times and when i didnt find anything i just tried changing the papal states into my faction on a fresh copy
    Managed to get the character and the settlements in the game but then i found out what was wrong with the previous ones(besides Denethor), whatever I do in the export_desc_buildings file my game crashes and i cant figure out why, for example i just do some basic stuff like add the first level of stables to my country and the game crashes

Doesnt the game require a papal faction using Catholic religion? I know you can edit out the pope and the religion mini game but isnt a papal faction hardcoded?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by skylli View Post
    I checked those files a couple of times and when i didnt find anything i just tried changing the papal states into my faction on a fresh copy
    Managed to get the character and the settlements in the game but then i found out what was wrong with the previous ones(besides Denethor), whatever I do in the export_desc_buildings file my game crashes and i cant figure out why, for example i just do some basic stuff like add the first level of stables to my country and the game crashes
    Any chance you might be back to a formatting issue in the EDB? This checker does pick up 'normal' formatting\code issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faylar001 View Post
    Doesnt the game require a papal faction using Catholic religion? I know you can edit out the pope and the religion mini game but isnt a papal faction hardcoded?
    Slightly the other way round and it's not the faction name governing this, it's the special faction setting in descr_sm_faction: "special_faction_type papal_faction" The effects of this setting are hard coded, eg papal standing, school of cardinals, crusades, and depend on the religion of this faction being set to catholic.

Yeah... I thought there was a need for one Catholic faction being the Papal state (Mordor in TATW) and then Orthodox and Heretic as a religion assigned to a faction and slave respectively as well. I know you can rename the religion through text files, but I thought having one catholic papal faction was necessary for the game to work?

Also, secondary question... is it better to keep and re-purpose existing factions and cultures, or make new ones from scratch?
    Last edited by Faylar001; October 09, 2018 at 12:24 AM.

Blog Entries

It's not a question of better - it's one of convenience. An existing faction has all it's stuff set up - all you have to do is edit some text files and graphics. Personally I will only add a faction once I have run out of vanilla factions. You can even turn the papal_states faction into a regular faction by removing the special_faction_type line.
    The only drawbacks of this is the lack of intuition when it comes to working with faction specific stuff, using the Normans as Nubians could lead to some entertaining oversights if not enough care is taken and the other case is unsuitable faction specific triggers in EDCT and EDA.

The usual exception:
    Aztecs is a bit weird unless you change the culture, though, even then you may not be able to avoid the odd mesoamerican 'children' (indirectly linked battle building models, eg farms, little churches) on the battle field.

I have taken to using this faction as 'script faction' - see some of the text tutorials here as to the use of it, eg labels for forts and unique custom names.
    Last edited by Gigantus; October 10, 2018 at 08:43 PM.

Thanks for the answer. I am replacing them so far, as I am having a hard time keeping track of which faction name belongs to which faction. Cultures, i would like to replace too, but I am still trying to figure out how to change the ambient settlements and battle map cities/forts... not there yet... Also, i am not entirely sure how to designate a culture as the default culture like South America is for rebels. (I'm assuming it's the first slot one).

Blog Entries

The culture of a spawned rebel from descr_rebel_factions (as opposed to recruited rebels) is the culture of the region they spawn in, those spawned by script will have the culture of their sub faction entry. Comes handy with their banner symbols as those can be made to reflect the different cultures.

For the ambient stuff ask the IWTE guys.

Thanks I'm not ready to tackle ambient models yet, but I will definitely check it out when I am. I have a couple tutorials bookmarked for it.

Blog Entries

Update

Update 28th December 2018
    Document
    - added battle UI symbol part
    - updated links and instructions
    Installer
    - Steam compatible
    - all lower case for Linux use

I'm not sure if I'll get a reply to this thread since it's so old, but I want to rename Milan to Serbia (since I think Milan being in the game was so unnecessary, Serbia was way more influential) and change the culture. Geomod has the tools there to change religion and culture, so it wouldn't be too hard to just rename it to Serbia, make it Southern European culture, and make it Orthodox, right? The icon changing thing would be a bonus for me, I am fine with just changing Milan to Serbia

Blog Entries

Changing culture is done in descr_sm_factions and can be done with Geomod, as can changing the faction's religion. Changing the displayed name of the faction is a bit more involving and cannot be done with the tool (other then the actual faction name): download the material from the opening post, it contains templates for the in game messages and such. Look up those entries in the original files and change them accordingly. Example from data\expanded (only change the entry outside the brackets): {EMT_MILAN_ADMIRAL}Milanese Navy

I would suggest to use my Bare Geomod set up to do all these changes. For the symbols you may need to unpack the game and then copy over the relevant files from the data\menu folder and data\models_strat plus data\ui\faction_symbols

You do know that's not where it stops, right? Unless you use the unit roster from milan as is.

Hello! I'm finish my mod year ago and i enjoy playing it. i create 3 new factions with Geomod and instructions from experienced moders. Now i decide to add a new faction, and made it, but i have pretty weird error. Here is a picture when i start new campaign:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0301.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	397.2 KB 
ID:	360587
    And few sec later, :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0302.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	409.1 KB 
ID:	360588
    Weird, ha! How this can happen? I think i make good entry in des_sm_faction.
    descr_sm_factions.txt

Blog Entries

I think the leader of that faction died without having a heir (teutonic family tree, leader maybe too old?). When that happens the faction joins the rebels.

I think the leader of that faction died without having a heir (teutonic family tree, leader maybe too old?). When that happens the faction joins the rebels.
    First i create faction as teutonic family tree, but when i did some research, i change it to normal family tree. Leader is old but is alive and he have 3 sons. I continue playing, and nothing wrong happened, faction exist and i join the crusade later.
    By the way, two sons have wife and one have child, but in game all three are single (they do not appear on family tree).
    Last edited by sale70; February 05, 2020 at 10:22 AM.

Blog Entries

That sounds like some formatting issue with the family tree in descr_strat, make sure to use SPACE and TAB correctly and check the log for error messages.

That sounds like some formatting issue with the family tree in descr_strat, make sure to use SPACE and TAB correctly and check the log for error messages.
    I found error in no character_record for 2 sons, and no connection with wife's and daughter! I use Geomod tool ad make family tree again, but i got same error. Strange, ha! I can't see any problem i script, maybe your trained eye can see the fox in the woods? Here r log and normans script.
    normans descr_strat.txtsystem.log.7z
    And, at the end, can that effect on strat_map flag? Color is ok in city name, but is rebel color on flag with proper symbol, and then change the symbol too.

Blog Entries

I think the problem is the 'Eustace' first name for father and son:
    Code:
    18:28:09.026 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Bare_Geomod/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 3536, column 14
    couldn't find Baldwin of Boulogne's character_record
    18:28:09.026 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Bare_Geomod/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 3537, column 14
    couldn't find Eustace of Boulogne's character_record
    18:28:09.026 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Bare_Geomod/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 3539, column 1
    The character record Matilda of Boulogne is neither married, nor has a father and will be ommited from the game.  She needs to be defined as a relative
    18:28:09.027 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Bare_Geomod/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 3539, column 1
    The character record Agatha is neither married, nor has a father and will be ommited from the game.  She needs to be defined as a relative
    18:28:09.027 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/Bare_Geomod/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 3539, column 1
    The character record Mary is neither married, nor has a father and will be ommited from the game.  She needs to be defined as a relative
    That has a domino effect. Try moving Eustace to the top of the characters, above Robert of Flanders.
    If that doesn't work create a new name in descr_names: Eustacefather, then in text names: {Eustacefather}Eustace and change the entries in descr_strat as well.

Try moving Eustace to the top of the characters, above Robert of Flanders.
    If that doesn't work create a new name in descr_names: Eustacefather, then in text names: {Eustacefather}Eustace and change the entries in descr_strat as well.
    I try that, and many other things, but just wont work. i think when i create faction with teutonic family tree and change it to normal, i mess up something, and now i have constant error. That happens also with Mongols and Timurides when i create normal family tree for new faction that i make of them.
    By the way, i resolve the problem with strat_map flag. So stupid, slave have standard_index 20, just like new faction! I change slave to 24 and now is OK!
    But that family tree...

Blog Entries

I think you should still try to sort all the character entries according to their appearance in the 'relatives' section.

Eustace
    Godfrey of Bouillon
    Eustace of Boulogne
    Baldwin of Boulogne

And then designate a heir, right now Robert of Flanders will be heir as he is the first named character in the list