Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: - The Library -

Default Re: Late Roman Book List

Quote Originally Posted by Valentinian Victor View Post
    Those two books are rather standard works now, although more modern works are vying to replace them as standard text's. Lots of authors quote from them, but I have wondered exactly how many of those authors can read German or French and therefore they are probably taking quotes from other works (a pretty standard practice sadly).
    I thought that most ancient history majors requires you to learn French and German at the very least?

Quote Originally Posted by ray243 View Post
    I thought that most ancient history majors requires you to learn French and German at the very least?
    There was no talk of my having to know anything other than English when I applied to do the Degree in Classical Civilisation with combined Latin degree here in the UK. I actually ended up doing an Honours Degree in Nursing & Social Work Studies, but that's another tale...

There was no talk of my having to know anything other than English when I applied to do the Degree in Classical Civilisation with combined Latin degree here in the UK. I actually ended up doing an Honours Degree in Nursing & Social Work Studies, but that's another tale...
    I'm not saying that you need to understand those two language as a pre-requite, I'm saying that they will make it necessary to learn those language by the end of 3/4 years.

juvenus's Avatar Campidoctor

Does anyone know if Ammianus' work is available online for free (translated in english)?

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Yep ,the Younge translation from back in 1862 is here - look under 'translations' for the hyperlink! I have that edition in hardback published in that year - it's unabridged, unlike the Penguin one.

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse View Post
    Yep ,the Younge translation from back in 1862 is here - look under 'translations' for the hyperlink! I have that edition in hardback published in that year - it's unabridged, unlike the Penguin one.
    My only caveat about the online translations is that make sure you find the original either in Greek or Latin so that you can check the translation. Both Younge's and Rolfe's translations leave something to be desired and when you compare the Latin with the translation you will find out some rather interesting things neither author appears to have either translated or bothered to translate at all.

juvenus's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBatavianHorse View Post
    Excellent. Fast and productive as always SBH. +rep (again)

BTW: you'll make me spend all my rep credit on you

My only caveat about the online translations is that make sure you find the original either in Greek or Latin so that you can check the translation. Both Younge's and Rolfe's translations leave something to be desired and when you compare the Latin with the translation you will find out some rather interesting things neither author appears to have either translated or bothered to translate at all.
    I'm sure you're right but unfortunately, I have no any clue about Latin, so I'll be happy with english translation.
    Last edited by juvenus; February 19, 2010 at 05:28 AM.

Yes, same here, alas. I have no knowledge about Late Latin at all . . .

You'll make me blush with all that rep!

elendir's Avatar Libertus

Has anyone read the following book:

Roy Boss: Justinian’s Wars: Belisarius, Narses and the Reconquest of the
    West. Montvert Publications, 1993

Not me, alas!

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/reader/1861979355/ref=sib_dp_pt#reader-link
    I thought this book was a very good read "The Ruin of the Empire:The Emperor who brought it down ,and the Barbarians who could of saved it "James J o'connel (2009)profile books .

Signature made by Joar

Quote Originally Posted by elendir View Post
    Has anyone read the following book:

Roy Boss: Justinian’s Wars: Belisarius, Narses and the Reconquest of the
    West. Montvert Publications, 1993
    I've corresponded with Roy Boss and he knows his stuff.

elendir's Avatar Libertus

Thanks. I've suspected so.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

How about Edward Gibbon's the Decline and fall of the Roman EMpire. I've read books 1, 2, and 3 out of six.

Quote Originally Posted by Magistri Militum FlaviusAetius View Post
    How about Edward Gibbon's the Decline and fall of the Roman EMpire. I've read books 1, 2, and 3 out of six.
    Whilst I like Gibbon's work, research and archeology has greatly assisted modern writers and unfortunately Gibbon's tends not to get the credit he once used to enjoy. It is a shame that most modern works barely, if at all, mention Gibbon or quote from him.

Edward Gibbons Decline and fall of the Roman Empire ,whilst it is a master piece of English literature ,it is also a book of its age and one that takes alot of the values of the author along with it ,especially when i come to Christianity ,the late Roman period and the Eastern Roman Empire ( Byzantium)

Signature made by Joar

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I wish gibbon would get more credit. I'm listing him as a scource in my book about Aetius.

But as I said ,yes its a master piece ,its biased towards his personnel dislikes of Christianty ,Its also takes alot of the values of his day.

Signature made by Joar

I agree with constantius' point of view. BTW, nice username . Constantius (III) must be my favourite 'generalissimo'.

Art by Joar

I see you list a quotation from Arthur Ferrill's book 'The Fall of the Roman Empire', Magistri Militum FlaviusAetius. What do you think of it?