Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: - The Library -

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: - The Library -

I bought the Kindle version of Maximinus Thrax written by Paul Pearson, published by Pen and Sword books.

It is better than expected and give a good history about Maximinus Thrax a man of humble origin better finally being the emperor of the Romans Empire.
    Short acounts of Septimus Severus, Caracalla and Elagabalus are given, Alexander Severus got more. Here is the chapter about the Persian campaign especially interesting.

The Harzhorn battle gets its own chapter.

Very interesting insights of the economic, religious and political life of the early century AD, shortly before the begin of the 3rd Century Crisis.

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Sertorio's Avatar Domesticus

Currently reading...
    Texture works by Sertorio, banner courtesy of Joar

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Winter is coming....

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

I feel a pattern between my books and RTW. Throne of Caesars makes play IC and wait for RO, while Bernard Cornwell guides me to Viking Invasion...

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    Ilkka Syvanne is a very good author, IMHO.

It looks that the next volume of his serie Military History of Late Rome is going to get published end of November. Look really forward to.
    Especialy about his analysis of Julian`s Persian expedition.
    IT HAS BEEN POSTPONED AGAIN!!!!!!

Next try end of January 2017 ....

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

A preview of the upcoming Osprey book Imperial Roman Warships 193–565 AD (February 2017)

Copyright material removed.

Battle of Sena Gallica 551AD.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; January 20, 2017 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Copyright issue

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Looks interesting!

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

A new book called The Emperor and the Army in the Later Roman Empire, AD 235-395 was released few days ago:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Interesting book, but very expensive, too expensive for my budget ...

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I have deleted several posts as they were not relevant to the topic of this thread. Please Gents, stay on topic as per the OP.
    I also remind you that Osprey Publishing has a very strict policy regarding the use of their pics. As such, they're not allowed on this site.
    Thank you for your understanding.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

I've found interesting this:

"Procopius of Caesarea: Tyranny, History, and Philosophy at the End of Antiquity"

by Anthony Kaldellis, University of Pennsylvania Press, 21 gen 2012.
    (sadly .. 43 €)

Justinian governed the Roman empire for more than thirty-eight years, and the events of his reign were recorded by Procopius of Caesarea, secretary of the general Belisarius. Yet, significantly, Procopius composed a history, a panegyric, as well as a satire of his own times. Anthony Kaldellis here offers a new interpretation of these writings of Procopius, situating him as a major source for the sixth century and one of the great historians of antiquity and Byzantium.

Breaking from the scholarly tradition that views classicism as an affected imitation that distorted history, Kaldellis argues that Procopius was a careful student of the classics who displayed remarkable literary skill in adapting his models to the purposes of his own narratives. Classicism was a matter of structure and meaning, not just vocabulary. Through allusions Procopius revealed truths that could not be spoken openly; through anecdotes he exposed the broad themes that governed the history of his age.

Elucidating the political thought of Procopius in light of classical historiography and political theory, Kaldellis argues that he owed little to Christianity, finding instead that he rejected the belief in providence and asserted the supremacy of chance. By deliberately alluding to Plato's discussions of tyranny, Procopius developed an artful strategy of intertextuality that enabled him to comment on contemporary individuals and events. Kaldellis also uncovers links between Procopius and the philosophical dissidents of the reign of Justinian. This dimension of his writing implies that his work is worthy of esteem not only for the accuracy of its reporting but also for its cultural polemic, political dissidence, and philosophical sophistication.

Procopius of Caesarea has wide implications for the way we should read ancient historians. Its conclusions also suggest that the world of Justinian was far from monolithically Christian. Major writers of that time believed that classical texts were still the best guides for understanding history, even in the rapidly changing world of late antiquity.

The work is of some interest for sure, in fact in my opinion it has never been so actual discussing of tyranny in the late antiquity!

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I'm curious, does it contain a translation or is it just a commentary on Procopius himself?

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    Interesting book, but very expensive, too expensive for my budget ...
    Yes, it´s also expensive for my budget. I have several very expensive academic books in my wishlist, but I can´t buy them. I bought several in the past. I hope I could get this one soon.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    I'm curious, does it contain a translation or is it just a commentary on Procopius himself?
    If you are in search of new translations of Procpius works .. does this mean you are not satisfied with the tons of translations corrently available?

the last three in my collection :

the two from Oxford collecction are great, especially the McGeorge "Last Roman warlords", one of the most interesting book i have ever read on that timeframe. Unfortunately, her incredible knowledge just underline how many things we do not know. I s'till hope in new discoveries in order to go further !
    I've received the Bonifacius last week, haven't read yet, maybe tonight...

speaking of cost, it is very relative. For instance, i don't go in average restaurant, just in fine ones. In Paris, you pay 40€ to eat , and 150 to eat heaven meal. So i don't go at the restaurant every day, but when i do so, i go only in finest. Same for books !

The cost is always related to our own purse....

My AAR for VGRII-AQUILAE

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Warfare in Roman Europe is a brilliant book, I just purchased it recently myself. Here are all of my recent purchases:

Child Emperor Rule in the Late Roman West: AD 367-455, Meghan McEvoy
    Rome and the Sword, Simon James (Excellent book on Roman Sword, how they were manufactured, and how they were likely used).
    Galla Placidia Augusta, Stewart Irwin Oost
    Roman Military Equipment, MC Bishop and JCN Coulston
    Armour Never Wearies, Timothy Dawson
    Warfare in Roman Europe AD 350-425, Hugh Elton
    Die Hunnen, Hermann Schreiber
    Gli Unni, Some Italian Guy (I accidentally bought the wrong book but kept it for the pictures)
    Roman Military Dress, Graham Sumner
    Vegetius: Epitome of Military Science, N.P. Milner

And... well, I can count the number of books in my physical library, but my virtual library is nearing 500 books and papers or so...
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; January 29, 2017 at 05:13 PM.

Renatus's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    Vegetius: Epitome of Military Science, George T. Dennis
    Do you mean Vegetius: Epitome of Military Science, N. P. Milner?

Does the Roman Military Dress book only come in paperback?

IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar.

Renatus's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by First Citizen Gallienus View Post
    Does the Roman Military Dress book only come in paperback?
    As far as I know, yes.