Page 1 of 74 12345678910112651 ... LastLast

Thread: Empire Steam FAQ

Default ETW and STEAM (Read the 1st post!)

Everything you need to know about Steam and ETW.

First, please read the following link for info on Steam as it will help explain what Steam is and how it works:

http://store.steampowered.com/about/

Q: Will I need to be on-line in order to play Single-Player on ETW?

A: You will need Steam running in order to run Empire. You can run Steam in off-line mode, so you only need to be on the internet once during installation and from then on you do not; unless you want to play Multi-player of course, which will again require you to be on-line.

Q: Do I have to launch Steam separately every time I want to play ETW?

A: The game launches itself through Steam. This means that you don't need to launch Steam separately. If you start the game and Steam is not loaded, the game will load Steam automatically and start up.

Q: Will Steam be malicious like SecuROM and include a rootkit that permanently infests a computer's hard-drive until reformatting?

A: You can uninstall Steam whenever you want, though you won't be able to play Empire if you do that.

Q: What is the extent of online activations? Once forever on one machine, or every single time every time on one machine?

A: Empire gets tied to your Steam account. No limits beyond that so you can uninstall and reinstall it as many times as you on as many PCs as you want.

Q: Will Steam drain system resources at an alarming rate? Does it use those resources even when the game is not open?

A: Steam will be using system resources whilst Steam is running, however it consumes very few system resources, even less than MSN Messenger. Check out this link here for more details.

Q: Should Steam remain installed on my system regardless of whether I still have the game installed or not?

A: No, you can choose to uninstall Steam when you uninstall Empire, if you want. You will need to install it again, if you re-install ETW, though.

Q: What if I buy the game on DVD and then buy a new computer and want to play it on that one instead? How do I authenticate it? Is the "authentication" connected to my Steam account?

A: If you buy a computer, you install the game, log into steam, and you're ready to play. You can log into your steam account from any computer in the world. The game's authentication is tied to your Steam account, not to the disc.

Q: If I lose the disc after authenticating, can I download the game through Steam instead, without paying for it again?

A: If you lose your disc, you can download Empire through Steam for free.

Q: What if my account disappears, gets stolen or anything, for whatever reason, is the disc useless then?

A: If your account gets hacked or disappears, you need to deal with Steam, they'll sort it out for you.

Q: Would a Steam-free pirated version of this game be safer than the retail version?

A: Not at all, and you'd be missing the entire multiplayer portion of the game, the easy update system and all other benefits Steam has.

Q: Will mods work ok, since ETW works with Steam?

A: Both retail version of Empire and version downloaded from Steam will be the same, so all mods will work with it. Problems that have occurred with mods and Steam with previous TW games has been because of mod makers not having the Steam version and so not easily being able to make their mods compatible. With empire as all versions have Steam there won't be that problem.

Q: Can I re-sell my ETW copy?

A: No, you cannot. Games bought through Steam cannot be resold. The Steam Subscriber Agreement denies users the right to "sell, charge others for the right to use or otherwise transfer [an] account"; Valve disables any accounts that they believe to have been sold or transferred.

Q: What if Valve decides to shut Steam down?

A: Steam is a complete cash-cow, there's no reason why it should be closed down. Also, Valve has promised (as it has been said many many many many times before) that they'll release a patch that disables Steam from all games if they ever want to close the service down.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Bonus Summary:

We are using Steam and Steam only for authentication
    We are using Steam and Steam only matchmaking for multiplayer.
    We are not using any other authentication platform.
    We are not using SecuROM.

So to reiterate in the style of Monty Python (may they be blessed for ever)

First thou shalt purchase Empire: Total War. Then, shalt we use Steam, no more, no less.
    Steam shalt be the system that shalt be used, and the system of using shall be Steam.
    Limited install shalt not be used, nor either any other system, excepting that thou must proceed to Steam.
    SecuROM is right out.
    Once the system Steam, being the only system, and the game be installed, then lobbest thou thy CD or DVD of Empire:Total War towards thy bin, if thou wishest it, being not needed in your drive, and thou shalt play it.

ALL posts that are not contributing to the topic in a useful way (rants, questions that have been answered already, etc) will be immediately deleted.

Default Empire Steam FAQ

The following posts were originally made by bigfootedfred here, here and here.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...5483-YUFN-0521

Steam Servers Are Currently Unavailable or Too Busy

Question

I receive the message "The Steam Servers are currently unavailable. Please try again later." or "The Steam Servers are too busy" while using Steam - what should I do?

Answer

Connection Issues

The most common cause for this error is a communication issue with your network and Steam. This can be caused by a firewall, anti-virus or internet security software, a router or a general poor connection such as dial-up.
    Please make sure that your network is configured correctly for Steam. The guide below will be useful for making sure that your computer and Steam can communicate properly:
    Troubleshooting Network Connectivity
    If you suspect that a piece of software running on your machine may be the culprit, then please follow these guides:
    Programs Which Interfere with Steam
    Disabling Background Applications
    Note:

Steam does not support running through a network DMZ (de-militarized zone), so your router must be reconfigured if you are running in that mode. For more information, please follow our guide to Using a Router with Steam.

Network Down-Time

If there is extremely high traffic on the Steam Network or if the network is temporarily off-line, you may not be able to use Steam immediately. Please follow the link below to check the Steam Network Status page:
    Steam Network Status

http://www.steampowered.com/status/status.html

Game subscriptions may not be recognized yet

If you experience this error while trying to install or register a game, log out of Steam and log back in to determine whether or not your purchase was successfully processed:

1. Right click the Steam icon
    2. Select the "Settings" option, then "Log in as a different user..."

After Steam restarts you will be prompted for your username and password. After logging in you should be able to download and/or install the games.

Download Stalls At a Certain Percentage

Question

My download stalls at a certain percentage or stays at Download Starting/Stopping

Answer

Router Issues

The issue is usually from a router interfering with the download process. Please unplug your router and connect your computer directly to your internet connection to test the issue. If this corrects the issue, please resolve the router issue using this guide: Troubleshooting Network Connectivity

General Troubleshooting

Try launching the stalled game by double clicking it. This may allow the download to finish.
    If unsuccessful, right-click on the stalled game and select "Properties". Click the Updates tab and change the automatic update to "do not automatically update this game", close the Properties menu, and try to launch the game. Repeat this process to switch back to "Always keep this game up to date".
    If you continue to see this issue, please exit from Steam and rename the ClientRegistry.blob.
    Restart Steam to replace the file and then finish the game update.

Connection Speed

Make sure your Internet Connection setting is correct for your current connection:
    In the Steam application, Click Settings > Downloads tab and make sure the speed is correct.
    Incorrect settings may affect your Steam downloads.

The issue may also be due to other programs interfering with Steam. Please complete these guides to further test the issue:
    Programs Which May Interfere with Steam
    Disabling Background Applications

Dialup Users

Please make sure to specify a 56k connection in the Steam settings menu . You may also manually make that setting in your registry:

• Go to Start > Run in Windows
    • Type regedit.
    • Navigate to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam .
    • Right click on "Rate", select Modify and set the value to 3500.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...6966-IADH-1503

low Downloads and Connection to Content Servers

Question

I heard Steam was fast, but whenever I try to download content my speeds seem very slow for my connection. On other sites I get the rate that I expect from my connection's capabilities. What's wrong?

Answer

Content Servers

Steam uses content servers that are located all over the world to provide better service. Steam automatically selects the best content server based on your location. If you feel that your downloads are going slower than expected, you can double check your download region:

1. Start Steam
    2. Go to File > Settings > Downloads tab
    3. Under Download region, select the region that you are in or that is closest to you

Third Party Applications

Some third-party applications such as ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus can cause Steam to use incorrect content servers. Any sort of Internet security and/or packet filtering software may have a similar affect. This can also lead to connection issues.
    If you are not using NOD32 but you suspect a different program might be related, you can follow the Programs Which Interfere with Steam guide to determine if that is the cause of the issue.
    For NOD32, there is a work-around that may help:

1. Go to NOD32's settings
    2. Under Antivirus and antispyware, locate Web access protection
    3. Find Web browsers and locate Steam.exe
    4. Click the box until a red X is displayed
    5. Click Ok and close the settings

For example:

Rename the Blob

Your ClientRegistry.blob file, located in the Steam directory (C:\Program Files\Steam\ by default), stores the location information for Steam to use in order to select the best content server. After disabling your background applications, please see this guide: ClientRegistry.blob

Connection Rate

Ensure that your Steam connection rate is set appropriately. For more information, please see Setting Client Rates.

Network Connectivity

If your rate is set correctly and you are still having trouble, then it may also be due to a network connectivity issue. Please follow these directions to make sure the correct ports are open and double check the list of ISP's that are known to have issues with Steam: Troubleshooting Network Connectivity.
    Last edited by Frunk; December 20, 2016 at 06:28 AM.

Default Re: ETW and STEAM

Nice, Q & A about Steam. Explains much

Incredibly useful resource, thanks, Aradan. Hopefully this will solidify the fact that Steam is not a malicious piece of Third Party software... I never knew so much witch-hunt-esque paranoia could be generated by a thing like this.

Again, good stuff, cheers.

This last bit "Once the system Steam, being the only system, and the game be installed, then lobbest thou thy CD or DVD of Empire:Total War towards thy bin, if thou wishest it, being not needed in your drive, and thou shalt play it"

So if I do keep the disk in the drive will it run quicker? ie, doesn't a disk in a decent drive get read quicker than a hard drive do the all the work?

Redcoat69's Avatar Campidoctor

good Q&A, should take alote of doubts off the forum

So if I do keep the disk in the drive will it run quicker? ie, doesn't a disk in a decent drive get read quicker than a hard drive do the all the work?
    It means that the disc is not necessary, as in "it is not being read by the system". I believe you will see no difference whether the DVD is in the drive or not, the game will simply ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    It means that the disc is not necessary, as in "it is not being read by the system". I believe you will see no difference whether the DVD is in the drive or not, the game will simply ignore it.
    Well if the game is going to run slower because it's only reading from the Hdrive, then at least mines a 10,000rpm Raptor and I will make sure I uninstall all the old games I don't play, so I install ETW on the outside edge of the platters, as Tesco's say, "every little helps"

Ducenarius

I now declare steam worthy of running Empire Total War. If you know you will not have Internet, simply switch to Offline mode before you lose your Internet!

I didn't understand any of the jibber-jabber until the holy grail summary. I now comprehend completely, and shall return with a shrubbery as symbol of my thanks.

Comes Domesticorum

I now greatly anticipate the lobbing of my holy DVD of Antioch into my disk.

Icon5 Re: ETW and STEAM

Soo, is it impossible to install & play single player without the PC your are installing it to being connected to the internet?

I have a system connected to the internet that certainly will not be able to handle this game, but have another that will without internet connection..

Quote Originally Posted by Legofingers View Post
    Soo, is it impossible to install & play single player without the PC your are installing it to being connected to the internet?

I have a system connected to the internet that certainly will not be able to handle this game, but have another that will without internet connection..
    You only need to activate the game once on Steam to play Singleplayer, you can start Steam in offline mode after activating it.

Quote Originally Posted by GroupofSpearmen View Post
    You only need to activate the game once on Steam to play Singleplayer, you can start Steam in offline mode after activating it.
    Yeah, I understand that but in order to activate it I presume I will have to install it on a computer with access to the internet....

I can not play it on my computer with access to the internet..

And I dont think transfering the activated game to my other computer is an option..

Do you think there will be a non-online activation key, where the installer will ask you to enter a key, then giving you another key to enter on the website, to receive your final activation code to be used on the off-line machine where the game is installed..?

Like Mount & Blade for anyone who has played that..?

Agisilaos's Avatar GREECE - ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

that was extremely useful aradan. thanks!
    Macedones were, are and will always be Greeks
    Under the Noble Patronage of jimkatalanos and proud patron of Agis Tournas and cocobongoclub-DJ
    Terrae Expugnandae, Imperial Might, Mythology, Complete Byzantine Roster, Ruins of glory, Sparta 3, Hegemonia City States, Roma Surrectum 2,300 Warlords of Sparta, Sparta 3.5, Classical Age Total War
    watch this
    , this and this
    Τακτική είναι να ξέρεις τι να κάνεις αν υπάρχει κάτι που μπορείς να κάνεις.
    Στρατηγική είναι να ξέρεις τι να κάνεις όταν δεν υπάρχει τίποτα να κάνεις.

Lol, i'm posting in this thread from steams in game web browser playing cs source.

Steam is awesome, don't deny it.

Sun Devil's Avatar Campidoctor

When you purchase something from steam, is there tax?

Formerly Vuvuzela

Quote Originally Posted by Toshiba View Post
    I now declare steam worthy of running Empire Total War. If you know you will not have Internet, simply switch to Offline mode before you lose your Internet!
    But !
    what if i dont have internet ?
    Will ETW DVD bought in any store , have steam software in it ?
    or do i have to download it from the internet ( STEAM software)?
    im asking this because , there are lots of people who play the game without internet

About time a Steam thread was sticked, so many people don't seem to realize what Steam actually does.

Robo1992's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    [fieldset]

Q: What is the extent of online activations? Once forever on one machine, or every single time every time on one machine?

A: Empire gets tied to your Steam account. No limits beyond that so you can uninstall and reinstall it as many times as you on as many PCs as you want.
    So what I only have to activate it once and then I dont have to have an internet connection??

Page 1 of 74 12345678910112651 ... LastLast