Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 24496465666768697071727374
Results 1,461 to 1,474 of 1474

Thread: Empire Steam FAQ

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: STEAM FAQ: Connection Troubleshooting

Disable the UAC if Win 7 or Vista.

Default Re: ETW and STEAM (Read the 1st post!)

>>>WARNING...THIS IS NOT ENTIRLY TRUE<<<
    Q: Will I need to be on-line in order to play Single-Player on ETW?

A: You will need Steam running in order to run Empire. You can run Steam in off-line mode, so you only need to be on the internet once during installation and from then on you do not; unless you want to play Multi-player of course, which will again require you to be on-line.

REAL ANSWER: You can only run in offline mode if your Steam client is up to date, So you will not have access to your offline games from time to time. This dosnt happen very often, but It has happened twice to me with very bad timing. (both times I was on a trip and had no internet acess) It has been this way for years and seems like Steam isnt doing anything about it anytime soon. Read Steam forum for more info on this.

Icon4 Re: ETW and STEAM (Read the 1st post!)

>>>THIS IS NOT COMPLETELY TRUE<<<

Q: Will I need to be on-line in order to play Single-Player on ETW?

A: You will need Steam running in order to run Empire. You can run Steam in off-line mode, so you only need to be on the internet once during installation and from then on you do not; unless you want to play Multi-player of course, which will again require you to be on-line.

REAL ANSWER: You will not be able to run your offline games on Steam if your Steam client is not up to date, which happens randomly but not often. (This has happened to me twice when I was on a trip and had no internet access) Its not the best feeling when you cant play an offline game that you've activated and paid for without randomly connecting to Steam again.

Steam recently updated Empire and created the Louisiana and American Colonies Protectorates, which I do not like. How do I return to the earlier version without these changes?

CrisGer's Avatar Civis

I purchased a box version of the game, on 2 DVDs. published by SEGA. It was purchased used from a reputable dealer thru Amazon. I then went to activate it on Steam and was told via a pop up that this copy of the game had already been activated and could not be run unless i was the original owner. I have querried STEAM support and Valve personell but so far have not recieved a reply. I therefore own a legal valid copy of the game but as of yet cannot install it. Has anyone else encountered this problem? it is NOT a copy of the game downloaded from STEAM or bought from STEAM, it was purchased legally as an independent copy and arrived with the complete game box, and manual and inserts...so i am waiting to see what happens. I can buy a new copy i suppose, i prefer to have a real disk version of any game i study and play..but at this point i am curious to see what Steam will do about this, i offered to take a digital picture of the disks and the CD key pasted into the DVD case..i am hopeful that that will allow the game to be activated. Just wanted to inquire here if anoyone else has had to go thru this.
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Development Group
    Linkedin
    "We Build Worlds"

The original owner still owns the game. Unless the original owner can convince Steam that he is the original owner and to pass the activation code onto you, you're in American terms out of luck.
    It's no good buying used games anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by CrisGer View Post
    I purchased a box version of the game, on 2 DVDs. published by SEGA. It was purchased used from a reputable dealer thru Amazon. I then went to activate it on Steam and was told via a pop up that this copy of the game had already been activated and could not be run unless i was the original owner. I have querried STEAM support and Valve personell but so far have not recieved a reply. I therefore own a legal valid copy of the game but as of yet cannot install it. Has anyone else encountered this problem? it is NOT a copy of the game downloaded from STEAM or bought from STEAM, it was purchased legally as an independent copy and arrived with the complete game box, and manual and inserts...so i am waiting to see what happens. I can buy a new copy i suppose, i prefer to have a real disk version of any game i study and play..but at this point i am curious to see what Steam will do about this, i offered to take a digital picture of the disks and the CD key pasted into the DVD case..i am hopeful that that will allow the game to be activated. Just wanted to inquire here if anoyone else has had to go thru this.
    They probably will considering others have bought the game on wrong accounts and Valve gave another key freeof charhr

Quote Originally Posted by vinh834 View Post
    They probably will considering others have bought the game on wrong accounts and Valve gave another key freeof charhr
    Now this would be a nice gesture on their part.

CrisGer's Avatar Civis

hmm, well we will see

this does not apply to my question about the bink dll however so i will repost over there. I owe a Steam version of the game already, i just had wanted to buy a hard disk copy and thought to achieve that by purchasing a used copy on Amazon, but it looks like used copies are covered by the restriction that i see posted on Steam that Steam purchased games cannot be resold. I had not realized that covered hard copy games purchased from another vendor. thanks.
    Admin
    3D Worlds and Game Development Group
    Linkedin
    "We Build Worlds"

You bought a used version?

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by CrisGer View Post
    hmm, well we will see

this does not apply to my question about the bink dll however so i will repost over there. I owe a Steam version of the game already, i just had wanted to buy a hard disk copy and thought to achieve that by purchasing a used copy on Amazon, but it looks like used copies are covered by the restriction that i see posted on Steam that Steam purchased games cannot be resold. I had not realized that covered hard copy games purchased from another vendor. thanks.
    You can only use the disk you have bought to install/reinstall the game, but not use the key to activate the game since it's already been activated with another account.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

If only could help here it would be awesome as dicks;

But yeah, last night I bought Empire/Napoleon GOTY edition, went home, installed it blah blah blah. But after the game finished installing I pressed play on Steam and an update box popped up, now the download started at 52% for some odd reason, and since then in say the last hour or so (FOURTH time I've had to restart it) it's moved 2%, what is this? Why is it so abnormally large, why did it start at 52%? Any help would be great!

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

I think your game is just catching up, they are updates after all. I took a break of over a year and had the same thing happen when i returned to play, I also received all the previously released dlc free of charge in the updates. My game also ran more smoothly on my somewhat over taxed system. Judging from the forums, these updates and my coming to the game late in the day meant I dodged a lot of early game problems that were identified and sorted out over time.

Captain Orange's Avatar Libertus

I just installed Steam. Is there as way to patch ETW w/o re-downloading the entire thing?