Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Installation Instructions, Technical Issues and Support

Default Re: Installation Instructions, Technical Issues and Support

Quote Originally Posted by Aradan View Post
    We apparently can't make everyone happy.
    No, I'm very happy with your work, really, and that's why I bother to post here! I'm very sorry but, in what concerns to difficulty, I find it strange that some factions have the expected behaviour fighting on VH (the anglo saxon), and others (the danes and norwegians) cannot make it through on H and this, correct me if I'm wrong, having both factions (saxons and norse) correspondent and identical stats. For instance, the armoured spearman unit exists in both cultures, with identical attack/defence values, right? So, why this descrepance in the result?! About the slingers, this is not a question of missiles, it was not with javelins that those slingers destroyed my armoured spearman, it was in close, hand-to-hand fighting, where is not supposed for a light missile unit to beat an heavy infantry unit. And please, note that I'm speaking about playing on H, not on VH. In fact, I think that if they did destroy them with missiles, it would be equally strange
    And Aradan, about cavalry, one thing is us talking about the fact that we cannot recruit a good, rich, and heavy cavalry unit in the game; but that, without entering those debates, we can argue that have an historical background. Another thing is to see a single poor, light (and saxon) cavalry unit going through the 5 or 7 (norse) spear units defending a bridge, like a knife through butter, with the norse spears playing the butter.

If you're talking about campaign, then the reason is that the mechanics of the game favour the style of play that AS are supposed to have. TW doesn't favour Viking-y tactics. On M difficulty it works fine, but as difficulty levels go up, the game mechanics put non-traditional-style factions at a disadvantage. If we balance the campaign for higher difficulties, it will be unbalanced for lower ones.

(I don't know if the above makes sense, I hope it does)

You mean slingers beat heavy infantry in melee? From a stats point of view, that's quite improbable, but I don't know what other factors were in play, like ground, fatigue, morale, luck (AI has a random 0-20% bonus to lethality), the +4 that Hard difficulty adds to AI units... As I said, anything but M/M unbalances the game on a 1-on-1 basis, due to the way bonuses to AI/penalties to the player work. A slinger unit with +4 attack and an (on average) +10% lethality has good chances to bruise a heavier unit, especially if that unit is surrounded and outnumbered (more hits taken, less attacks allowed).

About cavalry: Maybe the horse mass is too high, I'll have a look at it. Horses get a 'hardcoded' +8 (roughly) against infantry (due to pushing and speed factors), so that plays a part as well, though I think the stats themselves are fine.

Ok, thanks buddy

JackDionne's Avatar Senator

Having looked at the Youtube example it said patch 1.2. I could only find 1.7 patch is, that is the version I presently have installed.

Is it the same process just the patch is different?

Also does the new patch include more maps?

Slim pickings for map in the multi-player mode.
    3K needs to have an Avatar Campaign!!!

The patches are cumulative, that is patch 1.7 includes patces 1.1 - 1.6, so you either need build 1.0 + patch 1.7, or just build 1.7. And yes, the process is the same.

I'm afraid the mod doesn't include extra maps, though it's quite easy to add them (data/custom_locations.txt)

hi, does this work with rome gold edition? as it wont accept the 1.6 patch.

If the Gold Edition is patched up to 1.6 (most are, but not all), then yes.

Does anyone else have a bug where the dismounted mercenary rabble have purple cloaks when viewed as sprites from a distance? Are there any solutions?
    I'll assume its just me with this problem, so could someone please tell me what I can do to get rid of sprites for the rabble but keep them for the rest?
    Cheers
    Last edited by Astor; January 14, 2010 at 02:47 PM.
    Screw multiculturalism and the horse it rode in on

I don't have the mod nstalled here, but I'll check later and let you know if I have the same issue.

What you need to do to get rid of the sprites is open data/descr_model_battle.txt, find the entry for mercenary rabble (should be near the end), and at the end of the entry there are the sprite definition lines. Just put a semi-colon at the beginning of this/these lines. Exact instructions (if needed) later, when I get a look at the files.

Here are the fixed sprites, just use them to replace the existing ones. Simple read-me included.

Thanks for the quick response!
    Screw multiculturalism and the horse it rode in on

Alexandros I.'s Avatar Ordinarius

My problem is that when I want to start a new campaign a black window called "ActiveMovie Window" appears and I can't turn to the game window.

?? I don't think that's mod-related! Does it happen with vanilla BI too?

Alexandros I.'s Avatar Ordinarius

No, only with this mod.

I have absolutely no idea why this happens. VI2 even disables game movies.

Ok, try this: Go to your shortcut properties and remove the " -nm" part from the target line. Save and try again. If it still happens, I'd suggest a re-installation.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Great mod guys, my favorite.
    But, alas, I have crashing errors. I first got crashes a while back when I tried to play BI (it started doing this after I reinstalled it); it would crash everytime I tried to start a campaign/battle. People shrugged and told me that I had too many background progresses (not too much help there.. ). When I got VI2, and NI later, they worked fine. They are patched up and everything. Now I got DoB 1.2, and it crashes the same way BI does. I saw your fix concerning the Virtual Store something or other, did what you said, but there was no such thing as a virtual store.
    I am using a Vista btw, not sure what type though....

DoB does not have any CTD issues that we are aware of, let alone consistent ones, so it must be a problem on your end.

If you are using Vista, then you must have a Virtual Store somewhere!

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Well, I typed in Virtual Store, and all that came up was like 20 files that said "read me", and I deleted them all.
    No change.

Update: Nevermind, I found it. Thank you.
    Last edited by Dirty Chai; March 30, 2010 at 05:30 PM.

I only want to say that this mod is awesome! I will spend this weekend only playing it! Thanks

Sigma's Avatar Ducenarius

Ok I have VI II with DoB 1.2 installed. I'm having a problem with the Crowned/Not-Crowned trait. My new Danish king came to power and I sent him to Ribe to be crowned, however he has been there for two turns now and the "Not-Crowned" trait hasn't changed. Is there any idea what is wrong or I could be doing wrong?