Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Installation Instructions, Technical Issues and Support

Default Re: Installation Instructions, Issues and Support

I'm having some trouble upgrading to 1.7.

I had my wife download it from work (we have dialup at home) and transfer it to our gaming computer. So I double-click the patch on the desktop and see the WinRAR message (WinRAR isn't free; buy it after 40 days, etc), close out of that, and extract the patch to the C:/Program Files/Activision/Rome - Total War directory. The progress bar does its thing and I start the game, but it still says it's version 1.6.

So I came here and read around. In another thread, MoN had suggested extracting the patch to a temporary file and then copying it into the directory, so I do that: delete the patch from the Total War directory first, then create a new folder, extract the patch there, and copy it over.

Still no luck: still on version 1.6.

Any ideas? Looking in the directory it seems to have installed - I can see the patch 1.7 sitting there among the other files and folders. It just hasn't changed the game.

Hm, are you sure you have extracted at the right folder (ie not a subfolder or the parent folder)? If that is the case, you should have an extra VI2 folder somewhere.

Not sure why WinRAR is all weird btw, simply extracting the rar into your main RTW folder should work.

I have a question, I have no previous version of this game on my computer so do I need the previous versions before I install 1.7, and if not which 1.7 do I install the "full build" one or the one pertaining to patches 1.6 and earlier???

Keyser Soze's Avatar Domesticus

only what you need is RTW/BI 1.6. than download "full build" 1.7 and install it...
    Last edited by Keyser Soze; May 18, 2009 at 02:35 AM.
    sorry my english.

K thanks alot! I cant wait to start playing

Keyser Soze's Avatar Domesticus

not at all.
    sorry my english.

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Viking Invasion 2 Team,
    I just want to say how impressed I am with this mod, I downloaded installed last night, had a look around and it looks great. It is really good to see how much attention has been payed to simple installation, I re-installed RTW, checked my version, then installed 1.7. What really put me off mods and sub mods, is when you have to mess around with this file and that file, just cannot be bothered.
    My 10 year old son was absolutely delighted , he has played RTW since age 6 and has actually played Viking Invasion on MTW1, so he was thrilled to see what we now have on the PC.

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

This is good to hear, Navajo. We wanted to make VI2 simple and yet fully immersive. Some time was spent eliminating all the unnecessary files from vanilla in the build so that there would be no need for users to make a copy of BI first or have to mess with any files, including batch files. As far as I am aware this is the only mod that sits under the bi folder to have done this.

It's great your son's enjoying it. I wish RTW was out when I was 10

Do feel free to give some feeedback!
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

i cant seem to install the patch for BI
    when i do install the patch (which i downloaded from a link provided in this thread), and i run bi, it says pls select from list when i click on campaigns and the same happens when i click on the campaigns tab for VI2
    and when i go to options in bi it shows ver 1.4 even after the patch has been installed
    The patch also sometimes shows an error msg saying "this patch is meant to patch version 1.3 to 1.5 which is ridiculous since as i said i downloaded the BI patch to 1.6 (once from ur site and once frm somwhere else)
    pls do help me . . . im desperate to play the mod and iv reinstalled the game and rebooted my PC for the entire day today
    i did manage to play the first historical battle in VI2 and that makes me even more crazy since i cant wait to play the full campaign (by the way, the 2nd battle dosnt load and shows an error but then as iv mentioned, iv got patching problems)
    pls tell me how to patch BI to 1.6

Seeing as this is a RTW problem which is commonly reported, I'd suggest asking here.

iv got a problem which iv by and large ignored till now but i guess u should get 2 know
    when a battle is loaded in VI2 on my PC, it shows an error(something like "xyz file cant be found") and this happens almost on all battles involving buildings in the map.
    After i "ok" away all the error messages, the battle loads and everything works just fine except for the fact that no buildings except churches can be seen, not even walls and towers.

Sounds like you've not installed it correctly or your base installation is not clean. No one else has reported this.

it must be the base install caus iv noticed that graphic textures near the gates during siege battles start tearing whenever i play rtw or bi

Probably you installed a mod at some point that was not fully modfoldered. You'll need to reinstall the discs again.

Avoid non-modfoldered mods in the future if you want my advice

I've still got version 1.6, and obviously there have been some great improvements to the mod since then. Since I didn't have luck with the 1.7 patch, I'm considering just installing the full 1.7 build (exe) and then getting the DoB submod.

Is there anything I should be aware of as I try to do this? I've installed a couple of mods in the past, but I've never *un*-installed a mod, and I assume I would need to do that before installing the full 1.7 version. Is it a pretty straightforward process?

Yes, you just delete the vi2 folder, that's all. Then install VI2 (which is already patched to 1.7), then install DoB (which is on version 1.2).

Woo-hoo! It worked - thanks MoN. Now to see how long I can last as the Ui Neill!

Lemming69's Avatar Semisalis

problem sloved ages ago regarding missing shortcut or whatever it was. Your mod is great- hope i didnt spoil the atmosphere lol

Excellent - do share what was going wrong in case others have the same problem.

I have just downloaded this mod and it looks amazing but for some reason I can't play it. :/
    I hav Rome: Total War Gold that I have bought off Steam, and I have made sure tha my BI is updated to 1.6.
    I know that you had a link to the Fourth Age Forums but for some reason or another that thread won't load. I have IE and Firefox. :/ Anyways, anything you can suggest?