Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Installation Instructions, Technical Issues and Support

Default Installation Instructions, Technical Issues and Support

Installation Instructions, Technical Information and Support

Installation

EXE version

1) All you need is a clean (unmodded) installation of RTW - BI 1.6. Other completely modfoldered mods leave the game's original files in tact, so if you have only installed such mods, your installation is considered clean.

2) Before attempting to install VI2, please make sure that your BI has been updated to version 1.6, by starting BI, going to the Options page and checking the top-right corner, where the game's version is mentioned. If your BI is 1.4 and not 1.6, you will have to update it, using the official BI 1.6 patch (get it here or here).

3) After doing that, just run the installer and, when asked to enter the installation path, browse to the main Rome Total War folder. This usually is "C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War", but it may vary depending on your version of RTW (eg, the Eras version uses "The Creative Assembly" folder instead of "Activision"), your system's setup and the location where you installed the game. In any case, it is the main RTW folder, which contains the RTW-BI.exe file.

* DoB: After installing VI2 1.7, you can run the Dominion of Britannia installer. Simply double-click on it and point it to your main RTW directory, as per step 3) right above. DoB will not create a new shortcut, you can continue using the one you used for VI2.

RAR version

1) If you have any problems with the installer then simply use the RAR version. This file must be unzipped and then the VI2 folder it contains should be placed in the bi folder under the RTW directory.

2) You'll also need to set up a shortcut if you use the RAR. Do this by right-clicking the aforementioned .exe file and sending it to desktop (create shortcut). Then right-click the created shortcut and select "properties". In the target field add this to the end:

Code:
     -mod:bi\vi2 -nm -show_err
    NOTE: make sure there is a space before each hyphen including the first.

---
    * DoB: After installing VI2 1.7, you can then use the .rar version of Dominion of Britannia. Simply extract the compressed file and place the VI2 folder it contains in the bi folder under the RTW directory, as per step 1) above, so that it overwrites the existing VI2 folder. DoB will not create a new shortcut, you can continue using the one you used for VI2.

Misc Info

Viking Invasion II will require 431 MB (474 if you also have Dominion of Britannia) of uncompressed space on your hard drive. It is fully modfoldered and does not interfere with your original game files. It is compatible with all other fully modfoldered mods. There are some videos provided below in case you require more help with the installation process.

---

Latest Patches & Hotfixes

If you have version 1.6 or earlier, you will need to install the latest RAR patch (you can find it here). The bi folder in this RAR file should be installed into your Rome Total War directory; select "yes" when asked to overwrite the bi folder (the icon file can also be installed into the RTW directory if you do not already have it).

Dominion of Britannia (which you can also find here) is on version 1.2 and has no patches, but it does require VI2 1.7.

---

Installation Troubleshooter

1. If you are running a 64-bit Windows system or Vista and cannot run the .exe file, first try running the file as administrator and/or disabling User Account Control. If it still does not work, then please download and use the RAR version.

2. If using STEAM then go to "My Games", right-click on the "Barbarian Invasion" item and select "Properties". Select "Set Launch Options" and in the box that comes up enter " -mod:bi\vi2 -nm -show_err" (without the quotation marks). You can then "Create a Desktop Shortcut" for the mod using those parameters or just run it from the launch screen. A Youtube user has made a video about this process that may help:

---

Mod CTDs on Vista

1. If using Vista and the mod crashes to desktop every time you try to play a custom battle or campaign, then you need to locate your "Virtual Store" (C:\Users\AccountName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore), delete all its contents and launch the mod again.

---

If you have further questions or comments then please post here, giving as many details possible about your problem.
    Last edited by MasterOfNone; June 02, 2015 at 10:18 AM.

Lemming69's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Installation Instructions, Issues and Support

I can't find the icon which starts the game- tried installing in BI folder and the main RTW folder- no luck

You mean no shortcut is created on your desktop?

First of all, don't play around with the installation location, you need to point the installer to your main RTW directory, pointing it to BI will just break the mod.
    Secondly, if there's no shortcut, follow step 2. of the RAR-version installation instructions to make one yourself.

i don't mean the desktop shortcut- i look in the VI2 folder and theres only the various files- nothing which I can start to actually run the mod

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Make sure you follow the videos/instructions carefully. No one has had any issues so you've probably done something wrong...
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

for some reason my pc doesnt recognise RARs so i'll have to redownload it. Ive followed everything- no desktop shortcut- nothing in the VI2 folder which lets me play it

The mod uses the already existing RTW-BI.exe that comes with BI, the mod does not install this, so the .exe should be already there, in your main RTW directory.

hey Aradan

Funnily enough
    I couldnt play the campaign from the mod...
    it says
    "Select an item from the list" when i click on the "campaign" tab...
    what could the problem be?

( i said funnily enough Because its the second time it happens this day ! with ur mod and another one wich name i dont remember )
    Last edited by eddy_purpus; April 14, 2009 at 10:25 PM.

This usually occurs when the user has failed to patch up his game to the latest official patch (1.6 in the case of BI) before installing the mod. You'll need to delete your VI2 folder (which sits under you bi folder) and then upgrade your game as per the instructions in the video above. Then reinstall the mod.

Is installing the patch and the mod the same for Vista?

Keyser Soze's Avatar Domesticus

yes, i have Vista and it works well.
    sorry my english.

Wait, can you use a back-up copy to play the mod. Like I mean something that looks a bit like this?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Or would it be better if I just stick to modding the first folder?

Of course, though it's not necessary as vi2 is fully modfoldered. Just make sure you put the right path in the installer when it asks for it.

I have downloaded the 1.7 patch. But for some reason i seem to be having trouble installing it. Thats strange because i did not have trouble patching to 1.6.

I think i am getting the install path wrong. I have the creative assembly version of the game. So do i point the patch at the BI folder or the VII folder when installing it

Just extract it to a temp folder and then go into it and copy *its* vi2 folder over your vi2 folder to update everything.

Extracting a rar file directly to the rome directory may not be a good idea because I believe the settings in winrar can be different.

Got it working now thanks

Default campaign won't start

Iv just finished downloading and installing your mod with the installer but when I started it up and clicked on campaign I just got a message saying "please select an item from the list"

when i closed the program there was another message saying bi/VI2/data.../descr_strat
    line 16 column 1 start date

or some such

I'v looked at the descr strat on my installation and a second one I made in another folder just now and they're exactly the same, however the start date isn't on the 16th line, maybe it should be?

Moved to correct thread - MoN
    Last edited by MasterOfNone; May 05, 2009 at 04:03 AM.

This is almost certainly due to your version of BI not being version 1.6 as per the instructions.

Upgrade BI to 1.6 and try again.

thanks, i will do that

sorry for putting it in the wrong place

Habelo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Installing rtw just cause of this mod, feel honored!

thanks a thousand
    You have a certain mentality, a "you vs them" and i know it is hard to see, but it is only your imagination which makes up enemies everywhere. I haven't professed anything but being neutral so why Do you feel the need to defend yourself from me?. Truly What are you defending? when there is nobody attacking?

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast