Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: A Guide to Export_Descr_Buildings.txt

Default Re: A Guide to Export_Descr_Buildings.txt

Quote Originally Posted by SpyrosM91 View Post
    but why???

all the other "vanilla" building_trees that appear both in cities and in castles, keep that word "... city requires factions {...." for their city parts....
    not all of them, if i use guilds as an example scroll down to the bottom of the edb and use the swordsmith guild as an example, or anyone of them except woodsman guild and you will see what the line should read like.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

I don't remember markets but there are buildings that don't need both castle and city levels by just removing in this case city and let both build it. I'm pretty sure stables is one of them. Markets may also be.

Moon's Avatar Centenarius

Yep thats right Irishron and missiles is another one.

SpyrosM91's Avatar Despotes

yes, they do.. although even if only the 1st level "looses" the castle/city requirement, then the whole tree is available... but where's the problem in Testimus' "new-market-building" code???
    Proud Tsardoms Total War: Historian - Coder - Scripter - Mapper

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

My guess: you forgot the description in text\export_buildings.

There is a nifty EDB Validator around in the text tutorial forum. Works like a charm for me.

Thanks all for trying to help out, much appreciated .

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    My guess: you forgot the description in text\export_buildings.

There is a nifty EDB Validator around in the text tutorial forum. Works like a charm for me.
    I think you are right about that . I believe it's the strings file that needs editing?

@Moon

I tried removing the city requirement from the firts two levels of the market tree (corn_exchange and market) and now the game loads up fine. Still no market building available though. I'll try and follow Gigantus instructions and se what happens. Man if it's that "easy"... I spent hours adjusting the EDB txt

EDIT:
    It works! I screwed up while editing the EDB after Moons instructions, but after removing the city requirement (and saving the changes) it now works.

@Gigantus
    I did edit the text\export_buildings but I don't think it is necessary since it's not a "new" building.
    By just removing the city requirement from the EDB I believe the descr. from text\export_buildings just "follows" the building.
    If I had kept my old modded EDB and created a new Market tree for castles, it would have been neccesary to add a c_corn_exchange and a c_market descr. in text\export_buildings. A good example is farms, there is only one entry for those in the text\export_buildings although they are available for both cities and castles.
    Hope it makes sense, english is not my first language .

Again thanks for helping out!!
    Last edited by Testimus; July 05, 2011 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Updated

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

If you follow up your example of farms, you will see, that there is no 'city' or 'castle' entry in the building line. As such it is in effect only one building (which freely converts from city to castle and vice versa).

If you wanted different effects from the farms when they are converted, then you would have to create a new building tree and then also new text entries in export_buildings.

I made a nifty little tool (Excel spreadsheet) to ease the pain of adding text into text\export_buildings and into text\names: Creating a World – Name Converter

I hope some folks are still hanging around here... here's my question:

I've unpacked my data files and tried to alter my export_descr_buildings file. However, not only do the unit changes (additions, actually) not show up in my games, but my whole game crashes whenever I go to the battlefield screen. I've edited the .txt file with notepad, and notepad++. I've read that the original file was made using microsoft excel (.xls file type). I've even thought of trying to replicate the file using my spreadsheet program, though recreating is daunting due to the size, as well as the fact that I'm not entirely certain how they differentiated the data.

Can anyone offer any assistance?

Delete the map.rwm and start a new campaign.

Delete the two geography files lisyed in the unpacker's readme.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Can't find the map.rwm. Also, is there a certain name to give the batch file needed to use the necessary mod data?

data\world\maps\base is where the map.rwm is 99.9% of the time.

Did you try a search in Computer?

I did. I don't know why, but nothing came up. But I found it with your pathway, and deleted it.

I've altered my export_descr_buildings, and although I managed to get the game not to crash, I'm not seeing my alterations. I'll try again now that that I've deleted the map.rwm. Maybe this time I'll see the changes.

And, in case I forget, thank you for all your help.

You're welcome.

What do I need to do if I wan't ALL factions to have my hidden_resoucre for one region? e.g. Cuman Archers?

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

For units you don't want to depend on the hidden resource don't put it on the recruitment line. If you want it split by factions then have two recruitment lines one for the factions that use the hidden resource one for those that don't.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Sorry, I don't really understand, do I need to put in all factions between the { }?

Getting some results, so at least halfway there, but now a new problem's opened up:

When I check the various buildings (like the castle barracks) they show the correct (modded) units. But when I open up the castle recruitment queue, the units don't show up as recruitable. Any ideas?

Do you have the fctions you want to recruit these troops also listed in the EDU?

What does the log show?

Ah. No, I thought altering the EDB was enough. I'll give the other a look through and see if that helps.

Again, thanks for all the help. You've been a real life (and frustration) saver.