Thread: A Beginner's Guide to the Export_Descr_Unit

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Default Re: A Beginner's Guide to the Export_Descr_Unit

Quote Originally Posted by Mythic_Commodore View Post
    It's cool. Try adding
    [io]
    file_first = true

To the end of the medieval2.preference.cfg (can be foungd in the folder where you installed the game).
    If you add it to the medieval2.preference.cfg you also have to make the file read-only so it doesn't overwrite the addition of file_first on startup. It's recommended you just make a new cfg and run it with a bat file, you don't need to have a mod folder in order to have a different cfg.

Hi

Thats a very nice guide. I was searching for something exactly like this.

I though have a question; can you change the value of the attack rate/the delay between attacks under 0 f.e. -20?

I tried it out and with one unit of archers it seemed to work but with one unit javeline it seemed that it didnt?

I am not sure at all here.

thanks in advance

best regards
    Last edited by Cannor; May 31, 2009 at 06:05 PM.
    Take it with humor
    if this does not work, take it with sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythic_Commodore View Post
    It's cool. Try adding
    [io]
    file_first = true

To the end of the medieval2.preference.cfg (can be foungd in the folder where you installed the game).
    game cannot start when i change the attr of medieval2.preference.cfg to read only.in system.log.txt said :
    16:15:11.395 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    16:15:11.396 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Jun 25 2007 version bld-medieval2-update2.1-30 (43169) ===
    16:15:11.400 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    16:15:11.400 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    16:15:11.402 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    16:15:11.403 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    16:15:11.403 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    16:15:11.404 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    16:15:13.594 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for ANISELECT
    16:15:13.596 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_SABOTAGE
    16:15:13.598 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_TRADE
    16:15:13.610 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for DRAGGABLE
    16:15:13.610 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for DRAGGING
    16:15:13.612 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_MULTIPLE_SELECT
    16:15:13.612 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ATTACK
    16:15:13.612 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_CHARACTER
    16:15:13.612 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_RESOURCE
    16:15:13.612 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_FORT
    16:15:13.612 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_MOVE_OBJECT
    16:15:13.612 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_WATCHTOWER
    16:15:13.612 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_DEPLOYMENT_AREA
    16:15:13.612 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_TILE
    16:15:13.612 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_SPECIAL_PIECE
    16:15:13.612 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PAINT
    16:15:13.613 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ADJUST_HEIGHTS
    16:15:13.613 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_ADD_UNIT
    16:15:13.613 [data.missing] [warning] missing/invalid cursor for MODIFIER_PLACE_SETTLEMENT
    16:15:14.230 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 1985, column 18
    Unrecognised mount type 'mailed horse tp'.
    16:15:14.230 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : error reading record from file data/export_descr_unit.txt.

i have no backup export_descr_unit.txt file. please help me. i am sorry for my english

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Looks like an error in your descr_mounts.txt file (unlikely).
    Or a spelling mistake in the EDU - I can't find a 'mailed horse tp' in the descr_mount.txt, be it vanilla or campaigns.
    Check your edu at that line (1985) and report back.

o yes , export_descr_unit.txt file its ok now.i delete the old file, and i move the unpacker tools to mod/america folder an walah,the new export_descr_unit.txt file already appear(h my bad language).
    but my problem is done yet.i try to modify the javelinmen like add the number of soldiers to 100, change the special attributes, change the weapon i think.. but my game won't start.
    please help...

Blog Entries

No surprise!

Check a few of the tutorials on how to do it properly - and do it slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantus View Post
    Check a few of the tutorials on how to do it properly - and do it slowly.
    i think my mistake on my EDU.when i change number of soldiers.one more help about EDU.why on my edu number of soldiers is 48, than on game is 50?when i change the number to 20 is 25 on game.can you tell me why?

Blog Entries

48 plus one officer plus one general = 50
    The game also adds soldiers according to your unit size settings in options (small, large ...)

ok.i understand now.next i will learning about Export_Descr_Buildings.thank you

Mik55's Avatar Laetus

hey mythic, i think i misunderstood the officer line somehow. I followed what it said so it looks like this
    officer Kurdish Javelinmen < or whatever their called i copied the name
    However, when i start a battle using any unit that contains an officer the game crashes. Can you clarify what needs to be done?

I don't know that much about scripting...so I don't even know if this is possible, hence it may be a goofy question. I see the "stat_heat" attribute. Is there a way to simulate the effects of cold? Maybe with negative values? For instance, take Russia: few armies could march and fight through these lands in the winter because of the cold. I'm not proposing to make it impossible, but just as heat as its effect, so does cold.
    I don't always talk in tautologies, but when I do, I talk in tautologies.

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Technically, yes, but not in the way you're suggesting. The modifications you'd need to make are on the map and climate files. The stat_heat line affects fatigue based on the 'heat value' for a climate. To determine the heat value for each climate, open up descr_climates.txt and under each one there will be something like:
    Code:
    climate sandy_desert
    {
    	colour	102 45 145
    	heat	4
    That heat value is what the EDU line is checking for when it applies what is presumably a modifier, though I'm unaware of the exact numbers. You'd simply want to change the climates which are applied in russia to have a high heat value. I'm not sure whether the game uses this value for any other reasons, like applying humidity to the ground textures, but it seems very, very unlikely. As such you can probably increase the heat value for a winter zone without there being any appreciable effects on the look of it.

Thank you!
    I don't always talk in tautologies, but when I do, I talk in tautologies.

Moon's Avatar Centenarius

; unit_info Info for unit info panel. Melee attack, missile attack, defence

ok, after i add "[io]file_first = true' " and check "read only" my game crashes on every start up????

Blog Entries

ok, after i add "[io]file_first = true' " and check "read only" my game crashes on every start up????
    Welcome to your first crash. Apparently you made a mistake somewhere. Check your log and report the errror message (if any).

Quote Originally Posted by gigantus View Post
    Welcome to your first crash. Apparently you made a mistake somewhere. Check your log and report the errror message (if any).
    would you be able and tell me where is this log? If i delete the "[io]file_first = true'" it starts just fine.

Blog Entries

[io]file_first = true
    This entry enables your changes to be added to the game. If you remove it, the game will only use the original files.
    Your log is in root directory of the game: system.log.txt. It opens with notepad.

Whats the easiest way to change the size of cavalry units from 30 and 10 back to 40 and whatever bodyguards used to be (i think 20)? I thought it would be an easy change of the number in the "soldier" line (60, 48, etc.) but what I am doing is crashing the game on startup everytime. I've tried using Word and Wordpad and saving as .txt but something tells me it changes the format of the file anyways and even the text when its copied and pasted into notepad before saved.

Do I have to use notepad to make all the changes which is not as easy but not terribly difficult? Or is it just a matter of changing a few at a time because I was able to change one or two of the units at one point and that worked out, which is another reason to doubt i have to change other files in edition to Export_Descr_Unit?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast