Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: How to become a Buddha in 5 weeks... or: THE EDU THREAD

Default Re: How to become a Buddha in 5 weeks... or: THE EDU THREAD

In the command line of the shortcut to start the program, just put -ai at the end, same as -show_err and -mod. Start a single player campaign, the background script will start up (fortunately) and the AI will play the whole game with perfect_spy on so you can watch every move. Defintiely want to hit the spacebar to speed up the animations. You can still input console commands (like toggle_fow to hide most of the map and speed things up a LOT). Thing is you'll never get control back, or I can't manage to do it, so when you've seen enough you'll have to ctrl-alt-del.
    Outcome seems ok, but since I was expecting to be able to look at the graphs at the end I didn't watch it much. Just based on the number of armies I have to wonder if there's a town in all Italy with more than 400 pop.

Hister's Avatar Domesticus

Just based on the number of armies I have to wonder if there's a town in all Italy with more than 400 pop.
    What do you mean by "more then 400 pop."?

Thanx for tips how to make AI do all the job. Since I didn't knew this -ai existed I was usually playing as Rhaeti and trying to hold on as long as possible - was fun he he.

Athenogoras, which mods are you also involved in? You work only on EDU? If yes then I will call you "EDU Mercenary". How much do you cost, how many turns does it take for you to be trained and what's your upkeep?
    PROUD MEMBER OF PAENINSULA ITALICA TEAM

For M2TW PI forum click here.
    For RTW PI forum click here.

400 population, the minimum town size. I think the AI Romans had emptied Italy of every possible recruit. Down in the toe of Italy that was still contested, they were keeping Carthage contained with a mob of stacks so dense it was impossible for Carthage to move or for me to see. Same in the Alps where they had rebel problems.

Your way is more fun. It was tough forcing myself to go watch TV and let my PC have all the fun of playing PI

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Athenogoras, which mods are you also involved in? You work only on EDU? If yes then I will call you "EDU Mercenary". How much do you cost, how many turns does it take for you to be trained and what's your upkeep?
    You can try to hire him from on June, until this date he is in the service of the Chivalry kingdom, in the assumption that he has fullfilled then his contract
    And btw. he is not only working on the edu file, but also ai formations and all combat related files (plus some other files).
    Last edited by DaVinci; May 14, 2009 at 10:36 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Patrician Artifex

400 population, the minimum town size. I think the AI Romans had emptied Italy of every possible recruit.
    Something like that happened indeed, but rather later, and it led to unrest in the republic, as more and more slaves made the farming work, and the Roman farmers were bleeded out (a big theme of its own though*) ... one of the reasons of the Marian reforms.

*Brucellarii/FRRE could provide all details.
    Last edited by DaVinci; May 14, 2009 at 10:43 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Athenogoras's Avatar Campidoctor

Athenogoras, which mods are you also involved in? You work only on EDU?
    As DV says. I just do a little work of my own on mods I like. Unfortunately I dont have much time. Just the test I have done yesterday for PI set back Chivalry-release at least 1,5 day.

If yes then I will call you "EDU Mercenary". How much do you cost
    A sausage and a lager, preferably czech(if not I might get cranky and rebel and find another master). I think it is a fair price.

how many turns does it take for you to be trained
    None, I am scripted to appear whenever a modder is in trouble(like Superman)

and what's your upkeep?
    It depends on the masters purse. Big purse big upkeep. Small purse smaller upkeep.

I think you need to look further into the balance between principe-like units and hoplites. With current settings hoplites annihilates principe. The big culprit seems is in my mind the difference in delay.(6 for hoplites, 10 for principe). The delay setting is usually very powerful.

You can try to hire him from on June, until this date he is in the service of the Chivalry kingdom, in the assumption that he has fullfilled then his contract
    And btw. he is not only working on the edu file, but also ai formations and all combat related files (plus some other files).
    Oh I wasn't thinking of asking him to work for PI since our EDU is complete. It was meant purely as a joke really.

Something like that happened indeed, but rather later, and it led to unrest in the republic, as more and more slaves made the farming work, and the Roman farmers were bleeded out (a big theme of its own though*) ... one of the reasons of the Marian reforms.
    Let's call it a feature of the mod then he he.

As DV says. I just do a little work of my own on mods I like. Unfortunately I dont have much time. Just the test I have done yesterday for PI set back Chivalry-release at least 1,5 day.
    Am really thankful for your input Athenogoras! Sorry DV for me causing the delay with Chivalry.

I think you need to look further into the balance between principe-like units and hoplites. With current settings hoplites annihilates principe. The big culprit seems is in my mind the difference in delay.(6 for hoplites, 10 for principe). The delay setting is usually very powerful.
    I see, will look into it!

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

This old chestnut may have been acceptable in 1900, but serious Roman scholarship has moved beyond this idea, you know. It's simply a product of imperial writers projecting aspects of their own society onto the past. The first ever mention of latifundia, for example, is to be found in Pliny the Elder's Natural History. If you look at contemporary Republican discussions of farming, there's no real hint that Roman farmers were "bleeded out". In fact, there's no real hint that there was even any such thing as a "Marian reform". In terms of the army, all he seems to have done was to start using capite censi in times of great crisis, which had in fact been done before (such as during the Second Punic War).

But on a more positive note, I am very much looking forward to PI finally being released as a full mod.

Patrician Artifex

More off-topic, sorry.

This old chestnut may have been acceptable in 1900, but serious Roman scholarship has moved beyond this idea, you know.
    In principle i leave this theme to the experts, what i'm not.

I only know that ca. 2005 as i made a first Roman mod project, together with Bucellarii i discussed this point in detail, including researchment of Roman citizenship, socii status, mercenaries, legion structure, roman population numbers etc.. And later on, this theme was deepened with the FRRE project.

To say it was a view of the 1900c is rather a rough simplification to me. Merely i find it pretty logical that the Roman farmers got more and more problems due to the permanent wartimes, and as these citizens had to serve in the legions without a real pay (for a lot years), afaik: just no compensation of the left farm work/income.
    If Bucellarii (historian, FRRE project) comes now and says, "well, yes this view is old now", then i believe it, because he is the one who actually studies every serious source he can find of the classical Roman timeframe, including modern authors and their interpretations.
    And the 'marian reforms' is just a process for me (whoever named it that way is not important), that the first time, officially it wasn't necessary anymore to be a citizen becoming a legionary, and that there has been a significant mass recruitment of non-citizens. The step to a professional roman army. Am i wrong actually? There must be reason for this process, right?
    Last edited by DaVinci; May 16, 2009 at 12:41 PM.

Hey alter kamerad!

You should know me well enough by now to know that I consistently adopt a position of caution when discussing a subject (ancient history) that holds my profound interest but about which I make no claims of any special knowledge

Anyway whilst it is correct to say the word Latifundium first appears during the Empire (Pliny NH 18.35) there is no universal agreement about what the word actually means. The relevant entry in the Oxford Classical Dictionary succinctly summarises modern debate about the divergent definitions. These include large pastoral ranches beginning in the 3rd cent BC; slave staffed oil-and wine producing villas (either single properties or the scattered estates of one owner) first described by M. Porcius Cato c 160 BC; any property above 50 iugera (125 ha; 309 acres) of whatever period. Regardless of which definition is considered to be the most accurate (and there are others!) Pliny suggests these large estates ruined Italy by forcing peasants from the land.

The traditional view is that the long period of transmarine expansion following the Hannibalic war massively increased the number of slaves in Italy whilst prolonged service in the legions concomitantly resulted in a decline in the population of rural citizen smallholders. Ancient literary sources seem to agree on this (i.e Appian BC 1.7-11 and Plutarch TG 8.1-3). However the archaeological record suggests a more diverse rural landscape, with villa and peasant farmer commonly co-existing during the second century. This has led revisionist modern studies such as Nathan Rosenstein’s, Rome at War: Farms, Families, and Death in the Middle Republic to challenge the concept of Italiae Solitudo. Rosenstein argues continuities rather than change marked the relationship between war and agriculture in the middle Republic; before provocatively suggesting that the vast numbers of men who continued to be conscripted away from rural households during the second century BC actually caused a population increase during the first half of the century. However his arguments are not conclusive.

Standard texts such as P A Brunt’s Italian Manpower 225 BC - AD 14 remain important when trying to understand the second century agrarian crisis, whilst more recent contributers such as C. Nicolet in his essay Economy and society, 133 – 43 BC (CAH Vol IX -second edition 1994) acknowledge the complexities of the evidence without discarding the conventional position. All this, indeed, counsels prudence; but in these pages we shall accept, broadly, the testimony of the literature: small citizen – and no doubt Latin and allied – properties did decline sharply from the second century, for a variety of reasons. However it is also worthwhile observing that Andrew Lintott writes in the same volume there are no good grounds for inferring a general decline of the small independent farmer in the second century.

The related debate about the Roman census figures and the reduction in the property qualification for legionary service during the seond century is too involved to go into here. However suffice to say that the actions taken by Marius, after being authorised to raise a supplementum for the legions in Africa, were less revolutionary than the hostile ancient sources care to admit. Nevertheless these actions are emblematic of a shift, the consequences of which were increasingly witnessed during the convulsions of the first century, that resulted in the interests of the soldiery often appearing to be intrinsically linked with the fortunes of their own leaders. As is widely accepted, the immense forces under arms during the great struggles of this period were mainly drawn from the proletarii
    Last edited by bucellarii; May 17, 2009 at 02:52 AM.

In any case, whether it happened or not IRL, it didn't happen by 234 BC. I suspect the AI's frenzied desire to recruit every living adult male may have something to do with the zero turn recruit times on some units. I don't suppose fraction turn recruit times work? Limit it to 2 or 3 units per turn?

I don't suppose fraction turn recruit times work? Limit it to 2 or 3 units per turn?
    I'm not aware of any such kind of mechanism in RTW BI.

Bucellarii you are brilliant, your knowledge and the will to write about different historical topics amazes me.

P.S.Guys/Girls, I'm off to Croatia for a few days and probably won't have an access to net. See ya all when I return...
    Last edited by Hister; May 17, 2009 at 04:54 AM.

Patrician Artifex

First of all, thanks Bucellarii for these words

Quote Originally Posted by Pode View Post
    In any case, whether it happened or not IRL, it didn't happen by 234 BC. I suspect the AI's frenzied desire to recruit every living adult male may have something to do with the zero turn recruit times on some units. I don't suppose fraction turn recruit times work? Limit it to 2 or 3 units per turn?
    Not possible with the RTW engine, as Hister says already.

The only option is indeed to limit the recruitment options down, this via edb in the recruit capabilities (buildings, tiers), and of course to look very accurate, where it makes sense to have zero recruitment time for a unit, and to increase eventually the needed turn numbers, and increase costs. Further it would help to increase the growth rates (edb and with the dr file), but only if it is secured that the AI won't spam still more units ... and btw., balancing a mod properly is a longtime-job.

Ok...here some suggestions on stats.

First phalanx(changes in red)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    type Phalangitai Makedonikoi
    dictionary Phalangitai_Makedonikoi ; Phalangitai Makedonikoi
    category infantry
    class spearmen
    voice_type Light_1
    soldier Phalangitai_Makedonikoi, 60, 0, 1.46, 0.4
    attributes sea_faring, frighten_foot, frighten_mounted, hardy
    formation 1.45, 0.8, 1.45, 0.8, 8, square, phalanx
    stat_health 1, 4
    stat_pri 1, 1, no, 0, 0, melee, blade, piercing, spear, 5 ,4.0
    stat_pri_attr light_spear, long_pike, area
    stat_sec 2, 1, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, sword, 8 ,3.0
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 10, 1, 3, flesh
    stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
    stat_heat 0
    stat_ground -2, -1, -3, 0
    stat_mental 19, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 10
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 3, 790, 316, 160, 120, 790
    ownership romano_british, slave

type Phalangitai Epeirotikoi
    dictionary Phalangitai_Epeirotikoi ; Phalangitai Epeirotikoi
    category infantry
    class spearmen
    voice_type Light_1
    soldier Phalangitai_Epeirotikoi, 60, 0, 1.44, 0.4
    attributes sea_faring, frighten_foot, frighten_mounted, hardy
    formation 1.45, 0.8, 1.45, 0.8, 8, square, phalanx
    stat_health 1, 4
    stat_pri 1, 1, no, 0, 0, melee, blade, piercing, spear, 5 ,4.0
    stat_pri_attr light_spear, long_pike, area
    stat_sec 2, 1, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, sword, 9 ,3.0
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 8, 1, 3, flesh
    stat_heat 0
    stat_ground -2, -2, -3, 0
    stat_mental 18, disciplined, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 10
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 3, 685, 274, 160, 100, 685
    ownership romano_british, slave

Hoplite

type Hoplitai Herakleioi
    dictionary Hoplitai_Herakleioi ; Hoplitai Herakleioi
    category infantry
    class spearmen
    voice_type Medium_1
    soldier Hoplitai_Herakleioi, 60, 0, 1.34, 0.23
    mount_effect horse +6, chariot +4
    attributes sea_faring, frighten_mounted, hardy
    formation 0.8, 0.8, 1.6, 1.6, 5, square
    stat_health 1, 4
    stat_pri 11, 26, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, spear, 6 ,0.23
    stat_pri_attr no
    stat_sec 0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, no, no, none, 0 ,1
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 7, 4, 5, metal
    stat_heat 0
    stat_ground -2, -3, -2, -1
    stat_mental 17, normal, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 9
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 2, 640, 256, 140, 130, 640
    ownership eastern, slave

These changes will make hoplitecharge more effective(use 8 or 9 as distance)

Principes

type Principes Romani
    dictionary Principes_Romani ; Princeps Romani
    category infantry
    class heavy
    voice_type Heavy_1
    soldier Principes_Romani+Latini, 40, 0, 1.26, 0.3
    attributes sea_faring, hardy
    formation 1.05, 2, 2, 4, 4, square
    stat_health 1, 6
    stat_pri 16, 14, pilum, 31, 2, thrown, blade, piercing, spear, 0 ,1
    stat_pri_attr prec, thrown
    stat_sec 14, 14, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, sword, 4 ,0.28
    stat_sec_attr no
    stat_pri_armour 6, 5, 5, metal
    stat_heat 0
    stat_ground 1, -3, 0, 0
    stat_mental 16, normal, highly_trained
    stat_charge_dist 30
    stat_fire_delay 0
    stat_food 60, 300
    stat_cost 1, 670, 268, 160, 120, 670
    ownership empire_west, slave

I changed width to make them slightly more width than hoplite. Increased mass for better performance against phalanx. Reduced delay for better overall performance(they still lose to hoplites in all terraines though, albeit not horribly defeated as before).
    Last edited by Athenogoras; May 17, 2009 at 05:21 PM.

Patrician Artifex

I changed width to make them slightly more width than hoplite. Increased mass for better performance against phalanx. Reduced delay for better overall performance(they still lose to hoplites in all terraines though, albeit not horribly defeated as before).
    Bold: That's interesting.
    How is the outcome with autoresolved battles?
    Will the principes win due to the higher sec hp?

Quite strange: As Pode observed, Roman AI subjugates the map, besides Carthage, what i think is a good sign for the intended historical design (with a basic AI-outcome-test).

As Roman human player, how will it be possible to win vs. the greek southern Italy etc., if these factions have a lot superior Hoplites and Phalanx units available?
    Or in other words (vice versa), will the Greek human player (or other factions with Hoplites/Phalanx) have an easy game vs. the Romans in AI hands?

Imo., basicly viewed, as Roman Legionaries (Hastati and Principes) have only 40 men to 60 Hoplites/Phalanx men, there should be a more sensible balance between these units.
    Last edited by DaVinci; May 18, 2009 at 11:58 AM.

Bold: That's interesting.
    How is the outcome with autoresolved battles?
    Will the principes win due to the higher sec hp?
    Not tested autoresolved battles. Obviously the phalanx need more hitpoints since their stats are so nerfed. I am very happy with the balance phalanx-hoplites. It needs to be tested with bigger battles so that the combined effects of the frighten-attribute shows. In one on one it is a even match but if a whole line engages phalanx will win every time(but not without losses). I think also this frighten-attribute (in a indirect way) makes it better for the player to actually have a thick phalanx(instead of spread out) since a more thick units allows more units per area and though the attribute affects more enemy soldiers.

In original EDU principes-like units are much weaker. I just assumed that this was intended, I simply made it so that principes becomes more strong(not less), but lose nonetheless. I also assumed the numbers of soldiers as a constant. I didnt want to change that since I assumed this also was intended.

Patrician Artifex

Yes, sure, you are anyway not responsible

Well, my points remain for an ongoing balance-discussion imo., means eventually, campaign outcome-reports are needed, where the factions in question are played deep into the campaign.

I at least must say, find it odd, if Principes loose always vs. a Phalanx or Hoplite unit, not sure actually, but sounds quite ahistorical to me.
    Last edited by DaVinci; May 18, 2009 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    I at least must say, find it odd, if Principes loose always vs. a Phalanx or Hoplite unit, not sure actually, but sounds quite ahistorical to me.
    I agree, it's quite odd... I didn't remember exactly, and I cannot test them right now because I uninstalled RTW to avoid the temptations of the Dark Side, but IIRC Principes were quite badasses in my latest model But here comes a big question, I mean the balance of hoplitic-units vs. Romani: what are your opinions about how the outcome should be?

Patrician Artifex

Hi Aper, a healthy decision to keep yourself away from RTW.

I personally think, Principes (not always Hastati), shall be at least on par with every kind of Hoplites and Phalanx. As we know, Principes are the battle-experienced Legionaries.
    Then Triarii should be superior to normal Hoplites and Phalanx, while at least on par with elite Hoplites and Phalanx, imo., eventually slight better, as for less men in edu.

One thought comes now, if Atheno is testing the units in custom battle mode, he eventually hasn't recognized that Principes must get exp points (via edb at least, it is a must, that they have 1 exp point as minimum, Triarii 2 exp as minimum).

However, it's now Hister's thing to make it right.
    Last edited by DaVinci; May 19, 2009 at 09:39 AM.